• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

i like math 123

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I'm going to bring an SD card in case they don't have one for recording. The only practice I've ever had is vs my younger brother so this should be a treat.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone! I'm a new player and I'm going to my first tournament next Saturday (~40-50 people). I'll be repping Yoshi, and will probably use Sheik as a secondary.
Welcome to the Yoshi boards! Going to your first tournament might be nerve wracking, but I'm sure you'll use all that practice to good use. Sheik is a great option for a secondary too.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hi everyone! I'm a new player and I'm going to my first tournament next Saturday (~40-50 people). I'll be repping Yoshi, and will probably use Sheik as a secondary.
Welcome to the Island Boards! Good luck and have fun, try and get as many friendlies in with people as you can and make the most of it. :) If it's not too much overload for you, there's a few links that may be helpful for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg29m305sjs&list=PL7Tqh9MN57X-dLX2HFjUXtWCjZLtLwUwS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnG_M6H0UU4
And my Yoshi guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/yoshis-story-survival-guide.27/
I don't expect you to be able to take all of it in before the tournament as these things take time and experience to sink in, but they should still be somewhat useful, hopefully.

Anyway, hope you have a blast!

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Hey, could I get added to this mysterious Yoshi skype? Who should I PM?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's best to keep activity here on the boards so people don't see us as a desolate wasteland (even though the Skype chat is usually equally desolate).

But all you need to do is post your Skype. Anyone can add you, lol.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Oh, well I'd rather use this too. It's just empty enough that I figured maybe the Skype would have more activity. :awesome:
Enokikone is my skype.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Out of my four mains, Yoshi is the one who gives me the most victories. I feel somewhat insecure when using Rosalina, and Palutena and Charizard really depend on their matchups, but I can truly feel I can beat any character with Yoshi.

It feels great being able to use win again after two games :) He was my main in 64 but I didn't like him in Melee and Brawl because he felt too awkward. Now he's better than ever :D

i like math 123

Smash Rookie
I ended up making top 16 in that tournament I went to on Sat with Yoshi!
http:// challonge.com/Nml1v1smash (bracket)
I saved some of the matches on an SD card I brought but when I put it in my WiiU at home, the videos aren't there. I guess they're non-transferable or something.

shapular

Smash Ace
The Tennessee power rankings came out today. I'm ranked #9. I'm happy about it but I definitely think I can make top 5 with a little bit of work. One of the guys I beat at my last tournament ended up being ranked #2.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Even though I sick and didn't feel like going to this weekly cuz backwards sleep schedule, Imma reluctantly go to it because afraid I might drop in placements for not going.
That aside, after this weekly I think I'm gonna make a thread on Yoshi's Pros and Cons for almost every single move and maybe talk about Neutral Advantage and Disadvantage state.

Would it be called Metagame discussion?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sounds like a metagame discussion kinda thing.

You might also consider making it the advanced Yoshi guide. We could use a resource like that as well.

Also, I'll totally be done with finals tomorrow and then I won't feel like death anymore yayyyyyyyyy

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was thinking of making the thread, but everytime I get a bright idea you already make a post with most stuff I had in my head alrdy.

Don't wanna make a thread that's half just copy paste stuff from you lol

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No one person needs the credit. We could all put something up together. I'm sure I'm not getting everything with my posts, and some edits are probably necessary (which you/anyone else could probably provide).

Also, I'm WAY too lazy to do something along the lines of pros and cons for every single move. I could definitely use help for that.

If there's enough interest, I'm down to make the thread for a community guide to playing Yoshi. A list of things I could imagine it needing are:

• Basic Introduction to Yoshi's moves (Something like what's in @ Nikes Nikes guide, which already exists)
  • Frame data (Which @Yikarur has mostly done already)
  • Basic combos/chains/setups to look out for (we've got a couple threads/posts on this around already)
  • Definition of neutral/advantage/disadvantage (I've already got an okay write up on this, but it could use some work)
    • How Yoshi tends to work in all these stages of the match (we've got a good framework on this from our Fox MU discussion posts already, but I could use some help from people who actually play this game)
  • Advanced Techs (The lab thread's already got some stuff on this)
  • Custom Move Analysis (We all kinda know what's good/bad already, but we could use some real analysis).

I don't think we'd need to put in too much work if we all pooled together what we already had. Plus, it'd be a great one stop resource for people really looking to get into Yoshi.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
If you guys want to make a separate guide that's all well and good, but it'd probably be better to just have 1 big and proper community guide that featured everyone's input.
Idk what else to include in my guide but I don't think or feel it's even that benificial to anyone really. :/

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Your guide's a good source for getting quick info about Yoshi's moves. Plus it's got a list of basic chains.

I also forgot one thing the guide would need: A snazzy name. Taking all suggestions.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Inspecting for Melons: Yoshi Metagame Discussion

Yoshi Story related, sniffing fer melons

dunno, was my idea when I was laying in bed thinking of titles and what to put in the thread.
Imma make the thread tomorrow maybe.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Hola, my name is Manuel. I use KD3 as my main but I just started using Yoshi yesterday and he seems really fun to play with.

Since I am still learning the character, I was not sure what his kill moves were. I managed to rack a lot of damage without too much of a hassle, but other than spiking with fair I could not kill that easy.

I managed to get a charizard above 200 percent and still did not kill it. I think uair is good but very situational.

Any recommendations to close the match?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Uair, Fair, Usmash, and Down B are your go to kill moves. At higher percents, Bair will kill as well. Fsmash is decent as well, but you must make sure not to miss with it, as it's quite punishable.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
He's really good at racking up the % but doesn't really have any 'guaranteed' kill setups like some other characters, his kill moves are his Smashes naturally (Dsmash isn't as reliable as the other two), down B, and all his aerials.

Best to 'worst' for each category goes in this order:
Smashes: Usmash/Fsmash are both equally as good imo, then Dsmash.
Aerials: Uair, Nair, Fair, then Dair.

Usmash: Covers a lot of range above him and for an Usmash its range in front of him is great too.

Fsmash: He rears back before lunging forward and striking so it's like a dodge-and-hit, which naturally catches people out. Great reach on this. *Be careful to not use it up too close or you can utterly miss with this and be left wide open.

Dsmash: Has weaker parts of its hitbox where it won't kill, and even the stronger parts of it aren't always reliable, gotta have 'em at higher %'s and close to the ledge. Still not a bad move imo.

DownB: If you catch them with the first hit of the grounded version of this it usually (but not always) links into the 2nd hit which kills. As a side note, this move does ridiculous shield damage and breaks shields a ton, which obviously leaves them open for you to act on.

Uair: Comes out really fast, great range. Probably his most reliable aerial kill move.

Nair: This move also comes out really fast. It doesn't knock them out as far as a smash, but it's initial knockback is enough to get the kill if you're close enough to the side of the stage without any real trouble. You can use the late-hitbox on it to easily gimp people offstage and stop them from recovering as well.

Fair: As you know this move spikes, but it can also hit them to the sides depending on where you hit with it.

Bair: The first hit drags them down and it takes a bit before they can act, so it's good for gimping if you can land only that single hit. The last hit kills surprisingly reliably at higher %'s, gotta be careful about the end lag on this one if you miss though.

Dair: Ok this one's really situational, but the last hit of Dair pops your opponent up. On high %'s it either does this or sends them to the sides, which also kills. Not reliable, but it's worth knowing anyway. It's very hard to land the last hit on grounded opponents too unless they're above you on a platform, otherwise you want to hit them with this when they're in mid-air.

Jab 1 and eggs set up for most of these moves by the way, just gotta be careful about them shielding it.

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Thanks for the input. Maybe is the KD3 in me, but I don't find myself using smash attacks a lot. Will do next time.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
First change in the thread title since the 3DS release, I attempted to be creative with Yoshi puns for better or worse-probably worse. Am cringing.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not yet, only upsets I've done so far is in doubles and against a Villager main in Houston. Otherwise I'm basically top 5 or 6 in my city cause all either better characters than Yoshi or just better player.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hey man, good to hear from you again.

So far I've won all the tournaments in my scene this year and did well out-of-state earlier this year placing 3rd at a major and creating lots of upsets, but our scene's gone from having monthlies to bi-monthies so it's going to take longer to fill up the results thread on this side of things. >_>
Also I've gotta get a new laptop now cause my capture card's been choppy lately, rip evo plans.

How about your end of things?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I just play this yoshi for one match right? well first match he plays like your everyday yoshi player, then, I counter pick fd and he just SPAMS the whole match. (not to mention he quit the second match for a bullcrap reason when I was ahead 27%) I have no practice with campy/spammy yoshis because, well, NO ONE EVER PLAYS HIM IN FRENDLIES its like no matter how many players you go up against, they wont spam or camp unless its a competitive match. every time I DO play a campy yoshi the only experience I have is like 3 matches. (which probably means everyone thinks its boring to play a campy yoshi) If anyone here IS willing to play me with a campy yoshi in frendlies I would be glad to play you. (even though campy yoshi makes me go insane)

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Ey yo we gunna step it oll up ai tell yo! Eggs **** n stuff gunna be dropped HORD! gonna make som rhymes n spikes n **** yo all!

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Sup Yoshis ;o How is everyone doing in tournaments? Any big wins/upsets?
Doing alright, got 2nd the last tourney a couple weeks back.

Currently our state is hosting Dkwill, Jtails, Larry Lurr, and NinjaLink in a 3-day long annual anime convention (Kawaii Kon). Today's event was a round robin exhibition match for Team Hawaii vs Team Mainland and we held our own decently hah. Jtails took 1st and Dkwill 2nd for the FFA items on tournament later in the day. Tomorrow is doubles, and on sunday is singles which I'm going to be competing in.

I MM'd Dkwill a few days ago and got absolutely crushed. Got any tips Raptor? :p

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
Sup Yoshis ;o How is everyone doing in tournaments? Any big wins/upsets?
Just got results for a online tournament here in mexico, ended being top 17, i honestly thought i would get lower but seeing this to me is a good result, theres pretty good competition here, even a wario that is challenging 1st place in the tourney, hope i can rank higher next tourney

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Welp todays the day, we got 88 entrants with four out of state guests. Lets hope hawaii defends ourselves and protect top 4. I'll let you guys know if I get on stream.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Good job on that win against that Mario, nerve wrecking stuff. Good luck with your other matches, you've got this!

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
Has anyone faced a good DK yet? DK's Bair and Uptilt are scary. Ik when they lose momentum they can be punching bags but I feel like DK's range seems larger than I expected.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Yeah. I have. If dk spaces properly, he can b pain in the butt to approach. That back air is fffaassttt. And his f air too!
Has anyone faced a good DK yet? DK's Bair and Uptilt are scary. Ik when they lose momentum they can be punching bags but I feel like DK's range seems larger than I expected.

Top Bottom