• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi in Ultimate Information Thread (WIP)

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
G Goldfire35 I personally save his fair for late percents, but I truly believe his back air is vastly superior in neutral. Along with short hop rar up air. New tech: https://youtu.be/v1kjQtMaPkE could lead to some interesting ideas for Yoshi. I will lab and see what I can find.

PlasmicOcean

Smash Rookie
I can say being a Yoshi main in this game he is a bit underrated. Most of the points made are very true indeed. His combos are there but whenever I want to throw out a forward air I can never angle it downward to meteor instead of hitting my opponent forward thus allowing him to recover which may lead to me losing a stock.

Someone help out a Yoshi main here.

His Up-air is broken I will agree and I only have had the game for two weeks.
Fair's spike hitbox is definitely in a different position from Smash 4, but since we don't have hitbox data/visualizations for this game yet we don't know exactly where it is and have to figure it out ourselves through trial and error. My best guess atm is that the spike hitbox was moved from Yoshi's nose to his eyes, what this means is that fair seems to: hit higher up and closer to Yoshi at the start of the move, and hit higher up and further away from Yoshi during the middle and ending frames of the move. It's a slight change, but you can defnitely feel the difference if you're used to spacing Smash 4 fair spike, if you want an idea of what this might look like try comparing the move frame by frame in training mode in Ultimate to the Smash 4 move viewer.

Why are you losing stocks to hitting sour fair instead of the sweetspot though? Sour fair is still a solid move to edgegaurd with, and Yoshi's recovery is plenty fast enough to reset back to ledge/stage and go for another edgeguard attempt after landing it, even if you trade with a move most of the time.

As for him being underrated, I think people are starting to come around, some top players like Esam and Zero talked pretty highly of him recently, which tends to have a pretty big impact on the general consensus. Personally, the more I play him the better he feels, and my opinion of him was already quite high to begin with, even his bad matchups in 4 like sword characters and characters with really strong defensive gameplans that don't lose to egg throw and weaving/spacing around stuff don't feel that bad to me in this game, and his advantage state is absolutely busted, which plays into a lot of those characters' weaknesses.

G Goldfire35 I personally save his fair for late percents, but I truly believe his back air is vastly superior in neutral. Along with short hop rar up air. New tech: https://youtu.be/v1kjQtMaPkE could lead to some interesting ideas for Yoshi. I will lab and see what I can find.
Yeah, I doubt it'll lead into anything too crazy for Yoshi, but being able to rar with full momentum earlier is definitely nice, probably most useful at low % where bair 3 combos into stuff, and high % where it kills, I'm sure it's not bad at mid %, but there are defintely other options with a lot more reward around there.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Updating the OP of ultimate knowledge, I present Yoshi's ledgegrab windows here so that in case somehow Nintendo thinks to reduce them for any reason? We'll have data for 2.0.0 now.

Ledgegrab data
NAir: 61>
FAir: 68>
BAir: 65>
UAir: 48>
DAir: 67>
Airdodge: 60>

Top Bottom