• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yet Another Solution To Lag!

orintemple

Smash Lord
So I don't know who still has lag out there, but if you are like me and have had terrible lag any time you've tried to play maybe I can help. I only know this works for those with Linksys routers, so sorry to the rest of you.

Try This:

Go to your web browser.

Type http://192.168.1.1

A box will pop up. Type "admin" for both username and password. This should work as long as you have the defaults.

You should now be at you router configuration page.

Go to the "Wireless" tab on the page.

Here change your router's channel to either 1 or 11(the default will probably be on 6). This should help with your lag greatly, if you had the same problem I did.

Hope this helps.
If this has already been mentioned sorry, but people should know this.
Good Luck!

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
your right. before I would always get connection errors or it would lag in game to the point of freezing on "3" for 15 seconds. I have an "auto" option on my router within the wireless channel pull down. worked like a charm. If anyone hasn't fiddled with this I suggest doing so now. Just make sure you have a hardwired computer connected if your changing setting willy nilly. you might not be able to connect wirelessly without resesting the router otherwise.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
Note that not all routers use 192.168.1.1 as the login IP. Some may use 192.168.0.1, etc., so check which router you have and work from there. I know for a fact that Netgear routers can use [routerlogin.net] (minus the brackets) to login.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Note that not all routers use 192.168.1.1 as the login IP. Some may use 192.168.0.1, etc., so check which router you have and work from there. I know for a fact that Netgear routers can use [routerlogin.net] (minus the brackets) to login.
For Netgear routers ... as said above ... go to routerlogin.net. Username = admin and password = password (yes password). Click wireless setting or w/e it is in the top left corner and change it to the best setting. As stated before, usually 1 or 11 will do the trick.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Just to clear this up for anyone who is for some reason doubting the legitimacy of this tip, it does work. The Wii responds on the first and last channels of the wireless spectrum much better than the other channels available, mainly due to both channels 1 and 11 being less-used by most other 2.4GHz devices in the average home.

Although this can help with lag, I can personally say that it isn't the end-all for lag. It can have a lot to do with other wireless networks around you, other 2.4GHz wireless devices around you, and more.

Also, be noted, once you've configured your router, it may still not bring any performance boost depending on the way your home network is setup. I know that my network, which is far too intricate to be considered the average home network (haha) is a bit more of a pain to configure, but that's more of a tip for the people here with a techie kind of side to their computing life.

Anyway, some tips in addition to this one:

- If you have any computers on the same wireless network as your Wii that don't particularly need to be connected, disconnect them from the network. I could go into technicalities on how this works, but in a nutshell it just removes more crap for your router to deal with while trying to simultaneously working on connecting your Wii to whoever you're playing.

- Try setting up port forwarding on your router for your Wii. Check out this page on Nintendo.com for information on port forwarding for your Wii.

That's just my two cents on solving lag, so good luck with it and do what you will with the info.

PwB Hun

Smash Rookie
for people who are attempting to do this and have no idea whats going on a fill in may be nice:

hes changing your router configurations with this little tweak

that means:
those of you on public networks, those of you stealing networks(like me), and those of you using nintendo's wireless adapter, i dont believe this will work

furthermore, 192.168.1.1 will not work on all machines

for when it doesnt, try this:

open cmd promt(if the black screen is imposing, just stop and deal with the lag, lol)

type in:
ipconfig /all

scroll down to the default gateway
and subsitute what you see there for 192.168.1.1

also, if admin admin doesnt work, your password/username may have been changed by whoever owns the router. in most cases, this is going to be your dad, so just ask him about the router.

hope that clears up some problems

Skinhoff

Smash Cadet
Ahah! There we go. The poster who said Admin = username and password=password saved my ***. I'll go see if it actually works later.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Isnt the real srouce of the lag the nintendo servers being crowded by brawlers, I mean come on, the only thing we can really do is wait for nintendo to realize and fix the problem with all this lag online.

By the way It would be a nice experiment if two people who have done this have a battle and let the rest of us now if they're battle is completely lag free, because the with anyone matches for people that did this trick still having lag may be due to the fact that the other parties haven't done it.

PwB Hun

Smash Rookie
theres going to be lag no matter what. nintendo's servers are ****. however, this significantly reduces wii>router lag, which, while being a minor problem ina bigger soup, helps a bit. it is slightly noticeable.

SETH3

Smash Rookie
Im trying this as i type it is taking forever to seek people but i hope it works

yoyo420

Smash Rookie
I got an adapter to hook my wii up via ethernet cable through a usb input on the back. Helps a lot to reduce the lag. anyone else try this?

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
This worked on my brothers computer wi-fi signal, when I changed the chanel from 6 to 11.
Now his wi-fi signal is much better, and more stable
So it should work for the wii

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
I tried forever to do this, until I realized all you guys are doing is switching the freaking channels, I have a program that manages that! I feel like I wasted a lot of time. Plus, not all routers use that username and password, there are variations.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Mine was http://10.10.10.1 with admin as the username and password. I tried FOREVER trying to figure out what the password and username was. @_@ Oh well, I changed my channel to 11. I hope to see less lag than before. (Which was minimal) ^^

<('.'<)

Necrophagist

Smash Rookie
I did this a few days ago; worked like a charm. The online still isn't perfect, but I'm no longer getting unbearable lag.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
my friend who set up my wireless network tried changing the channel the day after launch, also...i cant remember what channel my wireless is set on (i believe 5 or something)...but it isnt 1 or 11...though i still get the occasional lag (who doesnt)...after i changed it, i no longer got those dumb error codes

moshen

Smash Rookie
Just to clear this up for anyone who is for some reason doubting the legitimacy of this tip, it does work. The Wii responds on the first and last channels of the wireless spectrum much better than the other channels available, mainly due to both channels 1 and 11 being less-used by most other 2.4GHz devices in the average home.

Although this can help with lag, I can personally say that it isn't the end-all for lag. It can have a lot to do with other wireless networks around you, other 2.4GHz wireless devices around you, and more.
This should read, "channels 1 and 11 being less-used by other nearby wireless networks", other household devices can and will still interfere regardless of what channel you use. Household phones in the 2.4ghz range and microwaves can especially disrupt signals. Also, wireless Xbox 360 controllers are spread spectrum devices that are KNOWN to interfere with wifi.

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
I think it's more so people's connections as opposed to the servers, I have played many online matches with the only truly grueling lag being when the characters enter like... maybe once in 20 matches. The only unbearable lag would have to be on "with anyone" and who would want to suffer that mode? The dread of using items and playing on the worst stages in the game with n00bs who have no idea what they're doing... Ok so maybe they aren't n00bs I just can't stand items.

I have noticed slight control lag, but it was nothing that really cost me a match or anything, but then again it would help if I had more local friends who could actually come over and play on my system. I think there is a few milliseconds of lag while I play with people in Michigan, probably the same with people from Texas, but ironically a match with someone in my state (North Carolina) had the most lag I've ever seen, I think it's her connection though.

I've also had a few matches with someone in England and there was next to no lag that I noticed... I don't think servers are to blame as much that or I'm just lucky.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Woah, I just realized this thread was still kickin'.

This solution is only for Linksys routers. If you do not have a Linksys and it works, then lucky you, but I only know this is for Linksys.

Also, some people may be confusing lag with delay. This method was to cure LAG SPIKES. Meaning that the game seems to freeze up for an amount of time before it goes back to regular play again(for me this was almost constantly). Delay is when it takes the game longer than usual to register you input command. Delay is normal and is just part of the nature of WiFi play due to many factors such as wireless internet getting to your Wii from your router and the overall crowdedness of the servers at Nintendo. Also your distance from their servers may take part.

Top Bottom