• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I have two matches saved that were absolute gold. How do I go from a saved match to posting it on here? In one, I egg lay'd a Ness and his teammate off the left side during an FG match 4 times. The following match had a second jump up from the left side, straight upwards egg lay while coming up so the egg lay animation causes me to not grab the ledge. He falls to a KO then I egg toss to grab the ledge. I really want to post these egg lay antics.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You buy an $80 screen capture device on the internet or bribe someone with the screen capture device to record your replays for you.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
You buy an $80 screen capture device on the internet or bribe someone with the screen capture device to record your replays for you.
There's no option to just send said replay to another device or service via the replay menu in game? I'm only asking because I'm not at home at the moment.

If I could share it to another NNID, I have a friend with a video capture card... I wonder if that would work...

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
The replay is just a collection of data that the game re-enacts when you "play" it. It's not an actual video--that would take up a lot more storage than the Wii hdd is capable of. You can't transfer this data to a computer, for instance, and expect it to know what it means, but you can send it to another Wii if you know someone with a capture card.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think a better system for getting critiques is in order. I think people get overwhelmed with the amount of videos posted, and might be choosing not to make critiques because they don't want to seem selective of who they're giving their attention to (maybe?).

I don't think an alternate thread is strictly necessary. I've been messing with this idea in my head for a while, but I was thinking of setting up a sort of critique squad. Lemme flesh it out here:

The critique squad is comprised of volunteers who:
  1. Are active on the boards.
  2. Have demonstrated themselves to be knowledgeable about Yoshi and Smash in general.
  3. Have demonstrated themselves to be able to write clearly, and to explain things well.
  4. Are nominated by other Yoshis so they may give critiques. (This is to make sure critiques are given by those who others would want critiques from).
  5. Are expected to be timely with their critiques.
Once the critique squad has been assembled, we basically just go down the list of videos asking for critiques, and members of the squad take turns critiquing the videos. This way, there is no perceived selection bias, and people can still get their critiques.
Slush causes good ideas edit: If a member of the squad feels inadequately knowledgeable for a certain critique, they can defer to next in line (or pick someone they may think would be especially good for the job), and simply pick up on the next video.

Example: Critique Squad of Me, Celes, and Slush. Yoshi main A posts a video asking for critique, it falls to me to do so. Then Yoshi mains B and C post asking for help, so Celes gets B and Slush gets C. If another video comes in, it'd loop back around to me.

Ideally, the squad would be large enough to handle the influx of videos. We might need to restrict how many sets people ask for help with at once to prevent the squad from getting swamped.

Would this sound okay to you all? I personally would volunteer to lead it, and I'd nominate Slush, Nikes, Celes, Shado Chimera, and Dren (off the top of my head) to also join the squad.
I don't want to be rude but that project seems like it will take ages to be implemented, or maybe even not implement at all, considering most Yoshi mains aren't very active in smashboards. Not blaming you guys, I really respect your hard work to help us mortals but while your guys try to implement that, this thread becomes pointless for players needing advice since no one is here to critique.

My best bet is: just critique the videos you want, if someone becomes mad/sad/revolted because that person's video wasn't criticized that's their problem. Life is not fair, y'know.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't want to be rude but that project seems like it will take ages to be implemented, or maybe even not implement at all, considering most Yoshi mains aren't very active in smashboards. Not blaming you guys, I really respect your hard work to help us mortals but while your guys try to implement that, this thread becomes pointless for players needing advice since no one is here to critique.

My best bet is: just critique the videos you want, if someone becomes mad/sad/revolted because that person's video wasn't criticized that's their problem. Life is not fair, y'know.
I realize that's a possibility. But currently, this thread is almost just as useless because nobody is critiquing videos anyways, and that sucks. I want to motivate people to get moving on critiques and to avoid having this thread be a graveyard of "here's a couple matches from my last tournament guys!" posts. Just on the last page there's a string of SEVEN posts with videos, none of which even netted a response.

Currently, the only active threads are the Q&A threads, this one (with graveyard posts), and the Sheik/Mewtwo MU thread. I've got a strong hunch that there's a lot of lurking. If I could transform lurking into video critiques, I'd be pretty stoked.

This system would take ZERO time to implement. It's just people taking turns critiquing matches. All I need are volunteers who are actually willing to critique at least one set per week. But nobody wants to volunteer. =/

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He linked last page.
Though guess all it really takes is reddit or some other social media to get noticed considerably.

Edit: On the whole thing with video critiquing. I'll do it if I don't feel lazy, otherwise even all the work I put into threads people don't do anything or stop discussing stuff real quickly.
Let's be real, only reason sheik and Mewtwo threads have discussion cause it's massive theorycrafting by 3 people.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Yo, just for the record, I would like to point out that I am a pretty active member on Smashboards, it's just that one, like @ Lukingordex Lukingordex mentioned, a ton of Yoshi mains are pretty quiet, mostly inactive users (which is saying a lot, considering my other main, :4miibrawl:, is even more dead), two, because of this thread's general inactivity, I spend more of my time on the competitive boards. And three, I'd be more than willing to help out with critiques, but considering my lack of street cred or tournament results to back me up, I'm about as useless as about any other random on the boards. I need all the help I can get, so my "advice" that isn't matchup-specific to :4villager:, :4shulk:, :4ganondorf:, :4myfriends:, or possibly :4ness: and :4mario:, I really can't help out with.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
I don't check Smashboards as often as I'd like to, but anyone here should feel free to tag me in a post if they want their gameplay critiqued.

Actually, if anyone has any they'd like critiqued at the moment (for the next few days or so) I could probably do that.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
@ Regralht Regralht Go ahead dude, go crazy with my earlier post. I'll take what I can get at this point.
Were those irl or online matches? There was a lot of stuff that was slowly reacted to / thrown out way too late to act as a a whiff punish.

• Your recovery is predictable and dangerous. It seems like once you're knocked offstage, you just hold the control stick towards center stage and try to double jump towards the center (you did that quite often) with an aerial or air dodge mixed in. Instead of approaching the opponent from such a limited position (if Yoshi gets knocked away in that position, you're basically dead), you should try going for the ledge or just fast fall onto the top of the ledge. The goal here is to regain your position on the stage safely. I wouldn't suggest tossing eggs on your way down, since if villager hits you with a Fair during that moment, you're gonna have an even harder time getting back onto the stage. You could also try to down B to grab the ledge, just be careful with that since if you hold down on the control stick near the ledge, you'll die. Practice that for a bit in training mode.
  • When you're above the opponent, stop using down B immediately. Save that for guaranteed punishes / as a rare mix up. Villager Uair and Usmash out-prioritizes it, so in my opinion you're only kinda getting away with it since the Villager is auto-piloting / not thinking about how to counter your options. I'm assuming your usage of it stems from wanting to get back onto the stage. As with general recovery, try to get away from being above villager, his Uair beats out any option Yoshi has in the air, trade-wise. Try to drift to the corners of the stage, or onto a safe platform as you fast fall. Air dodge whatever projectile he throws at you, unless you're close to the ground. When close to the ground, you should use Nair instead because it has less lag upon landing, and blocks Villager Fair (it doesn't block Villager side B custom, try to get on the ground and short hop over that before it hits where you land).
  • Dash attack is Yoshi's longest reaching ground option. It also has little reward upon landing a hit with it. Try to save dash attack for when only a dash attack could punish villager from your current location. Dash grab will allow you to pummel + throw for a higher chance of doing more damage, and of course it beats out shields. Both attacks are risky if they whiff, so you might as well go for the option that has a higher reward for the same amount of risk.
  • When you're edge guarding, it seems like you run off of the ledge into an attempt to Fair spike too much. The Villager can see this coming a mile away, and he'll probably try to air dodge it. What you should do to counter that, is use a Nair right next to him while staying on top of him (Nair lasts longer than air dodges, so it'll hit him once he's no longer invincible. Dair could work too). You could also try to delay your Fair spike, and try to hit him during his air dodge end lag. Wait for a split second after jumping after him, and then use your Fair.
  • Bair isn't a good attack in neutral (against Villager, anyways. It's ok for some MUs due to aerial trades). Not only is it unsafe on shield, but it doesn't do much damage. If you're looking for a move to use in order to get closer to Villager, use Nair. If you want a good combo move once you're close, try hitting him with a Uair (it typically combos into a second one, and Uair does more damage than Bair). Save Bair for offstage edge guards in this MU.
  • When Villager is on a platform above you, use a short hop Dair to cover the whole platform + do a devastating amount of damage. Your Usmash attempts usually whiffed, save those for when you know it'll kill + it's a guaranteed hit.
  • When Villager is up B stalling on the ledge, wait for him to get as low as possible as he usually goes before using another up B. The second he hits that point, run at him and go for a Fair dunk at the ledge. He'll have no where to run even if you miss, since he'll probably still be floating around for a chance to return. Just keep protecting that ledge with Fair or Dtilt / Dsmash.
  • I don't suggest using standing egg tosses against Villager. You're better off short hopping while firing em off, since he'll have a harder time dealing with them since you can close in on him at the same time + you're hopping over his projectiles. You can even throw out a Nair or Uair right before you land.
  • Jab is a good move if you wanna throw something out before Villager has time to hit back. However, it seems like that Villager in particular doesn't bother defending against it. Instead, you should try using Utilt up close, since it combos into Uair, which is better than double jab into dash attack damage-wise, and it sets up for a generally free egg toss follow up.
Especially try to remove the down B and recovery habit. You're going to get destroyed by a good player for those two in particular.
Please tell me if my wording doesn't make any sense / something needs clarification / if you have any questions.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
@ Regralht Regralht A few questions about your critique post.

• First off, yes, these matches were irl. Yes, I do have incredibly slow reaction times in attempts to punish whiffed attacks. Really not sure how I improve that.
  • You mentioned trying to go for the ledge when I try to recover. Do you mean trying to snap onto the ledge (where my options are to get up, dodge roll, ledge attack, jump from the ledge, or let go and jump) or to land on top of the ledge, still on the stage? Also for that matter, which ledge should I aim for: the one closest to me, where my opponent is likely waiting to edge-guard me with either a gimp or, in Villager's case, a bowling ball, or the one on the opposite end of the stage?

• Edge-guarding wise, you mentioned trying to go for a nair as it'll outlast an airdodge. This is a more MU-specific question, but Villager has two options to counter edge-guards, with air dodge being the obvious one, and his custom Garden being the special one. Garden is a really annoying move in that it both makes Villager invincible for about the same amount of time as an air dodge and it puts out a long-lasting hitbox that goes through every attack that doesn't have super-armor. Should I just stall a bit in the air then, considering his options, or just not go for an off-stage edge-guard at all?

• Going for uairs sounds really scary, considering most characters' dairs outprioritize it. My major reasons for using bair in neutral is because it travels through both Villager's bair and fair, though now that you mention it, I guess nair does the same exact thing. Again, how do I deal with this?

• Short hop-dairs on a platform above you also sounds quite scary, as it sounds like the only thing that really punishes is a spot-dodge. Any specific way to read this?

• Won't going for a fair dunk while Villager is ledge stalling only result in my getting blown away by the exploding balloons? Or do I have to time it so that I hit the moment he grabs the ledge?

• Also, one final question. Despite the fact that my play is far from perfect (or heck, even that good) is there any kind of playstyle you notice me going for? Yoshi is pretty versatile in that there's a lot of ways you can play him. (e.g., rushdown, defensive, spacie, opportunistic, baiting, etc.) And if you can point down my playstyle, are there any players I should watch that use that playstyle (obviously more effectively than I do, but more so I can pick up ideas)?

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
  • First off, yes, these matches were irl. Yes, I do have incredibly slow reaction times in attempts to punish whiffed attacks. Really not sure how I improve that.
Ah ok. I don't know how to improve that either. Although I guess that improves over time, or when you start to get really good at knowing what to do in different situations (being able to react to a handful of options tends to be much faster than raw reaction to 10 or so).

• You mentioned trying to go for the ledge when I try to recover. Do you mean trying to snap onto the ledge (where my options are to get up, dodge roll, ledge attack, jump from the ledge, or let go and jump) or to land on top of the ledge, still on the stage? Also for that matter, which ledge should I aim for: the one closest to me, where my opponent is likely waiting to edge-guard me with either a gimp or, in Villager's case, a bowling ball, or the one on the opposite end of the stage?
I don't necessarily mean snap to the ledge, just try to land away from your opponent any way possible. Landing on-top of the ledge is generally not as safe as grabbing it, but it puts you in a better position. You'll be able to recognize which option to take depending on the situation.

Aim for the ledge closest to you (or aim for a spot that's far from the opponent, without having to move past him). Try to avoid staying above Villager whenever possible. If Villager is waiting on the ledge for you to return, he's probably trying to fish for a Fair or bowling ball. Just air dodge past those or snap to the ledge once he doesn't have a bowling ball out. You can stall for time with egg toss, or pester him with it if he's trying to get a bowling ball out.

In regard to what I first said in the original post, I mostly meant it about when you'd get knocked offstage by a powerful attack from the center, and the Villager was in the center too, not actively trying to edge guard you.

• Edge-guarding wise, you mentioned trying to go for a nair as it'll outlast an airdodge. This is a more MU-specific question, but Villager has two options to counter edge-guards, with air dodge being the obvious one, and his custom Garden being the special one. Garden is a really annoying move in that it both makes Villager invincible for about the same amount of time as an air dodge and it puts out a long-lasting hitbox that goes through every attack that doesn't have super-armor. Should I just stall a bit in the air then, considering his options, or just not go for an off-stage edge-guard at all?

You could try to egg toss -> and then follow behind it with a Nair / Fair. Don't let him get to the stage for free. The egg toss stops him before he can use that move, or if he uses it before that hits, he'll catch it. That's when you come in with the Fair / Nair to punish his end lag.

No matter what he does, he's getting hit.

• Going for uairs sounds really scary, considering most characters' dairs outprioritize it. My major reasons for using bair in neutral is because it travels through both Villager's bair and fair, though now that you mention it, I guess nair does the same exact thing. Again, how do I deal with this?
Well, I sorta meant use Uair when you're trying to pressure him up-close (I'm not talking about chasing him around in the air, unless you're able to get a guaranteed 2nd Uair). Nair only has a small range benefit over Uair in that situation. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mean 'this', but I assume it's his either Fair, Bair or Dair? Nair should basically cover all of those options from the side.

• Short hop-dairs on a platform above you also sounds quite scary, as it sounds like the only thing that really punishes is a spot-dodge. Any specific way to read this?
He shielded most of your Usmashes / they also whiffed. Dair beats that option handily, and whatever other option he picks too (assuming you didn't try to go for it too late, and get Fsmashed). Usmash is better if you know that it'll get you the kill, but Dair gets you twice the amount of damage. The main reason why I suggested Dair is because you can use your aerial drift to go exactly where the opponent is at. Usmash doesn't cover the whole platform.

There isn't really a specific way to read this other than watching for his habits. Doing both options every now and then keeps him guessing.

• Won't going for a fair dunk while Villager is ledge stalling only result in my getting blown away by the exploding balloons? Or do I have to time it so that I hit the moment he grabs the ledge?
The balloons don't protect directly over his head, they float away from him. Even if you get hit by it, the Villager is probably dead due to it being a trade. Just short hop over the balloons, or I guess you could even air dodge past them into a Nair.

Yeah, you're aiming for the moment when he ledge snaps. The amount of time it takes for him to reach the ledge plus how long he's stuck holding onto it is why I suggested that you charge in the moment he's at the bottom of his ledge drop, where he'll usually up B.

• Also, one final question. Despite the fact that my play is far from perfect (or heck, even that good) is there any kind of playstyle you notice me going for? Yoshi is pretty versatile in that there's a lot of ways you can play him. (e.g., rushdown, defensive, spacie, opportunistic, baiting, etc.) And if you can point down my playstyle, are there any players I should watch that use that playstyle (obviously more effectively than I do, but more so I can pick up ideas)?
I think your style is mostly rushdown, with a bit of patience thrown in. It'd be beneficial if you practiced taking your punishes as far as possible (I don't mean overextension. Know what's guaranteed. Remove whatever isn't, or at least throw something out when the odds are in your favor).

I don't watch very many videos of other Yoshis. But a few you could probably look around for are Raptor, Slush, and Slice and Nikes. Not that their style is relevant, just that you could probably pick up a few good traits from them. There's bound to be a few videos of them fighting a Villager.

fuzyll

Smash Rookie
Probably one of the best combo video ive seen for Yoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzZQIOxCOHk
A large portion of the combos in this video involve Slice Fair-ing someone repeatedly, sometimes off the stage, with jabs, Dtilts, and Uairs thrown in for good measure. Honest questions:

1. Should I be using Fair significantly more often? Or, is this just how some of the more flashy combos tend to start?
2. Is Fair -> Jab -> Dtilt -> Off-stage Fair spike something that can be easily DI'd out of? Or, is it actually an amazing kill option if you have them right near the ledge with you on-stage?
3. Is Fair -> Uair a true combo at certain percents? Is this actually a good way to set up a kill move? I always thought this was really easy to DI, so I've never seriously attempted it.

I'm absolutely terrible at landing Fairs - it's something I'm trying to work on. This combo video has me wondering if I shouldn't be working on it harder and throwing them out way more often...

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
A large portion of the combos in this video involve Slice Fair-ing someone repeatedly, sometimes off the stage, with jabs, Dtilts, and Uairs thrown in for good measure. Honest questions:

1. Should I be using Fair significantly more often? Or, is this just how some of the more flashy combos tend to start?
2. Is Fair -> Jab -> Dtilt -> Off-stage Fair spike something that can be easily DI'd out of? Or, is it actually an amazing kill option if you have them right near the ledge with you on-stage?
3. Is Fair -> Uair a true combo at certain percents? Is this actually a good way to set up a kill move? I always thought this was really easy to DI, so I've never seriously attempted it.

I'm absolutely terrible at landing Fairs - it's something I'm trying to work on. This combo video has me wondering if I shouldn't be working on it harder and throwing them out way more often...
I wouldn't call fair to uair a true combo because you can tech the sweetspotted fair, however if they don't get the tech then I think it's pretty free at mid to high percents.

As far as whether you should use fair more, I'd have to see how often you use it right now. A hit with it can be pretty rewarding but it shouldn't be thrown out in place of nair, or just because you feel like it though because the windup on it is long and the end lag is pretty long, especially when used on landing.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Sorry Yoshi brethren, been pretty busy with school but I've been meaning to give some input for peeps. I also got several vids to share from the last tourney a couple weeks ago and an invitational top 8 tourney that happened almost a month earlier.

ESA Top 8 Invitational (hint I lose both matches T_T):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_9qPlSi73E :4dedede:Soot
This set I should've played a lot better. I have never lost a set to this D3 main, but I did here when I played carelessly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5ER1CekBk :rosalina:DarkMusician
I have not been able to take off a set from DM since Brawl days. He plays a solid Rosalina and I really feel that I cannot get in. I would really appreciate some advice to what I should've done differently in this set.

Smash Series 5 (all GSM crew members :D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJXKOIH-4o :rosalina: Brigade

For my next magic trick, I make my opponent disappear!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxWOQ2J3bsA :4zss: AnD
Fun fact: both Brigade and AnD are twins! SH AD -> nair does its job and I was able to clutch it out at the end. Great set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHpF4XgsF4 :4fox:K0rean
In friendlies and rank battles (amongst our crew) I go positive against him. However in tourney he turns it up and in this set I got punished hard. K0rean's fox is amazing and I just could not keep up here.

--

Hey guys! Finally got myself a video capturing device to upload my matches. I've been meaning to get constructive criticism for my Yoshi for a pretty long time now. A little background: this Villager player in the video is a dude I've been playing against for about half a year now. He's a pretty good player (trained by Master Raven, a pretty high-ranked Florida player) but half the time what gets me more than his actual playing style is his personality. He's a majorly obnoxious jerk who always likes to stress how much better he is at this game than me. Now, though I would say I'd like to be able to start besting him, I really just want to improve all-around to start competing in locals and whatnot, so any and all input is extraordinarily valued. Heck, be as cruel as you can be, just tell me how to get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJTJiaMY_5Y
It seemed like you guys go about even, but you can definitely polish up your playstyle to give you the edge to outright beat him next time.
Overall what I saw from those matches was that you were mainly playing according to his pacing. It is okay to be defensive, but you were letting him set the match pace to his favor. You can be more aggressive and set your own pace, just make sure to mix it up and not always be defensive.
I understand that villager's fsmash needs to be respected, but I think it would've served you well to punish his constant use of it rather than shielding/rolling/running away. A few times you went and outright challenged it which is great!
Another thing that you also were respected a little too much were the slingshots. It is annoying, but you were getting hit by it a lot. One way to circumvent that is dodging, specifically SH AD-> nair. The slingshots have startup and he was using it pretty predictably, dodge your way through it and punish it.
A minor thing was your use of SH Bair, he was getting hit by it a couple times, but most of the times it's an unsafe approaching tool. I also noticed your usage of aerial Yoshi bomb. For whatever reason he wasn't learning whenever he got hit by it, so I think you mostly used the move correctly based on his playstyle. Just be aware that spamming it in most other instances (against other players) will not fly.

I posted this video in the Sheik matchup thread already, but I thought I would put it here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvxCHhTEDI

Also, here is a link to my Smash playlist of videos that I think are internet-worthy. Most of them are Yoshi games. They are, however, a bit older so I'm not so good in them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLskkjjZv6r1yiTx1Qp6HtrQeo-C69mlwi
Sheik matchup is gross as is, but I believe you could've played that set much more safer. I noticed that you have a habit of frequently Up-smashing out of a run, most of which whiffed and got you punished immediately. It does cover a pretty good hitbox, but is relatively unsafe to use haphazardly. Instead could have tried Utilt, with a less risk to be punished.
Another thing you did was a lot of grounded and aerial Yoshi bombs. You used it correctly once, but for the other times it was unnecessary and again got you punished. It is not the type of move to be spammed, so try to only use it when your opponent is over-agressive or when you absolutely are sure it will connect.
Do not just toss eggs mindlessly when you're recovering to the stage. There were a number of times where your opponent hurled a gravity grenade or fair'd you in between egg tosses. It seemed like you were always aiming to recover to the center of the stage, instead try going for the ledge and mixing up when you egg toss.
Needles I think is one of the best projectiles in the game at this moment. You have to respect it and do your best to dodge them because they will rack up damage. Lastly, shield roll is highly punishable due to its slow animation and with a character like sheik, she'll just punish you for it easily. I don't have much advice for the matchup that isn't covered in the sheik MU thread, but I believe if you clean up your game you'll have much more success.

