• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tech: Double-Jump Land and OOS options

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
So I was messing around with Yoshi and discovered a new tech (I don't know if anyone know this already but whatever, and not either what to call it). So if you double-jump quickly enough you won't leave the ground, best way of doing this is with tap jump on and x/y+control stick up, or y+x (slide from y to x). What does this do? It seems to have enormous potential. In neutral it can be used as a pivot, for example you can run in one way and use this technique to turn around and then immediately do a d-tilt or anything really, functioning as a pivot. And it's best use seems to be OOS. With this technique you can literally do ANYTHING OOS. First shield then do this double-jump and then you notice that you're in neutral stance so you can do any grounded move. Some of the best OOS options seems to be D-smash OOS, Jab OOS, U-tilt OOS. It's pretty easy to do as well. You can even turn around OOS if you do the double-jump the other way and after that Jab or anything else. I do this shield > x/y > (very quickly) control stick up > whatever you want (C-stick for D-smash and F-smash), hold the stick up for U-tilt, release it for a Jab. With this technique Yoshi might have the best OOS in the entire game! Jab comes out quickly, U.-tilt can start combo, D-smash can kill. And on top of that you still have your normal OOS options: Airials, U-smash, Grab, Wavedash etc.

How to do it:

Stay grounded > Jump > (really quickly) Double-Jump. Use the button combination y>x( slide from y to x) or y>control stick up. Alternatively use a different control scheme, but it's not needed as I showed.

Applications:

As a Pivot:

Run > do the double-jump cancel in the other direction

Out Of Shield Options:

Shield > do the double-jump cancel (alternatively turn around in double-jump cancel) > do any grounded move

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Yep. Old school Melee stuff. It's called a "Double Jump Land," iirc. Yoshi and Peach dip down at the beginning of their double jumps, so you can use it to quickly land. Allows you to do quick grounded moves OoS or to easily land on a platform without having to deal with the waveland endlag

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
Yeah super old school. Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought AMSA used this tech where he would parry>DJL in melee.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Actually, this is part of the "parry technique" in where Yoshi uses his super armor in his second jump to soak up a hit and land a free responsive hit on the opponent. Doesn't work so well in Turbo but does for the vanilla game. Best way to do this actually is to set X and Y on your gamecube controller to jump. You can slide your thumb from left to right with micro-ease to do free parry setups without a large risk of execution errors.

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
You dont mean 'parry' as in the melee parry, correct? I think a better term would be to say, you "armor through the hit"

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
You dont mean 'parry' as in the melee parry, correct? I think a better term would be to say, you "armor through the hit"
Parry means to soak the hit and return it. To retaliate from a blow or strike. So it is actually a parry. You absorb the strike and toss out a hit box of your own while the animation of the opponent's attack is still ending or they are in fall lag or still L canceling if it is aerial

Scatz

Smash Champion
This is not the same parry that you all are referring to in Melee. Yoshi's shield & body becomes invincible during the first 6 frames of an instant digital press. That allows him to jump OoS and not take any shieldstun, which creates the functionality of a parry.

The method you are describing is the same as tanking a hit with double jump armor to reverse the situation. No different than using DJ armor then Nairing when an opponent isn't spacing properly.

Top Bottom