• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi mains are actually more rare than other characters mains?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Is this really true?
If it is,what is the reason?

I am with this doubt on my head for a long time,also,I heard that some persons think that Yoshi is a hard character to learn to play,then they give up on learning how to play him quickly...

Or maybe,this only happens on the competitive scene?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Its true sadly.
Yoshi has one of the highest learning curves in the game, and subpar pay off. Yoshi mainers probably won't play him if they wern't yoshi fans. Despite the small amount of rep most players that have stuck with him are pretty good.

I like him being under repped though. Ya get more wins out of character unfamiliarity.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The learning curve isn't even that high.

He's actually very easy to play and has a very linear gameplan in most of his matchups.

He's just not easy to win with.

Regardless of that, he also has nothing that's really abusable and easy, both at the same time. He's got some tools that are either/or, but none that fit both, which is what tends to draw tournament players to a character.

His toolbox has expanded over the years, but he doesn't have that tide-turning juice that you really need to take games.

scrub_nugget

Smash Apprentice
His learning curve is pretty meh. I've always thought most yoshi mains said it's higher than it is. But he has good rep...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The samus boards have been dead for months if that tells you anything.
Well...

I did not made this question thinking about the characters boards,but looks like that all characters but Yoshi,has at least 500 threads,and Yoshi has less than 50 lol.

Scatz

Smash Champion
We had the skype chat, which compressed our number of threads. Also, throughout 2009-2010, Yoshi's game was stagnant (refining old techs) since I was the only person developing DR during that time. DR has been his only new tech since.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I´m so happy by knowing that I was wrong.

Yoshi mains united!!

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Hmm... PT mains are pretty rare... And our learning curve is no joke either.

but without a doubt, Yoshi is pretty high up there in terms of his learning curve and lack of players.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
:yoshi: The learning curve isn't even that high.

He's actually very easy to play and has a very linear gameplan in most of his matchups.

He's just not easy to win with.

Regardless of that, he also has nothing that's really abusable and easy, both at the same time. He's got some tools that are either/or, but none that fit both, which is what tends to draw tournament players to a character.

His toolbox has expanded over the years, but he doesn't have that tide-turning juice that you really need to take games.
This.

The learning curve mainly deals with learning how to use his less linear options in ways that are actually effective. But basic Yoshi is really easy to play, lol. Egg, Pivot Grab, Usmash for days.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, the people who use Yoshi know how to use Yoshi, a lot of Yoshi's take on top players and preform well, he's got a pretty rounded arsenal, I may just be a fan of using each move once a game or so, but I certainly feel that all of his moves do come in handy.

I'm pretty excited to see what happens to him in SSB4, he only needs some minor tweaks to be a solid character.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think about Yoshi having the ability to grab the ledge with his tongue,would be amazing...

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I main Mr. O' Donnell, but Yoshi is a secondary. Everybody underestimates him, but he's surprisingly combo-happy and has a pretty solid edgeguard game. Then again, I don't play professionals and would likely get stomped as Yoshi there. Against more casual opponents, I fair well with him. Even mastered his short hop fair spike, although a skilled player can get around it. He has plenty of love from me at least.

Top Bottom