• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Y'all Trippin'? Awaiting Diddy Kong's glorious return. HOO-HAH!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy: The official thread of everyone's favorite veteran: DIDDY KONG!! :4diddy:

Whilst Diddy was a very.. controversial character during Smash 4's lifespan (still is), it's no doubt he's one of the bigger names in gaming, and not at a huge risk of being cut.

Despite all the nerfs, he's the sole character to have been nerfed this hard, and still keep a Top Tier status. This two games in a row.

Tropical Freeze being ported, as well as a rumored Diddy Kong Racing game coming for Switch, you must be out of your mind not to expect Diddy returning to Smash Bros.

Here we discuss any potential changes to his moveset, and post our hype for the return of the character as well as awaiting his eventual return.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Diddy Kong is the one character I'm completely satisfied with rn. Not one move I would change. I love the design

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Brings me back to the day when I found out Diddy was in Brawl, before learning of Lucas, before playing Path of Radiance. Diddy was one of my, if not my favorite video game characters. He was the character I felt was the most missing back when Melee was new.
If nothing else, he's up there with Luigi and Tails as the most well known Player 2 character.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Love Diddy in the Smash series. He is really an amazing design. Also, seeing him in Brawl had me believing other characters that debuted in a Rare created game could make it to Smash. Looking at you Dixie and K. Rool.

Now, I'm just waiting for the funky little Kong to return, which is a no brainer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here. Diddy was my absolute most wanted character ever since Smash 64 honestly. I was already kinda upset that the Ness silhouette wasn't Diddy. Then imagine me being upset with his absense in Melee, still doesn't make sense to me.

Diddy is obviously still my favorite character in gaming ever. I named myself after him on here, and various other sites. On here I did it out of 'protest' of Diddy not being in Melee, as a kind reminder to all that he should've been included back in the day.

As for his moveset, I wouldn't change much either. I just hope N Air packs more of a punch , and U Air becomes a better combo move or finishing move. F Air can also pack more of a punch than what it did in the latest patched versions cause originally it was SOOO damn satisfying. I want it to function like it did in Brawl. As well as the dash attack! I want that to function as it did in Brawl as well and have far less cool down frames. I want the cartwheel to become one of Diddy's approach options yet again. Doesn't make sense that out of the two Kongs currently in, DK has the better rolling attack.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Same here. Diddy was my absolute most wanted character ever since Smash 64 honestly. I was already kinda upset that the Ness silhouette wasn't Diddy. Then imagine me being upset with his absense in Melee, still doesn't make sense to me.

Diddy is obviously still my favorite character in gaming ever. I named myself after him on here, and various other sites. On here I did it out of 'protest' of Diddy not being in Melee, as a kind reminder to all that he should've been included back in the day.

As for his moveset, I wouldn't change much either. I just hope N Air packs more of a punch , and U Air becomes a better combo move or finishing move. F Air can also pack more of a punch than what it did in the latest patched versions cause originally it was SOOO damn satisfying. I want it to function like it did in Brawl. As well as the dash attack! I want that to function as it did in Brawl as well and have far less cool down frames. I want the cartwheel to become one of Diddy's approach options yet again. Doesn't make sense that out of the two Kongs currently in, DK has the better rolling attack.
Yeah what I meant by "I wouldn't change anything from his moveset" is just that I wouldn't change the animations or the philosophy behind the design, but I'm fine with the attack values and stuff to be changed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah what I meant by "I wouldn't change anything from his moveset" is just that I wouldn't change the animations or the philosophy behind the design, but I'm fine with the attack values and stuff to be changed.
Same here! All his moves fit, tho I was innitially a little upset that Diddy didn't use any tail attacks besides his waggle for AAA. Cause he used his tail in a lot of attacks in DK64, and Diddy seemed to be based on that appearance most. But am fine with it now! Just hope for a less gimpable recovery and a better dash attack property, then I'll be satisfied. Cause it's likely they are gonna nerf Diddy a little due to all the damn complaints he received in Smash 4. :glare:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Same here! All his moves fit, tho I was innitially a little upset that Diddy didn't use any tail attacks besides his waggle for AAA. Cause he used his tail in a lot of attacks in DK64, and Diddy seemed to be based on that appearance most. But am fine with it now! Just hope for a less gimpable recovery and a better dash attack property, then I'll be satisfied. Cause it's likely they are gonna nerf Diddy a little due to all the damn complaints he received in Smash 4. :glare:
I mean, he was really good in Smash 4 lol.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I really don't like his Smash design that much. But his moveset is almost perfect. Also I would love to his voice to be changed

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, he was really good in Smash 4 lol.
So he was in Brawl. He was also a Top Tier there. I see no reason to nerf him just because his overall design is good. Just look at how bad Marth was innitially in Smash 4, they buffed him back to be just around his Brawl-usefulness. I don't see they should nerf Diddy hard, cause they buffed him with patches as well when he was nerfed to become EXTREMELY unsafe on shield. Thanks to that, Diddy is still a Top Tier till this day.

In general, I don't think they'll change the Top Tiers all that much unless they need a serious moveset overhaul. Diddy doesn't really need that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So he was in Brawl. He was also a Top Tier there. I see no reason to nerf him just because his overall design is good. Just look at how bad Marth was innitially in Smash 4, they buffed him back to be just around his Brawl-usefulness. I don't see they should nerf Diddy hard, cause they buffed him with patches as well when he was nerfed to become EXTREMELY unsafe on shield. Thanks to that, Diddy is still a Top Tier till this day.

In general, I don't think they'll change the Top Tiers all that much unless they need a serious moveset overhaul. Diddy doesn't really need that.
Changes will come it happens for each game to deal with new mechanics, physics, and design philosphy. Diddy Kong's changes depend on what the next game looks like.

That being said, if this does end up as Smash 4 DX, Diddy is going to be far more likely to get nerfs than any buffs.

If I'm looking at his design now, all I would do is buff upair back to its previous power (why change it if down throws usefulness is gone?) also bring back the old fair, and nerf uptilt, and upsmash a little. Diddy Kong should be more aerial orientated imo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True. Nerfs seem more likely than buffs. However, Diddy has gone through enough patches and I think they settled with a certain design for his moveset. It's just the same with other Top Tier characters, some characters are just better design-wise than others. Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus and Diddy are great examples of this.

He shouldn't be nerfed just because. Cause that makes no sense.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
True. Nerfs seem more likely than buffs. However, Diddy has gone through enough patches and I think they settled with a certain design for his moveset. It's just the same with other Top Tier characters, some characters are just better design-wise than others. Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus and Diddy are great examples of this.

He shouldn't be nerfed just because. Cause that makes no sense.
I really don't believe that some characters are just better design wise than others, I think the reason why many of those characters tend to end up near the top of the tier lists each time around is because the team overestimated their weaknesses. Like really, what weakness is Diddy suppose to have, because he doesn't really lack in any specific area.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really don't believe that some characters are just better design wise than others, I think the reason why many of those characters tend to end up near the top of the tier lists each time around is because the team overestimated their weaknesses. Like really, what weakness is Diddy suppose to have, because he doesn't really lack in any specific area.
Gimpable recovery? Without Hoo-Hah or having his kill setups, or Banana > F Smash it takes quite long time to finish opponents up at times. At least, it was more apperant in Brawl. D Tilt to U Smash was a great finisher in Smash 4.

Then again, faster and less durable characters also need kill power in their moveset.

But yes, there's a definite factor in play of how a character is designed and how effective it'll preform. Just compare the characters I mentoined earlier to Zelda, Ganondorf and Samus for example, who all fail to preform at least 2 games in a row by now.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Gimpable recovery? Without Hoo-Hah or having his kill setups, or Banana > F Smash it takes quite long time to finish opponents up at times. At least, it was more apperant in Brawl. D Tilt to U Smash was a great finisher in Smash 4.

Then again, faster and less durable characters also need kill power in their moveset.

But yes, there's a definite factor in play of how a character is designed and how effective it'll preform. Just compare the characters I mentoined earlier to Zelda, Ganondorf and Samus for example, who all fail to preform at least 2 games in a row by now.
Recovery is way better than most characters. Up special tilted takes you way farther with less of a charge, and side b gives you additional options. Also he has good jump height, and a wall cling.

And for Zelda, Ganondorf, and Samus it's not the kit that makes them do badly it's the specific numbers behind their attacks. Samus suffers from some wonky hitboxes, poor frame data, and lack of kill confirms, all of which can be alleviated if given attention, but for some reason he assumed she was way better than she was (remember before the official release he claimed she was the best character in the game) and we ended up with the mid/low tier version instead. Give her missiles that can kill, fix hitboxes, buff a couple attacks and you got yourself a top tier. It's not the design that's wrong, it's how he balances it.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I'd change about Diddy in Smash switch would be to make him aesthetically closer to his Tropical Freeze appearance.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All I want is some reference to Diddy Kong Racing, be it in his moveset or just a throwable green balloon item.
I really don't think this is gonna happen, unless Diddy Kong Racing 2 is gonna release soon. Then again, we haven't heard of this game just rumors of it... If it's ever gonna happen, E3 would be a great timing for it. DKR is a beloved game, and a sequel would sell like hot cakes.

I also sort of want the Peanut Popgun changed to dual Peanut Popguns much like how they acted in DK64. The way Diddy uses the Peanut Popgun since Brawl represents more or less the way how King K.Rool used the Blunderbuss in DKC2, even the animation of the gun blowing up resembles that boss fight. I would much prefer if K.Rool would get the Blunderbuss as his Neutral Special therefore and it acts much like a heavier and stronger version of the Peanut Popgun, but with super armour and knockback similar to Bowser Jr.'s Canonball.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Our boy is BACK

diddy kong ssbu.png

This can remain the official hype/wishlist/prerelease/speculation thread. It's a real shame he wasn't playable in the demo so we didn't get any sort of further look at the character. Very excited to see how he stands up with the new mechanic changes, obviously every character is going to have a much more threatening neutral game thanks to the changes to acting out of a run, but Diddy's running dtilt already stands out to me as one of the most threatening things in the game.

What's everybody hoping for in Ultimate?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah shame he's not playable, but it's no bother. The final product is what counts anyway. And as far as I see, no fundamental moveset changes outside maybe getting a 'gentleman' in our AAA combo, which is great. Rather have no tail moves than that waggle attack anyway.

DTilt has always been great yeah and I don't expect nerfs to it, neither to F Air, B Air or D Air. I actually sort of hope N Air and U Air get buffed. At least more priority and damage on N Air (a move which is greatly underused anyway). And U Air also needs to have more damage, as just 6% just doesn't cut it, and it's just about THE MOST nerfed move in Smash 4 patch history.

I also hope Dash Attack becomes as useful as in Brawl yet again, but by the looks of it, it'll work like it did in Smash 4. At least am hoping for it to speed up, have a little more range and less lag. Diddy's cartwheel was always superior to DK's roll, so kinda hoping to see that still in Ultimate. Kinda hope his recovery also won't be as bad as in Smash 4.

But as far as I've seen, most Top Tiers remain Top Tier. Mario, Fox, Bayonetta, Cloud, Mewtwo, Marth, Sheik.. all seem to remain very solid characters. I have no reason to expect huge nerfs from Diddy. Especially since he was already adressed in Smash 4, and the most complaints in the last year and a half or so where from characters as Sheik, Cloud and Bayonetta. To me it seems Diddy should be relatively safe.

Neutral is gonna be fun, but the whole focus on a more offensive neutral game would actually benefit Diddy I expect. We're gonna need to change up our approach slightly, less waiting, more taking chances.

D

Deleted member

As long as true HOOH HAA isn't back I'll be happy. I ain't competitive but it was annoying to run across online prior to the nerf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don’t think so, because I never used Discord...

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
How do I unlock Diddy in Ultimate via Classic mode?

There is conflicting info between IGN and Eventhubs!!

I need my main!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How do I unlock Diddy in Ultimate via Classic mode?

There is conflicting info between IGN and Eventhubs!!

I need my main!
Still no avail to me either. Seems he's one of the more random characters that pop up after random VS matches. Which is a shame, cause I already got King K.Rool, and Diddy is the only missing DKC character </3

EDIT: GOT HIM! It's quite easy actually. First beat Classic with Sheik, and you'll get challenged by Greninja. If you beat Greninja, do Classic with him. If not, do Classic again with Sheik. That's how I got him.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Giving this thread a bit of a bump. Been playing a lot of Co-op online with my friend who exclusively plays Rool. I've been giving Diddy a try, and although he isn't the same as the last two games, I'm still having a blast with him.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Bad news fellow players, the "pyramid scheme" got patched.

Well this won't change much for me but it does seem like this might hurt Diddy's competitive status.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys, I run the Nintendo Game of the Week thread. This week we're talking about Donkey Kong Country.

Since it's Diddy's debut game, I thought you guys might be interested. Here's a link to the thread.

Top Bottom