• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
What do you mean? Like he suffers from stuff or the fact that all his dang moves cancel out everything.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah but my cynicism strikes me when if, persay, there was 0 Yoshi mains outside of Nikes and Zude and I kept presenting the 1st place tournament wins they used too/kept getting to smashboards and then people ask "who did they beat?"

Basically, I can say the players are good in my eyes, but what if others ask if the scene is even good itself or who all is good/worth mentioning over there. Everyone won't care if you get 1st, they only care if Zero or other top players are around the scene to make it seem like it's a difficult scene to get first in.

Not downplaying their achievements, just not entirely sure who is good in that scene or if it really is just that free or not.
That's harsh and a tad unfair. Basically, people are discrediting others achievement because they aren't beaten "recognized" names. Not everyone has the chance to go abroad to please others...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He could've had a lot of silly gimmicks. Like instead of UpB being egg throw it'd be side b instead and we can aim it in a straight or diagnol line but unable to move unless in the air like Yoshi's Story.
Or tongue (tether) to latch onto things/the ledge like Yoshi's Story.
Or his UpB has him using wings like SMW2 when he swallows a blue shell.

There's a lot that could've been used.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
He could've had a lot of silly gimmicks. Like instead of UpB being egg throw it'd be side b instead and we can aim it in a straight or diagnol line but unable to move unless in the air like Yoshi's Story.
Or tongue (tether) to latch onto things/the ledge like Yoshi's Story.
Or his UpB has him using wings like SMW2 when he swallows a blue shell.

There's a lot that could've been used.
i had the same thoughts. Like seriously Yoshi deserves these.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That's harsh and a tad unfair. Basically, people are discrediting others achievement because they aren't beaten "recognized" names. Not everyone has the chance to go abroad to please others...
Unfortunately, that's frequently the only way to actually compare players. Theorycrafting doesn't work that well, lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I think I'm being fair. Insanely fair actually.

In what world is anyone mentioning any other Yoshi mains outside of Sky Slice and Raptor now all of a sudden.
Raptor recently only cause, not sure honestly lol. But the former two are cause of reddit and Zero. Raptor I feel like is being mentioned around in both leddit and Smashboards almost solely cause I've been trying to make half an effort to point out other Yoshi's that actually exist (I know, it's spooky, MORE YOSHI MAINS THAN JUST SKY AND SLICE).
Since I've been pounding that into the cesspit that is /r/smashbros, now there's even for glory levels of casuals that mention 3 names now instead of just two and maybe Yoshidora/aiba :^)

The Small Cheez

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'm trying to main Yoshi but every time I go online I get stomped. I have like a 48% win or something and I didn't think I was THAT bad at the game. Most of my wins are either lucky or against beginners. I was wondering if someone could jump online with me sometime and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to improve on.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I hear Sky being a really good Yoshi but I've haven't see much vids or results. Is there any footage of his Yoshi I can look at?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Also I know plenty of people who think slice is the best Yoshi player by alot just because of a combo video off of For Glory or somthing.
Do you really think I'd use FG content for videos like this?
Not a single opponent of these is a beginner/bad player.

I don't want to make a statement or something like that. Just wanted to clarify, that I'd never fall down to such a level.
I make these videos with passion, not with the goal to satisfy the casual scene.

D

Deleted member 189823

Nikes is adorable

EDIT: Slice (,:

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Can confirm, Slice works really hard on his content and I'm always impressed by what he pulls off, especially considering the level of players he does it against.

If Slice wanted he could probably make a weekly combo video off For Glory because he's got them skills.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just to point out I'm not downplaying slice or anything, I just find it real unfortunate that it only got so popular cause it was posted on reddit.
Imagine if the other Combo vids other yoshi mains made threads for/posted in the vid thread made it before slice did. They'd become the big talk for Yoshi's even though they went from nameless to e-famous in an instant.

