• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Discussion

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
LINK TO OLD YOSHI DISCUSSION PAGE: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248028

LINK TO DANDAN'S YOSHI TECHNIQUES VID:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpZY7WN4Uo&fmt=22
more info on this project:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11371750#post11371750

Yoshi is a pretty fastfalling character who relies on DJC aerials to do most of his fighting.

-Double Jump Cancel (DJC): do an areal immediately after your double jump, thereby cancelling a lot of the lag and greatly extending it's range. This, obviously, cancels the jump, so beware of stupid deaths. Ness is the only other character who can DJC, unlike Ness Yoshi's DJCs are a lot slower and have their own individual timings.

-Double Jump Counter Cancel (DJCC): refers to when you djc an attack (most commonly for this case seems to be nair) and you get hit as the attack starts. You take the hit, but because of yoshi's superarmor you dont get any knockback and your own attack comes through immediately after theirs, hitting them.

-Double Jump Landing (DJL): Yoshi's double jump actually moves him down just a little bit, which means if you jump just over a platform and double jump, he will simply land on the platform. Useful for continuing combo with utilt or usmash, demonstrated here by Isai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsifUsJQBc8

-Recovery: yoshi's recovery can be problamatic, his upB gives no lift. His double jump is big, but often not enough. When he goes into his double jump, his head and feet are partially invincible until it ends or he attacks, hence at <100% you can effectively just take an edge guard hit w/o knock back. If you do, you can immediately do your own attack, which can be quite useful. All moves have a certain damage % at which they ignore this double jump partial invincibility, called "Super Armor", depending on their power. Grabs, including Falcon's upB, totally ignore SuperArmor.

-If you are at too high percent to ignore knock back totally, theres a good chance that you can take the hit and only a little bit of knock back, almost a negligible amount, but just enough to put you past ledgegrab range. If so, you can downB immediately after the hit in order to still grab the ledge and/or hit them as well. This is likely to prevent not being able to grab the ledge due to hitstun. Its a sweetspot similar to ness's downB ledgegrab

-SuperArmor combo escape: mashing jump while in a combo can get you out, or in some cases neutralize the knockback of a strong attack like Luigi's upB. Pros can use SuperArmor to survive at very high percentages.

-Parry: a yoshi "parry" refers to a yoshi-specific shield trick where you tap the shield button, producing no shield animation at all but getting you 4 frames of invincibility. Generally used vs projectiles. Very hard to time consistently. You can use a move "out of parry" as you could out of shield, for example parry and then immediately do an Usmash. You cant grab a parry the way you can a shielding yoshi, its invincibility frames not normal shield.

-Shield Breaks: yoshi has a lot. Basic ones are rising Dair into platform shielder, or djc fair/bair - djc nair - djc nair - usmash (if behind you) or dsmash (if in front of you).

-DJC timings:

Nair: fast. beware making the move stale makes it useless for shield breaks.

Bair: slower, commonly used to jump forward a bit then djc bair backwards into them (presumably as they stand up or leave shield).

Fair: slower. Interestingly, if you fair while next to someone ledgehogging you it won't hit, but if you do it while a bit above them (still ledgehogged) it will, and spike them, though you won't have time to grab the ledge afterwards.

Dair: depends, generally slower. Down/Left or Down/Right are the best ways to DI out of Yoshi's dair. max damage 56%

Uair: depends, generally faster. DJC uair is mainly useful for chains vs heavies. Even without zcancel this move will cancel it's self noticebly higher than other areals above the ground.

dandan

Smash Lord
you should mention that you can parry using all the moves you can do from sheild, including jump usmash and grab.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
You should mention that, at certain percents where you are unsure if you can successfully take the hit while recovering and still make it back to the ledge, you can downb directly after you are attacked.

This is very useful in many situations.

