• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

Airborne

Smash Lord
Every character in melee could wavedash, making jigg's wavedash useless. DR is used to keep yoshi from committing to moves. Lots of people never understood how DR works. I know how it's supposed to work, which is why I use it.
^THISSSSSSSS

Basically, it's a gimmick, like Sonic's spindash, that has mixups that WORK.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Ok i have a question. I have picked up yoshi and im pretty good with him. Do i have to learn a lot of his movement ats to become really good with him? like DR and DT? Or are those not necessary but helpful? So far the only at i really use at the moment is jump canceled eggs, to move him around a bit while throwing... Basically what im asking is which ats should i learn inorder to make my yoshi better?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ok i have a question. I have picked up yoshi and im pretty good with him. Do i have to learn a lot of his movement ats to become really good with him? like DR and DT? Or are those not necessary but helpful? So far the only at i really use at the moment is jump canceled eggs, to move him around a bit while throwing... Basically what im asking is which ats should i learn inorder to make my yoshi better?
I, personally, don't use ANY of Yoshi's techs, except MAYBE DJC Egg Lay. Past that, I just run around and do basic stuff, and it works, apparently.

Despite what I do myself, learning all the techs would be good. More options is never a bad thing. You should probably learn DR and how to B-reverse/wavebounce your egglays well.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Good example of technical ability with Yoshi.

In technical ability and know-all, D-Torr >>>>> Poltergust

In doing good and winning, Poltergust >>>>>>>>>>>> D-Torr

Not to take anything away from Polt. He's a very knowledgeable and good player.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
They can be useful but they aren't necessary. I know how to do them, but i only DR maybe once a match. It's good to know for mixups and to throw off your opponent and stuff, but like Delta said, you can still do well without them

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I haven't logged onto Skype in forever.

Just been too busy with tournies, work, and trying to figure out if I was going to school or not this upcoming semester. So I forget. Sorry, not trying to make excuses or anything. I'll try to get on sometime soon.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hey, I'm not that bad when it comes to techniques and stuff. The only kinds of techniques I don't use are ones that involve DR, but that's only because it's almost impossible to do with my control setup. =/

If I could master just one DR technique, it would be the DR Waveland from the ledge. I can't even begin to imagine how useful that would be. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to do it...

:069:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I didn't say your technical ability and prowess is bad. I just said that I am better technically. I also said that you are much, much better than me with Yoshi which shows in your wins. My playstyle with Yoshi won't get me anywhere while your control and playstyle will.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, I just realized something.

The only food I had during Apex was CBR.

The best I've ever done at an event was Apex.

CBR must be godlike for Yoshis. It also helped Firefly that one time, IIRC. :bee:

Also, there's been talk (sorta) about ruleset changes, mainly 10 minute timer and the one with the most airtime upon timeout loses the match.

I personally think this rule is godlike.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
So, I just realized something.

Delta took too long to figure out that CBR was legit.

Good stuff at Apex.

CBR can't be godlike. If they were, they would tremendously help such a garbage Yoshi, like myself, out. :urg:

Also, the rule with more airtime upon timeout loses the match is beyond dumb. It's really bad LOL. I'm fine with 8 minute timer. Using 10 minute timer will make local tournaments the whole weekend.

I personally think that dumb rules are dumb.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I think the effect of the CBR is strongest the first time you use it. The first time I had one before singles was one of my best tournaments to date, but when I did the same thing at my next tourney, I placed really badly. >.>

The discussions for rules to try and nerf MK's timeout ability are getting silly IMO. The air time rule is a terrible idea and it should never be used. >.>

:005:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I think the airtime rule is something they do in Japan; I've heard that before.

It doesn't really make sense on any level, though, because some characters are more predisposed to being in the air than others.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I have school today... I'm home for lunch... my life sucks now...
awww poor dep. :<
I had school like....2 weeks ago. Totally sad the first day but ya get over it. =w=

The airtime rules ridiculous. Jiggs is gonna be like, in her own tier at the very bottom of the tier list.

Airborne

Smash Lord
I think the airtime rule is something they do in Japan; I've heard that before.

It doesn't really make sense on any level, though, because some characters are more predisposed to being in the air than others.
yeah, Judo and I were discussing the logic behind this rule, and who it would negatively affect the most.. I can't quite remember what would exactly cause one to have more air time, when the clock runs out, or who would be most negatively affected by the rule, but as we got into further discussion, our conclusion wasn't expected.

Also, Jile, I watched the trailer for Big Trouble in Little China, Maine, and I want to play Tales now. XD

D

Deleted member

they use the airtime rule in tijuana as well, and according to TKD and AC it works really nicely there.

You guys are acting like this nerfs characters who are in the air a lot. Timeouts DONT HAPPEN THAT FREAKING OFTEN. And they will happen a lot less with a 10 minute timer. Thats what people dont get, you cant time out from the ground. Notice how meta knight never times out from the ground. Snake never times people in general. Falco can time out, but with 10 minutes its gonna be almost impossible unless the other player is really bad.

IT would discourage timeouts timeouts by aerial characters, but pretty much no one has the ability to timeout from the ground. It only nerfs aerial characters like toon link if the TL is going for timeouts, which is not only hard to do on an 8 minute timer, but TL can still camp from the air as long as he isnt intentionally stalling.

Most of the theory craft against it is based on the fact that it nerfs aerial characters, but it doesnt (except jiggs, but who really cares).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I play this ice climber main almost every tourney and we rarely get each other down the the last stock

Top Bottom