• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YL vs. DDD

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all! Any tips on going up against pro dedede's? I seem to be having a hard time against them...

Thanks! :3

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Perhaps elaborate on what ways you struggle against D3. Young Link can camp D3 pretty hard.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Throw out a lot of boomerangs and arrows. Be sure to press your advantage when you pop DDD up in the air. Boomerang thrown close (can be good pivoted) and bombs true combo into Fair. Projectiles bounce back gordos. Basically don't commit to laggy moves and smother DDD with quick projectiles. Keep in mind DDD's dash attack has a hitbox on the hand that sticks out; that fooled me once.
See the metagame thread for YL's combos.

https://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-metagame-thread.467398/

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I disagree with throwing out projectiles willy nilly... Good DDDs I've fought will use Inhale, which is the most problematic part of the MU projectile wise.

I find being more patient in the matchup pays off. YL has better speed which I like, and punishing DDD when he commits with fire arrows and boomerang pays off much more.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
I disagree with throwing out projectiles willy nilly... Good DDDs I've fought will use Inhale, which is the most problematic part of the MU projectile wise.

I find being more patient in the matchup pays off. YL has better speed which I like, and punishing DDD when he commits with fire arrows and boomerang pays off much more.
YES! This is exactly my problem... it seems all of my projectiles are swallowed or piummeled by his spike ball... it's incredibly frustrating.. but I think I got the hang of it with timing fairs and nairs coinciding with blocked projectiles.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
YES! This is exactly my problem... it seems all of my projectiles are swallowed or piummeled by his spike ball... it's incredibly frustrating.. but I think I got the hang of it with timing fairs and nairs coinciding with blocked projectiles.
I'd recommend playing Dedede briefly to understand his timings. He has fixed windows starting and stopping his sucking ability. Learn those timings. Punish those windows. Dedede has to commit to the move, and Young Link is quick. Quick up-air and down-air will do the trick much of the time.

Top Bottom