• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi’s potential

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I’ve played every character into elite and I have to say, I think Yoshi is actually the best character in the game right now. I am so fearful of nerfs because he is the best iteration of the character yet and feels so right to me finally.

-His aerial movement is number 1 which is massive for a character with as many strong options
-his double jump is still semi broken and his new up b gets boosted by both jump timing
-his nair OoS somehow feels even more godlike
-His issue with swords is greatly diminished by stronger egg game and a new ftilt that at least threatens his front more. (This is one section where I think over time he will struggle as swords master spacing)
-His combo game rivals the Pikachus while having multiple kill confirms
-he seems to have kill options everywhere... his back air is actually filthy, his up air is filthy at every percent and then he has strong smashes for hard read moments or punishes as well
-He has decent weight to sustain fatal damage.
-His eggroll does heavy shield damage

I see a lot of inkling as number 1 but my bet is Yoshi will soon sneak into position. Yoshi is harder to master but seems absurd. He was already pretty decent in 4 and slept on, now he just feels insane. Thoughts?
62B220AE-672D-427F-83E4-7FA0F84729E7.jpeg

Last edited:

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
He struggles heavily against quick sword characters like the 4 Marths and a little bit against the Simons. I've had bad luck against Incineroar but that's probably because I dont know the matchup well.

I do agree that he's very good in this game, but I don't think he'll be top, Tbh, I don't think any single character will be a "top" in this game, a lot of characters a very well balanced.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You've done the best with Yoshi probably because he fits your playstyle the most and you just discovered it. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not exactly evidence that he'd be the "best character in the game" after all is said in done.

Regardless, if the meta ends up revolving around characters with the best movement, then yes, I can see him being up there... :yoshi:

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Yea yoshi is good but i agree he struggles with sword characters with excellent spacing,
i'd be willing to bet chrom is his worst mu so far possibly

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yoshi isn't going to be the best in-game. He's a good pick, though. Weapons and magic like Zelda's will always beat out his attacks. He has combos in this game, but it's largely u-air spam or f-tilt > u-tilt > u-air at lower %. Rest of his game is largely high-pressure strings and confirms off the ground when they don't tech, which isn't bad, but they aren't combos.

This is still the best iteration of Yoshi we've ever seen, and it's been a long time coming.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Perhaps #1 slot is a stretch, but I don't see a future where he is not at least top tier though.
The Belmonts have pretty laggy options and Yoshi weaves well and punishes hard. The swords he does struggle vs but I don't think "heavily", it's more he can't trample them like the rest of the cast and has to play much more defensively and punish focused which he can afford to do much better in this game than before with his buffs.

If people put Peach/Daisy there (who also struggle with swords and spacing) then I feel like you have to throw Yoshi in the same boat.

Last edited:

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
I don't think Yoshi will ever be a #1, and I prefer that. We don't want too many running around.

A high difficulty to master, yet an all rounder character with high tier placement is an amazing place to be at.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I think he has advantage over inkling in that m/u I just think inkling is more consistent vs the whole cast. The links give yoshi a hard time and they’re relevant. I still think yoshi is top tier just not #1

He’s the 2nd best brawler to me next to Peach

And he’s one of the few characters to give pokemon trainer a hard time on every one of their options so I still think he’s a really solid pick.

But even though eggs can relieve stress vs swordboys... the links have all the tools to shut that down and still win spaces trades

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
My opinion on Yoshi's match up spread is that he struggles most against disjoints and characters with multi-hit moves that do well off-stage. I don't think he loses any matchup honestly. His biggest enemy is himself. His difficulty to master and his air speed make mastering movement and spacing incredibly precise. He also has to change his playstyle for the amount of different characters in this game. No top players have taken on his burden, so we may not see Yoshi in many high level matchups. IMO he can be looked at the same as 20XX Fox in Melee. His kit is incredible, the only thing holding him back is his difficulty and the amount of match up knowledge necessary.

Top Bottom