• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Do you know my last name?
Maybe I can restore it.

Thanks and sorry. lul

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's DA and Neutral B that has a bit more lag on it but honestly that's not saying much, those're are such miniscule nerfs that they might as well not have added it in at all.
Either way you need to calm down on the whole death threat thing, cause that's ridiculous and silly.
I've had bad experiences with sites like Tumblr and 4chan before. And on the latter, I'd never even visited that site for a split second; they found me. (And it wasn't even /b/. It was /v/.)

So forgive me if I assume humanity is guilty until proven innocent.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Tumblr and 4chan
Stopped reading there.
Honestly tumblr is full of SJW and the only thing you should ever do on that site is look at art and leave, never get in a discussion with tumblr.

As for 4chan, you should literally never take anything they say seriously. Especially /v/ since that place is nothing but a ****hole full of memes since early 09 it turned into even more ****.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Funny video, but too long. Anyways, that's exactly why I don't do social media.

As for Yoshi, I notice a little more ending lag on his down air but his neutral B seems about the same to me. Either way, these are miniscule nerfs. Overall, I'd say that Yoshi got an indirect buff since he stayed relatively the same in light of larger nerfs to other characters.

Side note, I'm finally getting good at consistently throwing Yoshi's egg straight up. I'm not sure why they made it a little more difficult to do. Maybe it's the circle pad that makes it harder.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you've got an attitude, huh? You also make a lot of assumptions. I guess I should be calling you an old man?

8 minutes was too long in this case because they basically kept repeating what they said in the first minute or two, albeit in less clever ways. If I was watching a movie I would think 8 minutes was way too short. Long and short are relative terms.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Glad I could help.
But seriously, I do hope more than just 1 or 3 Yoshi's try to help improve the metagame and even upload videos in the future since Brawl's most successful Yoshi's were Polt and Delta only for awhile.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
@ Scatz Scatz I always forget you guys can carry a taser around for self defense, Aus laws ban anything that could be used as a weapon and even acts of self defense you can still be charged for. >_>

Anyway Saik, death threats can be very intimidating, but almost always they're only that. For intimidation. If you let them see it phases you they'll know to take advantage of this and do it again.
Anyone who sends a death threat, especially over a video game are truly pathetic. They're also cowardly, and to put it blunty...stupid. You shouldn't let yourself feel threatened because of playing a video game.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated, but a little something to lighten the mood courtesy of the Funny Picture Thread...

I guess he had it coming, I mean he's entirely naked except for the boots :p

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
@ Nikes Nikes , That's nothing. Americans can carry firearms assuming they have a conceal and carry license, which is easy to obtain.

And that pic, lol. It's probably because Yoshi so filthy in Smash 4. ;)

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Unrelated, but a little something to lighten the mood courtesy of the Funny Picture Thread...

I guess he had it coming, I mean he's entirely naked except for the boots :p
And the saddle. :p Are the other amiibos rated 17+ too?
Also, ending lag on dash attack is horrible.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I agree. The slight lag added to neutral B and D air barely change anything, but the lag on the end of the dash attack is just annoying.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I had the most frustrating night on For Glory. I usually get mostly smooth matches but tonight the slight input lag was a nuisance, as is the ending lag on Yoshi's DA. That nerf is really starting to bug me.

Aside from that, I continue to lose to players that can evade or defend my every attack. Rolling is just stupid in this game. If there is one thing that I want nerfed, it's the insane amount of invincibility on rolls. They are so hard to punish. Couple that with multiple air dodges, and if someone wants to run out the clock and make you chase them...I wanted to throw my 3DS.

So how do you guys approach with Yoshi? I keep getting punished by people that are playing really defensively. For instance, they will spam a projectile, forcing me to approach in the air. I'll come at them with an air attack and they will block and punish or just do a quick roll. It's frustrating and I want to learn how to beat it.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If they play defensively, spam their **** out of them with eggs.
They have to approach then, cause our eggs are the No.1 asshole projectile in this situation.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Slice has the right idea. If they're harassing you with projectiles, then you can either start throwing eggs out of shield or start throwing them from the air, outside of the opponent's controlled space.

As for dealing with players who excessively roll, it's more about punishing them for their terrible decision making. Players of this sort are very easy to bully because they will quickly jump ship to bad habits when put in certain situations. One of the most common habits happens to be reacting to everything with a dodge roll. So, to start scouting for scrubs players who like to roll behind you, throw out a single jab at dodge roll range and see what they do. You can react to the dodge roll with either a SH Nair, B-reversed DownB, or Dsmash almost every time (I typically use Dtilt with Falco because it's quick, hits behind him, and is potentially his best combo starter). Once you start getting the hang of predicting those rolls then Fsmash becomes extremely reliable in getting early kills and damage racking with a move where staling it isn't the end of the world.

As for the players whose habits include performing a retreating dodge roll after whiffing a move or having their move blocked, Yoshi can pretty much dash attack these fools all day.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Something I've had to learn for this game is that there are two ways to deal with the great rolls in this game.

1] Punishing rolls regularly by coaxing it out. This is along the lines of what Airborne posted. Create a scenario where someone rolls due to habit and use this expectation to put out some really meaty attacks (so you don't have to guess at the vulnerability window) in order to punish.

2] Punishing the attacks used after rolls. I've never had to do this in Smash before, but that's because outside of Brawl Lucario, rolls have never really been this good universally. Rolling can sometimes be difficult to punish on reaction, depending on your skill and on the character you pick. Sometimes even if you have a good idea that it's coming (but don't know 100% for sure), it can still be hard to punish the roll. What I've started doing in situations like these is when I feel like I don't have a super solid bead on the roll, I will not try to punish it, but rather punish whatever the opponent presses after the roll. The main weakness to this strategy is that you're put into a bit more of a guessing situation because sometimes people will just do really dumb things. Things like people rolling a tilt and then using down smash as if it would be a punish, but if you spot dodged in an attempt to evade the more likely roll>grab or roll>tilt, then the down smash would stuff that spot dodge.

At the end of the day, you have to punish the rolls you know are coming very hard and with the ones you don't exactly have a bead on, you can opt to take the roll and then punish the offense afterward. A final note that I have found very helpful is that while spacing out your opponent on the ground is usually a very good idea, you also need to be mindful of the distance of your opponent's roll. If you have especially long tilts or jabs and your opponent has a very long roll, spacing out to the absolute max can make the ending point on their roll very ambiguous and can make punishing difficult on reaction. If someone has a super long roll, close the distance just a tad so you can know if they'll end up in front of or behind you for certain. One of the reasons I think Yoshi's ground game isn't very very strong this time around is because spacing out his tilts is much riskier in this game when considering their recovery and considering that the max spacing his Yoshi's tilts comes very close to the distance of normal characters' rolls.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
IF YOU USE YOSHI, YOU GET KILLED IN REAL LIFE

THE NEW SMASH META

P.S. Ten years on SWF, Shiri! The ****!

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
*checks social thread* "good stuff on punishing rolling habits...yep...yep..." *keeps reading on, suddenly theres talk about dieing irl and chain mail* .~.
*slowly backs away*

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Not sure what just became of this tread, lol. As for punishing rolls, I generally know what I need to do, but that invincibility is just ridiculous. Baiting certain attacks is more reliable than baiting rolls, in my experience at least. Sometimes I chase their rolls, whiff an attack, and I get punished! But good advice, I appreciate the well thought out answers and will try to improve my game in this area.

As for projectiles and countering with eggs to force an approach, I feel like this doesn't work against Fox. His laser is so fast and good at racking up damage I feel like I need to close the distance ASAP. And then I get grabbed or something. Good Fox players really put the hurt on me.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Smash 4 is now in my hands.
I won the tournament my gamestop had and got the game half off. Not playing mine tonight, playing on a friend's but just add SinisterSlush I believe if you want to play me, be sure to quote tho so I know who is adding me.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Smash 4 is now in my hands.
I won the tournament my gamestop had and got the game half off. Not playing mine tonight, playing on a friend's but just add SinisterSlush I believe if you want to play me, be sure to quote tho so I know who is adding me.
I've gotta wait a whole week >_< Glad you're finally playing it though, I'll add you when I get home. Which reminds me that I need to get a LAN adapter which I've never seen in stores.

Shiri

Smash Chump
P.S. Ten years on SWF, Shiri! The ****!
Keep it down. Not terribly proud of this.

Grandpa Shiri =0
If only. What's really going to show my age is when I re-record Project YOSHI in HD. x_x

P.S. - Re:Smash4, people used to just dump on the WiiU all the time but the instant Smash gets announced, a brotha can't get a cheap WiiU for his life I mean c'mon fam you was just taking a bona fide grade A sh*t on this console not like two days ago dam

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I got the game along with three amiibo and a new GCN controller, BUT NO ONE HAS THE ADAPTER! I have to use the pro controller for a week. Not happy about that.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Finally got smash 4 wii u and loving it. Yoshi looks sooooo good in HD. If anyone ever wants to play add me and we will!

NNID:Badkarma202

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Kinda longish post.
I won the gamestop tournament and got smash 4 half off. But was kinda hesitant on Yoshi amiibo cause wanna save money and can't get GCN adapter yet. Still playing with friends since Thursday/leeching off their GCN adapter.

Slice, Villager is dumb. We can nair slingshot sometiems but holy crap is it obnoxious. I think I also found that our Bair break Rockets without us getting hurt, maybe.

Also my previous prediction of Sonic being dumb is still true, but never felt like the people who said he's insanely broken like the people in the competitive discussion thread were right.
I now believe them.
I honestly think now that people have a more decent grasp for their character Yoshi doesn't feel top tier. Especially with everyone else able to just Bthrow to kill us early at like 90+% lol

NNID: SinisterSlush
Not home yet and stuck here till Sunday, but even if I ever get the chance to turn my WiiU on, I still have to beat WWHD 100% before I can touch Smash4 along with needing the adapter (gamestop near me doesn't have them yet, only for the people who preordered), either way Prime and some others played on my wii u and unlocked all the characters and a stage or two, so I'm kinda set.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
There are some moves that can break the rocket safely.
Especially Dash Attacking him while he's spawning it was pretty effective in 1.0.3.
I doubt it still is though...

Top Bottom