• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Shield makes grab almost required. Getting very little off of grabs that are already bad is very crippling.
Something I noticed... Top level players barly use grabs against shields(unless there reads). I don't really ever see anyone stay in shield enough to actually react to. But grab just seems like one of the safest options on a not so sure open opponent because perfect shielding allows you to punish like anything. Maybe if we had like 20 or 10 less frames lag on our grab then the throws would be much more worth it. Its really not worth the trade if you miss or they avoid it.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Decided to get some actual frame data on Egg Roll. Here's what I compiled:

Gain control: 23
Landing on flat surface: 33 (hitbox comes out when you land)
Turn animation: 19 (hitbox comes out)
Jump startup lag: 7
Jump airtime from a flat surface: 38
End animation: 39
Forced end: 200

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Decided to get some actual frame data on Egg Roll. Here's what I compiled:

Gain control: 23
Landing on flat surface: 33 (hitbox comes out when you land)
Turn animation: 19 (hitbox comes out)
Jump startup lag: 7
Jump airtime from a flat surface: 38
End animation: 39
Forced end: 200
Platforms Is really what only makes it usefull. Frame 1 egg roll trick and such.

Edit: but then again its bad lol

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Not sure what you mean by frame 1 tricks. The first frame you can land and move is frame 23.
If you know the spacing you can activate It really fast under a platform.

How do you test frame data though? Im very convinced Yoshis up air frame data is wrong lol.

Edit: I really didn't mean frame one. I just explained it wrong.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Up air seems much much slower then nair by atleast 5 frames. Try setting c stick to tilts and do a short hop up air into up air and it doesnt work just by 1 or 2 frames. Now try short hop up air into nair. Nair comes out much further above the ground and has the hitbox. SHFF up air is a thing.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Its frame 7 or 8 it seems like. The animation doesnt match the hitbox and the animation comes out first.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
He just said he thinks that up air has more startup. Anyway tested and it is correct it's frame 5.

edit: it seems the animation comes out before the hitbox for a lot of things tbh.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi Upair hits in 5-6. I can 100% guarantee you that.
Animationwise it would hit on frame 4. If you buffer a perfect short hop double upair the second upair has no hitbox :(

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Alright that makes sence. I think people need to change it. Its normally 4-5 or frame 4 lol

Edit: waait how would the short hop double up air not work if it was frame 5... Hmm. I really feel like im missing something. Nair comes out much more faster after the up air after the short hop up air

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Hi are there any good Yoshi's here I can play with? I REALLY struggle against the character and need help with him
Plenty here. I would play you but lately I havnt been playing good at all. Probably because of school

Try anthers ladder also. Theres a good chance you might run into a yoshi player.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Plugging in GSM's upcoming crew combo trailer. We're nearing completion in probably a week or so!

@ atomicblast360 atomicblast360 we'll be glad to help ya, and you can also try anthers ladder like YoHeKing said.

shapular

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is the right place to post this and I don't know if people have already been doing stuff like this but you can combo the first two hits of bair (such that they hit the ground) into turnaround jab or down B. I tested it in training mode with 1/4 speed (hold L). So far I've tested jab at low percent and down B at high percent. The bair is harder to do in slow motion than in real time. :/ I've also been trying to get full bair (or maybe it was just first hit, I don't remember) into utilt in matches forever but haven't gotten it to work but I swear it will somehow.

Edit: Got bair (two hits) to up smash to work at high percent. It KO'ed. This is all on Captain Falcon btw.

Last edited:

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
yeah, bair shenanigans like that used to be a lot easier before the last patch. before, it was possible for the opponent to drop out of bair and fall to the ground, and you could get a followup out of it if you were quick. but in the recent patch, all of bair's hits link reliably, so the only way to recreate this is if you land on the ground before the third hit connects, which isn't very safe to go for.

in a way, them patching bair could be considered a nerf. i miss getting dumb bair spikes offstage...

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
On the upside, you can carry them with Bair better to set up things.

Bair is pretty strong, so if you catch them with Bair offstage and then just keep moving to the blast zone they'll probably die.

D

Deleted member

Hello.

I'm a Luigi / Pikachu main and I honestly struggle against Yoshi.
I was wondering if there would be a Yoshi main that would like to fight me sometime so that I can get a better understanding on how to fight Yoshi.

Thank you.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I don't know if this is the right place to post this and I don't know if people have already been doing stuff like this but you can combo the first two hits of bair (such that they hit the ground) into turnaround jab or down B. I tested it in training mode with 1/4 speed (hold L). So far I've tested jab at low percent and down B at high percent. The bair is harder to do in slow motion than in real time. :/ I've also been trying to get full bair (or maybe it was just first hit, I don't remember) into utilt in matches forever but haven't gotten it to work but I swear it will somehow.

Edit: Got bair (two hits) to up smash to work at high percent. It KO'ed. This is all on Captain Falcon btw.
Sadly they can do anything out of It. But... that just sets up a 50/50.

