• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Sure hope so, but because he's fundamentally a better player that's what's probably going to make it close I imagine.
Haha, of course you can't underestimate ESAM with him being such a solid player, but you've definitely got him beat in terms of Yoshi experience. Just don't let the nerves get to you! :p

EDIT: Wait, there's a direct happening?

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
This was going to be a bump but Mario & Sonic guy beat me to it

In other news, confirmed Yoshi ditto MM with ESAM when he comes down to our upcoming major BAM 8 in a couple months o:
Yo dawg, I highly recommend learning up on your Yoshi vs. Yoshi jank. He'll probably beat you with his general stuff (as you said before), but you should trump him with familiarity of the character. Play some wifi dittos or something with people who are willing to be as lame as possible and see what suckssssssssssssss to deal with. Then do that a lot. Then learn what beats that thing, and so on.

From my recollection of the Ditto Extravaganza, Yoshi does a lot of dumb things to himself, so there should be plenty to abuse. Something about Fair being a pain. But maybe that was just Wifi.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Their weren't that many things that I was excited about in the Direct, but I don't own a 3DS. The only things that really got me were the Splatoon update and the MK Amiibo. I don't own Mario Maker and I MIGHT get Star Fox Zero sometime in the future, but I have so many games that I want to play and beat right now, plus the Nintendo Selects going to $20 on the 11th. I am probably going to get DK Tropical Freeze when they go on sale, since I have heard great things about it, and beat DK Country Returns. I also want to buy Shovel Knight, since people rave about that too. So as you can see, I have a lot on my 'gaming plate' right now. :3

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
New Kirby game looks awesome, Mario Maker update is awesome, buying that MK amiibo, Medli in Hyrule Warriors is awesome except we know nothing about what she actually does, and the games added to the Virtual Console are sweet.

Aside from that, didnt care about much else, just slight interest here or there.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Same. The new Kirby game does look interesting, and I have loved all of the Kirby games that I have played, but I don't have a 3DS.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This was going to be a bump but Mario & Sonic guy beat me to it

In other news, confirmed Yoshi ditto MM with ESAM when he comes down to our upcoming major BAM 8 in a couple months o:
Please win, I'll be rooting for you

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Are CRTs still the tourney standard? Was just playing at a couple friends' place and there was noticeable input lag on their HDTV. I know Melee and Brawl would lag if used on HDTVs, but I had assumed that there would be no such issues on the Wii U. A quick googling shows several 1-2 year-old threads suggesting that the game does lag on some TVs. What do you guys play on?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Are CRTs still the tourney standard? Was just playing at a couple friends' place and there was noticeable input lag on their HDTV. I know Melee and Brawl would lag if used on HDTVs, but I had assumed that there would be no such issues on the Wii U. A quick googling shows several 1-2 year-old threads suggesting that the game does lag on some TVs. What do you guys play on?
CRTs are only standard towards Melee and PM. Smash 4 uses monitors equivalent to what tradition FG requirements. Any normal HDTV will have lag because of processing times (separate from upscaling processing times).

You can check the best ones here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

You'll generally want ones that are lower than 1/60th of a second.

Good to see you again. :)

Last edited:

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
CRTs are only standard towards Melee and PM. Smash 4 uses monitors equivalent to what tradition FG requirements. Any normal HDTV will have lag because of processing times (separate from upscaling processing times).

You can check the best ones here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

You'll generally want ones that are lower than 1/60th of a second.

Good to see you again. :)
Cool, thanks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've made it up to World 6 in Yoshi's Woolly World, but I have noticed something with one of the background music tracks.

That track sounds like it's better suited for a Ghost House course, if anything. In fact, some tracks just never did get much love; try to imagine playing the course "Rollin' Down the River", while the "Clawdaddy Beach" BGM is playing.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
So I was testing Yoshi and I was getting really excited because I was finding damage changes all over the place!

...and then I realized I was testing against Bowser Jr...

ZSS and Sheik nerfs could be good for us though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
ZSS got nerfed HARD, everyone else just slaps on the wrist or irrelevant changes (Sheik needles range is shorter, yes, but still long enough to do exactly what it did before).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
GUYS MK'S COMBOS WHERE APARENTLY NERFED AND SO WAS SHEIK OMG

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So I was testing Yoshi and I was getting really excited because I was finding damage changes all over the place!

...and then I realized I was testing against Bowser Jr...
JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED!!

Now, did Yoshi get any changes? I feel him the same.
My quick testing didn't show any changes in damage, but somebody else will have to check for frame data changes.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
The Sheik nerf is gonna cause a pretty huge metashift. Rosie and Bayonetta are probably the best characters in the game now. SO characters who have good matchups against both of them will rise and characters who suck against both of them will probably stop existing (later ness). Predicting a significant rise in pocket cloud and Diddys which im sure is gonna be the new john as to why Yoshi has no results.

Some underrepped characters are gonna be making some waves so hopefully Yoshi can be one of them.

Edit: also did the discord disappear?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No the discord didn't disappear, I pruned people after not doing it for a month so guess you were one of em. I can give discord link through PM again.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Most Yoshi's seem to have picked up a pocket Cloud/Corrin etc as of late anyway, and we all know how that usually turns out sadly.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Yeah. I actually play with Corrin from time to time, but he is only my fun character. I actually fought a Yoshi yesterday on Smash Ladder, and it was really cool. I fought a different Yoshi a few days ago, and he played Yoshi a lot differently than how I did. But the one I fought yesterday thought a lot like me and we ended up doing the same moves at the same times in certain situations, and that was cool. I ended up clutching it out in the end, though, so I was happy to prove myself as a good Yoshi.

If you guys ever want to practice the Yoshi MU with me, feel free to ask. I am relatively new to the Yoshi ditto, so I need some practice. Plus it would just be fun to meet some of the very few Yoshi players out there! :)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I tell you guys, once I get back home for good in the summer, I really need to talk my fiancée into playing co-op Yoshi's Woolly World with me sometime.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm actually felling optimistic about Yoshi right now, simply because I feel like I don't have any really super bad MUs to deal against as long as I use my secondaries for the MUs I don't like. (Ness for Cloud/Mario and Mario for Diddy).

I wonder how long i'll stay with this opinion though, bayonetta seems scary

Last edited:

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
Hi there!
I'm a new Yoshi main and am happy to see that there is a community for my number 1 dino! I used to be a Peach main but soon found that me and her just didn't click so I dropped her (I can still use her in an emergency) I was goofing off, playing random characters when I ran into Yoshi. It was a match made in heaven. Everything just WORKED. I understood Yoshi very easily, and l loved his play style! So I now main Yoshi, with Zero Suit Samus and Peach as backup plans. Also, I use the light blue Yoshi in all games with Yoshi.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Nice to meet you, LegendOfZeldaNut LegendOfZeldaNut . I am a Yoshi main too, and I happen to play light blue Yoshi too! If you would like to play against me online sometime, don't be afraid to ask. My NNID is Little_Dragon34. :)

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
Thanks!
Unfortunately, my internet has been crapping out on me a lot lately, so until it's fixed online play is not possible. I am trying to get it working as fast as I can. Also, quick question: is there a smash scene in the Raleigh NC area? I couldn't find one for the life of me. Also if we do play we might need to swap colors as with my vision issues I would lose track of who's Yoshi is who's

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Happy april fools, fools.
With this momentous occasion I can finally announce that I'm dropping Yoshi for my old favorite character and first game I ever played on a console that wasn't owned by Ninty, BAYONETTTA.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Thanks!
Unfortunately, my internet has been crapping out on me a lot lately, so until it's fixed online play is not possible. I am trying to get it working as fast as I can. Also, quick question: is there a smash scene in the Raleigh NC area? I couldn't find one for the life of me. Also if we do play we might need to swap colors as with my vision issues I would lose track of who's Yoshi is who's
I recall seeing talk of a scene there on Reddit the other day, check the regional boards and maybe even Facebook. I know where I'm at we use a Facebook group to share all the tournaments nearby

Pixel_

Smash Ace
With this momentous occasion I can finally announce that I'm dropping Yoshi for my old favorite character and first game I ever played on a console that wasn't owned by Ninty, BAYONETTTA.
That's not a Fire Emblem character >: (

Sharky

Smash Master
Oh hey guys

I'll be at Pound tomorrow to visit old friends, not expecting to play much though. Any Yoshis going that I'd know?

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
That better be an April Fool's joke.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
So, I don't play Yoshi a whole lot these days, but I did today and got 18 consecutive jabs on a Fox.

Just thought y'all should know.

Last edited:

Sharky

Smash Master
Two things:

Thing 1: Raptor for best coach 2016, I actually beat someone on my bracket and I haven't played this game since launch week XD

Thing 2: DELTA WTF RAPTOR SAYS YOU DON'T PLAY ANYMORE. I AM DISAPPOINT.

also I totally claim cyan in your absence.

Top Bottom