Here's a ranked set I played on Smashladder a few weeks ago against a good Mega Man player:

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Megaman is a matchup I quite despise :S Here are a couple things I noticed:
Egg lay would've helped you immensely in this set. I noticed you used a fake out jump back -> fair to often, which was good because it did land a number of times. However, throughout the set there were numerous times where the megaman stayed in his shield waiting for your attack and punishing you afterwards when you did. Instead of always attacking on his shield, incorporate egg lay (especially B-reversals from above) to punish his shielding.
Use JC egg toss (ETS) so you're not standing in the same spot tossing an egg. Using that in combination with SH ET will keep you more safe and help get you openings. For pellets I think you also would benefit from SH AD -> nair.
Towards the ending of game 3 you were getting really desperate and doing extremely unsafe smashes and yoshi bombs. Keep your calm, especially at a deficit because I believe you should've had the game otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLntLDbVMuU (vs. Little Mac)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN3mSLxXjLs (vs. Rosalina & Luma)

Here's some new ones, a couple of friendlies. Again, sorry for not having a capture card, and bringing y'all potato quality.

All criticism welcome.
Good matches. Against Little Mac: he should not be able to grab you so easily. He is pretty menacing up close and I believe you were a bit flustered to stay shielded instead of retaliating back. His main weakness is offstage, there were a couple of missed opportunites where you could've grabbed him and thrown him off and then edgeguard from there. I also would've liked to see more egg toss, and while he can get close during that, you should be able to swat him off with a nair.
Against Rosalina: I think you did a great job against Rosa, keeping Luma swatted away is the best game plan. Try not to stay in one spot tossing eggs, include JC ET (ETS) so you can be somewhat safe tossing eggs.
:4yoshi: vs. :4palutena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4n7Dx2uXo
I don't have too much experience with Palutena, there's only one main here and I faced him in the last tourney. D-Throw to Uair/Usmash is whack. Custom palu definitely puts in work sheesh. How did you do that egg roll maneuver at 5:58? I really enjoy your playstyle, more aggressive than I how I usually play, great matches!

:4yoshi: vs. :4fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLIFtwJT14
Fox is one of my banes and you landed an impressive Uair at 6:35. It sucks that its hard for yoshi to snap to ledge after a DJ :(.

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Hey, thanks a ton for the critique, I was actually meaning to get a few more videos up soon, now that I have ETS and b-reversals more integrated into my game. The ETS thing, I was having trouble doing when that vid was posted, but since then I switched jump to L and it has been much easier, and I've been using b-reverses to mix up landings more.

Thanks for the advice on Little Mac too, I've been really having trouble with them, I haven't lost to many Little Macs, but they are tough for me. Captain Falcon has been the one really bugging me lately, I'll have to try and get one of those on here at some point, if I can get a replay saved from a tourney.

Again, thanks a ton! I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno

Can someone break down what exactly happened here?

Yoshi's D-Smash is NOT supposed to slide, and I can't believe it's because of LM pushing Yoshi away.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Alright so im gonna post a few videos since Slush has been asking me to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5MGcfrAjK4
All my matches from this tournament are kinda meh. I don't think I played too well but it's better than nothing. The last few links on this post are the good ones anyway. This is losers semis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmjXomEnkY
Losers Finals. I seriously despise this mu. We go back and forth but it literally feels like the mu is 65-35. Does anyone else struggle against Marth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6Yz_R4Opg
Grand Finals. Didn't really put up much of a fight. Sadly the set where I beat Dabuz never got uploaded and it isn't under the stream archives anymore so this will have to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/4766181 vs. ZeRo Kappa Kappa Kappa
Start at 1:05:45. It's not actually ZeRo but everyone believed it for some reason lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/4766181 vs. Thunderst0rm
Start at 1:23:50. Pretty good set. If you wanna see another Yoshi against thunderstorm scroll a little before this match to watch RJ take him on.

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/4766181 vs. Keitaro
Start at 1:32:20. I always lose to fraudulence lmao.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/4904497 vs. Owsla
Start at 16:45. Apparently this guy is really good and people thought he was gonna beat me. Max even said we're at equal skill level during the set xD The outcome says otherwise.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/4904497 vs. MikeKirby
Start at 39:40. Probably the best set in this post. I was on point until i choked hard at the end of game 2 and then game 3 :[

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/4906575 vs. Snakeee
Start at 18:25. Bodied his Rosalina then he switched to custom Palutena. Never faced one let alone with janky customs so he got me.

I have a set win against 6WX on stream but I have no idea where it is. I'm going to ask around and if i can find it I'll definitely post it here.

⑨ball

Smash Ace

Can someone break down what exactly happened here?

Yoshi's D-Smash is NOT supposed to slide, and I can't believe it's because of LM pushing Yoshi away.
I was hoping you were on smashboards. Didn't want to post a long comment on youtube.

It's the Rtacc. Basically you ran to the right, then left, your turnaround animation extended your neutral state letting you crawl out of dash, you crawled backwards and the momentum carried into your dsmash making you slide.

Seems to work best going left to right for carrying momentum, but as you can see it works fine right to left too.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
As I stated before and in the video: this does usually not work with DSmash since it cancels all slide animations which come FROM Yoshi.

We tested it yesterday and found out what it is:
We forgot about the fact, that Little Mac has a windbox on almost every single move.
So the dash attack's windbox pushed Yoshi away (tried it, it's the exact same scenario).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Double post cuz Just realized it was while typing this out.
Alright so im gonna post a few videos since Slush has been asking me to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmjXomEnkY
Losers Finals. I seriously despise this mu. We go back and forth but it literally feels like the mu is 65-35. Does anyone else struggle against Marth?
I didn't ask for vids, mostly results or even just post here in general. But while I didn't ask, vids for the 6wx and against seagull matches I do wanna see eventually. Anyways

I've struggled against Marth too, but honestly both characters feel like they're just going for raw hits/tippers to get early kills. We can get cheesy fair spikes on Marth and Marth gets silly tippers.
I'd say maybe more of a 50:50 or maybe even 55:45 Marth favor only cause rage tippers more deadly than our Rage smashes or spikes, but it certainly cannot be one of our worst MU's.
Why're these few vids like 5 or so seconds behind on commentary/sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6Yz_R4Opg
Grand Finals. Didn't really put up much of a fight. Sadly the set where I beat Dabuz never got uploaded and it isn't under the stream archives anymore so this will have to do.
I have to seriously question why you're taking customs rosalina to her favorite stage halberd. Don't think our rage uair or Usmash is enough to warrant choosing the stage against her.

I have a set win against 6WX on stream but I have no idea where it is. I'm going to ask around and if i can find it I'll definitely post it here.
Alright

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Could have sworn you did in the character discussion thread lol. I took him to Halberd because it's just a stage I like. And there's another set where I lost to 6wx on youtube search that one for now.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
As with any character, you need to know when and when not to go for a followup. You give up stage control when you miss the followup. This is worse for Yoshi due to our fall speed. Other characters have the luxury of going for aerial followups and if they miss they can fall fast enough in order to keep stage control most of the time, but we can't, so be careful with that. Fox is and will always be annoying lol. Watching that made me cringe. The only thing I can really say is do more retreating egg lays reversals since that fox seemed to like running up to you constantly and then pressing a really fast.

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Hi everyone! I have a few videos to share, and this time someone let me use their capture card so it isn't complete trash video quality, my locals should also have a stream set up next time I go so hopefully I can get some of my bracket matches up on here.

Anyways with these ones, the first two matches are from Anther's Ladder and the 3rd is from For Glory:

vs. Peach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFVgRn5468&feature=youtu.be

vs. Captain Falcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj3ZhSILEg

vs. Marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVhPAgKGNZ8

One thing I already took note of and used this weekend was implementing pivot grabs into my game more, any advice, critique, etc. is welcome and appreciated!

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Last edited:

fuzyll

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! I have a few videos to share, and this time someone let me use their capture card so it isn't complete trash video quality, my locals should also have a stream set up next time I go so hopefully I can get some of my bracket matches up on here.

Anyways with these ones, the first two matches are from Anther's Ladder and the 3rd is from For Glory:

vs. Peach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFVgRn5468&feature=youtu.be

vs. Captain Falcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj3ZhSILEg

vs. Marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVhPAgKGNZ8

One thing I already took note of and used this weekend was implementing pivot grabs into my game more, any advice, critique, etc. is welcome and appreciated!
You do some really unsafe down-B's. It's our quickest way to return to the stage, so I commonly see people do it after being juggled a bit and desperately wanting to return to neutral. If you aren't being punished for this, it just means the opponent is bad (like the Marth that just stood there and took it around 2:30) or isn't used to the match-up. Good usage of down-B is stuff like your kill on Peach at around 2:25 (which was great).

I really think you could improve your egg lay follow-ups. In the Fox game, you seemed to always egg toss after landing an egg lay (like at 7:52). If you're worried about the opponent mashing out so quickly, there have got to be far better answers than just tossing an egg and hoping for the best. I think you probably could have landed at least a safe dash attack on the egg (if not an up-smash).

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
You do some really unsafe down-B's. It's our quickest way to return to the stage, so I commonly see people do it after being juggled a bit and desperately wanting to return to neutral. If you aren't being punished for this, it just means the opponent is bad (like the Marth that just stood there and took it around 2:30) or isn't used to the match-up. Good usage of down-B is stuff like your kill on Peach at around 2:25 (which was great).

I really think you could improve your egg lay follow-ups. In the Fox game, you seemed to always egg toss after landing an egg lay (like at 7:52). If you're worried about the opponent mashing out so quickly, there have got to be far better answers than just tossing an egg and hoping for the best. I think you probably could have landed at least a safe dash attack on the egg (if not an up-smash).
Thanks for the comments, I'll work on not doing that, in general I just like to use it to cross someone up who is overextending, but if I recall right, I do it a lot in that Falcon match, which I should have lost. The Marth one, was me just kind of ******* on him at that point, I wouldn't try something silly like that in a more serious match.