1. If you time it right you can use your armor out of a combo and downb them
2. If you are hit with a strong attack just as you are about to grab the ledge, the super armor might wear off temporarily and may make you slip a little down the wall a slight bit preventing you from grabbing the ledge and falling to your doom. In this case, after taking the hit downb so you will be able to:
A - go straight into a ledge catching without the risk of the hitstun preventing you from grabbing the ledge
B - have a greater range for a sweetspot (since his downb does raise yoshi up a slight fraction)
3. It can often hit edgeuarders who are careless near the edge which can add some extra damage while still grabing the ledge.

All in all, this technique is much safer and efficent if hit closer to the ledge.

This obviously does not work when
A- you are attacked far offstage, where your downb would obviously prevent you from any horizontal movment
B - generally high up in the air because it gives yoshi a set, straight path to travel which is fatal for yoshi when intercepted.

Going on that note, talk about how a down b edgeguard can be a smart choice against some characters and talk about when to use that.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
Ill post a guide here in a few days, change your post to that :p
Yea. Thanks. Great. I guess this is what i get for trying to contribute something to the community. :ohwell:

you should mention that you can parry using all the moves you can do from sheild, including jump usmash and grab.
how exactly does this work? you can parry with just an Usmash, no z button used at all? I've heard of something like this but I'm not sure

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yea. Thanks. Great. I guess this is what i get for trying to contribute something to the community. :ohwell:
Koro wasn't insulting you; he's got an actual guide that he's been writing for a while. He knows a lot about Yoshi, etc. etc.

We all appreciate you making your little post, and I'm sure he didn't mean any harm. But we need something a little more in-depth here.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
More depth, organisation into headings, and matchup analysis are some things I would recommend to any guide writer

Also D-Air has 56% damage, not 66%.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
More depth, organisation into headings, and matchup analysis are some things I would recommend to any guide writer

Also D-Air has 56% damage, not 66%.
my fault, I have him the wrong info on that

on a separate note, which way should you DI yoshi dair?

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
right then, fair enough

I was planning on expanding this as more people posted as cheeseball said but i see that isn't necessary

We all appreciate you making your little post, and I'm sure he didn't mean any harm. But we need something a little more in-depth here.
Have you read the first posts for the Weegee/Ness pages? because thats what I saw.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
when you do an op for a potentially important thread you don't try for the bare minimum that has been established, you try to match the best ones

atm that's probably my pretty colour coded link one, but im sure the other guides will get better because better players will write them

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
well it is a Drill. I DI all drills down and right or down and left. Makes it harder to combo out of. Same for Mario's TornaDIo.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
when you do an op for a potentially important thread you don't try for the bare minimum that has been established, you try to match the best ones

atm that's probably my pretty colour coded link one, but im sure the other guides will get better because better players will write them
My point there was that I was trying to make something usable instead of just a "XXX sucks, discuss" style post, my plan was to incorporate what people said as they posted into my first post, as i have done so far. Your guide is quite nice, it was one of the few I didn't read before posting :ohwell:

I understand what you're saying, and if Koro isn't going to be done with his guide for a while I'll go back to any older Yoshi posts i can find and really turn this into a, ah, pretty color coded guide

dandan

Smash Lord

TANK64

Smash Lord
Question to the other Yoshi players out there.
Do any of you use his second jump landing thing to move around on platforms or continue combos.?
I usually do it on dreamland a lot, mostly to land an up-smash I think will kill.
I don't TRY to use it a lot, but since I learned to do it consistently, opportunities just seem to come up.
Any thoughts? Any strange methods you would like to share?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Question to the other Yoshi players out there.
Do any of you use his second jump landing thing to move around on platforms or continue combos.?
I usually do it on dreamland a lot, mostly to land an up-smash I think will kill.
I don't TRY to use it a lot, but since I learned to do it consistently, opportunities just seem to come up.
Any thoughts? Any strange methods you would like to share?
Wow, I never thought about actually using that to get an usmash off on a higher platform, thanks for the idea. It always used to annoy me when I did it on accident trying the get high in the air for a uair.

