• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

ividal

Smash Cadet
the black one was the color i picked but i changed to green recently, i feel i do better and its my favorite color

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Black Yoshi with the red accents can deal more damage than normal by cutting opponents on his edge.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Purple is my favorite but I also like using Black and Default Yoshi.
And I'm trying to look for a 4th colour. Any suggestions?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hi guys, back from my hiatus :) Have I missed anything big? (Other than no more sliding off platforms and ledges...:( )

Last edited:

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Had to switch from dblue yoshi to black Yoshi. So far ive been losing more games then usual. Maybe it has to do with the color theory. What u think about red yoshi. thinking that since red is sort of an angry color , itll have more people just throwing out attacks in blind rage like a bull, blue will have people tunnel vision feeling down and depressed. black is the absence of color so it would create a void in the hearts of the enemy. lol

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
It's times like today that I wished I could live in the UK..... :( Woolly World came out today, but not in the USA....to my dismay. October 16, 2015....COME SOONER!!!!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah I can't understand the reason for the delay for you guys :( The game is absolutely fantastic though, the long painful wait will be worth it.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So I changed my sheild to x and also tryed it on b and well... I found out that you cant do as much options out of sheild.

Also I found out they patched out yoshis side b AT.

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
So I changed my sheild to x and also tryed it on b and well... I found out that you cant do as much options out of sheild.

Also I found out they patched out yoshis side b AT.
Button config should have nothing to do with what you can/can't technically do. The only thing is If you've managed to make it physically impossible for you to hit the right keys within the input window. What shield options are you missing?

Which side-b AT? The one where we sit at a ledge jump and go flinging off to oblivion? Was anyone using that one?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Butprotection should have nothing to do with what you can/can't technically do. The only thing is If you've managed to make it physically impossible for you to hit the right keys within the input window. What shield options are you missing?

Which side-b AT? The one where we sit at a ledge jump and go flinging off to oblivion? Was anyone using that one?
Well I like to use my double jump out of sheild fot extra protection.

And im talking about the one that allows you to live about 20% later

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
the yoshi skype chat was remade, pm me on skype (name is Wv Regralht, pic is a blue yoshi) if you want to be added. feel free to add any other yoshis that might wanna join too

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Blue yoshis my color D:<... jk

But isnt skype video chat? I dont like video chat really lol.

I picked up sheik and well distroying yoshi has never been so easy. Seriously just bait the nair and win... I honestly think yoshi has to try a nit harder but if the yoshi really knows how to play in the MU its even. Im seeing yoshis do everything that I want them to do. Even in lag ive beaten them.

I dont think sheik is that bad in lag in certain MUs. Against rob and campy players its hard but sheik against rushdown characters seems very easy to play against.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Blue yoshis my color D:<... jk

But isnt skype video chat? I dont like video chat really lol.

I picked up sheik and well distroying yoshi has never been so easy. Seriously just bait the nair and win... I honestly think yoshi has to try a nit harder but if the yoshi really knows how to play in the MU its even. Im seeing yoshis do everything that I want them to do. Even in lag ive beaten them.

I dont think sheik is that bad in lag in certain MUs. Against rob and campy players its hard but sheik against rushdown characters seems very easy to play against.
Skype isn't just video, it has text based chat and we use that.

The talk of Sheik reminds me I meant to post a video today of me against a Sheik and totally forgot. :s

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Sheik is getting nerfed. ZeRo is picking her up... Good thing he hates yoshi.

Anyways if I do make a skype it will probably be YoHeKing lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just cause zero plays a character doesn't mean it's gonna get nerfed.
Are people really this naive to actually believe sakurai nerfed Diddy/Falcon only cause M2k and Zero played them in front of him?

Is this the age we live in where people are just sheep?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Just cause zero plays a character doesn't mean it's gonna get nerfed.
Are people really this naive to actually believe sakurai nerfed Diddy/Falcon only cause M2k and Zero played them in front of him?

Is this the age we live in where people are just sheep?
ZeRo was defenetly one of the biggest reasons but the fact that hes doing better with sheik then pre patch diddy scares me. Ya know how bad the smash 4 community is. BAM HAMMERS EVERYWHERE and its really annoying.

Im still the guy just saying prepatch diddy didnt need a patch ;).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No he wasn't, it was literally everyone in every nation dominating with a brainless easy character.
Smash 4
Is not the first game to get patches people.

It's not that the smash 4 community are babies or toxic and just want nerfs to save them. It's like that for all games, I still scream for nerfs like Irelia Sivir etc. for League.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Diddy definitely deserved the nerfs he received in 1.0.6, but not in 1.0.8 though

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The nerfs in 1.8 is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
The hitbox of that Uair was silly, I'm more surprised they left Fair alone too.

People only saying it's not ok cause a bunch of other safe dumb characters like Sheik Luigi etc. didn't get touched at all in the past 2 patches.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Not what I ment sinister slush. Its just in the 1.0.8 update. There was no reason for doing that and I use to use diddy and now I cant even play him to win. Hes just fun to use now.

Oh and people calling out for the roy nerfs is kinda dumb. People need to need to start dealing with it.

Im sure all the new nerf things are just part of the internet. I dont hear people saying they want to ban the top 5 players in melee and pikachu in ssb. I dont think the word NERF was even used back then for games but I could be wrong.

My point is even if theres gonna be a future patch or not you should see what you can do and get around that. Nothing is impossible and theres never gonna be brawl MK. I use to feel like giving up against shulk sheik and rosalina. But eventually I just tryed my best and beat distantkingdom on his own stream.

But hey, I dont mind patches as long as yoshi dosnt get touched ;)

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Not what I ment sinister slush. Its just in the 1.0.8 update. There was no reason for doing that and I use to use diddy and now I cant even play him to win. Hes just fun to use now.

Oh and people calling out for the roy nerfs is kinda dumb. People need to need to start dealing with it.

Im sure all the new nerf things are just part of the internet. I dont hear people saying they want to ban the top 5 players in melee and pikachu in ssb. I dont think the word NERF was even used back then for games but I could be wrong.

My point is even if theres gonna be a future patch or not you should see what you can do and get around that. Nothing is impossible and theres never gonna be brawl MK. I use to feel like giving up against shulk sheik and rosalina. But eventually I just tryed my best and beat distantkingdom on his own stream.

But hey, I dont mind patches as long as yoshi dosnt get touched ;)
Melee? Different community and different time. It wasn't until the last couple years (7? 8?) that balance patching was really even a thing. Nerf was used back then, but typically referred to changes between games, like the melee->brawl transition (amusingly, everyone thought Yoshi was potentially overpowered in the early days of Brawl, too).

Nintendo's been late to every internet party and has only begun patching stuff recently. Smash 4 is practically the first title they've really been patching seriously. You could complain a given character was "broken" or "OP" and it happened on every game forum known to man. But because there were no patches you learned to either deal with it or (more typically) moved onto something else. These days, the only guys who really play melee dream of being the best and pick the top 5 without much other thought on the matter, hence no complaining. Plus, fewer characters/stages mean less work to imagine you're spectacular.

Honestly, the nerf hammer is just a change of wording from "Marth is too easy to play/too good/cheap/Over-Powered" to "Diddy needs to be nerfed". Look at Mario Kart DS (the old posts anyway) and the drift-heavy characters/karts to see the kind of complaining that exists in games without patches but obvious tiers.

I guess you could learn to use multiple characters to hedge against nerfs. Hey! Yoshi's pretty balanced; Maybe he's a good jumping board? Who's the next closest character to Yoshi that's pretty viable?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Melee? Different community and different time. It wasn't until the last coyears (7? 8?) that balance patching was really even a thing. Nerf was used back then, but typically referred to changes between games, like the melee->brawl transition (amusingly, everyone thought Yoshi was potentially overpowered in the early days of Brawl, too).

Nintendo's been late to every internet party and has only begun patching stuff recently. Smash 4 is practically the first title they've really been patching seriously. You could complain a given character was "broken" or "OP" and it happened on every game forum known to man. But because there were no patches you learned to either deal with it or (more typically) moved onto something else. These days, the only guys who really play melee dream of being the best and pick the top 5 without much other thought on the matter, hence no complaining. Plus, fewer characters/stages mean less work to imagine you're spectacular.

Honestly, the nerf hammer is just a change of wording from "Marth is too easy to play/too good/cheap/Over-Powered" to "Diddy needs to be nerfed". Look at Mario Kart DS (the old posts anyway) and the drift-heavy characters/karts to see the kind of complaining that exists in games without patches but obvious tiers.

I guess you could learn to use multiple characters to hedge against nerfs. Hey! Yoshi's pretty balanced; Maybe he's a good jumping board? Who's the next closest character to Yoshi that's pretty viable?
TBH I dont need a pocket main for any MU. Ive studyed each MU for way to long for yoshi and nothing gives me trouble besides the YOSHI DITTO! I actually loose every yoshi ditto I play lol.

But yeah the first sentence was what I was trying to explain. And nerf wasnt a big deal back then. Smash 4 pulls out the ban hammar way to fast. People were asking for roy nerfs day one like wth?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
There was no reason for doing that and I use to use diddy and now I cant even play him to win.
The reason was that up-air was a stupid move and caused Diddy to be a character with only one necessary tactic. The nerf to up-air was not only warranted, I think it makes Diddy a much better designed character now, because his toolkit is better rounded.

And if you can't win with Diddy now, I guarantee you it's a personal problem. The character is still high tier.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Diddy has no more combos... he has a few actually.. and tbh I think yoshis up air is much better imo. It frame traps to.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Diddy has combos, what do you mean.
Smash 4 diddy was just reverted to Brawl diddy, relying on bananas Fsmash Fair for kills/combos.

Diddy is fine, anyone who can't get an easy win with diddy anymore and complains about the nerfs needs to shut up.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Diddy has combos, what do you mean.
Smash 4 diddy was just reverted to Brawl diddy, relying on bananas Fsmash Fair for kills/combos.

Diddy is fine, anyone who can't get an easy win with diddy anymore and complains about the nerfs needs to shut up.
His hoohaa honestly didnt need a nerf... TBH I think customs could save diddy. Diddy dosnt have combos like he use to. And his only real combos now are atsmall percents but he still good ofc!

Also did you have to come off a bit rude...:c Diddy is still vaible I guess.

@ Scarlet Jile Scarlet Jile Also it wasnt his up air that was the most op thing about him. Dont forget his spammable back air and fair. Diddys who spammed his fair were annoying af lol.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I hate the term hoohah, but yes. It did need a nerf.
His uair was stupid too, especially the size of it while being an incredibly fast early kill move.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I hate the term hoohah, but yes. It did need a nerf.
His uair was stupid too, especially the size of it while being an incredibly fast early kill move.
Patch 1.0.6 his down throw triple up air did like 20%. It wasnt that bad.

IMO prepatched yoshi rosalina and sheik probably were better then pre patched diddy. I kinda wanna know the answer to that though haha.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That's because the new combo to do once they messed with his Uair and Dthrow damage (the hit boxes 3 frame Uair etc. was all the same) wasn't the best thing to use for big damage early on.
Uthrow into Fair was the new way of getting a free 18+%

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
That's because the new combo to do once they messed with his Uair and Dthrow damage (the hit boxes 3 frame Uair etc. was all the same) wasn't the best thing to use for big damage early on.
Uthrow into Fair was the new way of getting a free 18+%
What about robs and luigis? Arnt they just a broken?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yes for Luigi, no to ROB. But that just brings up a post I said hours ago.
If Luigi Sheik Pikachu etc. got nerfs along with Diddy, people would be complaining less. But because Nintendo only touched Diddy's diddly and left the others alone, that's why the nerf to diddy is getting under peoples skin. Only Diddy got nerfed.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yes for Luigi, no to ROB. But that just brings up a post I said hours ago.
If Luigi Sheik Pikachu etc. got nerfs along with Diddy, people would be complaining less. But because Nintendo only touched Diddy's diddly and left the others alone, that's why the nerf to diddy is getting under peoples skin. Only Diddy got nerfed.
TBH I agree with more buffs. Nerfs would just eventually make characters slower. Buff framedata on the lower tiers and keep thr top tiers the same or this games gonna get slow over time imo

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
A lot of characters had a very bad MU against diddy mostly because of the Uair kills, Jigglypuff was like -3 against him. He definitely deserved the Uair nerf

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
That reminds me. The other day I got killed by a rob from a downthrow up air at 40% perfect DI. No clue how it happend lol.

But anyways diddys fair was pretty bad to. his up air was obviously not what made him super op. It was his damage outputs and framedata mostly. His side b and fair did 14 damage and killed. He has kill throws too.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
His up air is what was stupid with him, even moreso with Dthrow easily going into it no matter what % the enemy is at.
The fair and Monkey flip still do 10/12% his Bthrow still kills. What are you going on about now.

Top Bottom