• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y'all in for a Hurtin'! Arizona from Them's Fightin' Herds for Ultimate DLC!

D

Deleted member

79589081-507f-496d-8dff-04119952dc0f.png

What is Them's Fightin' Herds?
Them’s Fightin’ Herds is a 2D Fighting game for Windows/Mac/Linux with adorable animals in an original universe designed by Lauren Faust. Beneath the cute and cuddly surface lies one hell of a serious and mechanically deep fighter.

Why Them's Fightin' Herds in Smash?
Well, it's quite simple: we need more diversity in the Smash cast. A Them's Fightin' Herds rep would be something new and exciting for the Smash roster.

Why Arizona in particular?
While any of the game's six characters would be great additions to the Smash cast, Arizona seems to be the "main character" of the game. She's the easiest to pick up and learn, and she is the star of the first chapter of the game's story mode.

So, what about the Moveset?
Well, since Them's Fightin' Herds is a fighting game, she conveniently already has most of her moveset made for her. However, in adapting it for Smash, I decided to take a few creative liberties.

Arizona won't have as many variations on her moves as Ryu, Ken, or Terry. She'll still have some, but not as many. She's a bit more of a "conventional" Smasher.
You can find Arizona's TFH Command List Here, and a more concise visual of the moveset here.

Jab Tap: 5A (Can be tapped repeatedly for rapid use)

Jab Hold: 5B

Dash Attack: 6B

Side Tilt: 5C

Up Tilt: 6A

Down Tilt Tap: 2A

Down Tilt Hold: 2B

Side Smash: Headbuck A (Input attack button a second time to chain it into a Headbuck B)

Up Smash: 3C

Down Smash: Stomp B

Neutral Air: jA

Forward Air: jB

Back Air: also jB, but flipped to face backwards, slower, and slightly harder-hitting than the forward air version.

Up Air: a sort of upside-down variation of jC. It's much faster to come out than the down air version, and with wider range (covering nearly a full half circle above Arizona), but it only hits once and has much more landing lag (although the air lag is reduced).

Down Air: jC (can meteor smash)

Pummel: Arizona doles out light headbutts while holding the grabbed opponent with her two front hooves. This is basically the only completely improvised move in Arizona's entire Smash kit.

Forward Throw: 6B+C

Back Throw: 4B+C

Up Throw: jB+C (drags opponent up into the air like Kirby's side throws)

Down Throw: Arizona slams the opponent on the ground and follows up with 2C

Neutral Special: Magic Stomp

Side Special Tap: Headbuck C

Side Special Hold: Magic Headbuck (Basically an armored but more laggy version of her normal side special)

Up Special (Grounded): Forward-Angled Lasso (Command Grab)

Up Special (Air): Upward-Angled Lasso (Homes in on Stage Ledges, and grabs airborne opponents within range)

Down Special - Magic Counter (Defensive state lasts 20 frames instead of 15)

Final Smash - Level 3 Super (not implemented into the game as of yet)

Arizona's Unique mechanics: While Arizona doesn't have any fighting-game command specials like Ryu, Ken, or Terry, she does have a few unique tricks up her sleeve.

Cross-Canter: Arizona doesn't have a traditional Perfect Shield. If she successfully perfect shields, Arizona will unleash a moderately damaging attack with some good knockback instead. However, there are some risks that come with it. For one, it takes a few frames to come out, meaning that if an opponent predicts your parry correctly, they can actually block it. It does do a good chunk of shield damage however. Secondly, and much more importantly, it leaves Arizona open for a noticeable amount of time, which is definitely a problem if used in free-for-alls, team battles, or against any opponent with low enough damage. It's especially risky against heavyweight characters, since they're not affected by knockback as much and may be able to easily trap Arizona in a combo. However, in the right situation, it can be VERY useful.

Push Block: The Cross-Canter isn't the only special defensive option Arizona's got. She's also got her Push Block. It's performed within the same time window as a Perfect Shield, but instead of letting go of the shield button, you continue to hold it while tapping the Special button. If successful, the opponent will take 2% of nonflinching damage and be pushed back QUITE far. The effects of this are basically the opposite of the Cross-Canter: while the Cross-Canter is a powerful defense-into-offense tactic, Arizona's Push Block gives a heftier amount of breathing room. In battle, it's wise to gauge the situation and decide whether a Cross-Canter, Push Block, or just a regular dodge would be the best choice.

Special Food Conditions: Arizona will refuse to eat any non-vegetarian food items. She will instead kick them away. While this doesn't deal any damage, it CAN trip up opponents, so that's a very niche opportunity for casual team battles. This one is really more of an Easter Egg than an actual mechanic, though.

Well, I think that's just about all! If you support Arizona in Smash, make sure to let me know, and Support Arizona on Global Smash Roster!

Supporters:

@GothFluttershy
T Trevenant
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
Glaciacott Glaciacott
Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
ninjahmos ninjahmos
GenoDoge GenoDoge
Sean Wheeler Sean Wheeler

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
That seems interesting. I'll bite. The only potential concern I see is that it has a lack of special moves for a character from a fighting game but no real hangups otherwise to me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That seems interesting. I'll bite. The only potential concern I see is that it has a lack of special moves for a character from a fighting game but no real hangups otherwise to me
If you're worried about a lack of specials you probably didn't check out the magic section lol

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If you're worried about a lack of specials you probably didn't check out the magic section lol
Oh, I thought magic was part of some kind of super mode. I've never really played the game although I was aware of it through EVO. Pretty funny either way lol

D

Deleted member

Oh, I thought magic was part of some kind of super mode. I've never really played the game although I was aware of it through EVO. Pretty funny either way lol
Yeah, Magic attacks are basically alternative specials. The magic moves use up a meter in TFH but I think that would be done away with if they put Arizona in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From my understanding, since they couldn't actually make a MLP fighting game, they redid the whole thing and it was inspired by the characters, right?

Either way, I don't know much about the game. Is Arizona supposed to be Applejack's counterpart/inspired by her?

BTW, you could probably put the specials/magic attacks in a spoiler if you wanted~

D

Deleted member

From my understanding, since they couldn't actually make a MLP fighting game, they redid the whole thing and it was inspired by the characters, right?

Either way, I don't know much about the game. Is Arizona supposed to be Applejack's counterpart/inspired by her?

BTW, you could probably put the specials/magic attacks in a spoiler if you wanted~
Yeah, that's what happened. Arizona is indeed Applejack's counterpart.
And I'll get to putting the specials in a spoiler tomorrow. I've been awake for 36 hours straight lol

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Velvet or bust!

Seriously though, I hope this game's current success continues and that we eventually see it grow into switch, sequels and greater popularity. Only thing keeping me from playing it constantly is my struggle with traditional fighters and their cursed tap jump.

D

Deleted member

So, while Arizona has plenty of alternate color schemes in Them's Fightin' Herds, most of them are references to external media instead of being original color palletes. While that's fine for the context of TFH, I feel that it should be different for Smash. So, I made 5 pallete swaps based on the other characters in her game of origin, while the other alternate colors are two of her few TFH skins that actually ARE completely original.
a9260dba-aee1-421d-a2bb-edf9323083b7.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One gameplay mechanic they'd need to implement to remain lore friendly is for her to refuse to eat non-vegetarian foods. Maybe give her a little animation where she kicks it away instead, denying the opponent it.

D

Deleted member

One gameplay mechanic they'd need to implement to remain lore friendly is for her to refuse to eat non-vegetarian foods. Maybe give her a little animation where she kicks it away instead, denying the opponent it.
Oh that would be really funny lmao

D

Deleted member

Sorry for double posting, but I think this is important to the thread
I've made a complete Smash Moveset concept for Arizona, including some unique defensive mechanics. You can find the whole thing in the spoiler at the top post!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh my goodness. I need to play this game so badly. Supported.

D

Deleted member

Oh my goodness. I need to play this game so badly. Supported.
And done! You're up in the supporters list. I'm so glad this thread is gaining traction.

Also, I made a playlist of the songs I'd like to see if Arizona made it in. Them's Fightin' Herds has a PHENOMENAL soundtrack, so if you have the chance, I'd highly recommend you take a listen to the selection I've picked out. While Smash wouldn't be able to have the game's ENTIRE soundtrack, due to the special dynamic music system in TFH, this list covers most songs that have no dynamic variations. Happy Listening!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’ve never played this game, and I know nothing about it. Although, it looks kinda like My Little Pony. Also, I just found out that Arizona is voiced by Tara Strong, who voices Twilight Sparkle from MLP. But anyway it seems like an interesting fighting game. Count me in!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ve never played this game, and I know nothing about it. Although, it looks kinda like My Little Pony. Also, I just found out that Arizona is voiced by Tara Strong, who voices Twilight Sparkle from MLP. But anyway it seems like an interesting fighting game. Count me in!
Alright I think I should address this now

The dev team of TFH doesn't want the game to be associated with MLP anymore. Long story, but the basic lowdown of it is that they made a fangame, got C&D'ed by Hasbro, Lauren Faust made original new characters for them, and the rest is history. The dev team wants this project to be completely separate from their previous one, which is why comparisons to MLP bug me a bit.

But I digress. Welcome to the thread

D

Deleted member

Sorry for double posting (again) but
We survived a Mii Wave! She may be unlikely, but at least Arizona's still in the running at all

Edit: this thread is deader than a doornail lol

D

Deleted member

damn dude this thread is dead

i really wish it wasn't

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
While I'd prefer Tianhuo or Oleander, Arizona would be great! Them's Fightin' Herds is an amazing game and to see it in Smash would be surreal. There's nothing really stopping her from getting in, since Cloud and Joker have proven a lack of Nintendo prescence isn't an issue. Them's Fightin' Herds is also pretty popular, since it was even going to be at EVO (which, I know the allegations, but it is still a big event) when Smasn wasn't even there. Just hope Nintendo wouldn't see two female fighting game characters as redunt in one pass (Min Min and Arizona).

D

Deleted member

While I'd prefer Tianhuo or Oleander, Arizona would be great! Them's Fightin' Herds is an amazing game and to see it in Smash would be surreal. There's nothing really stopping her from getting in, since Cloud and Joker have proven a lack of Nintendo prescence isn't an issue. Them's Fightin' Herds is also pretty popular, since it was even going to be at EVO (which, I know the allegations, but it is still a big event) when Smasn wasn't even there. Just hope Nintendo wouldn't see two female fighting game characters as redunt in one pass (Min Min and Arizona).
I doubt they would see it as redundant considering the fact that Fighters Pass 1 had 3 JRPG Protagonists

Also thank you for reviving the thread

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I doubt they would see it as redundant considering the fact that Fighters Pass 1 had 3 JRPG Protagonists

Also thank you for reviving the thread
No problem. I'm pretty sad this place is so dead too. My main fear is that we get a Them's Fightin' Herds spirit event, because that would practically end Arizona's chances. If she doesn't get in Ultimate, hopefully she'll get in Smash 6 since TFH will likely be a bigger franchise by then.

There's still four slots left, so hopefully fate and luck are on our side. I wonder what her reveal tagline would be? What Mii costumes would she bring (I definitely could see a Fred Mii hat happening)?

Another thing I've wondered is if they would create a 3D model for her or if they would go the Steve route and keep her 2D cartoony look.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No problem. I'm pretty sad this place is so dead too. My main fear is that we get a Them's Fightin' Herds spirit event, because that would practically end Arizona's chances. If she doesn't get in Ultimate, hopefully she'll get in Smash 6 since TFH will likely be a bigger franchise by then.

There's still four slots left, so hopefully fate and luck are on our side. I wonder what her reveal tagline would be? What Mii costumes would she bring (I definitely could see a Fred Mii hat happening)?

Another thing I've wondered is if they would create a 3D model for her or if they would go the Steve route and keep her 2D cartoony look.
I'd say 3D Model considering how good the official plushes look

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to drop by to keep this place semi-alive. Nothing has come up to give evidence to Arizona in Smash yet, but at least there's no evidence she's not in!

Just imagine we live in the universe where Ryu, Ken, Terry, Min Min, and Arizona can all be in a battle at the same time. I hope that's our universe!

EDIT: There's this site which has been going around which is basically a fan poll where users can vote for multiple characters they want to see in Smash. Arizona is on there with 31 votes!

Oleander has 19 votes, Paprika has 17 votes, Velvet has 16 votes, Shanty has 8 votes, Pom has 6 votes, Tianhuo has 5 votes, and Cashmere (yes, the shopkeeper) has 2 votes.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Hmm... A game that started out as a My Little Pony fangame but became it's own thing when Hasbro sued the developers, forcing them to change all the ponies into original characters, leaving only Lauren Faust's artstyle as what's left resembling MLP? Sure, the character that was originally Applejack can be in Smash. We've got Hero designed by Goku's creator. We've got Ivysaur and the Duck Hunt dog as fighters.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... A game that started out as a My Little Pony fangame but became it's own thing when Hasbro sued the developers, forcing them to change all the ponies into original characters, leaving only Lauren Faust's artstyle as what's left resembling MLP? Sure, the character that was originally Applejack can be in Smash. We've got Hero designed by Goku's creator. We've got Ivysaur and the Duck Hunt dog as fighters.
And Arizona is actually voiced by Tara Strong, who voiced Twilight Sparkle, too!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It would have been funnier if she was voiced by Ashleigh Ball, the same person who voiced Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and used her same Applejack voice.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: There's this site which has been going around which is basically a fan poll where users can vote for multiple characters they want to see in Smash. Arizona is on there with 31 votes!

Oleander has 19 votes, Paprika has 17 votes, Velvet has 16 votes, Shanty has 8 votes, Pom has 6 votes, Tianhuo has 5 votes, and Cashmere (yes, the shopkeeper) has 2 votes.
Funny you should mention that. I was the one who added the characters to the site!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
31 votes on there is very low. She was already beaten by two Star Wars characters and a LEGO man long before I can find her!

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
31 votes on there is very low. She was already beaten by two Star Wars characters and a LEGO man long before I can find her!
Yeah. I think the main issue is that there MIGHT be more people who would want Arizona in, but they don't know where to voice their support. One example is this thread might be more active if some of the 31 voters on the poll were also here. I'm thinking it would help too if Gothfluttershy put the poll for Arizona in the main post.

Also, I thought the poll disallowed fourth party characters because of Sakurai's video games only rule.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't see Goku. But I think Starkiller and Kyle Katarn got in for debuting in Star Wars video games. However Starkiller is more of a video game character than Kyle because he only appeared in Force Unleashed tie-ins, Soul Calibur and LEGO Star Wars while Kyle has a lot more Expanded Universe appearances. And that LEGO man was Bill Ding from LEGO Island.

Anyway, Arizona, the cow that was originally Applejack could make a good addition to Smash.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Wanted to drop by again to keep this place a little active. Glad to see you put the Global Smash Roster listing for her in the main post! I still need to vote for her there (because I think I'll need an account there and haven't had time yet).

I hope support for Arizona continues to grow! I would love to know how much Them's Fightin' Herds has sold so I could do some math to try figure out how many play TFH and Smash both.

Still hoping she gets in! Probably my second most wanted behind Geno. I also realized that if she gets in, Sakurai will be able to talk about TFH in the Sakurai Presents!

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Whoa, I had no idea there were people that actually want this to happen. I think it would be awesome, sadly I don't see it as very likely, and I really hate to say that.

Top Bottom