• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi VODs

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Batch one of some new yoshi matches!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GzV6F-Wrc VS Golden (Lucario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GzV6F-Wrc VS HM04 (Mewtwo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsLKlkCj1Is VS 6AM (Link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBM4DTNTRk VS 6AM (Link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqEd-Appr24 VS Dual (Lucas)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3AE-tq7mY VS Sevshun (Squirtle/Charizard)

Look forward to the matches from this week, they'll be up sometime this weekend!
I just finished watching a few of your matches (not all of them, sorry, I'll do that later though). But have you considered following a down-throw with a fair? I know it isn't guaranteed, but I kept seeing the opportunity there in your match vs HM04. And if you full hop to fair then you can do an up-air if your opponent doesn't tech or DI the fair properly. I had great success with that at a tournament I went to this weekend. Unfortunately didn't get to play on stream or record my matches though.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
So mewtwo can catch me with his own forward air if i ever go for dthrow to fair against him. Since hes the one person i play against the most he knows this very well.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
So what is more guaranteed? Up-air? Nair? Can you follow up after either of those moves at all?
Up-air is guaranteed most of the time, same with nair. Up-air has amazing followups. Nair can have some if DJCed, but it's better used to get people off stage and start edgeguarding them or as a DI mixup between upair to kill.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Up-air is guaranteed most of the time, same with nair. Up-air has amazing followups. Nair can have some if DJCed, but it's better used to get people off stage and start edgeguarding them or as a DI mixup between upair to kill.
is there a thread devoted to combos? I've been trying to come up with some. I know Yoshi isn't like Wolf or anything, but surely he's got some bread and butter that will lead to like 70-80%.

Also, don't know how viable this is, but I know yoshi gets chain grabs on a few characters too. They're difficult to land (from my experience), but do you think that implementing them in an actual fight would be useful/viable?

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
is there a thread devoted to combos? I've been trying to come up with some. I know Yoshi isn't like Wolf or anything, but surely he's got some bread and butter that will lead to like 70-80%.

Also, don't know how viable this is, but I know yoshi gets chain grabs on a few characters too. They're difficult to land (from my experience), but do you think that implementing them in an actual fight would be useful/viable?
I don't think there's a thread for combos, might be interesting to make one

I know that Yoshi, when very precise with pivot grabs and such, can *I think* chaingrab spacies to pretty high %s with uthrow. I think. I haven't tested it much, only messed around a bit. If you can land them it can be useful, but it's usually only possible with bad DI, and in that case you can probably capitalize with something else rather than giving them a second chance to correct their DI and get out a little nicer

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I did some thorough testing with chain grabs last night, and you can downthrow chain grab sheik with the mouth grab box pretty guaranteed. Granted, it isn't easy (hitting that grab box is pretty hard), but it IS doable. And I had my room mate try anything he could to break out. She can't nair out, she can't jump out (to my knowledge, I'll have to get someone more adept at playing to help me test), if she DI's forward to Yoshi then it actually makes it easier to catch her, it makes it super hard to catch her if she DI's behind but you can get her with a pivot grab on the mouth grab box. Again, I'll have to do some more testing and playing around.

I'll start a combo thread in a little bit, hopefully it'll take off because I get the feeling the little dino we all know and love can do some sick stuff haha.

(In case you were wondering, the chain grab seemed to work on Shiek, Roy, and Diddy Kong the best. I'm going to do some more testing tonight, and if you guys care to know then I'll post it in the combo thread that I'll link to from here)

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there's a thread for combos, might be interesting to make one

I know that Yoshi, when very precise with pivot grabs and such, can *I think* chaingrab spacies to pretty high %s with uthrow. I think. I haven't tested it much, only messed around a bit. If you can land them it can be useful, but it's usually only possible with bad DI, and in that case you can probably capitalize with something else rather than giving them a second chance to correct their DI and get out a little nicer
I'm going to test out this spacie chain grab. I tried to get something going last night with it with very little success. I tried to do something like Marth does with forward throw (the forward throw to forward throw to forward throw... thing marth does sometimes). And I'll have to double check, but I think it does about the same as marth if you're quick enough with the spacies (which isn't too hard because none of them are exactly heavy)

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
I'm going to test out this spacie chain grab. I tried to get something going last night with it with very little success. I tried to do something like Marth does with forward throw (the forward throw to forward throw to forward throw... thing marth does sometimes). And I'll have to double check, but I think it does about the same as marth if you're quick enough with the spacies (which isn't too hard because none of them are exactly heavy)
I've done it on CPU wolf for quite a while, like, up to 130% with no DI by switching to dthrow around 60ish I think

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I've done it on CPU wolf for quite a while, like, up to 130% with no DI by switching to dthrow around 60ish I think
sounds hella difficult. but i mean, in melee there are marths who do pivot grabs (which I was told requires 1 frame inputs) so like, not the worst thing in the world I guess

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
sounds hella difficult. but i mean, in melee there are marths who do pivot grabs (which I was told requires 1 frame inputs) so like, not the worst thing in the world I guess
Yeah, it's retardedly precise pretty much the whole time, especially at low %s, 'cause against real people you have to react to the DI very quickly. It's possible, just very very hard.

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
Yo guys,
Got some good stuff here. Even though I lost, I thought I had some good plays. let me know what you think. My matches start at 2:09:40

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/763656

Its hard for me to tell what Im doing to much, or too little of. . . but I think my main issue is I dont know how to approach well and up getting punished almost everytime. Also, I think I get flustered and have a lot of missed inputs in key moments.

EDIT: Some things I also see, too much unsafe egg bomb/roll. . .
The luigi MU is tough for me. Hes hard to combo, he has crazy priority on everything, his fireball destroys my approach options, and his fast aerials mean he can break DJ with one and hit with a second one right after. . .

I think in the fox MU the kid just had better reads and was a bit faster than me in reaction.

Last edited:

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys,
Got some good stuff here. Even though I lost, I thought I had some good plays. let me know what you think. My matches start at 2:09:40

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/763656

Its hard for me to tell what Im doing to much, or too little of. . . but I think my main issue is I dont know how to approach well and up getting punished almost everytime. Also, I think I get flustered and have a lot of missed inputs in key moments.
Well I don't think you're wrong about your own observations. Your approaches weren't great. In the first game you kept trying to approach with the egg-roll (side-b? idk what you guys call this), and that's not really great against a player who can see you coming a mile away and has a move like Luigi's up-smash. If I'm not wrong, Luigi's up-smash has invincibility or something that makes it super good on his head, and if he times it right he can just crush your hopes and dreams of hitting him with the egg-roll.

The second game started off super good for you (on a stage that I really dislike as Yoshi so I was impressed), but then it just kinda hit the fan and the Luigi player figured you out. I don't remember the specifics, but you were doing a pretty good job of stuffing his approaches at first. And then I think you might've gotten over-confident, and then you didn't adapt to him figuring you out.

With a match-up like Luigi where you can't really get guaranteed down-throw combos, you have to play extra patient (it sucks...).

I haven't tested this out, but I think you can get some easy damage on Luigi, if you happen to catch him with a grab, and he doesn't buffer a roll or something, and you forward-throw him and then rinse and repeat (as in forward-throw->dash->forward-throw->and so on and so forth until it stops working). Again, I'm not sure if this works at all. He may be too floaty and you may just have to settle for the poking game where you stay the heck away from him and just keep chipping away at him periodically.

A good bit of this is just me thinking. There's no one around me that plays Luigi, so I don't really know about the forward throw or if he's truly uncomboable. <--- that's totally a word.

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I definitely feel like he adjusted to me, and I didnt quite see until it was too late. . . I think with Luigi the poking game is definitely the way to go. I routinely play with a good luigi main and have yet to find guaranteed combos. Ill try the forward throw though, if he doesnt have a chance to Nair then it could work.

EDIT: It doesnt work... he has a chance to Nair. Or DI up and out.

Last edited:

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I was hoping I could get some feedback/constructive criticism on a match I had at a tournament a few weeks bacl. Anything that could help out my Yoshi play.

vs Den (Fox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3qyMDhhEM
Ok, so... I won't sugar-coat anything. You've got some work to do.
- First match on the first stock, you saw success mainly due to the fact that the Fox player probably hadn't had a grasp on the matchup.
- You double jump WAAAAAAAY too much and WAAAAAAAY too HIGH. Yoshi's double jump is the most precious double jump in the game. Without it, he's easily juggled to the ledge and killed. Stay near the ground.
- The Fox player managed to spot dodge most (if not all) of your grabs. You need to try to mix up the grab timings with dash-dancing if you hope to land one. You can easily bait spot-dodges with dash dancing.
- This one is just my opinion, I don't know if I'm completely correct but I'll say it anyway so take it as you will. You need to work on movement. Yoshi is NOT the fastest character in the game, but he is most certainly not slow. Never appear as though your opponent is dictating the speed of the match. You tried to slow him down, but it was fruitless it seemed. Don't move without purpose of course, but move better. More smoothly.
- If you decide to throw out an aerial move from a double jump, make sure you are close to the ground. There were several times when you did a move from a double jump that could've been the end of you but the Fox CHOSE to not capitalize (which was smart of him really considering he seemed unfamiliar with fighting our dino friend).

On the positive side, you got a good pivot grab and you managed to stay safe while doing a F-air on his shield by following with jabs.

No worries, you can definitely get better.

Things to note against fox: low percents are difficult to combo him, try poking for a while. And don't forget that down-tilt is a set knockback. If you can bait him towards the ledge (or force him there with damage) you can down-tilt him off-stage and then go for a gimp for a quick kill (especially if you can stuff that double jump). Stay close enough to make him feel uncomfortable using lasers (they weren't an issue in your match, but trust me. they do a lot more than they appear to do).

BrownYoshi

Smash Rookie
Good. Don't sugarcoat.
Thanks! I'll try to keep those in mind.
I do DJ a lot. I basically do it either because I'm going to throw out a DJC aerial or I'm trying to get away from my opponent until I can get a better approach point, although more often than not it just makes my landing easier for my opponent to read...
Dash Dancing I've built in a bad habit of, when I do it, I go back and forth about 2 or 3 times and then throw out a grab, regardless of where my opponent is. I've just built that into my physical memory, and that's not good because it works roughly 15% of the time, but for some reason I have trouble thinking when I'm doing it. This is basically why I don't dash dance much at the moment. I'll practice mixing it up so I can break that habit.
My movement is very rough. It's, in my opinion, the most notable problem of mine when I look at how I move and how other players move.
I appreciate the feedback!

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
Yo just saw some new content by burnt socks (@PM in the pm). You can look it up.
I dont want to post it myself just yet cuz I want to give him a chance to post his own work. But theyre out there.

Top Bottom