I have a few more that I've saved since then, and I think I've improved since those, but I need someone with a capture card to upload them for me, and like I said, in that post, my locals should have a stream soon and hopefully we'll get some matches saved.

If you don't mind my asking, is there anything else from those that you think I could improve on? Since then I've been working on egg sniping off stage, utilizing perfect pivot, SH away > b-reverse and b-reversing down from platforms.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
GF against a Pikachu

I came from losers, I managed to reset the bracket by winning first set 3-1, but them I lost the second set 3-2, the matches were pretty intense.

I think i'm finally starting to play this MU right. I would like advice though

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone like to provide me with feedback regarding this match? This was against Kenny, a Pikachu main ranked 6th overall in MD/VA. Any comments or critiques are welcome.

https://youtu.be/Rb5_OkOsvww
Be careful at 1:58, air dodging while landing is unsafe but fortunately your opponent wasn't able to punish.

Impressive Grab release into jab fsmash, I think that usmash also would've been another option since its a couple frames faster. I noticed that you went for plenty of grab releases which worked a few times. However your opponent was able to catch on and shield through your jabs. Because the combo isn't too reliable when your opponent catches on, instead mix in throws and grab releases.

Your opponent was airborne a lot throughout the match, and sometimes you'd opt for a grab/dash grab which would whiff because he would just jump and then punish with an aerial. Instead of trying to go for the grab all the time, look at your other options. I believe Utilt would've helped you immensely to swat away aerial approaches from the pikachu.

At 6:39, under no circumstance should you be using aerial down B at a high percent while your opponent has a fresh stock. There's huge risk vs little reward and it would've been better to try to get to the other side of the stage.

Lastly you have a habit of rolling. While it did net you some kills when you rolled into a down b, it also got you punished quite as well, especially at the end of the match. Try to find other ways of resetting your position instead of just rolling in a pinch.

Hey guys! 2 more matches to show you. As always critique is welcome and appreciated. Both are against my sparring partner who is using his secondary, Pika instead of Rosi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CygPUKuTGu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXFwwUq79A
I don't have much advice to give as you had solid control for both matches. Good job incorporating perfect pivots in your neutral game, I should probably get on that too lol.

I think I would like to see a little more pivot grabs, because your opponent did chased you around on the ground. Be careful when throwing eggs when you're close-mid range, his quick attack and ground speed can close gaps quickly.

GF against a Pikachu

I came from losers, I managed to reset the bracket by winning first set 3-1, but them I lost the second set 3-2, the matches were pretty intense.

I think i'm finally starting to play this MU right. I would like advice though
Close matches Lukinhasss! One thing I noticed was that you were pulling the trigger a little too early for some of your moves. I think you would benefit from slowing the match down to your pace and waiting a bit more patiently in order to get the punishes on your opponent. Towards the last stock for some of the matches you were playing less safely, throwing out smash attacks and down b's; calm yourself at the last stock and focus to make sure you aren't mindlessly throwing out kill moves. When pika was recovering back to the stage with quick attack, I think in some cases it may be better to use the nair instead of the dair for intercepting. Otherwise, good job!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Close matches Lukinhasss! One thing I noticed was that you were pulling the trigger a little too early for some of your moves. I think you would benefit from slowing the match down to your pace and waiting a bit more patiently in order to get the punishes on your opponent. Towards the last stock for some of the matches you were playing less safely, throwing out smash attacks and down b's; calm yourself at the last stock and focus to make sure you aren't mindlessly throwing out kill moves. When pika was recovering back to the stage with quick attack, I think in some cases it may be better to use the nair instead of the dair for intercepting. Otherwise, good job!
Thanks for the critique

Also I forgot to mention it, but there was a situation in one of the matches were I was with high % with 2 stocks and I had just killed his first stock, then I tried to land an utilt on him but for some reason Usmash came instead of Utilt and hit his shield, which resulted in me getting killed and losing my advantage on the match, It really pissed me off lol. I had already switched my C-stick to tilts before that but I am still not acostumed to it. This situation just showed me that i really need to get used to it now as quickly as possible.

Also in that lame match were I was rekt in FD he was controlling the stage very well and I was trying to return to neutral but with no success. I really don't tend to spam Down Bs lol, I just didn't play that match well.

Also @ Nikes Nikes I heard you're good with breaking shields with Down Bs, I also try to do this but it almost never works with me lol, even if i use jab 1 before the down b. My opponent's shield just don't break (which happened in this set once) or they manage to avoid the move even if I still didn't try to use it once in the match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom