• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Good stuff, that's great to hear! The $50 MM must've been pretty hype for everyone to watch.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I plan on taking a set off of airvualt this week or next week. Hes one of the bestt if not best marth in the world. I almost beat him when I fought him even with the sd I had but this time Im ready.

Also look at this

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Good stuff, that's great to hear! The $50 MM must've been pretty hype for everyone to watch.
Wow, someone that actually pays attention!

Thanks, Nikes. It was actually at the very opening of the event, so most people were either doing free play on the other 4 TVs or doing their own thing. It was on stream actually, which was surprising. I'm going to post it as soon as I find the right moment. I also got some pretty bad tournament match.

I plan on taking a set off of airvualt this week or next week. Hes one of the bestt if not best marth in the world. I almost beat him when I fought him even with the sd I had but this time Im ready.

Also look at this
Putting Ally as a best Marth is like putting Mr.R as a top MK for using him, liek, once.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Ally isnt top marth. Its either airvault or mr e. Never seen a marth pull off so many tippers then airvault though. They both get alot of results though.

Edit: ally uses marth alot and gets results with him. MR R uses MK alot too.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805

I'm surprised it took me this long to drop by here, considering I have had all these sprited MegaYoshies adorning my avatar and signature for around a month & a half now, which I ripped from HedgehogMac/HM Hibki's MegaYoshi's files (which is free. Check out my signature if you want to download him), though if anyone has trouble with that, I could make good on my Dropbox link offer...) using Fighter Factory 3 (which is also free), plus importing the orange color from Mike's 2nd version (http://mugen.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshi/Mike's_second_version) of Mugen!Yoshi (free as well) for the avatar. Then again, I've been elsewhere on the boards, making many posts, mostly focusing on Jr & DH (especially him, considering how active his board is in comparison to Jr's) and the Online section. It's only been the last 2 weeks or so since I've started using the ripped sprites & animations from his and Royce's DH's files at various points in my posts, which I am adoring very much, due to the amount of occasions I'm finding for them.

And yes, I'm very much aware of Mugen's practically terribad reputation as a laughing stock of a broken mess that can't be taken seriously, what with Salty Bets, UFGT X's Salty's Silent Auction | Random Mugen Tournament last year, and the hordes of horrifically unbalanced characters & systems and amateur appearances that show up in both of the previous points...

Still, I want to at least give a shoutout to LiquidKen, who I HAVE seen livestream actual Mugen matches with his buddies on Twitch at times I do not know (I just happened to have caught him streaming it while I was randomly checking some of my followed games on Twitch), so at least someone in the Smash community other than me seems to like it. It'd be sweet if he were to add MegaYoshi to his roster someday, so he'd get more exposure to the world, which is hindered by his lack of a Mugen Wikia entry (MY's been out there on the internets for at least a year & a half now, and yet he still doesn't have an entry there...), and actually be played by surprisingly good 2D fighter players that will get to rep a deep, technical, quick (overall both in mobility and attack speed), and even high-damaging character with numerous viable options that can support multiple solid gameplans and playstyles wonderfully, which greatly helps him in adapting to various MU types.

Anyways, I must admit, I myself don't really rep Sm4sh Yoshi very often, especially online in FG Anywhere & Tourney Mode-- *Braces for impact!*

.... Due to reasons that the "Lagless" thread here is seeking to challenge (and thus hopefully curb the threat of my opponents dumping piles of salt on me and being sent to "Ban Land" by said opponents, like what so many people in the 3DS/Wii U Online section of our boards seem to be getting sent to as of late), as well as simply prioritizing all sorts of other characters above him (Jr & DH & Ryu in particular, as well as a whole slew of low/bottom tiers and uncommon/rare characters). Yet I become more eager to play as him (and virtually anyone else for that matter) in Tourney Mode and elsewhere when Customs are On, for 3323 and 2323 become my jam, as well as 3233, 2233, 1323, and 1233, depending on the stage & MU. I want to actually want to use Side B, hence my preference for Side 2 (Armorolls~) & 3 (I pair it with Up 2 in case I careen myself off the stage). Down 3's for powering up my :yoshi:. Up 3's for more powerful eggs. Neutral 2 may not be a grab, but its advancing ranged melee KO power near the edges (including in the air) impresses me. Neutral 3 at Smashville, Castle Siege, and Delfino when I'm at the walk-off/platform edges and his tail is facing the Blast Zone is :troll: fuhhhn. *Then recalls seeing a Yoshi with the :troll: face in a post during one of his visits to the Miiverse stage. XD* That face would work surprisingly well for him with Customs On. X3

Plus, Custom Everyone Else is around to stand up to Custom Yoshi, so I can hopefully expect less salt from folks, due to them getting to rep seemingly all the "fun" characters they want with the limiters off (by that, I mean the whole slew of low/bottom tiers and uncommon/rare characters that normally don't show up at big-name tournaments that I myself actually like repping, like x32x WFT, x313 Zard, 3123/3323 Marthcina, and of course 1xxx/3xxx DH & Jr, plus so many others), like xx3x Mii Swordfighter, 3312 Mii Gunner, 323x Kirby, 1312/1212 Doc, and 2322 Customtena, plus so many more, thinking (myself included) that Customs are the Great Equalizer that is also death </Dlanor A. Knox from Umineko no Naku Koro ni> can allow them a fighting chance with whoever they really want to use (even now, I still really want to believe this).

So yeah, I have a pocket Custom Yoshi somewhere in the back of my personal roster, much like how I have a pocket Yoshi in SNES/GC NPC's YC as my 3rd go-to pick. :p

The above came from the 1st version of MegaYoshi, which also happens to be provided in my sig, provided you look carefully enough at the 4Shared link within it (look for "1stver" while you're there).

If there IS a version of Yoshi that I DO play frequently to the point of being a forefront main, as I may have alluded to with my avy & sig, as well as my post here thus far, I can at least proudly admit to repping MegaYoshi in Mugen, who is honestly one of my most favorite incarnations of both :4yoshi: & :4megaman: out there, even though he's completely unofficial, little-known, and stuck in a format that gets little love. He's a fusion of Mike's 2nd Mugen version of :4yoshi:, MM7/MVC1 & 2 :4megaman:, and various other traits that neither of them normally have by themselves (ex. straight-forward air dash that knocks down on hit & yet be repeatable in the same jump & held indefinitely, 3S Parries that cost meter yet are still do-able with no meter (Better than Akatsuki in Under Night In-Birth, but worse than a 3S char in that regard), KOF styled rolls & spotdodges, MM2/Power Fighters Mecha Dragon Transformation, a W-Tank (Hold both HP & HK) to quickly build meter, etc.).

He's also capable of this bread 'n butter 1+ meter punish combo that he's got the mobility & methods to sneak in:

MK x2 (links into itself with good timing/mashing) or airdash/Jumping (Down+)MK or HK --> Standing LP --> LK --> MP/MK xx QCB+LP xx QCB+ Any 2 or 3 Kick buttons or QCB, F + LP & LK. If you use the QCB + Any 2 or 3 Kicks super, you're free to do whatever followups you want afterwards, since your opponent will still be suspended in the air for a little bit after the super's over.

He's also got legit air-to-air combos, due to converting stray aerial normals into airdash, after which he gets to do whatever he wants. That is also what makes his meterless combos more punishing (without meter, instead of going into QCB + LP after standing MP/MK, he can go for the Crouching/Standing HK Launcher into LP LK MP MK or LK x2 MP MK xx Airdash (hit or not) --> Anything he wants).

As you may tell, I REALLY like playing as MegaYoshi, to the point that I could write up a gigantic post on what he's capable of (I think I might've already done just that here.... X>). It's just too bad that he's probably worthless in terms of advancing Sm4sh Yoshi's meta with, despite his fantastic aerial freedom that Sm4sh Yoshi has in common with him, but at least he has all these cool sprites for me (and possibly others) to use at various points, such what I've used in this post.
Of those sprites, one of my absolute favorites is this accurate-to-MM7 Swag Walk:

'Tis be the 8th outfit (Start+MK/X/Button 2) for MY based on :4sonic:, btw.

It is as practical as Sm4sh Marthcina's walks, due to the sheer speed he has with it (out of all the Mega Men and even Yoshies in Mugen, in terms of walking speed, MegaYoshi is one of the absolute fastest walkers around. It keeps up with air-thrown Leaf Shields + air-thrown (Charged) Mega Buster shots, which can be fired seemingly IMMEDIATELY in the air after throwing your Leaf Shield in the air, plus they have NO landing lag, whatsoever!) as well), its allowance for Parries, and recently, after some testing in the Combo Labs inspired by OneSmash's 20XX series on Option Selects, I've found out that he has an aggressive OS featuring that, his Parry, Egg Roll, and even Tongue Grab (Hold Forward while you're walking (as pictured above by MegaSonicYoshi, which is NOT running), then press Forward + LK & MK (Delay the button presses for a little bit for the Tongue Grab)).

I at least want to come here as a big fan of the dino of many colors, and while I may not play as him in Sm4sh very often, I certainly do rep him often in many other games he's in, like the Kart series, the Party series, Mugen, plus many others.

Oh, and as both my post & my avy may show, Orange is one of my most favorite colors for him. It may not be selectable in Sm4sh, but it's most certainly my go-to color in Kart 8, whenever I do pick him.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Sounds cool. Megaman x yoshi sounds OP af.

Anyways that perfect perry gives me an idea for eggroll against sonic. Eggroll normally can cancel out sspindash . So you could buffer jump if you get close to the spindash then nuetralb so if you miss it will jump and cancel but if it cancels nuetral b will come out.
100% that isnt usefull tho

But I wanna start using perfect perry nuetral b stay in sheild jump cancel nair. InpInputs are hard af but its just gojna be lerned.

Also that tourney is canceled sadly. And sb is making my phone type at 1 letter per 10 seconds which explains my inactivity.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
No reason to nerf him, he hasn't won any large scale tournaments since the last patch and people are rating him lower, if anything he deserves another buff. But we'll be fine without it too as long as they hopefully balance out the top tiers a bit more.
We don't need buffs and nerfs in our favor to win, that's not what I'm saying here, just that it would make life so much easier.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Surprised nobody even takes in consideration of how much yoshis double jump is as a aggresive/trade option. Like the fast fall double jump trade ive been talking aboutfor so long. If I get in the tourney and I dont choke (I have a habit of playing bad at times) id like to show it off. Its been a secret weapon for awhile now since nobody thinks its good.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
No reason to nerf him, he hasn't won any large scale tournaments since the last patch and people are rating him lower, if anything he deserves another buff. But we'll be fine without it too as long as they hopefully balance out the top tiers a bit more.
We don't need buffs and nerfs in our favor to win, that's not what I'm saying here, just that it would make life so much easier.
all I want from this planet tomorrow is a genuine, reliable combo throw to come out of Yoshi's uthrow.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Surprised nobody even takes in consideration of how much yoshis double jump is as a aggresive/trade option. Like the fast fall double jump trade ive been talking aboutfor so long. If I get in the tourney and I dont choke (I have a habit of playing bad at times) id like to show it off. Its been a secret weapon for awhile now since nobody thinks its good.
What do you mean by the fast fall double jump? Wouldn't the armor wear off of it when you start the fast fall or am I misunderstanding you entirely?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
After what I've found out in the Combo Labs today in Mugen, I think MegaYoshi might actually be OP...

Just when I thought he couldn't be any more awesome of a character to rep than he already is, today, I found out that you can double tap UP while on the ground to quickly activate Flutter Jump ASAP, which allows him to do WHATEVER aerial attacks you want (many of which are FAST overheads that MUST be blocked high, though J. HK doesn't count as an overhead for some reason...), including air-thrown projectiles (including Leaf Shield, though the timing seems inconsistently tough to do, even with drumming all 3 Punch buttons) and even supers (Air Protoshield Barrage (QCF + 2 Punches) is actually quite safe to do in the air, because you can IMMEDIATELY do whatever you want afterwards while in the air). His ground-level mixups and blockstrings when this is included with his numerous other options are countlessly powerful to wield and terrifying to confront. I cannot help but think that this tech seems familiar... Melee Yoshi's 2nd Jump aerial shenanigans, perhaps?? *Hasn't played Melee in ages*

With the above in mind, the earlier stated air-to-ground 1+ meter punish combo can now be this:

Airdash/Jumping (Down+)MK or HK OR Double Tap Up --> Jump MP/MK --> Jump HK --> MK x2 (links into itself with good timing/mashing) OR Standing LP --> LK --> MP/MK xx *Insert Any Special Here, though to continue onwards into a super, use QCB+LP* xx QCB+ Any 2 or 3 Kick buttons or QCB, F + LP & LK. If you use the QCB + Any 2 or 3 Kicks super, you're free to do whatever followups you want afterwards, since your opponent will still be suspended in the air for a little bit after the super's over.

The above method of aerial attacking MIGHT even lead to a Skullgirls!Fukua / UMVC3!Zero-styled corner infinite by doing Double Tap Up --> MP --> HK --> REPEAT from Double Tap Up (timings seem quick 'n strict from what I've tried so far, much like UMVC3!Zero's Lightning Loops, so if you ask me, if you can actually pull this off in a real match, I'd say you've earned the win).

I'm thoroughly impressed with how much better Marvel 1 & 2 :4megaman: becomes when you put him in the body of a Yoshi and give him a bunch of traits that neither of them normally have when separated.

As for a possible buff to Sm4sh Yoshi, I'm pretty sure a faster grab or a throw that we can follow up from reliably or even be a reliable KO throw would be very nice to have. It's embarassingly sad to be able to claim that the Mugen Yoshies have better grabs and payoffs from them than Sm4sh Yoshi does (especially MegaYoshi, who can aggressively Option Select into his, due to 3rd Strike Parries, which scores decent damage & a hard knockdown (and possibly put his opponent into the corner, if MY himself was there when he landed the grab), enabling him to setup his strong okizeme (The question of "What can I make my opponent wake up to when he/she finally gets back up?" btw)), if you ask me. >.<

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Honestly Zero said the same thing I've been saying for a long time. People ask me what Yoshi's bad matchups are and I say the same thing every time. Sheik it's like 60-40 in her favor, Diddy it's about 55-45 in his favor, Mario/Pikachu/Fox I consider a 50-50 player skill based, every other matchup I feel like is losing for the opponent.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Falcon I consider one of the easiest matchups. At low %'s, he's going to be looking to grab, down throw, up air you. He has a pretty linear approach of either grab, shoulder charge, or possible nair/falling up air. I run towards and short hop bait to see what option he takes when I approach. If he throws out attacks, he's an offensive Falcon who I can then proceed to egg away. If he's shielding, you're going to want to be more cautious and throw out wave bounce neutral B's or falling neutral B's to catch him out of shield until he feels it isn't safe any more. As soon as you get him off stage at any %, if he recovers low you can just fast fall the down air onto him and pull away before the last hit which will send him too low to recover. If he goes high, you can either aim for the Fair bad hit box to send him back off stage or nair for the same effect, up air if he's at higher % for the easy kill.

-edit- I kind of treat falcon like Fox in some ways too. His only kill throw is back throw at 140~+ range, forward throw at about 170-180 I believe, and up throw is near the same. If he's ever dashing towards you for the grab, I'll usually stick to shielding and if he's doing it often, accept the grab. If you're good at timing and you know he's going for it, you can Down b from the ground to pop him up. If you get the good hit, you'll kill him or just put on dmg depending on his %. If you get the bad hit, he'll get the grab on you and you'll pop him up, so it'll grab release you. Then you have enough time to Up smash if you react fast. If you don't react fast enough you'll need to chase him.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
The only change according to the datamine from Thinkaman is that get up attack from the ledge deals 1 more shield dmg, 0 -> 1.

Custom 2 Up B was apparently changed, but it's customs and yeah... way late. Most of this entire patch was customs changes it seems.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Made a quick vid for Yoshi regarding Lucario's shield lock:
It's harder for Yoshi because his shield can't be poked since it doesn't shrink so it's still deep water for him.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yeah. No more full hop retreating nairs. We can shot hop safely now. Jab crouching could possibly be a shield lock or unsheild grabable trick. Jabs harder to punish. Now that we can break shields way more that sets up early kills like 40-60% kill combos much more easily. Now I wonder how safe egg roll is now

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
So this video is unlisted on my channel. I wanted to make it easier for people to learn how to do some of yoshi's tech just by showing the motions on the controller, how ever, the method im using lacks the accuracy for proper display, as u can see some of the inputs arnt timed correctly in this video to pull off the moon
bounce egglay but it gives a general idea, anyone have any knowledge on splitting a usb into two different outputs so i can have my inputs go into the pc and the console so i can make more accurate turorials, im planning on adding another usb out put to my ngcc wii u adapter to accomplish this just by doing simple surgery, i didnt know if anyone has tried this yet so i decided to ask here. once i get this done this tutorial vid will be changed alot, i didnt know if seeing the general motion would be good enough, ideas?

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Sure is, I'll add you into it when I get home if nobody else does.
add me , my skype is noft117

Made a quick vid for Yoshi regarding Lucario's shield lock:
It's harder for Yoshi because his shield can't be poked since it doesn't shrink so it's still deep water for him.
how fast were you mashing that joy stick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
how fast were you mashing that joy stick?
Can't remember but probably pretty fast, I remember my wrist was sore from multiple attempts beforehand so the shield may not get as bad in an actual match as it looks in the video, I probably would've been better off making it when my wrist was in better condition so I could mash faster and not make the situation look as bad as it does.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
I've been interested in playing yoshi for a while now and now that the patch came out i think now is the best time for me to start playing yoshi.

also can i be added to that skype group as well? (Skype: flipyflopymaster)

D

Deleted member 189823

So, liek, I jumped like 10 levels ever since our little tournament last week. I gave The Best over here a bit of a hard time. He says that I'm terrible and that I just happen to "throw attacks into thin air". That's...actually sort of accurate- THE LATTER, I mean. I just told him that I just have to play to my advantages, and going fearless mode is where I've shined.

(:

Crit_

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheCritMagnet
3DS FC
0044-3302-2596
Hello! I finally got around to making a SmashBoards account, now that I decided to put 15 minutes into a proper icon. c: And if there's a Skype group for Yoshi players, is it possible to be added to it? For help, advice, friendlies, friends, all of that good stuff.

D

Deleted member 189823

You're adorable. Maybe even more adorable than Nikes...just, MAYBE.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Welcome to the boards! Post your Skype or PM me it and I'll add you in. :)

You're adorable. Maybe even more adorable than Nikes...just, MAYBE.
YOU'VE NEVER TOLD ME WHAT THIS IS ABOUT, I DON'T UNDERSTAAAAANDD

Crit_

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheCritMagnet
3DS FC
0044-3302-2596
I would like to say that's due to the alluring gaze of my icon.

Oh and ye, my Skype user is TheCritMagnet. Forgot to throw that in there, my bad. c:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, liek, I jumped like 10 levels ever since our little tournament last week. I gave The Best over here a bit of a hard time. He says that I'm terrible and that I just happen to "throw attacks into thin air". That's...actually sort of accurate- THE LATTER, I mean. I just told him that I just have to play to my advantages, and going fearless mode is where I've shined.

(:
I love it when people get salty that you're starting to do well. Dude's probably just scared you're gonna expose him soon. =P

Hello! I finally got around to making a SmashBoards account, now that I decided to put 15 minutes into a proper icon. c: And if there's a Skype group for Yoshi players, is it possible to be added to it? For help, advice, friendlies, friends, all of that good stuff.
This feeling... Is it... love at first sight?

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Well Noft your video is essentially the input for a C-bounce on the neutral B. I have a video of it being performed on sheik multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTBaYaoPI4

Of course this has its applications for off-stage gimps but when you're at higher %'s it is not wise to do as it puts you hugging the stage, too high of a % and even Sheik's fair can knock you out of armor and the move will be untechable. It's good for tech chase scenarios on stage though as well.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Yeah, it's been dubbed many things. The way he was demonstrating it using the C-stick though is called a C-Bounce. Wavebouncing is using just the control stick with the special button as the input.

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Got a question for somthing I just saw for the 1st time here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMPq2ELlGk
I can currently b-reverse yoshi moving face forward and he'll turn around and move the other way while grabbing that way
I can also b-reverse yoshi moving tail foward and he'll turn around and move the other way while grabbing where his tail used to be facing.

Can anyone tell me how he is moving face foward then reversing momentum but also grabbing in the original direction? And also the moving tail forwards then reversing momentum but grabbing the same way. I can tell there's something besides just normal b-reverse but I can't figure it out.

D

Deleted member 189823

YOU'VE NEVER TOLD ME WHAT THIS IS ABOUT, I DON'T UNDERSTAAAAANDD
You'll find out, one day!

I love it when people get salty that you're starting to do well. Dude's probably just scared you're gonna expose him soon. =P
;u;

Especially after this awful thang right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOYxpDA-8W8

I reeeeaaaaallly have to stop letting him pick BF as a starter. It's like a curse, I keep getting 2-0'd there.

Well Noft your video is essentially the input for a C-bounce on the neutral B. I have a video of it being performed on sheik multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTBaYaoPI4

Of course this has its applications for off-stage gimps but when you're at higher %'s it is not wise to do as it puts you hugging the stage, too high of a % and even Sheik's fair can knock you out of armor and the move will be untechable. It's good for tech chase scenarios on stage though as well.
That' amazing how do you do that.

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's it. Is there some special name it has that makes it hard for me to search for?

Ok, nevermind. A few hours of research and I mananged to find it from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Hey guys! so I want to submit a clip to Smash Shorts, and I plan on using this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjPteLLhUk
But I can't decide on which clip to use. I'm stuck between 0:03-0:18 and 0:45-1:00. (the first and second stocks, respectively. Thoughts? (btw this isn't for glory. This is a friendly against my roommate. We're about even in skill, but for some reason I was on POINT this particular match)

Top Bottom