Edit: @XenoBrawler610 Alot of yoshis here are pretty good. I would play you myself but im taking a break. Go on anthers and you will find alot of good yoshi players.

Last edited:

JBones

Smash Cadet
Hello.

I'm a Luigi / Pikachu main and I honestly struggle against Yoshi.
I was wondering if there would be a Yoshi main that would like to fight me sometime so that I can get a better understanding on how to fight Yoshi.

Thank you.
Luigi and Pikachu are my worst matchups right now, so if our ping's good I'd be happy to play you. I'm on anthers

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I lost to YoHeKing in a Yoshi ditto. That makes me officially worst Yoshi since every other Yoshi has beaten him.

Edit: Btw I'm trying to pick up a legit secondary to deal with a few matchups (mainly Pikachu, Mac, Greninja, maybe Ness and Sonic) and for days when my Yoshi isn't working. I have a Link currently and I'm trying to learn Mario and Pit. Also got a decent G&W from Brawl. Do you guys think any of those would work out or should I try someone else?

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I lost to YoHeKing in a Yoshi ditto. That makes me officially worst Yoshi since every other Yoshi has beaten him.

Edit: Btw I'm trying to pick up a legit secondary to deal with a few matchups (mainly Pikachu, Mac, Greninja, maybe Ness and Sonic) and for days when my Yoshi isn't working. I have a Link currently and I'm trying to learn Mario and Pit. Also got a decent G&W from Brawl. Do you guys think any of those would work out or should I try someone else?
Dude i got really good in the yoshi ditto out of nowhere. Even ask @ muddykips muddykips . I really feel good now that i can actualy fight in a yoshi ditto xD.

Also Yoshis dittos or any other types of dittos dont determine who is the better yoshi or more skilled tbh. Its just MU knowledge.

Y

YoshiStar5000

Nah bruh. I'm probably the worst Yoshi here.

Anyways. About secondaries, I recommend Greninja out of those 5 chars. He is my main along with Yoshi and he covers many of Yoshis bad MUs like ZSS, Rosa, Fox ect...

But if you don't like Greninja don't play him. U probably won't do as well if you don't like the character. Also Greninja is one of the most technical characters in the game that require more skill than others. He might not be the best of them if you don't wanna study him for too long.

Last edited by a moderator:

shapular

Smash Ace

Anyways. About secondaries, I recommend Greninja out of those 5 chars. He is my main along with Yoshi and he covers many of Yoshis bad MUs like ZSS, Rosa, Fox ect...

But if you don't like Greninja don't play him. U probably won't do as well if you don't like the character. Also Greninja is one of the most technical characters in the game that require more skill than others. He might not be the best of them if you don't wanna study him for too long.
I meant Greninja is one of the characters I want a secondary for. Hate playing against that guy. Right now I usually CP Link against him. It works well, but Link is a terrible idea against Pikachu so I don't think he's the best idea.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379

Sheiks technical skill level is like 1/10th of grenijnjas technical skill level lol

Y

YoshiStar5000

Sheiks technical skill level is like 1/10th of grenijnjas technical skill level lol
Lol yeah

HOW TO WIN A TOURNEY:

1. Pick Sheik

2. EZ MONEY
I meant Greninja is one of the characters I want a secondary for. Hate playing against that guy. Right now I usually CP Link against him. It works well, but Link is a terrible idea against Pikachu so I don't think he's the best idea.
oh. In that case, if you want a character that can deal with those 5 characters, pick Mario. IMO He beats Ness 55/45, LM 60/40 or 65/35, Pikachu 50/50, Sonic 50/50 (Or 45/55 or 55/45. Depends on the player type) And I'm pretty sure he beats Greninja 65/35 from my experience and others.

Greninja gets comboed, has his projectile reflected, gets Rekt by fireballs, dies super early... Ect

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
You dont need to play sheik to win. Top 12 players for example.

Y

YoshiStar5000

Yeah IK. Top players are running to sheik like crazy though and everyone is picking her up.

shapular

Smash Ace
I don't think there's as much of a Sheik fever as there was for Diddy. You don't have that many people switching to Sheik from their old mains like people did for Diddy.

Y

YoshiStar5000

I don't think there's as much of a Sheik fever as there was for Diddy. You don't have that many people switching to Sheik from their old mains like people did for Diddy.
Yeah it wasn't really.

I just got the sheik tournament thing from a video on YouTube called "Sheik players in a nutshell" by the keef crew. Itz very gud vedeo

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I feel like all the other sheiks get rektd besides ZeRo and Mr R though...

Y

YoshiStar5000

Not really... They sometimes to set far in tourneys like DK will did. And Japan is very different with sheik.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I like never see any sheiks besides ZeRo and Mr R in top 8 or even top 16

Y

YoshiStar5000

DKwill at smash con.

False was top 16 at EVO I think too.

But this is Yoshi thread not sheik thread. Lol Yoshi in SLHG can do Dthrow to 8-9 Utilts on a Sheik...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom