• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Customs are legal for Evo, and now my facebook feed is full of the salty tears of lots of smashers.
I'm stoked about custom moves being on. Don't give no ****s about all the babies cryin
It's funny cause our state just transitioned from the trial 3 stock/customs to Apex ruleset (2 stock/no customs) for tournaments. I like customs, opens up the complexity of matchup ratios and makes you learn on the go.

Depster

Smash Champion
My first smash 4 tournament experience was with customs. Just when I thought I knew the game, stuff was being weird all over the place from the different moves. It was confusing.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Customs are great because they can allow for characters to have access to a better special moveset without having to resort to switching to a secondary. This means that there should be a better "balance" of character matchups as every character can benefit from at least one custom move.

Default yoshi is great already but with a couple notable customs(lick, egg launch, light egg roll), he can get the extra boost to win.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It's probably already covered in the custom moveset discussion thread, but what's the point of light egg roll?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
It's probably already covered in the custom moveset discussion thread, but what's the point of light egg roll?
Honestly it's not much better, but it is safer than default (such as landing with it/accidental input) and its ability to hit aerial opponents is a nice touch.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Gonna be on stream now www.twitch.tv/theodofaction for some dubs action. Singles in about an hour.
GJ on the win in that set! I feel like there were a few moments when you or your teammate could've helped each other get back from being offstage and kept your stocks a little longer by going for the person standing next to the ledge rather than chasing down the other guy, but still you guys did good.

What's the GSM mean in your scene's tags btw?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
I mostly think it's silly because most of the customs are awful anyway, and then there are several that glitch out anyway

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Custom moves are overrated imo, people act like it is going to somehow make the roster balanced when in reality we all know the same characters (diddy and sheik mostly) are probably still going to dominate anyway.

Also guys, if custom moves are allowed, prepare to see Yoshi drop even more in the tier list, because his customs are all useless except against little mac. And characters like Sanic and Pikachu which already gives trouble to Yoshi are going to be potentially better.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Delta ur full a **** m8
jab ain't gonna be helping against sanic and even if we do clank with a better move (Dash attack) he can get ftilt before we can react.

What sonic's are you playing against anyways, and you must have godly reactions to be jabbing a fully charged spin dash.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Custom moves are overrated imo, people act like it is going to somehow make the roster balanced when in reality we all know the same characters (diddy and sheik mostly) are probably still going to dominate anyway.

Also guys, if custom moves are allowed, prepare to see Yoshi drop even more in the tier list, because his customs are all useless except against little mac. And characters like Sanic and Pikachu which already gives trouble to Yoshi are going to be potentially better.
Yes diddy and shiek are still gonna dominate because they're great with/without customs anyway. The reason why it will make the roster more "balanced" is because characters with less than stellar special movesets (Palutena, Ganon, Ike, etc.) are going to get a boost with access to better custom moves. What I'm trying to say is that there will be a lesser gap between the top tiers and low tiers.

Some people will still prefer to use default characters (as they may only have one or two good customs), so we need players to experiment with the options they have. There simply is not enough data right now because the majority of tournaments have banned customs since release. Now with Evo coming up, we will start to see and get an idea of which characters will elevate their position on the tier list.

Sakurai gave Smash 4 a chance to stop being compared to its predecessors (namely Melee) because customs give it a unique quality. The metagame will shift as time progresses, and so with customs, maybe we'll see new faces competing along with the current top/high tier characters.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta ur full a **** m8
jab ain't gonna be helping against sanic and even if we do clank with a better move (Dash attack) he can get ftilt before we can react.

What sonic's are you playing against anyways, and you must have godly reactions to be jabbing a fully charged spin dash.
Fite me irl.

Is Sanic's Ftilt faster than jab? I find that...improbable...

I first read godly as "goofy", lol. I've been told my reactions are pretty good, but I really don't think it's that hard to do, since you'll always have time. They're not releasing right in your face, and Sonic's usual neutral range is plenty far enough to give you the time to react to the release.

I played against @ Camalange Camalange in my first tournament, lost game 1 and then made the comeback because jab, basically.

@Customs Discussion: While Diddy/Sheik will still probably be really good, it opens up the Mii characters for play, as well as Palutena and maybe some others who have good customs. I honestly am not familiar with most of the customs, but I'm sure plenty of characters can have good mileage off some of theirs. There may be some degenerate ones, but I really think we can just ban them individually. People think it's too much work, and it will take effort, but come on, it's not thaaaaaaaaat hard.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As someone who plays against goddamn X all the time, Jab isnt going to help in the slightest, youre better off Jumping with nair.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Good luck timing jab though, and even then Sonic can cancel spindash into shield and shield grab jab. Idk, Ive never liked using jab, it never works and I occasionally get punished for it, but with nair (which im not saying to do a lot, just if you have to try and contest it, nair is usually better imo), you get to use your aerial mobility to generally be safe enough to get through the animation, and we have the tools to land against Sonic.

Jab just isnt out long enough and is too small of a hitbox to reliably connect without godlike reaction time, and against a really good Sonic who knows how to mix up on block, approach tons of different ways, and knows what defensive tools you have at your disposal, he can easily dance around jab and make it nothing more than a possible once in a while surprise catch tool.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
But honestly, there's no better way to deal with spin dash. There's nothing better to do but reset? Which fails because Sanic speed.

Edit: accidentally hit send.

But really, jab is fine, meaty enough, and unless he gets ALL the way in your face with the shield, you should be okay on block. If you didn't, you were too slow.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ftilt oos will punish a jab regardless of how far away he shields it, and I think his jab is the same range as ours (maybe very slightly less) so it'll punish too. Also side b oos is usually fast enough as well.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I hadn't been in the lab with Yoshi too much lately, but I was playing with some friends last night, some of which are way better than me, and not doing so well. Decided I'd try out my Yoshi, and wrecked everyone. I only lost one game. Felt good.

Edit: also Wrecking Crew is a terrible Yoshi stage. Life lessons.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I played against @ Camalange Camalange in my first tournament, lost game 1 and then made the comeback because jab, basically.
Jab can clank, yes, but tbf I hadn't dealt with Yoshi before that, and this was a decent time ago, so there are ways to deal with it. I shouldn't have been coming at you directly with Spin Dash as often.

As a general rule of thumb, pretty much every character's jab can clank with a spin... But that just resets the situation and it becomes a battle of frames after that. Also, people like to just hold jab while Sonic is charging spin, so Sonic can either just cancel it altogether, or release it so it hits between the jab cycle (harder against characters with really fast jabs).

I can personally say I hate Yoshi's Nair. I feel like it's active for so long and covers a lot of options.

:093:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
At this point I play Espy almost every tournament while any big regionals or nationals I get him in my pool all the time, sonic can just reset even if we do clank miraculously and he gets so much more from punishes or trades for obvious reasons.
Spindash doing 20+ not even counting the aerial yet, speed, grabs, chase in the air, throws being good etc.

We already couldn't camp against him very well back in brawl but our other way of camping was just sitting back to toss one or two eggs to bait him in and just pivot grab all day long. Smash 4 getting rid of grab armor just makes this even more hellish for us cause we can't even egglay nor pivot grab him anymore.
I at least went evenish against Sanic in brawl, Smash 4 he gained so much while Yoshi lost so much from both nerfs and mechanics of the game not counting OoS options.

Nair being out long doesn't really matter cause the lingering hitbox is so small, the only times you should actually have problems with it/complain about it is when it comes out at frame 3 with its giant hitbox for a couple frames but when is sonic ever gonna be in Yoshi's face on the ground for OoS nair?
His Fair juggling keeps yoshi in hitstun long enough to where he can't do anything until the fair chain is ovah, so can't Nair during those hits nor SDI under him and get a free Uair like you could in brawl.

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
just cameback from a local tourney, got 2nd using yoshi all along and i must say, many people where i live really suck, some of them came from brawl so they didnt know how to move, at the 3rd round i started seeing good players, beating a good rob and what was considered the best player in brawl.

At finals is where i got trouble, and call this coincidence, it was a sonic who beat me, how does a yoshi deal with a good sonic? his spin dash can't really be stopped unless we snipe him with the egg and he has many ways to come back from the air with his dair or nair, does anyone have any tips? and also dont count stages cuz where i live, everyone wants FD/omega so no battlefield or anything -_-

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
just cameback from a local tourney, got 2nd using yoshi all along and i must say, many people where i live really suck, some of them came from brawl so they didnt know how to move, at the 3rd round i started seeing good players, beating a good rob and what was considered the best player in brawl.

At finals is where i got trouble, and call this coincidence, it was a sonic who beat me, how does a yoshi deal with a good sonic? his spin dash can't really be stopped unless we snipe him with the egg and he has many ways to come back from the air with his dair or nair, does anyone have any tips? and also dont count stages cuz where i live, everyone wants FD/omega so no battlefield or anything -_-
Even if they want Omega everything, that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate or pressure you into only going there, since playing with no platforms makes a lot of matchups an uphill battle. Or are the other stages like BattleField and SmashVille banned there?o_0

Chasing down Sonic on FD is absolutely tedious. It's not that much of a problem keeping up with him anywhere else but if you guys are only playing omegas...maybe if you clank with his spindash then spotdodge his jab/grab in anticipation then punish? His dash attack seems to catch us out a lot so watch out for that mixup...>_> Probably not very much help, sorry.

Congrats on 2nd though! Good job! :)

ividal

Smash Cadet
Even if they want Omega everything, that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate or pressure you into only going there, since playing with no platforms makes a lot of matchups an uphill battle. Or are the other stages like BattleField and SmashVille banned there?o_0

Chasing down Sonic on FD is absolutely tedious. It's not that much of a problem keeping up with him anywhere else but if you guys are only playing omegas...maybe if you clank with his spindash then spotdodge his jab/grab in anticipation then punish? His dash attack seems to catch us out a lot so watch out for that mixup...>_> Probably not very much help, sorry.

Congrats on 2nd though! Good job! :)
Its not that theyre banned or anything, where i live, the only way they know how to play is no items, FD only, since melee its like that, when we suggested having at least, battlefield and smashville available for choosing, they said no, so we went FD on all matches, thats the only thing that sucks about the tourneys here were i live, but meh what can you do :/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nair being out long doesn't really matter cause the lingering hitbox is so small, the only times you should actually have problems with it/complain about it is when it comes out at frame 3 with its giant hitbox for a couple frames but when is sonic ever gonna be in Yoshi's face on the ground for OoS nair?
A frame 3 aerial with a giant starting hitbox and lingering hitboxes sounds pretty strong to me.
His Fair juggling keeps yoshi in hitstun long enough to where he can't do anything until the fair chain is ovah, so can't Nair during those hits nor SDI under him and get a free Uair like you could in brawl.
Sonic's Fair juggles are quite situational...

:093:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The lingering hitbox is incredibly small, I'm not saying the 3 frame startup isn't strong, but saying a 3% lingering sex kick that's about as small as Yoshi's nose isn't really good, there's a reason why we don't use that for gimps against UpB's like diddy or rosalina and favor Fair or sometimes even dair over it

If you were allowing delta to use a lingering nair to punish your things in your who knows how long ago match, den you both weren't really playing at your best back then.

A lot of stuff for Yoshi most likely stayed the same but yeah, think of smash 4's nair late hitbox while looking at this lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom