• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Frame Data & Combos

Videocatbox

Smash Rookie
I have compiled my findings of Yoshi's frame data and combos which I have found. I will post each move's active frames along with their First Actionable Frame (FAF). In addition, many combos are included. Any input or questions are welcome as I want the Yoshi Meta to grow since this character is thought to have been nerfed by many yet it seems more like buffs overall.

FAF = YELLOW
ACTIVE FRAMES = GREEN
LANDING LAG = RED

GROUND MOVES:

Jab 1 : 3 FAF 18
Jab 2 : 18 FAF 35
Ftilt : 5 FAF 30
Utilt : 8-15 FAF 32
Dtilt : 8-9 FAF 24
Fsmash : 14-15 FAF 53
Usmash : 11-14 FAF 47
Dsmash : 7, 22
FAF 50

AERIAL MOVES:

Nair : 3-26 FAF 45
Fair : 16-20 FAF 44
Bair : 11,14,18 FAF 56
Uair : 5-6 FAF 37
Dair : 16-38
FAF 57

LANDING LAG:

Nair : 8 Can autocancel out of Shorthop
Fair : 13
Bair : 12
Uair : 9 Can autocancel out of Shorthop
Dair : 18
Yoshi Bomb : 40

SPECIALS:

Egg Lay : 19-21 FAF 42
Egg Roll : 31 (Initial Hitbox Active Frame) - Approximately 225 (Max duration of move tested was frame 240 but hitbox ends before this)
Egg Throw : 16-62 FAF 56
Yoshi Bomb Grounded : 7, 28-Landing FAF 40 (The move stays active until it lands on a surface)
Yoshi Bomb Aerial : 19-Landing FAF 40
Yoshi Bomb Stars : 4-12 FAF 40

GRABS & THROWS:
Standing Grab : 14-20 FAF 49
Dash Grab : 17-23 FAF 57
Pivot Grab : 17-20? FAF 52
Fthrow : 15 FAF 40
Bthrow : 20 FAF 44
Uthrow : 25 FAF 51
Dthrow : 13 FAF 44

COMBOS:
Low% (0-40)

Jab1 -> Jab2
Ftilt -> Utilt -> Uair/Nair
Ftilt -> Ftilt -> Uair/Nair
Uair(Landing) -> Ftilt -> Uair/Nair
Uair(Landing) -> Utilt -> Uair/Nair
Uair(Landing) -> Jab1 -> Jab2
Uair(Landing) -> Dtilt
Bair(Landing) -> Ftilt -> Utilt -> Uair/Nair
Nair -> Dtilt
Nair -> Jab1 -> Jab2
Utilt -> Uair/Nair
Utilt -> Usmash

Mid% (40-80)

Jab1 -> ftilt -> uair
Jab1 -> dtilt
Uair(Landing) -> Dair
Uair(Landing) -> Uair
Nair -> ftilt -> Uair
Nair -> Dsmash
Nair -> Usmash
Nair -> Dash Attack
Nair -> Jab1 -> Jab2
Nair -> Jab1 -> ftilt -> Nair/Uair/Dair
Nair -> Jab1 ->Dtilt
Bair(Landing) -> ftilt -> Uair/Nair
Bair(Landing) -> up angled Fsmash
Ftilt -> Uair
Utilt -> Bair/Uair/Nair

HIGH% (80-120)

Jab1 -> ftilt -> Uair
Jab1 -> dtilt
Jab1 -> Dsmash
Jab1 -> Buffered Yoshi Bomb
Uair (Landing) -> Uair
Bair(Landing) -> utilt -> Uair
Bair(Landing) -> Uair ->Nair
Bair(Landing) -> Usmash
Bair(Landing) -> Bair
Egg Toss -> any aerial/Egg Lay/Usmash
Ftilt -> Buffered Double Jump Uair
Fair(Spike) -> Uair

Videocatbox

Smash Rookie
Thank you for your work, think Yikarur has done most or all of these already outside of combos.
https://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-in-ultimate-information-thread-wip.463097/

Can compare here or tag Yika yourself to compare or discuss future frame data junk.
I was not aware of Yika's work. If there are discrepancies, I would rely on his/hers as mine was done in training mode with the frame settings so some of them may not be frame perfect. The combos are registered as true though.

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
Just finished a demonstration and super brief analysis of a bunch of kill combos:
Egg -> Fair Spike -> Uair: Fair's spike can be teched, but Uair is your best followup if they miss it.

Egg -> Fair & Egg -> Uair: Both of these are excellent kill combos, pick Fair or Uair based on your spacing.

Bair -> Bair: A second Bair is a pretty good followup after Bair if you're not confident that you can input or land an Fsmash. Very good on narrow stages like WarioWare.

Jab1-> Dsmash: I don't recommend this one at all, jab to downB is much more forgiving unless you staled it like a true Wi-Fi warrior.

Bair -> Usmash: Excellent kill combo if you're on a platform or have a low ceiling. Make sure you land BEFORE the second hit of Bair so you can hit small characters.

Jab1 -> DownB: The new version of Yoshi's old jab1 to upsmash. It's extremely reliable thanks to Ultimate's buffer. Use it.

Bair -> Reversed DownB: Only use this one if upsmash is stale. It's much harder to use and only killed pikachu 1% sooner.

Bair -> Utilt -> Uair: This is your best option if Fsmash won't get the kill. You can get away with two hits of Bair, so it's reliable against lightweights.

Bair -> Fsmash: The best of the best. Very easy to pull off and kills very early if you're anywhere near a horizontal blast zone.

I think we can add two hits of Bair -> reversed DownB to the list.

Last edited:

Videocatbox

Smash Rookie
Just finished a demonstration and super brief analysis of a bunch of kill combos:
Egg -> Fair Spike -> Uair: Fair's spike can be teched, but Uair is your best followup if they miss it.

Egg -> Fair & Egg -> Uair: Both of these are excellent kill combos, pick Fair or Uair based on your spacing.

Bair -> Bair: A second Bair is a pretty good followup after Bair if you're not confident that you can input or land an Fsmash. Very good on narrow stages like WarioWare.

Jab1-> Dsmash: I don't recommend this one at all, jab to downB is much more forgiving unless you staled it like a true Wi-Fi warrior.

Bair -> Usmash: Excellent kill combo if you're on a platform or have a low ceiling. Make sure you land BEFORE the second hit of Bair so you can hit small characters.

Jab1 -> Usmash: The new version of Yoshi's old jab1 to upsmash. It's extremely reliable thanks to Ultimate's buffer. Use it.

Bair -> Reversed DownB: Only use this one if upsmash is stale. It's much harder to use and only killed pikachu 1% sooner.

Bair -> Utilt -> Uair: This is your best option if Fsmash won't get the kill. You can get away with two hits of Bair, so it's reliable against lightweights.

Bair -> Fsmash: The best of the best. Very easy to pull off and kills very early if you're anywhere near a horizontal blast zone.

I think we can add two hits of Bair -> reversed DownB to the list.
The landing Bair and Egg Toss seem to be the best tools to get kill combos. Jab 1 -> Dsmash I can see being good at the ledge because of Dsmash having extremely good horizontal trajectory. It can lead to edge guards.
I think Bair -> Usmash is my favorite because it's an extremely good reason to not stale Usmash and rely on Yoshi's other tools.
Dtilt seems bad but I can see it leading to tech chase scenarios because of its low endlag.

karterfreak

Smash Cadet
Some additional combos from 0% are bair -> dair and bair -> bair -> utilt -> uair -> uair -> uair, though the longer combo is likely DIable as the utilt and second uair connections are pretty tight. bair also combos into Fsmash and Usmash at any %, though for higher %'s you need to hit the ground before the third hit of bair connects to confirm the smash.

Vid of the longer combo
https://twitter.com/karterfreak/status/1075201919004618752

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I messed around with Yoshi in training yesterday. Was by myself so idk if these are really combos, but I feel these were worth mentioning if anyone wants to test them for real

Upair(landing facing away from opponent)> reverse down special

and

Upair (landing)> rising dair

both registered on the combo counter and worked on multiple characters. Seeing that upair has linear knockback, I figure theres no way to di out of them, so they might actually be true maybe?

Upair>dair killed DK at 91% on center stage FD, upair>reverse down special didn't kill unfortunately and I wanna say worked in the 60%s

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
both registered on the combo counter and worked on multiple characters. Seeing that upair has linear knockback, I figure theres no way to di out of them, so they might actually be true maybe?

Upair>dair killed DK at 91% on center stage FD, upair>reverse down special didn't kill unfortunately and I wanna say worked in the 60%s
I tried upair -> dair while using my foot for DI, and you definitely need to chase. You can actually see the enemy's launch angle before you go for the Dair, so I'd like to think it's reactable. I would need a 2nd person to be sure.

Uair -> Dair does FORTY-EIGHT damage, so this might actually be a great combo in the mid %s. We could start seeing 90%+ off of only a combo and a read into a second combo.

Last edited:

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
So it looks like Yoshi has a 0 to death on Fox if he misses a crucial window of DI. If he does DI between Ftilt and Utilt, it works with two hits of bair at 3-4%. I tested it spamming airdodge with my foot, and it looks like the Uair combo isn't just training mode jank.

Not the most useful 0 to death ever, but still pretty nuts.

Last edited:

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I've been labbing jab locks as of late. I do not have exact percentages, but i will update when I get the time.

○Short hop Dair at 0% usually forces an opportunity. Typically sends your opponent in front of Yoshi.
○Down tilt around low percents
○Sweetspot Nair around mid percents

•These work on fast fallers especially
•Yoshi can dash cancel into a single jab ×2
•New mechanics allow your opponent to roll when in a lock, so jab locks towards the edge of the stage work best for follow ups:
-I personally like following these with a rar short hop which allows you to read their option selection. You could: falling bair(first 2 hits) > forward smash; forward air > up air/up smash; egg lay them offstage if they are at the edge; or just down air to rack percent. Any other ideas?

*UPDATE*
Down tilt sends opponents into tumble at late percents as well, making tech reads kill options.

Last edited:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
There's a window at low% where you can do dthrow into 3x uair if they don't DI the dthrow correctly. I tried in training against a fastfaller and it worked from about 15% to 25%

Top Bottom