• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo, Where's the Duck Hunt love at?

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
This dude is tricky as hell and I love him. I'm so ready for him to have any kill move in Ultimate. Hoping anyway.

Best doggo.

StormC

Smash Hero
I played a ton of Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Until Cloud was announced, he was probably my most played newcomer. I absolutely loved his playstyle and setups, though I don't know how much I'll use him in Ultimate between K. Rool, Cloud, Snake, Wolf, Ridley, and Ganondorf. Still glad to see him again.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I mean, I picked him up semi-recently in Smash 4 and he's definitely one of my favs now. I'm not sure if I'll end up straight up maining him in Ultimate or not just because there are so many freaking characters I want to try. We'll see. From what I gather it seems like they've got buffs, but nothing too crazy. Being able to actually act out of the recovery will be nice though.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
*Crickets* He was never the most popular character, tbh. But he does have a place in the game. We'll see if anyone notable picks him up again.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I think his difficulty makes him rather underplayed, but I've loved his inclusion since day one. I've tried maining Duck Hunt for a while in Smash 4, but I just can't get be as technical with him as other pro players are, so I kinda gave up on that.. Still, I'm sending lots of love to our goodest of bois.

Lexlanson

Smash Rookie
I can't wait to pick him up again. I didn't own smash4, but when I did get to play it i always enjoyed Duck Hunt. He's just so random and awesome!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mr.Peepers and Quackers will be forever loved by people...even if it’s not a lot

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mr.Peepers and Quackers will be forever loved by people...even if it’s not a lot
Ahh, I remember when we called DH Mr. Peepers! I wanted DH in Smash before Smash 3DS/Wii U was even announced. in fact, he, Pac-Man, Miis and Muddy Mole were my most wanted characters at the time. I even created a Mii of the dog because I thought he wasn't getting in! correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Duck Hunt Dog for Smash 4" page was the most liked unofficial Smash page on Facebook at the time.

I was on a holiday (can't remember where, think it was Holland) when DHD leaked, and when I got home and saw the leaks on my slow 3DS internet browser, I shouted "DUCK HUNT DOG! DUCK HUNT DOG!" probably confusing all the neighbours!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ahh, I remember when we called DH Mr. Peepers! I wanted DH in Smash before Smash 3DS/Wii U was even announced. in fact, he, Pac-Man, Miis and Muddy Mole were my most wanted characters at the time. I even created a Mii of the dog because I thought he wasn't getting in! correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Duck Hunt Dog for Smash 4" page was the most liked unofficial Smash page on Facebook at the time.

I was on a holiday (can't remember where, think it was Holland) when DHD leaked, and when I got home and saw the leaks on my slow 3DS internet browser, I shouted "DUCK HUNT DOG! DUCK HUNT DOG!" probably confusing all the neighbours!
Honestly I never considered Duck Hunt to join Smash (though that’s only because I made no predictions outside of Palutena), but seeing him and his new duck friends was amazing. Probably one of the best character reveal trailers for Smash 4 (just for them actually reactions to the tagline alone)

TBFish

Smash Rookie
Me too--started playing him over the last couple months, might be the most fun zoner I've played (Peacock from Skullgirls right up with 'em). Can't believe I slept on this character for so long.

Being able to hit the can in the air is going to be so, so much fun, very excited to get my hands on him.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I used to play Duck Hunt in Smash 4, but have never really been good at any Smash games due to lack of real experience. My playstyle with him had one of the best players in our state say I'm pretty good with him, so I'm aiming to try to main him in Smash U. Hyped to finally unlock him! Sadly it will take a long time since he's far down in the unlock tree, but I'm hyped to pick up best doggo again.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
Ironic that I made this thread but cannot stand Duck hunt in Ultimate. He feels ultra floaty and still doesn't feel like he has the power to do anything. New clay pigeon mechanics mess with can shooting and yeah.... The doggo is dropped for me. Grossly disappointing.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I played around with him briefly as I unlocked him early in WOL. It felt just like playing Smash 4 to me minus the couple changes to B moves (clay pigeon is dumb now), and it appears you can't sourspot dash attack the can to get it to fly the other way any longer. I got bored considering the amount of hours I put into him in Smash 4 and it just felt like more of the same. I may play him for fun or as a secondary somewhere down the line but not going to go nuts relearning his every aspect.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
I just... can't get rid of the feeling that Duck Hunt got really nerfed.

Everytime I play it, I just don't perform near as well as in Smash 4.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I just... can't get rid of the feeling that Duck Hunt got really nerfed.

Everytime I play it, I just don't perform near as well as in Smash 4.
I think it's that he's nearly a direct port from Smash 4 in a game that no longer rewards that kind of playstyle. Probably not really nerfed himself, but the game mechanics changing effectively made him worse.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
They feel so much more stiff now.
Like, the universal roll changes do no favors for the dog, as rolling for both evasion and positioning were a major part of my gameplay.
I'm personally not a fan of the can changes either.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I feel like he's now a bottom tier character. I wouldn't say the dreaded "Ganondorf in Brawl" tier yet (though we may have to start thinking about the "Duck Hunt tier"), but whenever I try to use him in battles, I can't manage to do anything worthwhile. Yes, I need to get my Joy-Cons fixed up (or get new ones), but that's besides the point; the specials suck (the Wild Gunman is super easy to defeat and will just stay in the battle for what seems like an eternity), the smash attacks have strange range, and it feels like they just decided that Duck Hunt was to be THE joke character, not in terms of players being showoffs in competition, but more like "You GOTTA be kidding me".

I think the first 48-72 hours of Ultimate saw people look at most of the characters, and Duck Hunt became the least-liked character of the bunch due to how butchered the mechanics are. It's going to need some serious buffs later on if players are going to take it seriously in 2019.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
Smash 4 Duck hunt introduced me to legit my favorite kit in any fighting game I've played. At first the changes felt too drastic and I considered dropping this incarnation but after messing around with him I'm definitely back on board for maining him again this time around, most satisfying character in the game (at least for me.)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
this character has to be the least played in ultimate I've ony seen DH once online and that was day one

haven't seen him since then

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I’m actually thinking of picking him up again as a secondary to pull the “matchup inexperience” card. I tried him out on quickplay tonight and it was a bit fun. Can setups still work fairly well and people still get scared of the gunman enough to hide in their shields long enough to get a grab.

I hate what they did with clay pigeon but it seems to be kind of a remote mine kind of thing now, so it might grow on me. I never used it much in the past anyway. I like the new can physics and the fact that you can hit it midair is nice. The length of time that the gunman stays out if he gets knocked out is infuriating. Not sure if that makes the knockback buffs on sombrero and orange worth the trade. His aerials have less range which is also kind of annoying as well. I liked being able to hit with the last couple hits of uair to still get a KO, but they can fall out of it more easily now. Smashes are still slow but at least connect somewhat properly now.

All in all I still think he got too much of a nerf already being a somewhat low tier character. But still fun to play.

Also no one rematches Duck Hunt on quickplay, win or lose. Not something I’m not used to already, but nice not seeing the derogatory nametag switches, so I just have to imagine their salt now.

Edit: I forgot to mention the changes to duck jump. The ability to act out of it is amazing.

Last edited:

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
I think it's that he's nearly a direct port from Smash 4 in a game that no longer rewards that kind of playstyle. Probably not really nerfed himself, but the game mechanics changing effectively made him worse.
nah playing him wrong he's a top tier they reworked can to knock back based on the side his airel's are almost wario tier side b is crazy shield pressure and can combo into itself and down b does DAMAGE AND KNOCKBACK INSTEAD OF BEING USELESS Fing MOVE. also he has non smash attacks kill moves like f-tilt up-air dash attack the can down b back air

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
nah playing him wrong he's a top tier they reworked can to knock back based on the side his airel's are almost wario tier side b is crazy shield pressure and can combo into itself and down b does DAMAGE AND KNOCKBACK INSTEAD OF BEING USELESS Fing MOVE. also he has non smash attacks kill moves like f-tilt up-air dash attack the can down b back air
Dawg this is hard as **** to read. Consider more punctuation.

Anyway yeah that was my impression of him after playing him two or three times within 10 or so days after launch. I knew other things are bound to be found. I have him another honest try later on. It’s just the way you have to play him now isn’t the way I *want* to play him. Not a fan of the new can properties (except being able to hit it midair and after it starts flashing), the new side B, or the new gunman (which was actually a great pressure and edgeguarding tool in smash 4, not useless like you say). I do like being able to airdodge out of up B. Aerials are still there and smashes seem to connect properly now, but he just feels too slow and floaty for me. I actually kind of wish he was more of a direct port from smash 4. Give him faster falling speed and the same Can/Gunmen from smash 4, and I’d be all over this character.

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
Dawg this is hard as **** to read. Consider more punctuation.

Anyway yeah that was my impression of him after playing him two or three times within 10 or so days after launch. I knew other things are bound to be found. I have him another honest try later on. It’s just the way you have to play him now isn’t the way I *want* to play him. Not a fan of the new can properties (except being able to hit it midair and after it starts flashing), the new side B, or the new gunman (which was actually a great pressure and edgeguarding tool in smash 4, not useless like you say). I do like being able to airdodge out of up B. Aerials are still there and smashes seem to connect properly now, but he just feels too slow and floaty for me. I actually kind of wish he was more of a direct port from smash 4. Give him faster falling speed and the same Can/Gunmen from smash 4, and I’d be all over this character.
I know about both. That is what I should tried say. He is very different and I just got mad that people were saying he's the same but other than the animations he has a completely different playstyle

Top Bottom