• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YL's Boomerang on Link

Someturtlesaregreen

Smash Rookie
Just a heads up- This would have no use on Fox or Falco, and would only be useful for Marth or Sheik if you can get them in the right position. Really, Ganondorf (or any relatively slow to medium speed character) is the only character I can think of that Link would get a decent use out of this technique. And even still, this move most likely used to look flashy, and only that. Maybe you can assemble your own group called the Harlem Link-trotters and use this to look flashy. Whatever you want to use it for. I just report things I find interesting.

While trying to find a way to successfully get a guaranteed Bomb Slide I found a thing with the Boomerang that simulates when YLink throws his boomerang at the farthest angle down (80 degrees I think); it hits the ground, sending it at an arc above YLink and beind him. I would find a gif or video of this but I'm lazy. Anyway, while YLink can do this easily, Link has a shorter range of direction that he can throw his boomerang (It's either 30 or 50 degrees I think. I'm probably wrong). So Link's boomerang actually has to hit a wall like structure before it can bounce behind him. This is where Link's bombs come in handy. Link's bombs are one of those objects that can be used as a wall, so short hopping back and throwing his boomerang at the bomb will do one of many things. Here are the things I have documented so far.

1). If you only short hopped slightly back the boomerang should go over Link's head at a downwards arc. For me the bomb exploded 3 out of 5 times, but if it doesn't, I recommend the good ol' grab'n throw.
2). There is a distance from the bomb that will not work at all, Link will stand up and catch the boomerang before it goes over him. This is if Link short hops a medium amount. Once this is done enough, you should get the feel of this area.
3). This is where it gets interesting. Short hopping with Link at the farthest distance he can while still hitting the bomb will have a chance at a Bomb Slide. First off, when doing this Link must throw the Boomerang at the middle of the bomb or lower, this causes the Boomerang to do an arc under the stage (technically inside of) and come up from under the stage to hit the opponent. This also has a chance at a Bomb Slide, which is a plus.

Some things to note about this is that the closer Link throws his Boomerang at the bomb, the closer the opponent has to be to be hit by it. For example, the under the stage arc is best used to hit a far target.

Video examples in the worst possible quality because i have to use an iphone and a tv because my computers a piece of crap:
Example 1 and 2 on order:

Example 3 (yes I cheated and used the easy bomb plant):

Example of a Bomb Slide (sometimes the fuse caught Roy):

Feel free to post your own thoughts and findings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom