• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
SLHG means Smooth Landing Heavy Gravity if that's what you're confused about.

It looks like a really fun special vs mode to play, but I can't since I don't have Smash Wii U :(

Y

YoshiStar5000

SLHG means Smooth Landing Heavy Gravity if that's what you're confused about.

It looks like a really fun special vs mode to play, but I can't since I don't have Smash Wii U :(
Sad m8 :(

But yeah It is very fun. Sheik can spam Fair like crazy tho

Y

YoshiStar5000

Am I wrong to think Yoshi is a hard character to play against bad players with? Or is it just because I'm out of practice?
Lol nope. I face bad Yoshis on FG. I don't lose to them, but it's very close sometimes cuz they throw out things that just work.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Am I wrong to think Yoshi is a hard character to play against bad players with? Or is it just because I'm out of practice?
Not always. Just pick up some one good even If you don't use them. Then shield or spotdodge when they approach. Good Yoshis on the other hand picking a top tier doesn't always work. Your better off using your own character. Took me months to git gud at the MU :(

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I think what you're experiencing is bad players exploiting their favorable character MUs. I feel Yoshi had an arsenal of scrub smashing techniques which can turn unfavorable character MU into one that Yoshi dominates against bads.

You should be abusing pummel-release combos, jab 1 combos, U-throw chain grabs, short-hop D-airs, dash into F-air spikes and B-air stage spikes to the fullest. These together, if they work, give Yoshi the best grab, the best jab, and one of the best offstage games in the entire cast, but everything listed can be played around (more often than not) one way or another.

I only struggle against bad players in lag, but apparently Yoshi is the god of lag, so I guess I'm just getting out played, outskilled, by people who only know how to roll.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
No yoshi is only a god of lag if you play really patiently. No yoshi that I know that goes aggresive or trys to get in thinks lag benefits him. If your gonna be spamming jab, dash attack and egg launch then you should do well.

Like his approaches are really reactable in lag and I suffer from sooo many shield grabs because you cant space or do anything safe.

Roostertone

Smash Rookie
At PAX a Yoshi player by the name of Firefly managed to place 5th, having taken sets off Logic and GIMR on the way. He was doing some really neat stuff with throw and egg lay setups, and his offstage game was great. I was actually inspired to try Yoshi out a bit over these past few days, and damn he's fun.

Sadly it doesn't look like VGBC has posted any of his matches as highlights yet, but for those of you who watched it live, what were your thoughts on his matches?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
At PAX a Yoshi player by the name of Firefly managed to place 5th, having taken sets off Logic and GIMR on the way. He was doing some really neat stuff with throw and egg lay setups, and his offstage game was great. I was actually inspired to try Yoshi out a bit over these past few days, and damn he's fun.

Sadly it doesn't look like VGBC has posted any of his matches as highlights yet, but for those of you who watched it live, what were your thoughts on his matches?
I liked him. The fair spike on the ledge was awesome against the player that got him into top 8 (can't remember the character or player he was facing then :/). I also liked his jab tech; he made great use of the jab > d-tilt, jab > d-smash and jab > u-smash followups.

Can't remember my criticisms, but I know that I had one or two. Overall a good Yoshi and I'm glad that he placed well.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Funny thing is I 2 stocked logic pretty hard online. Nothing special tho lol :/. I havnt seen firefly yet.

Also I found out yoshi has grab release combos on some characters but very specific places. Its pretty cool. Ill go into detail on the weekend.

T

Trick or Treat

I like to think of Yoshi as my pinch hitter. If I am playing the same character(s) for a while I like to swap in Yoshi as a surprise and I tend to do well.

Still nothing great with him though. I am really aggressive.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I like to think of Yoshi as my pinch hitter. If I am playing the same character(s) for a while I like to swap in Yoshi as a surprise and I tend to do well.

Not everyone can play aggresive. IMO I think aggresive with switches occasionally with pateint playstyles is the best way to play Yoshi.

For some weird reason though alot of people think Yoshi is bad going aggresive or rushdown just because of his grab problems. Either way though you can still win going aggresive or patient which is why I love Yoshi.

shapular

Smash Ace

Nice avatar bro. Charlotte too good.

I usually default to aggressive but I switch my playstyle mid-match frequently. I don't think Yoshi can survive going all aggro or all campy all the time.

T

Trick or Treat

Not everyone can play aggresive. IMO I think aggresive with switches occasionally with pateint playstyles is the best way to play Yoshi.

For some weird reason though alot of people think Yoshi is bad going aggresive or rushdown just because of his grab problems. Either way though you can still win going aggresive or patient which is why I love Yoshi.
I play aggressive with all my characters, Villager included.

Yoshi is definitely capable of that rushing playstyle, I'm just not good enough with him to capitalize on it, yet.

Nice avatar bro. Charlotte too good.

I usually default to aggressive but I switch my playstyle mid-match frequently. I don't think Yoshi can survive going all aggro or all campy all the time.
Hey, thanks! (:
I'm really loving the anime so far, and Tomori is bae.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
The only MU I don't go mostly aggresive is marth (I still try to get in safely though), rosalina and olimar.

I know @Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ plays a good patient yoshi though. He showed us a god tactic for camping on duck hunt lmao. I actually use the tactic to try and bait out people especailly when I have the lowest percent.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Firefly took out Cacogen from Winners side in a major upset as well. Fun fact, he doesn't even own a Wii U and he's one of West Coast Canada's best players. I've known him for a long time, he started off in Brawl as a Yoshi main there before making the switch to Meta Knight (he would use Yoshi once in a while if he was feeling it).

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Firefly took out Cacogen from Winners side in a major upset as well. Fun fact, he doesn't even own a Wii U and he's one of West Coast Canada's best players. I've known him for a long time, he started off in Brawl as a Yoshi main there before making the switch to Meta Knight (he would use Yoshi once in a while if he was feeling it).
Haha, I thought it was the same Firefly. I always thought he was free, but I guess everyone else is just more free.

We'll never forgive him for his treachery though.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
...calling us a herd gives me mixed emotions.

next thing you know we'll be calling ourselves broshis.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
How good is Cacogen? I lost to him in the Hypest Worldwide online tournament at the beginning of the year and hadn't heard of him before but I've seen his name pop up a few times so I take it he's pretty good and well known.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I swear I have a guy named cacogen on my wiiu that uses yoshi. I think...

T

Trick or Treat

Can I be a broshi?

Or, maybe I'd be a yoshister?

That sounded better in my mind. Forget I said anything. ._.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshster and yoshter would be pronounced the same right?

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
bad news guys. my girlfriend eggzoned me. :/

i could really use a brotongue right about now.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Maybe egg lay. I know alot his grabs have invincibility. Ill have to test that out If I find my 3ds.

Also there was a ledge glitch?

Y

YoshiStar5000

Maybe egg lay. I know alot his grabs have invincibility. Ill have to test that out If I find my 3ds.

Also there was a ledge glitch?
Yeah. Sometimes when you used Yoshi bomb on the ledge, When Yoshi got up he would have this green aura thing around him. It happened to me when I was playing FFAs with frands (IM NOT A CASUAL SKRUB DONT KILL ME PLS)

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
what's that thing about fsmash being irreversible? also didnt know they decreased its range :^(

m'dino.
Ikr they nerfed and buffed without telling me stuff :(
Yeah. Sometimes when you used Yoshi bomb on the ledge, When Yoshi got up he would have this green aura thing around him. It happened to me when I was playing FFAs with frands (IM NOT A CASUAL SKRUB DONT KILL ME PLS)
I have never heard of that. Thats pretty cool tbh.

Top Bottom