• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Yom-Bum!" The Yoshi Film Analysis Channel.

blazingsparky

Smash Rookie
So I have a pretty tough time dealing with falco's lasers and got a couple MMs with a friend recorded and was hoping for some advice. Right now I honestly just kinda roll around to deal with lasers and I know this is a pretty bad idea I just don't know what else to do. My inability to deal with lasers is especially obvious in the first game of the 2nd set. Also I know I should be trying to parry, especially to stay out of those shine dair pillars but I just haven't been able to ingrain it in myself and most of the time I don't think about even trying it until it's too late and I'm already in the middle of my dtilt or im getting shined

Any advice on any of the sets is super appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJtK9bTTMQ&feature=youtu.be
lost 3-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqT5mjsz9E&feature=youtu.be
won 2-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd4-7bxK4ng&feature=youtu.be
lost 2-0 in both

ABAP Kidney

Smash Rookie
Icyo Icyo I've never critiqued a Yoshi match before so I might have some bad advice, but I'll do my best!

GAME ONE:

1) You need to hesitate less. The Puff was able to smack you around partly because you crouched so frequently and were too spooked to attack when you did get an opening. Keep in mind that bair, while a great spacing tool in general, is unreliable agaist Puff due to her superior reach. In general, I find the best way to get to a Puff is to get her vertically: while her bair has incredible reach, her dair is significantly more risky (and Yoshi's u-air is wonderful).

2) At 0:25 or so you're knocked off stage and attempt to throw an egg, I believe to grab that platform? Whenever off stage with Yoshi against anyone, your very first instinct should be recovery. Don't lose that double jump! There's very little excuse for dying at 50%, and no reason to go for ledge when your opponent is that close to you. At around 0:50, you go for a down-b to ledge and miss it. The thing is you'd already almost made it back to stage! In this situation a wave land onto the left platform would have meant getting your jump back and maybe even (if you slid off the platform) getting in a dair on an unsuspecting Puff). This is again about confidence in your character and yourself.

3) At 0:43 You throw an egg in neutral. You do this quite a bit and almost every time it's done when Puff is extremely close to you. Eggs do a lot of damage and are great against Puff but knowing when not to use them is super important, and you missed a couple kill opportunities because of egg throw. Trust me when I say I know your pain here because I also throw hella eggs in neutral and I too suffer for it.

4) This is sort of a continuation on part 1 here, but those crouches are really hurting you. As the match goes on, the Puff gets a better idea of how to deal with it, going from hitting you for decent damage with bairs to the inevitable rest combo at around 1:17. This is maybe a worse habit than the egg toss; I don't believe it works out in your favor even once in game one. Fortunately, it's a very easy habit to fix. I personally suggest replacing your crouches with your dash dance whenever possible. Your dash dance is better than mine, I'd argue.

5) This one is minor, but at 1:56 you go for a downsmash, which knocks Puff too far away for you to follow up. I do think this part is all about nerves.

GAME 2:

1) In Game 2 you become a whole different person or Owl. You're dash dancing, you're not afraid to approach. It shows, you immediately start scaring the Puff and you gain a percent lead for it. Yet, every time you're about to get the big money, you go for another egg throw, which almost always gets you punished. In general, you may need to start thinking more about your match in between your stocks. Note that your upsmashes were destroying this Puff. If you hadn't stood there crouching, or attempted eggs during your combos, I'm fairly certain you would have won.

ABAP Kidney

Smash Rookie
B blazingsparky I'll get something more detailed at you later on, but for now one thing I can say is that platforms are your friend against Falco laser spam. Wave landing from platform specifically is a really solid option. In general, Falco near the edge of the stage is actually great for you; with Yoshi's powerful wave land, djc, armor, and ledge grab, an off stage falco is basically down from the word go. There's more to it than this of course but your best way to deal with laser spam is to move above him, move quickly, and make him regret giving up center stage.

Icyo

Smash Ace
I think a lot of the crouches were to see if I'd be able to parry in a tournament game lol. Turns out I couldn't...

Thanks for the critique!

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
B blazingsparky parrying is your friend! Trust me when I say, it will be worth every single moment you try to practice it and implement it into your game. It's basically a powershield you can move out of immediately. Think of it as having a lagless projectile that you can approach with when you can parry Falco's lasers. Falco can dictate the entire pace of a match with his lasers alone, so having full control of how he uses them is one of the best things you can have. Platforms are also your friend for escaping, but make sure to not get caught by a shine waveland when on the platform, and to be able to shield drop consistently. Yoshi's neutral is very difficult, so you have to make sure to take your punishes as far as possible. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to 0 -death a spacie every time you touch him, it's all up to you and your willingness to practice.

turnerq

Banned via Warnings
Hey friends!
Not sure how active this thread is, but i will be posting some videos soon

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I just saw this now. Better late than never though, right?

If you space well and Marth spaces well, Marth wins. You'll want to keep him in bad positions, notably above you, so he can't fight you as effectively. I noticed you weren't staying on Marth as much as you should've and threw out moves pre-emptively when he was dash dancing, which is what he succeeded in getting you to do. D-throw -> FH U-air will work on Marth for a wide range of percents, and is a good way to get him into the air. For edgeguarding, the best options are ECEs and staying on the ledge.

I suggest practicing your ECEs so you can throw them offstage and make edgeguarding him much easier. At higher percents an egg will pop him high enough to N-air him back offstage, which usually results in a kill.

Last edited:

ABAP Kidney

Smash Rookie
How do you feel about the tilts vs. Marth? I was just playing a bunch of games with a Marth player and finding my forward tilt was doing exactly what you're suggesting, getting him above me. I'll definitely keep in mind the dash dance stuff though, I feel like I let him have right of way a lot and this basically confirms it.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yoshi's tilts send Marth flying in good directions, but they're also laggy and harder to land because of Marth's range. F-tilt is good to use when Marth is in the air and D-tilt is good when he's on the ground. U-tilt is harder to land but leads into U-air kills at higher percents. F-smash is also good as a mixup for beating Marth's aerial approaches.

I would emphasize more on getting the hits than which hits to land. A lot of Marth's moves have lots of endlag, so Yoshi needs to be moving in a way that makes Marth feel unsafe and throw out a move or shield. Platform wavelands and tricky use of Yoshi's double jump are essential. If your movement is fluid and you can space yourself so that you can punish a whiffed move while staying out of Marth's range, I think that's when the matchup really can get hard for Marth.

Last edited:

NGM | ChiliYoshi

Smash Rookie
Match starts around 4:40. I know my timing on SHFFL is a bit off due to adapting from LCD to Crt.

Last edited:

Bobalu

Smash Rookie
ôSleepô ôSleepô

Game 1
I haven't tested the math but possibly punishing the first rest with a long dair > nair or dair > dsmash might of been more %
You didn't use upair at all, I realize it can be hard to land but you never used it

Game 2
You're using downsmash a lot. It's great on FoD but i mean you were wifing it for no reason a lot
shield drop up airs so far have been seriously on point tho

Game 3
One of the biggest parts of yoshi is that spaced fair game but an even bigger part of it is how good his invincible smash attacks are. By using up smash as an anti air and forward smash to whiff punish pounds or bad arials by jigs
you can control the ground game and force her to use grabs which as far as Im concerned are pretty bad vs yoshi.

To go with this you seem to put out a lot of DJC nairs and fairs to challenge jigs arial game which she can just straight up beat you in with her amazing arials and mobility.

He hasn't challenged you during ECE's the whole set and you get a lot of free dmg by it I would stick to a safe ECE game and just land a nair or smash to kill especially on FD where you can wave land around platforms, of course right after I type this puff begins to fair the ledge to cover ECEs.

Overall I would advise really looking into specific match up strategies, It seems like you have a very solid understanding of what makes yoshi good, only other tech off the top of my head is DJCFF up air combos on heavier characters, but you need to come into every match up with a preferred way to rack up %, a preferred way to KO, and a strong defensive strategy (CC combo breakers, Parry > DJC nairs, Superarmor > arial, etc) with slight mix ups all around. It can be hard to grab puff and she wasn't shielding much to warrant grabs but with the addition of solid grabs/neutral bs to catch shields you've got a yoshi game to be proud of for sure

Pot$hot

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm new to smash boards and relatively new to competitive smash, having picked up melee about 2 months ago. I first looked up the most technical characters and picked up fox. He and his tech were never very hard for me and just last week i got out of pools at my first tournament. I decided to find another character and found AmsA's yoshi tech vid and fell in love. Iv been trying to master his tech(got egg stalling and djc down ) but can't get parrying any tips. I'm also looking for another training partner Im based in St.Paul mn and would love to play. Keep smashing -Lyndon.

Top Bottom