• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Gosh dernit, why are our threads so dead?
The only thread with movement is the Ditto tournament one, and that's mostly trash talking. We Yoshies need to socialize more!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
But trash talk is socializing!

To be honest, we're usually kinda lax on board activity because of the Skype group that was made during the Brawl days. I started the Ditto tournament to spark more board activity here, and to get the newer Yoshis more involved with the old ones, since otherwise they tend not to have much presence here. It's kind of working! It's fair to think of the Ditto Thread as a secondary social for the time being. I've also been trying to get more social activity moved from Skype onto here, because Skype is hidden and some people may think we're all mean and a dead board, etc.

However, a board is only ever as active as its members make it. If threads are dead, you should go around and try to spark discussion and activity. I've been trying to be better about replying to almost everything that's been posted these days, but nobody ever replies back. =(

MU discussion is slow because nobody really has experience yet. So that'll be another tough road. If you want the social active, give us topics to discuss! I'm a terrible conversation starter, but if something interesting comes up I'd love to partake in the socialization.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
These boards need more cookies, only then shall you lure us out of hiding and into the wide open.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Every Yoshi main had the game at some point in their lives.
I didnt. Don't make assumptions.
What'll make me really surprised is hearing one say they played Yoshi Topsy-Turvsy. Talk about an obscure game...
Also, can we use this as a chat room or would the Skype group be more fitting?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Topsy Turvy isn't really an obscure game since everyone had a DS back then and most likely played some Warioware games. Just Topsy Turvy wasn't a good game.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've played Topsy-Turvy. I remember it being really weird, not really sure on whether it was supposed to be like Yoshi's story or not, and ultimately not getting very far.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I never played Yoshi's Cookie tbh. I just thought of it immediately when I saw the word "cookie" in the Yoshi social.
I do have the game Yoshi, however, thanks to the 3DS ambassador program. It's pretty fun.
There's also a blatant clone of Yoshi on my calculator called Dino Puzzle.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I actually became aYoshi fan through the Mario Party games. I refused to play unless I got to be yoshi. And Yoshi's Story was my favorite game for so long. I used to cry when a yoshi died. :laugh:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The events that conspired after they died isn't what was spooky, it was the loud high pitched squeak yoshi's make when they die that I didn't like. So level where cheep cheep can swallow you whole and last stage where you can get crushed were the bane of my existence.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Whenever that happened in Yoshi's Story, I had a mini heart-attack and felt sick, then immediately proceeded to switch off the 64. It actually scarred me and still does.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Only thing that spooked me when I was younger was Clanker's Cavern in B-K.
Thankfully that's one of the many things for US 90'S KIDS had to deal with tho.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yo, Clanker is so scary at first. Plus, there's the constant fear of drowning, and just... ugh.

Drowning is my least favorite way to go in any game. Instant water related deaths also fall under this category, like the giant cheep cheeps in Mario 64 and Yoshi's Story.

Last edited:

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I loved the N64 games that had some very unsettling moments. Especially Rareware games. But on the subject of Yoshi, I also remember how in Yoshi's story the music was so unsettling sometimes. Like when you were low on health and about to die and the music turned really depressing. And water levels make it even worse. I actually had a nightmare where I got carried off by the shy guy things and taken to the castle. Worst dream ever.

ividal

Smash Cadet
at least i know now that i wasnt the only one who got scared when a yoshi in yoshi's story died, damn animation was quite creepy

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
The events that conspired after they died isn't what was spooky, it was the loud high pitched squeak yoshi's make when they die that I didn't like. So level where cheep cheep can swallow you whole and last stage where you can get crushed were the bane of my existence.
Can dinosaurs even make that sound?
I made a PROMISE to myself to not let any Yoshies die in that game. I mean, heck, seeing the grown Yoshies die in the Island games was already uncomfortable (especially via spikes), but these are just kids.
I only died once, and that was due to a screw up near spikes inside Bowser's Castle.
Also, Cloud'n'Candy is the hardest boss EVER in gaming history (sarcasm).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The PM Yoshi boards think Melee/PM's egg throw is a better tool than Brawl/4's egg throw.

I've almost passed out due to laughing so much.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
PM's egg throw is fantastic for gimping and kill setups due to the engine of the game+hitstun etc, and the eggs can go really far down and deep offstage and are more flexible than Smash 4's+go way further. But with that said, I don't like having no upB recovery at all, and short hop egg toss is really good.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, SH eggs are pretty much his only approaching option without foolishly rushing in and dash-attacking. I'll gladly give up everything else just for the ability to actually approach.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Any eggs that go 1. Far/fast 2. High/low 3. helps landings while recovering and 4. Behind you, is a good Egg throw.

I forget the speed and how low it could go in 64 but I know it went behind him.
Melee was I think the first game where they removed the whole no behind him thing
Brawl went really far and fast but not very good on the whole low part.
Smash 4 doesn't go far or high when a grounded ET (as if we'd do this now), but it does go far or low when aerial Egg throw.

So depending if I can remember speed of 64, that's prolly the best eggz followed by maybe brawl or melee's since Brawl introduced the egg toss hops.

Depster

Smash Champion
Melee eggs go backwards, but only just enough to basically slide down your back I think. I like Melee eggs the best just because of how much better ECE is and the gimp potential.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Not really a similar comparison because there isn't a true replacement for an angled tilt/smash where as there is for up B by throwing the egg in the other direction. I think being able to easily throw it directly up is better.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Being able to throw it behind you allows you to refresh ledge invincibility while dropping eggs below the edge and behind you. It's kind of moot in this game because of the way ledges work, but yeah.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Can't you grab the edge backwards with and egg toss? I guess it being easier for ledgeplay would be better which mainly applies to Melee/PM (and 64?). For Brawl and Smash 4 I don't see it being better.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
You can actually, but what surprised me is that you can't turn around Egg Toss in Melee, so the only way to use it the other direction would be a DJ. Didn't know there were moves that can't be turned around.

Shiri

Smash Chump
So, you can actually grab the edge backwards in Melee with Egg Toss (it's why sliding egg toss works to grab the edge if you want a quick edge grab and an egg at the same time). It wasn't Fumi at first (even though he picked it up and used it to GREAT effect later), but there was another Yoshi that D1 and I scouted from Japan that could do this. It's extremely difficult to do and we ended up calling it a forbidden edgeguarding technique because it was so incredibly powerful if you could aim the eggs, but carried infinite risk.

I should go back and do some research and see if I can find the dude that started really nailing those. So scary to watch. It'll break your hands, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom