• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match Up

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Hi all,

I know it's some time away before the Yoshi Matchup gets discussed, but i'm going to a big tournament on the 8th May and a friend is going to be there. I'm hoping to actually go even with/ beat him when we meet in person but i'm really struggling with his main: Yoshi

My problem is that I just get completely walled out by his eggs and aerials. Even when I manage to get a grab or something to start a combo I just get hit by a frame 3 Nair and then eat a combo myself.

If he goes for a Fair into the ground, he seems to be able to just turn around and get a grab before i'm able to drop my shield. If I roll I still get grabbed anyway.

Then when i'm getting combo'd I can't seem to air dodge anything or even DI out of anything. If I move out the combo I just get read really hard. As i've said before, if I use my shield, I get grabbed and killed. The matches are ending with me only being able to take 1 stock and maybe about 50% damage.

I just really don't understand how to play the Matchup and I can't see how to get through anything that Yoshi does because there just seems to be so much going on.

Help a desperate Pikachu overcome his phobia of the reptile and make that Dinosaur extinct again!

...... Please? :(

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
My problem is that I just get completely walled out by his eggs and aerials. Even when I manage to get a grab or something to start a combo I just get hit by a frame 3 Nair and then eat a combo myself.
You have to play pretty patiently against Yoshi in the neutral--a quality Yoshi has tons of control over where his eggs go, and Yoshi will be aiming to cut off your SH Fair route as Yoshi approaches himself. The thing is, Yoshi isn't *that* good at landing, so if he's going into the air often to toss eggs, you should try to catch him as he's landing. Yoshi really doesn't have any aerials to contest a well-spaced Fair, and many of them will land with an attack, so you can often just hold shield wherever they land and get the shieldgrab or go for OoS Nair.

As for the 3-frame Yoshi Nair... you have to stop getting hit by it. Just like the Plumber Bros. matchup, Pika has to recognize which opponents have a strong string-breaker, and either go for guaranteed combos only, or intentionally drop out of Nair's range and punish it with a Fair or Uair. This probably will require a lot of time in the lab, though--you simply have to grind out combos with a friend and figure out the percent ranges where strings are guaranteed, and when you have to drop them.
If he goes for a Fair into the ground, he seems to be able to just turn around and get a grab before i'm able to drop my shield. If I roll I still get grabbed anyway.
Have you been using OoS Nair/Fair/Bair/Dair? Yoshi's grab is kind of slow, so even though his Fair has a bit of shield stun on it, you really shouldn't be getting caught by the followup grab. Either jump directly out of your shield (no shield drop) or contest the Fair as Yoshi approaches with Uair or Utilt.

Top Bottom