• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Hello fellow yoshi players, i wanted to share just a quick highlight/compilation of some of the best moments of my Yoshi in For Glory on the 3DS let me know if its fine to post it here, if not let me know i will delete my post if neccesary, just wanted to share if thats okay and if i can some feed back on the video itself, does anyone mind if gameplay has commentary over it? should i do full matches? or just keep on doing these type of short videos? please let me know and have a nice day :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Mkw4PSM1A

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
@ SmashRacer SmashRacer
I'll watch that either tonight or tomorrow morning once I get home. It's hard to watch twitch vods and take notes using a phone ;-;

Heya guys. I got to play Ally in pools on stream a couple days ago, and I'd like to know what went wrong for me during game 2 or how he adapted game 1. Felt like I had him in the neutral game at the start, but man does he adapt fast lol (or I guess I might've changed my game plan? I'm not sure. I definitely played safer. )

https://youtu.be/HqxP2R9CqckCqck

Any and all feedback would be appreciated
(And yes, every egg roll was an execution error ;-; )

Last edited:

Haahp

Smash Rookie
Reg in that first game it seemed like Ally didn't fear grab half way through at all and just waited for unsafe hits on shield.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
@ Regralht Regralht Very good movement in both matches. I really like the stage spike you got with Yoshi Bomb in Game 2 and love those B-Reverses and Wavebounces you got with Egg Lay.
What controller is that exactly? Never seen it before. Looks kinda funny

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
@ Regralht Regralht Very good movement in both matches. I really like the stage spike you got with Yoshi Bomb in Game 2 and love those B-Reverses and Wavebounces you got with Egg Lay.
What controller is that exactly? Never seen it before. Looks kinda funny
ASCII GC controller for Phantasy Star Online 2. Works great for PC games, and makes my wrists not feel cramped lol.

The keyboard itself only works for certain games, so yeah it's mostly for PC stuff ;-;

@ SmashRacer SmashRacer

I think the main thing that you should work on, is throwing out less attacks (I'm just generalizing, I'll explain why lol. Less isn't always better)

It seems like you throw out attacks at every opportunity you get, trying to simply hit your opponent. The opponent is doing the same thing, so you should sometimes try to focus your attacks on countering whatever option your opponent picked (whatever attack you picked didn't seem to deal with whatever your opponent might throw out, such as always trying to hit them with your attack right when they get into range). Incorporating some patience and waiting for the right moment to strike, rather than artificially creating openings would help you a lot in my opinion.

Your punish game could use some work. I'm not sure if those were input errors, but your aerial attack follow ups generally missed.

Your spacing against a shield could also use some work. Most attacks that you threw out in neutral were greatly unsafe if the opponent shielded, such as doing an unsafe nair, egg toss or landing too close to them after whiffing.

Edit: *** I forgot about double posting. Sorry mods ;-;

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
@ Regralht Regralht
Thanks for the critique. I can definetly see there is room for improvevent in those 3 areas. Mostly throwing out less attacks. Luckily I have bookmarked all my matches against streamers on Twitch

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ SmashRacer SmashRacer
I'll watch that either tonight or tomorrow morning once I get home. It's hard to watch twitch vods and take notes using a phone ;-;

Heya guys. I got to play Ally in pools on stream a couple days ago, and I'd like to know what went wrong for me during game 2 or how he adapted game 1. Felt like I had him in the neutral game at the start, but man does he adapt fast lol (or I guess I might've changed my game plan? I'm not sure. I definitely played safer. )

https://youtu.be/HqxP2R9CqckCqck

Any and all feedback would be appreciated
(And yes, every egg roll was an execution error ;-; )
So, here's the sort of progression I noticed:

1. Your neutral consisted mainly of SHAD > Aerial. It was working.
  2. Early Game 1, Ally figured out how to beat SHAD > Aerial. You can tell because he started holding shield, then when you jumped at him, he'd Jump > Nair/Bair, stuffing you. Download complete.
  3. You (understandably) slowed down your neutral game, because it wasn't working. You needed to find something else to try.
  4. Ally responds by controlling the pace. Getting in your face, or baiting out your sort of panicky actions (raw Nairs/Fairs, lots of wavebounced Egg Lays).
  5. You regress back to trying SHAD, which still doesn't work for the most part.
I think once you hit Step 3 you really needed to try a different style. I'd advise trying to be aware of three styles of Neutral: SHAD, SHET, and grounded baiting/punishing (dash grabs, dash Usmash, dash attack, etc). You really never tried anything outside of SHAD, and when that stopped working you still stuck to a mainly aerial approach that resembled SHAD tactics, just minus the AD.

I think if, when you slowed it down, you tried to switch to SHET, you would have had more success. Maybe even a combination of grounded baits for close/close-mid range, and SHET when you had more space, would have worked. This lets you get him off the SHAD scent, and then you can try working SHAD back in. But against a player like Ally, you can't rely on that one thing, because he'll just download it and you'll get destroyed.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
So, here's the sort of progression I noticed:

1. Your neutral consisted mainly of SHAD > Aerial. It was working.
  2. Early Game 1, Ally figured out how to beat SHAD > Aerial. You can tell because he started holding shield, then when you jumped at him, he'd Jump > Nair/Bair, stuffing you. Download complete.
Also, I noticed as the game progressed, you stopped using Neutral B as much, which made shields even safer for Ally.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
To be fair, neutral B is kinda of slow and doesn't work against grounded opponents that well, considering we can't DJC. Reg got punished for using it multiple times as well.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
My first time posting in this thread ever
Here was a match that a had against Ninjalink on his stream
Any critiques would be helpful.
https://youtu.be/wbfeUMxVrOc?t=193
I recommend that instead of trying Jab -> Down B, try using Jab -> Smash Attack because Down B is dumb and the last hit doesn't connect sometimes.

When you lost your first stock, something you could have done to avoid that death was using Down B to grab the ledge quicker.

You need to use tilts more. Dtilt for spacing and pressure and Utilt to start combos.

Don't try fairing someone while you're returning to the stage and they're waiting for you. You lost your 2 stocks because you decided to use Fair instead of grabbing the ledge or returning to neutral.

I also noticed that you wasted some opportunities to hit him. For example 4:17 where you hit him with a jab1 but decided to ran away from him after that.

Last edited:

Retoman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Retoman7
I recommend that instead of trying Jab -> Down B, try using Jab -> Smash Attack because Down B is dumb and the last hit doesn't connect sometimes.

When you lost your first stock, something you could have done to avoid that death was using Down B to grab the ledge quicker.

You need to use tilts more. Dtilt for spacing and pressure and Utilt to start combos.
I'm going start using down b because I've had it fail on multiple occasions, it just always felt easier for me to buffer the egg bomb at times.
I've never once considered using dtilt for spacing because im always unsure what the optimal safe range is but I'll but more practice into it.

Retoman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Retoman7
Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I posted this some days ago in another thread by mistake and only noticed it now lol

It's a set win against the best Sonic in my region.

Last edited:

fuzyll

Smash Rookie
We have weekly tournaments that I run in my area and I finally won one! Our best two players thought they'd be able to play random or low-tier characters and still beat us, which caused them to be taken out fairly early in the bracket. :p

Here's my finals match against Nani (Link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpdi5rsysIY&t=37m12s

The first game was pretty bad (my first stock features an embarrassing SD - thought I'd already used my second jump, but hadn't). The next two were much better.

Even though I won, comparing my play against Lukinhas, Slice, Raptor, etc, it's immediately apparent that my play is still sub-par. Would like to see what feedback you all might have and how it compares to what I've noticed. :)

fuzyll

Smash Rookie
This is the only match I watched (the video quality is unfortunate :() Three comments:

1. You sometimes throw out attacks that have no hope of connecting, but are pretty punishable. I do the same thing and working on being more patient has really helped me improve.

2. Where are the eggs?! I think I only saw 2-3 over both games! Your playstyle is far more close-quarters than mine, which I think works in your favor, but you should at least be attempting to zone/trap people with them.

3. You, just like me, never use Yoshi's neutral-B. Watch some of Raptor's games - it's a great move. It's worth using as a mix-up at minimum.

----

A friend of mine thought my approach was novel and wanted me to mention this... To improve, I've been watching some videos posted here and taking note of what people input. Here's some of the data I collected:

Raptor vs. Owsla G1 @ Smash Attack

* Uair: 2
* Nair: 9
* Fair: 16
* Bair: 1
* Dair: 4
* UpB: 19
* DownB: 1
* Utilt: 1
* Ftilt: 0
* Dtilt: 2
* Jab: 11
* Grab: 3
* NeutralB: 11
* SideB: 0
* Usmash: 4
* Fsmash: 2
* Dsmash: 1
* DashA: 0
* Roll: 1

Raptor vs. Owsla G2 @ Smash Attack

* Uair: 6
* Nair: 10
* Fair: 14
* Bair: 1
* Dair: 6
* UpB: 29
* DownB: 4
* Utilt: 2
* Dtilt: 3
* Jab: 11
* Grab: 6
* NeutralB: 17
* SideB: 1
* Usmash: 9
* Fsmash: 0
* Dsmash: 0
* DashA: 2
* Roll: 1

Raptor vs. Mike Kirby G1 @ Smash Attack

* Uair: 4
* Nair: 10
* Fair: 23
* Bair: 2
* Dair: 9
* UpB: 35
* DownB: 2
* Utilt: 5
* Dtilt: 11
* Jab: 18
* Grab: 4
* NeutralB: 25
* SideB: 0
* Usmash: 3
* DashA: 4
* Roll: 3

Raptor vs. Mike Kirby G2 @ Smash Attack

* Uair: 3
* Nair: 13
* Fair: 26
* Bair: 3
* Dair: 9
* UpB: 32
* DownB: 2
* Utilt: 0
* Dtilt: 10
* Jab: 13
* Grab: 9
* NeutralB: 22
* SideB: 2
* Usmash: 9
* Roll: 3

YelloRello vs. Akiro G2 @ Smash 4 Worldwide

* Uair: 12
* Nair: 23
* Fair: 4
* Bair: 4
* UpB: 51
* DownB: 3
* Utilt: 7
* Ftilt: 2
* Dtilt: 17
* Jab: 5
* Grab: 4
* NeutralB: 8
* SideB: 1
* Usmash: 11
* Fsmash: 1
* Dsmash: 2
* DashA: 5
* Roll: 0

Flow-Yo vs. Fye G1 @ STL BarWarz

* Uair: 9
* Nair: 12
* Fair: 48
* Bair: 9
* UpB: 40
* DownB: 4
* Utilt: 6
* Ftilt: 5
* Dtilt: 12
* Jab: 13
* Grab: 9
* NeutralB: 10
* SideB: 3
* Usmash: 5
* Fsmash: 2
* Dsmash: 1
* Roll: 0

It's kinda interesting to look at. YelloRello looks like he spams eggs WAY too much. Flow-Yo does the same in addition to spamming Fair. Raptor NEVER uses Ftilt for some reason and almost never uses Fsmash or Dsmash (I understand the lag on Fsmash, but why no Dsmash?). He also uses far more egg lays than anyone I've watched (many of them reversed).

The observation that probably helped me the most, though, was seeing how often people roll (8 rolls in 6 games!) or use dash attacks (only 12 total!). The video I posted above is after my having made these observations. If you watch any of my earlier stuff (same channel), you'll see just how bad I was with these. It makes sense, too - rolling and dashing take away options and neither of them will get you kills.

Thoughts?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ftilt is a inferior Dtilt (less range and more ending lag for the benefit of 1%~2% more damage) so there's no reason to use it really

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The angle on ftilt might be more preferable to the one on dtilt, since ftilt pops people up? That's all I can think of.

Amazing write up fuzyll. I think it might actually be worth checking these kinds of inputs for various levels of Yoshis, and then maybe compiling a few example per match up or player, along with whether the game was a win or a loss. It would be a lot of work for questionable results, but it could possibly provide good insight into what moves actually work in a match up (or in general) and what doesn't.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Yo thanks so much for the input count fuzzy. That's a very interesting approach and I never noticed how much I use certain moves and how little I use certain smash attacks. Based on the data I think I need to work on my ground game. Also, I agree with Deltas post.

Heavenraven

Smash Rookie
NNID
Heavenraven
I placed 3rd in a Finnish monthly and got finally some replays uploaded. Tbh I was a bit nervous, played more cautiously than usual (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and did some dumb mistakes. Needless to say, not my best sets in the bracket. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/JOdnHdeOpMU Winners finals, vs. TriFroze (Falcon)
https://youtu.be/-OSEmDPqMuY Losers finals, vs. Loota (Lucario)

That approach is pretty interesting fuzyll, I think I'll try it out as well.

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
how does yoshidora do that move where hes moving back in the air while neutral b'ing in front of him?

https://youtu.be/MHNlCaiAvys?t=1m50s

here for example. he jumps to the right. and then some how he starts moving to the left while neutral b'ing to the right?

looks almost like hes doing a b reverse DJC. but i thought DJC doesnt work on yoshi in ssb4?

sorry if this a pretty simple tech. day 1 ssb4 player atm. coming from PM.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
I keep losing to the same sonic main over and over, any advice on what I did wrong / how to play neutral against sonic would be appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhbtJBibs4

@ fuzyll fuzyll ayyy sick approach to video studying. I'll probably do that for some recent yoshi videos and post em here as an edit prob ehhhhh, by sunday or so.

Edit: I put it in a new post instead, here

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I keep losing to the same sonic main over and over, any advice on what I did wrong / how to play neutral against sonic would be appreciated.

@ fuzyll fuzyll ayyy sick approach to video studying. I'll probably do that for some recent yoshi videos and post em here as an edit prob ehhhhh, by sunday or so.
Reg, you did well, but the reason you lost the first match was because of a single thing: You got killed at the moment that you should have killed him instead. He used Usmash when you were at the ledge twice. It was a free Uair kill at the second time he did it if you had captalized this habit, but instead, you got out of the ledge with a SH Air dodge and was killed by the last hit of his Usmash. After that he just tried to do some damage to you and avoided being killed.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

So, I didn't see anything blatantly wrong. Most of what you did seemed solid to me. SHAD was working and all that. I think there are a few things you can do that will reduce the amount of times you end up punished.

• When Sonic is in the middle of charging spindash, DO NOT COMMIT TO ANYTHING. A SHAD approach here loses because Sonic is basically a constantly active hitbox. You need him to release the charge before attempting to do anything. I noticed you trying to do stuff to him while he was charging and it almost always resulted in you getting hit.
  • Do not commit to something from long range. Sonic is really fast, and every time I saw you try to SHAD or something from far away, you got punished. At the midrange, you did much, MUCH better. But at long range your approaches kept getting destroyed.
And that's... about it? I think you air dodged at poor times, but those were more individual cases and not systematic errors to me. The matches are close, but I think you're losing out because you're getting punished more than he is.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Down B less, roll less, don't use Dair to punish too much cause they can throw out literally anything to beat it.
Use a few more eggs and safe fast moves like dtilt or jab over DA or dair.
Bout it, nothing spectacular.

F

FennerGuy1992

oh ok. I punish the players with my Dair too much:awesome: so cheap (almost 1/2 as cheap as Pac-Man's glitches lately)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Minor video dump:

vs Big D (Rosalina)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnC5Nc_O1ZE
I'm garbage against this character and any insight into what I'm doing wrong/what I should be doing more would be greatly appreciated. >_> I have no idea how to approach/play the neutral or get KOs. There's only one match because I give up and switch to my trashy pocket Robin for the rest of the set (which does better in the next game than my Yoshi did)

vs Agias (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eOXOAQjE70
This video is actually mis-labeled; it has two sets, the first of which is me vs Agias. The second set is...

vs Captain L (Pikachu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eOXOAQjE70#t=11m25s
This MU often feels like a struggle, especially with customs. >___> These matches were fairly close, but paralysing jolt/heavy skull bash make the last hit situations feel so hard.

vs Cacogen (Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir72SM0ML_w
First time playing the best player in WA. MU inexperience showed, but I'll take it~

vs Viviff (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90SgXA4Va4
I think I let myself get thrown off by custom fireballs >__> Another MU I'm not terribly comfortable with yet.

If anybody has any ideas on stuff I should try, I appreciate it (especially against Rosalina, ugh)

Top Bottom