• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo I need help dealing with projectile spammers

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Shield dash and perfect shield. If you play a character with a reflector, use that too. Also why put this in the Meta Knight Character Discussion?

Last edited:

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
asking a question and then being a **** to everyone who tries to answer you is not a good idea

everyone you probably think of as a “projectile spammer” loses to mk -2 or worse. be patient and approach while shielding projectiles on reaction, then abuse the fact that those characters are usually bad up close and have horrible disadvantage states. don’t get impatient or mad because then you will get hit more and it will snowball. every projectile zoner in this game has counterplay more specific to them but this general gameplan should work against all of them to an extent.

Last edited:

EMT~

Smash Cadet
Speaking as a Duck Hunt main, here are some thoughts for playing against projectile characters:

-Counterplay their zoning gameplan. A lot of projectiles can be used to set up certain things, e.g., covering an approach, option coverage/traps, conditioning, gaining stage control, etc. Think about what they're using their projectile to do, and play around that.

For example, as a Duck Hunt, Gunmen opens up a lot of options for me:
--You shield -> I run in and grab
--You jump at me -> I stuff you with FAir
--You back up -> I gain stage control

How do you counterplay that? Well, if you're close enough, you can simply run in and hit/grab me in my lag as I'm placing the Gunmen. Meta Knight is pretty fast iirc, so he can probably do this from certain ranges.

Of course, this requires character knowledge, but then again, character knowledge is a part of Smash.

-Try to disrupt their zoning gameplan if you can. Especially in Smash 4, a lot of the projectile characters have projectile gameplans that can easily be "messed" with. This is better described with examples. With various item characters, you can grab onto and hold on to items to prevent them from making one of their own (though this isn't always the best idea as it limits your own options). For R.O.B., you can grab his gyro and throw it up immediately - now his gyro is entirely out of play, and you have access to all of your characters options. For Duck Hunt. hit his can - along with moving it, this can mess up the trajectory of the can upon DH netural B and seriously mess with Duck Hunt's space/stage control plans. For BowJow, you can powershield his mecha koopa and pick it up right after. Things like that.

-Try keeping stage control. Duck Hunt loves being center stage, and I'm guessing he's not the only projectile zoner who does. Keeping stage control limits their options while allowing you more room to weave around their projectiles. Being forced to a corner is bad against projectile zoners, as now you have fewer options to escape their pressue.

-Once you get in, don't let it get back to neutral. Projectile zoners love netural game, and generally don't like disadvantage much. Especially not against Meta Knight, who has his excellent edgeguarding tools.

Not really sure about Meta Knight-specific tactics, though, because I'm not super familiar with Meta Knight.

Last edited:

TheTrueHer0

Smash Rookie
Okay so i my tips against projectiles spammers are to shield the projectiles and slowly approach. If you play a character who has a good air game try going into the air to avoid them. beating projectiles with fast air attacks is a good idea. If the projectile is fox lasers then just approach and stop him from laser spamming. if its a projectile that makes you flich (falco laser, links bow, mario fireball etc) then shield and approach the best you can

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Because its a meta knight specific problem...?!
I actually think it's one of Mk's strengths.

I have decent experience with a lot of projectile heavy MU as well considering fellow competitors, friends, and room mates near me play several of them.

Which particular projectile based characters are giving you trouble?

edit: just read this part
Screw all of them. I can't do anything to them at all.
Or is it just any character that shoots a range shot over and over is giving you trouble?

5 Jumps, playing defensively, and the fact that most projectile characters have average or below average recoveries.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I actually think it's one of Mk's strengths.

I have decent experience with a lot of projectile heavy MU as well considering fellow competitors, friends, and room mates near me play several of them.

Which particular projectile based characters are giving you trouble?

edit: just read this part

Or is it just any character that shoots a range shot over and over is giving you trouble?

5 Jumps, playing defensively, and the fact that most projectile characters have average or below average recoveries.
Actually I dont play MK anymore he’s still too linear imo. I play olimar now so I’ve become part of the problem

Top Bottom