Iv been practicing it for like 20 minutes and I can already do it like 95% of the time. I am just wondering if you have an situations where this is actually a combo, tank? I tried simple utilts on other characters and it seems there is not enough time to get up there.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Wow, I never thought about actually using that to get an usmash off on a higher platform, thanks for the idea. It always used to annoy me when I did it on accident trying the get high in the air for a uair.

Iv been practicing it for like 20 minutes and I can already do it like 95% of the time. I am just wondering if you have an situations where this is actually a combo, tank? I tried simple utilts on other characters and it seems there is not enough time to get up there.
How do you do this?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I think it's taking advantage of Yoshi (and Ness's) double jump property where if he double jumps too close to the ground, or in this case the ledge, it is canceled even without an attack. I had it listed as "DJC2" (and only focused on Ness), but foolishly removed it, thinking it wasn't useful enough, since Ant-d's video and comments made it seem that way. Totally forgot about its usefulness in getting to ledges faster. Looks like a 6th ed. update is inevitable >_>

A combo was just posted using it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyejizApJs&feature=sub

dandan

Smash Lord
hold back while you are doing the second jump to stop all vertical movement if you are close to the ground.
if you djc while holding back, you will see you will not leave the ground and only make the sound, so when you jump, when you are near the platfrom, jump again and hold back to auto land.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, actually it does remind one of wavelanding.

Another thing like that is using Fox's reflector.

The jumps...they must be pruned to perfection!

Edit:
@dandan, Yoshi doesn't need to hold backwards, at least not when starting from a standing position.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
the mechanics behind it, is that yoshis second jump dips down a little bit before rising up. Simply use your second jump when you right above a platform and it will land you there. It is useful for some combos as posted ^^.

it is not the same concept as with ness because ness's second jump does not actually move down. However if you cancel the second jump animation at a certain point you do get a ness specific backwards djc which is very effective.

Yoshi's djc makes stuff like this possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFy_PGCRymU

he is not canceling his jump with an arial, his second jump just naturally puts yoshi back on the ground if done fast enough.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Thanks. :) Glad I could help.

iirc you can ftilt to jump ftilt on higher %
I like just doing uptilt to ftilt for lulz.

So it's like wavelanding.
Yes! That's exactly how I use it, and think of it. Only the slide is limited (And you do not have to angle it at all). I would advise all Yoshi players to get this consistent. Once you don't really have to think of it, then this becomes another option available to them/us. Like I said, I think it is legitlly useful on Dreamland.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Actually Ness does dip down if you hold backwards.

It allows for his analogue of the DJC2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBh9HkRsGA&feature=related

No aerials required. His is just harder and more limited.
i did not know this, it seems near impossible to do w/o tas tho.

I can do the yoshi one fairly ez

edit: does anyone know any good channels/vids for high level yoshis?

I need to watch some matches.

also just as a general question, I feel like my yoshi is being too defensive and just running away and djcing bairs fairs into nair chains or utilt. this is working fine, but I cant seem to get a solid approach down. whenevr I try being more agressive, someone interupts my djc and i fall to my death at like 40% :(

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
i'v heard that yoshi's uair can sort of pop someone up off the ground if theyre lying down (were hit, didnt tech, havn't stood up) does this work?

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
You're probably thinking of utilt
...no. I am thinking of uair. I am wondering if the hitbox does reach low enough.

Edit: I tried it, and no, doesnt appear possible. You have to start relatively high to make the animation come out at all, and when it does it auto-cancels surprisingly far up off the ground

The Star King

Smash Hero
It works on DK, maybe some other chars too.

But not really useful since you can just utilt.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Yeah it didn't connect pretty well. .____. Should of did it faster, but it was still good though since it messed up its damage pretty well.

P.S. That boomerang in the beginning was gay.

P.S.S Is it possible to ff with a low altitude doing DJC. I only play on weekdayz soo.....I won't be able to answer that myself.

Top Bottom