• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Analysis (early notes)

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
My smash experience starts with Brawl, and a lot of Smash 4. I have taken a series of notes in the past week, and started by using Yoshi in order to learn the new game mechanics(I mained him in Sm4sh). I will follow up with more content. Feel free to critique constructively.

-Grounded movement has improved, made his options better
-Incredibly hard learning curve due to game mechanics and speed
-This makes his combos precise and conditioning more difficult and mix up heavy
-Game mechanics help Yoshi is certain ways, ruin him in others
-Egg Toss is a little better with bounce, can cover platforms well, and protect him while off stage, as well as pressure from a distance. Which isn't really that great, the game rewards offensive commitment
-Yoshi's neutral is match up specific and difficult with a weak kit. Can struggle against projectiles and disjoints(Once Again)
-His ground and aerial speed alike are exceptional
-Juggles pretty well in a game that rewards such an effort
-Shield grabbing has taken a considerable nerf against most characters that used to give Yoshi trouble
-Perry mechanic makes slower hitboxes start up a bad thing; this effects Yoshi's utility of Fair, making it more likely to be perry'd. Options for Yoshi out of a Perry(we'll call it O.o.P.) are relatively strong
-I can forsee his meta revolving around well spaced mix-ups in order to push his opponent off-stage. Relying on shield drops that are poorly-timed Perry's. -Yoshi plays like a wall, and uses precision to push his opponent off-stage and into disadvantage, or juggling.
-His Fair will not combo successfully until higher percent, this is a result of slight landing lag regardless of short hop buffering. Will combo at kill %.
-Dash cancelling into U-tilt, D-tilt, jab, F-smash, and D-smash are the most optimal
-Short hop buffering benefits his aerials and conditioning. Could be extremely powerful in a game that depends on shield drop timing mixups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom