• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Dair Testing Not Matching Game Data

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Simple problem.

All the data mining suggests that Yoshi's dair is a 14 hit move with a total damage cap of 34.4%

In practice right now myself and others can only make 13 hits connect for a total of 32% damage.

Why is there a discrepancy between the data and ingame?

In testing I've only been able to get these results for each hit:

1. 3%
2. 6%
3. 9%
4. 12%
5. 15%
6. 18%
7. 20%
8. 22%
9. 24%
10. 26%
11. 29%
12. 30/31%
13. 32%

The 12th hit difference only occurs when getting just 12 hits as opposed to 13.

Thoughts? Both Kurogane and the data on the Yoshi framedata thread agree that there are 14 hits for 34.4% damage.

Kitzu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kitzu77
I was watching AceStarThe3rd's fourth(?) Yoshi undefeatable and he managed to deal 34 percent in one blow.

Also, the chances of this happening in a match? I don't think this is all too important tbh, plus how often it is used aswell as it is quite an unreliable move, we have better short hop approach options and landing options, such as Egg Toss and N-air. And Yoshi Bomb in some cases.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I regularly see D-air hit for 33% on a short-hop into an on-coming dash or dash grab. I've been doing it for months and I always though that was the limit.

I've seen in the data that D-air has a landing hit-box for 1%, but I'm never sure of when it actually happens.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
For those of you who have said you've seen the damage at 33/34% -- Was it because of there being 14 hits, or was there a freshness bonus applied? I believe the data we use assumes no stale/fresh bonus, so what you've seen could still be 13 hits, with a little extra damage from fresh bonus.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who have said you've seen the damage at 33/34% -- Was it because of there being 14 hits, or was there a freshness bonus applied? I believe the data we use assumes no stale/fresh bonus, so what you've seen could still be 13 hits, with a little extra damage from fresh bonus.
This wouldn't necessarily explain why the data mining itself suggests there should be 14 hits though, no?

On someone else saying "it doesn't matter", I think it's worth digging into a mechanic we don't entirely understand when the gamedata doesn't match testing because it means there's a mechanic of the game that is potentially not fully understood. There's potential for something unknown to be uncovered when things don't match up properly.

That and I'm just plain curious.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I wouldn't say it's a mechanic really, at the same time it seems almost random when it wants to do 32% 33% or 34% from the move.
Honestly as long as I get over 27% from Dair I say the move did its job already which is why I wouldn't mind too much if that was say a Yoshi nerf that happens today.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
This wouldn't necessarily explain why the data mining itself suggests there should be 14 hits though, no?

On someone else saying "it doesn't matter", I think it's worth digging into a mechanic we don't entirely understand when the gamedata doesn't match testing because it means there's a mechanic of the game that is potentially not fully understood. There's potential for something unknown to be uncovered when things don't match up properly.

That and I'm just plain curious.
Nono, I meant that the first two posters were saying they saw the proper amount of damage, and I was just suggesting it was due to freshness, not due to 14 hits. I believe your testing.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Is it okay if I revive this? It looks like it wasn't solved and I'm also curious about what's going on now 0_0

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Is it okay if I revive this? It looks like it wasn't solved and I'm also curious about what's going on now 0_0
It has to be the TC's technique that is the problem, not the game. Buffered short hop d-air with the landing hitbox does 33%, sometimes 34% depending on half-percent damage. F-smash and D-tilt do half percentages, so they can contribute to 34% D-air, as well as leftover damage from stale moves.

Top Bottom