• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
His up air is what was stupid with him, even moreso with Dthrow easily going into it no matter what % the enemy is at.
The fair and Monkey flip still do 10/12% his Bthrow still kills. What are you going on about now.
People think his upthrow Is his only broken move. Its really not and just trying to get the boards a little more active.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Since when people say Diddy's Uthrow is broken?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I dont know. But it did kill earlyer then his downthrow up air. He probably has one of the best up throws in the game

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
It still killed at patch 1.0.6 but idk about 1.0.8. I think you could DI out of it though. Up throw up air diddy on low ceiling stages was horrible (and obviously other characters to)

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
So does anyone else feel like Yoshi is a lot better now than they originally thought? I know a lot of us felt like he was overrated and 10th place at best but I'm starting to think a bit differently (I originally thought 12th-15th). With all these character nerfs happening and me underestimating Yoshis kill potential, I think he can be a solid 8th now. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think Yoshi has amazing kill potential compared to the rest of the high tiers, but it's definitely better than what I used to think. Maybe it's because of the character nerfs or because people are playing smarter, thus making it easier to get a read for the kill, who knows but Yoshi has potential to go higher imo especially if customs are finally tossed away.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Was there a relevant nerf besides Diddy? I considered Yoshi worse than I originally thought after pondering his kill options, so I'm surprised to see you say the opposite. lol I have learned cool ways to score kills but at the end of the day they just seem like a bunch of tricks that don't overcome shield.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Nope, no relevant nerfs.
Mostly relevant buffs like Ike Falco Lucina/marth etc.

There's still a 12+ character wall (imo) that's in front of Yoshi keeping him from truly being a top tier character. Maybe middle of the pack high tier but not that high.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think Yoshi is 11th, top of B tier.

Maybe I'm just bad but I feel like he doesn't win many matchups against the high/top tiers besides Rosalina and maybe Ness and there are a lot of characters under him that does decent against him.

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
There were a few other nerfs but the Diddy one is huge considering he beats Yoshi badly. I'm not just talking about the most recent patch btw I'm referring to all of them. Yoshis kill potential isn't as bad as we're making it out to be. He's starting to feel better all around to me I think top 8 is possible

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Raptor, are you sure?

I'm still salty because I played against a Olimar and only could kill him at like 250% with a bthrow at the ledge

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Yeahhh when people get to that percent it's frustrating but yes I'm pretty sure this character has potential to be a solid 8, maybe even better (especially if customs are banned). Shieks bair nerf is also relevant btw.

I just feel like we need to keep working on getting our kill setups it isn't as terrible as it seems. Sure a lot of characters have an easier time doing so but Yoshi can make it happen due to his general mobility and mixup game. This all sounds very obvious and generic but putting it into practice in a game where rage is a thing and where many characters have braindead kill options is the hard part.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He should at least go even with Ness imo. I still don't think Ness has a powerful enough Neutral game to beat Yoshi.
I want to share a story about the last tournament I went too a few weeks ago.

I lost the yoshi ditto first round (like all true Yoshi mains losing the ditto) and almost decided to quit cuz I made the bad choice of not eating and playing league to rank up until 5 am and only getting 40ish minutes of sleep before having to get picked up and leave (4 plus hour drive no AC so no way I could sleep in TX car heat) but some of my SA brethren told me not too despite me alrdy deciding not surrendering.

Anyways tore through loser's and something I've told myself since I started smash 4, if I ever get 17th place I'll quit. I beat some mid level houston players until I got to the area where I thought my reign of terror in loser's was over, going against a pretty high level houstonite, was a ness main fight for 13th place.

It was a close match of going to game 3, and here's where the actual story starts (sorry :^) ), since it's ness the character that's known for spamming lots of airdodges into aerials (LIKE US), he chose Kalos Omega for game 3. There was quite literally a time we both just did SHAD 3 times in a row passing each other every time.
Was hilarious but the point of the whole post is basically... I almost got 17th place and the match between us was basically no good neutral to the point we would run at each other and SHAD hoping something would land or something would happen.

Ness has obscene aerials, even his not-so-great dair but that's mitigated by his entire kit basically kills us just like Luigi or Fox while having really good mobility when airdodging around.

Even seems about right despite Ness having earlier easier kill moves, like bthrow.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There wasn't sadly, but I can assure you it's a battle of airdodges in this match up if it turns into that. Only recording Houston tournaments get is like one recording set up that barely even records all the games that happens on it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This is weird, I almost never try to Air dodge into an Aerial with Ness, and I don't recall seeing NAKAT/Shaky/FOW doing it frequently.

Also Slush Ness' dair is useless. His other aerials are indeed godlike though.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You must not be watching them closely then. All I see them do is click airdodge like 3 times and follow up with a rising Nair or just Uair after the airdodge.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It's a good tool to get a Uair kill with a read I guess, but I don't see how exactly would Ness use it as frequently as Yoshi considering he's a lot slower in the air.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So does anyone else feel like Yoshi is a lot better now than they originally thought? I know a lot of us felt like he was overrated and 10th place at best but I'm starting to think a bit differently (I originally thought 12th-15th). With all these character nerfs happening and me underestimating Yoshis kill potential, I think he can be a solid 8th now. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think Yoshi has amazing kill potential compared to the rest of the high tiers, but it's definitely better than what I used to think. Maybe it's because of the character nerfs or because people are playing smarter, thus making it easier to get a read for the kill, who knows but Yoshi has potential to go higher imo especially if customs are finally tossed away.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Streaming friendlies for a little bit if anyone's interested: http://www.twitch.tv/nikesyoshi
Edit: sorry for the bad stream and for always spamming the social thread with stream links but not contributing towards discussion.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
My post glitched up above :(
Streaming friendlies for a little bit if anyone's interested: http://www.twitch.tv/nikesyoshi
Edit: sorry for the bad stream and for always spamming the social thread with stream links but not contributing towards discussion.
I dont mind. Its not like theres post limit.

@ RaptorTEC RaptorTEC Anyways im pretty confident in my character. I think he could defenetly be top 3 one day. Theres no doubt with the tools hr has. Its just no top player picks him up. I see characters obviously worst then yoshi more successful so its defenetly not impossible for yoshi to do better.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Top 3 is too much. If he is left the same as he is now without any buffs he will never be that high. And plenty of people have tried him to no avail top player or not. Denti who was a brawl top player picked him up and isn't doing much with him even though he switches away from Yoshi too. Most high level players don't bother with Yoshi because he's awkward and hard to use at that level.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Top 3 is too much. Iin yh he is left the same as he is now without any buffs he will never be that high. And plenty of people have tried him to no avail top player or not. Denti who was a brawl top player picked him up and isn't doing much with him even though he switches away from Yoshi too. Most high level players don't bother with Yoshi because he's awkward and hard to use at that level.
Maybe but there defenetly could be that yoshi player top 20 or even 10 In the world. Tiers dont really have a effect on the player. Just look at amsa. He managed to beat uneven matchups and become top 20 with a low tier character In melee

If ZeRo can win tourneys with captain falcon so could a yoshi player.

Anyways I have a hard time getting my point out lol. What I mean is Yoshi has the potential to be somthing great if we practice enough.

Depster

Smash Champion
The prophecy: "And one day, in the indeterminate future, a new challenger shall arise. He shall rival the Blood God in notoriety and strike fear into the hearts of the masses. This new champion of T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopa, the Bone God, shall be the One."

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
The prophecy: "And one day, in the indeterminate future, a new challenger shall arise. He shall rival the Blood God in notoriety and strike fear into the hearts of the masses. This new champion of T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopa, the Bone God, shall be the One."
Yeah. I should make one of the worst yoshi puns ever...

The Propheggcy...

#badpuns

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Like I said he's capable of rising but top 3 as a character is too high he doesn't have the tools like those other characters do. If there were to be a top 10 Yoshi player in the world I highly doubt it would be a player who hasn't already picked him up tbh.

P.s. That Zero example is bad and you should feel bad :mad:

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
It was a bad example lol. Did i offend anyone? :(

But yeah tier list dont make up the player. Its possible one of us or a unknown could be the number1 player in the world for awhile.

Everytime I hear about yoshi in these forums its normally about him not as good or somthing bad about him(not all of it). Well sence ive joined and it makes me a bit sad tbh. But I know we all practice really hard.

The Yoshi boards do have a bad rep believe it or not... The other day my freind asked me why I even went here.

Depster

Smash Champion
Actually that's somewhat true... I think Mr. Doom recommends new Yoshi players to not come here lol

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
One of my freind james (not DragN) said something about this place. He used big words and I had to look it up on google xD.

This community is alot nicer then alot others though. I saw I guy that was new to smashboards getting chewed out just for double posting... I use to double post her alot lol.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
By that logic no one should visit any character board in this forum lmao

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Not really. Ive been to other forums and they seem very confident and nice.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So we're a bad influence because we tell the truth about Yoshi to others?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Still, we could do with a little more positivity, don't forget Yoshi was considered low-tier/bottom of mid tier back in Brawl so lets make the most of how much better he is now-balance patches aren't going to win us tournaments alone.

So what's all this about our boards having a bad rep?

Top Bottom