D

Deleted member 189823

That's amazing. Wait 'til I get my videos up. (,: Yes, this includes 3DS ones! I don't want to be a phonie, so I'll also try to get tournament results. I made 7th out of 64 going all Bowser, last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Do you really think I'd use FG content for videos like this?
Not a single opponent of these is a beginner/bad player.

I don't want to make a statement or something like that. Just wanted to clarify, that I'd never fall down to such a level.
I make these videos with passion, not with the goal to satisfy the casual scene.
Really? Some dude told me somthing about it being mostly based off of FG. Sorry about that. But anyways I still love you combo video regardless. Your combo video is fancy af... did you seriously make it yourself? I kinda want mine to have a cool intro like yours to but obviously not a copy

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Why would you believe what other people tell you.
If you actually watched the vid, you'd noticed more than half the clips are on smashville, the time limit is more than 6 minutes even on omega stages and there's even 3 stocks that pops up in some of the omega clips lol

If I played friendlies with people, I'd prolly choose omega gaur plain or Kalos almost everytime.

Depster

Smash Champion
Back in the Brawl days, it would have been acceptable since everyone started as a Wi-Fi Warrior. But most everyone here these days takes themselves seriously enough not to do it anymore.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Why would you believe what other people tell you.
If you actually watched the vid, you'd noticed more than half the clips are on smashville, the time limit is more than 6 minutes even on omega stages and there's even 3 stocks that pops up in some of the omega clips lol

If I played friendlies with people, I'd probably choose omega gaur plain or Kalos almost everytime.
i prefer normal FD because Yoshi bombing under the ledge works so amazing there. Also it was awhile back and he seemed convincing. Im pretty sure i know a lot better but combo videos still make people look so much better then they actually are. I know for a fact slice is good though because Ive seen him play. Same as you Sinister Slush. Aren't you like 5th in your state or city? I think KO told me about it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Wait what are you asking about me and my placement in SA?
I'm prolly 5th or 6th yeah. Our rankings is point based but also can manipulate it by inflating it and going to almost every weekly or having top players not tryharding and lower leveled players getting free wins so the lower level players gain a chunk of points.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Well the patch is out but mine's still downloading so I can't tell just yet...they shouldn't nerf him considering the lack of results in large tournaments and the lack of people repping him.
Guess we'll find out soon...

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
nah, i can't find any changes. at the very least his attacks all do the same amount of damage, even dair lol.

the only thing i can think of is that they made dsmash slightly faster (placebo), or they made him slightly lighter and i just don't notice it.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Everyone seems to be reporting that Yoshi's unchanged. I haven't noticed anything yet myself, but I haven't exactly done any extensive testing either.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
hey actually, can someone check if downb goes further than before?

i'm probably wrong, but i feel like downb from the ground makes yoshi go a little bit further now.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
NO WHAT?! YOSHIS BACK AIR IS A WIND BOX NOW?! It seems to fling the sandbag up high in online or just sandbags in general. HOLY CRAP. Is this good or bad?! Also the animation is diffrent and it seems faster because when you did full hop back airx2 the 2nd time the hitbox showed but not the animation and it seems to frame cancel

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
NO WHAT?! YOSHIS BACK AIR IS A WIND BOX NOW?! It seems to fling the sandbag up high in online or just sandbags in general. HOLY CRAP. Is this good or bad?! Also the animation is diffrent and it seems faster because when you did full hop back airx2 the 2nd time the hitbox showed but not the animation and it seems to frame cancel
please let this be real

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
im stuck in a regular tourney(not the crappy user made ones but the nintendo ones in regular mode) but i can confirm back air wasnt like this on sandbag awhile back.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i don't notice anything different about bair's knockback or trajectory. i thought it always launched people that way.

but while i was testing that, i noticed the hitsound on bair implies that yoshi's tail hits four times. if you just let it swish in the air, it sounds like the tail swishes four times, even though it only does three hits. thought that was interesting.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Remember how it use to spike? Well i think it bring the character with you now. let me test

Top Bottom