• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y-Town Throwdown I - Results and Shoutouts

Get Low

Smash Ace
Loved this tournament. I played so swell.

Shoutouts:
Freky - Thank you for hosting this! Ditch P:M next time.
Pat: I'm sorry that you basically had to run the tournament. You're still hot tho. Youngstown's 2nd best Peach. ;)
KittyMW - You and Pat should have placed betterrrrrr. I should not be placing higher than you guys. Love you tho.
Jwnz - Thanks for showing up to do doubles with me. <3 We had a good run, imo.
Team Samus - You guys are awesome. Shoutouts to 7 minute and 55 second matches on Dreamland.
Sweet - Thank you so much for running P:M. And I'm super sorry about the parking ticket. I only beat you because Tonya was by my side. :D
S1 - You're a lot nicer in real life than you are on the internet. ;D Stop being amazing against Peach.
Carroll - Can we go back to 2012 when you got hit by all the Dsmashes plz? Also, congratulations on winning Tonya's heart with all da money.
X - Can't believe I took a game off of you. I'm mad good against Sheik, though. Your Fox is solid.
PB&J - Nice Fox. I like the shield flickering thing you do. :D
Beanwolf - I hate to say it but I under-estimated you. You're very solid for only being around for a short while.
Aaron - Keep at it, man. We'll train you up in the back room and you'll be taking names in no time.
The rest of the kids in my pool - You all got that potential: Stick with it!
CJLoZ - GGs in bracket. And good stuff making it to bracket at your first tourney.
Jesiah - Ouch.
Ramen - Your Marth is solid, dude. And good stuff making it to bracket at your first tourney. Hope to see you again soon.
A Nub - Shoutouts to you for being a nub.
Derf - Derf<3
TM - Keep on wrecking people with Ganon. I hope I get to play against it soon.
Dave The Bowser Guy - I'm lovin' the Bowser. Don't ever play a different character.

And shoutouts to the rest of my friends, old and new. Long live Melee. <3

Oh yeah, and shoutouts to my lovely girlfriend Tonya for coming to see me at a stinky smelly Melee tourney.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
That's so typical. I would just get my Twix and run the hell out of there.

ALSO, I left a pair of headphones at the venue! Any way I could get them back??
yeah dude we have them. I could bring it to you next time you come to something? or I can mail them to you or something

a nub

Smash Ace
Hell of a trip coming down from rochester but I had fun and we kinda put in work ;). Just wish we didn't get kicked out at the end though, I was busy westballzing lol

Shoutouts in particular to:
4% - You're awesome man, nice meeting you. Also I got kinda wrecked lol
Green Ranger - Sick ass DK. Pittsburgh is far but I'd definitely like to make it out there. I'll talk to the rest of WNY sometime and see if it's a possibility
Paradigm - Good stuff clutching it out in the end. I got samus sniped so hard
Hanky Panky - So much exposure. So tough to play against good peaches but damn if it isn't good practice
Dempt - aaa extra salty about game 1. ggs though, maybe next time lol
The rest of my pool - ggs everyone. I was pretty focused on bracket after, definitely should've played you guys in some friendlies though. I think Etwas in particular, I owe you falco practice if we're ever at the same tourney again
teams pyro and I beat - lololol get wrecked by roy/falco :troll:
Shrouded One - lmao why not an extra shoutout on smashboards cuz HOLY CRAP IT'S JAIYE I MISSED YOU MANG NO HETERO

Jesus+1

Strawhat Pirate
3DS FC
0705-3756-2752
First off, I was Jesus+1 at the tournament, I had the NOFX hoodie :3
I wanna make some shout outs to some people for making my first non Gamestop tournament a lot of fun. Being able to place 9th in PM after only playing it for only a little over a month gives me hope to get a lot better and motivates me to make it to more tournaments in or near Ohio.

Freky/GetLow/KittyMW/Pat- Thank you all so much for being able to run this tournament, the end was pretty sketchy with the time, but it turned out well. looking forward to the next tournament I see you guys at, hopefully it's more chill for everyone and we can play some friendlies next time.
Vanz- Your PM Samus was the best I've ever seen, you were really friendly and a great person to talk to all around, congrats on your tie with Mango, hope to see you again.
PBnJ- Thanks a lot for the new controllers you sold my brother, my C-stick broke at some point during the day of the tournament and using one of your new ones saved the day for me, it was nice meeting you and I'm looking forward to talk to you about the tournament on Twitch next time I see you on.
(Smash Famous) Sweet- Thanks for helping me out a lot finding who I had to fight for PM bracket, seems like it was pretty stressful, but you did a good job man. You're a cool dude, and a great smasher.
Jynx- It was great meeting you and your friend and his brother, it's cool to know that there are smashers that pretty live close to me.
Time Smash- It was cool meeting someone that I've played PM on Wifi with and met on Twitch, hopefully we meet up at another tournament sometime.
Mordicon- We only played a few friendlies, but your Marth and overall play style really stood out to me so I felt you deserved a shoutout.
Friendly Neighborhood Bowser- 110% props to you man for playing Bowser for the whole pool, and one my of my goals was to play Mute City in a set, and you made that happen <3
Doc G- We had a really good Mario/Doc match in pools that I had a lot of fun with.
Solace One- You came up to me and my buddy and you were talking to us about the NEOH/PGH Facebook group, and something about our conversation made my friend say he wants to learn how to play competitive smash, so thanks dude lol
PGH Carroll - We didn't get to talk to much, but you have the kind of energy the smash community needs, and watching your Fox was crazy as ****.
Pool 8- My whole plan for Melee pools was to play Falco and do good, but that's what like 5 of you guys thought too so it was pretty rough lol, a lot of you guys were extremely good and I wasn't expecting my pool to be that tough, good games though.
JESUS- We had a good set in PM bracket, but one of my favorite things to tell my friend is that (me) Jesus+1 beat Jesus in bracket lol.
4%- You played great ever time I was watching your games, also, you you were the only to person to say they liked my hoodie so thanks man. :p
Nicaboy- Thanks for knocking me out of PM bracket with that crazy Sheik, definitely gonna keep an eye out for your name.
Hanky Panky- I wish I could've played better in our PM set, but that stitch face you got me with was amazing.
Green Ranger- I didn't get a chance to talk to you or play against you, but if your DK had it's own religion, I would worship it.
DLX- Had a fun set in PM against your Lucario, thanks for helping me understand how Lucario's neutral B works because I never knew before then.

Also, one last shoutout to everyone that made it to the event and had such a great turnout, I'll be back for more tournaments in the future. :)

Last edited:

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
This was a very nice tournament. It was nice meeting everyone, and playing all the people I played. Got the chance to take some notes on things.

1: Mango ($506) - It's always a joy to see you, even if I end up not watching any of your matches, lol. Congrats on first as always.

2: Abate ($253) - Congrats on 2nd. I really enjoyed our set in bracket. When I saw I had to play you second round, I was like, "Oh Abate of all people?" I'm glad I didn't just flail and get bodied. Hope to play you more in the future.

3: 4% ($190) - We still haven't played a single match. We need to get on that. Good job this tournament.

4: JesiahTEG ($126) - Jesse, it was a blast playing you again. Our matches were fun (that 4 stock you got on me on FD reminds me of when I was like 4 months into this game and you used to 4 stock me a lot more regularly, and make me sad). Hope you and the rest of WNY comes out to more of these Ohio/PGH tournies.

5: Hanky Panky ($64) - Nice job making bracket this time. ;) We didn't play, but it was good seeing you again.

7: Gravy ($32) - Dude, I had heard of how good you were from WNY, but I didn't know it was this real. Great job, and I hope we actually get to play friendlies next time you guys come out.

9: Vanz - Sorry to see you this low. :( Hopefully the next time we meet, I can try to restore some of your love for Melee with some Peach dittos?

9: Taki - GGs in pools. I could feel game three on the tips of my fingers, but alas, you played it better than I in those last moments. Next time, for sure.

13: Green Ranger - I enjoyed our pre tourney friendlies. You're really cool, and your DK is quite, quite good (though I'm sure you know this). I really want to play more friendlies with you in the future.

13: PGH Carroll - Still Carroll, I see.

13: S1 - Did Taki really say that? Lol. I'm not so sure, but we should have a set next time, in any case.

17: Pyro - This Roy player, lol. I shouldn't have gone Marth in that one friendly we had, but I thought we'd get to play more! And yeah, Ohio is free. Nice to see you out here, though. Hopefully you guys come back soon.

17: Get Low - I was the lowest placing Peach. Just let that sink in for a bit. I sure am.

17: PBnJ - I liked the friendlies we had. You've got pretty good character diversity.

17: Dempt - We didn't play (thankfully), but good job nonetheless. Especially for not really playing recently.

25: Inty - You could've at least done better than 25th if you were going to try against me. :| But I guess I get it. You know you love Melee, though. Anyways, it was so good seeing you again, and playing. I'll catch you this side of the country again, yes?

25: soap - Nice job, Natti. Especially since you only just returned. Thanks for the ride, this was a pretty good tourney.

25: Sweet - Like I told you that day, your Ivysaur is very good. I think you're the only person who I did worse against 2nd game in PM, too. I'm fairly good at catching onto the PM tricks, but Ivysaur is a bit harder to crack (along with you knowing her very well).

25: Pat - Eh? What's with this low placing? You know better. We haven't played in tourney since that one Goast House long ago. We should fix this.

25: KittyMW - We never ever play, lol. I think you could've gotten higher too, but this bracket was kind of thick, so it's understandable.

25: Anub - Yo, it was nice seeing you guys again. I loved playing against aggressive Falco again. Such a breath of fresh air to play vs someone who isn't afraid to run at me (though you know you need to calm that ish down vs this *****, right?) I hope WNY comes out to more of these and do as well.

33: ShroudedOne - Just remember that the number is irrelevant, so long as you played well and learned a lot.

33: Gunpunch - In retrospect, I kinda played a lot more reserved than I thought I would. Sorry about being lame. All the same, I loved our set. I like fighting Samus a lot. I hope to get more games with you in the future, since we never play.

33: Ramen - This was your first tournament? Wow. You impressed me in pools, it seems like you've been playing a bit longer than that. Keep it up.

33: Nips - Our set made me realize some things about Sheik in particular. And the next time I throw away a stitchface because dummy Taki tells me to, please win the set.

33: Beanwolf - Ah, nice job making bracket with a new Sheik. So long as you enjoy the character and do well with her, that's all that counts.

33: Nitro Glycerin - Nitro, it was so amazing seeing you again. And you're quite nice in PM. Forgive me for the second set we played. I considered just giving you the first outcome, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue, but then I decided that I did. And well we'd already played before, so I suppose I had a bit more knowledge of what to do. Next time you come out, we should play more PM (and Melee too).

Also, shoutouts to Rob for watching my 13 minute set with Gunpunch (I'm sorry, but you and I both know Peach/Samus takes a long time). It was nice having an old mentor of sorts watch my sets with Gunpunch/Abate. :D

And shoutouts to Foy. Our friendlies earlier were really fun, and I learned a good deal from them. But you DEFINITELY should've gotten out of pools. What happened?

Shoutouts to Freky/Chris/Pat/Sweet for helping the tournament run as well as possible, considering all the events. It was a blast and hopefully there'll be more like this in the future.

Max: Don't mess around in pools, dummy! Was nice playing you/seeing you.

Eli: I hear you had a rough pool. Sorry to hear that. You could've made it out for sure.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Derf: NEXT TIME WE PLAY, I WILL DESTROY YOUR IC'S. I'M TALKING 4-STOCK! It was nice to see you again bud :)
It is my dream, that one day you will 4-stock me with ease. But that ain't happening anytime soon :p

Freky/GetLow/KittyMW/and whoever else was running the tournament- Thank you all so much for being able to run this tournament, the end was pretty sketchy with the time, but it turned out well. looking forward to the next tournament I see you guys at, hopefully it's more chill for everyone and we can play some friendlies next time.
poor pat.

Max: Don't mess around in pools, dummy! Was nice playing you/seeing you.
I know, next time I'll make you proud! <3

max: sorry for putting you in a hard pool :(
no worries babe, so many out of state people there was no way to tell who was good and who wasn't. Major props for doing as good a job holding things together as you could. You really saved this tournament.
We need to collab sometime, we'd run a dope tourney. Without SS bull**** and PM :p

Last edited:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
First off, great games to everyone I played whether you beat me, or I won, or whatever the cirumstances were. ESPECIALLY to the new players that looked discouraged after our matches. GG's to you most of all, because it's going to happen to you over and over in the beginning, so the reason I go all out vs you guys is because I've learned that, there are 2 types of dedicated Melee players. The first type is the type that loves the game but hates getting beaten badly worse than anything, and they'll keep playing over the years but always feel negative about it it to some extent unless they can overcome it. The second type of person is the person that views getting ***** really really badly is inspiring, and goes home with motivation to be able to move like that, execute like that, etc. And I personally always hope for the latter. :)

To Freky, could you change my name to FLOW|Jesiah please? I forgot to enter with that name, but I also find it very humorous that I entered as "Jesiah" but somehow ended up in results as "JesiahTEG." Hahaha...Guess it's just my name. :)

4: JesiahTEG ($126) - dude it was awesome to see you come out to this! Impressed that you still were able to place so well.
Derf- Thanks man. I'm hopin to go out of state much more, and Ohio is awesome. Don't know if your second sentence is genuine or a backhanded compliment, but for what ever reason you have I'm glad that you're impressed. :)

Jesiah: dude, watching your marth game was sick. the play style seems so confident it was fun to watch. hopefully i can get better and really money match you for real haha
Dude no lie, for the time I was on your TV and the few others I was hopping around within that like hour and a half-2 hour span, i was playing out of my mind good LOL. That might be the best I've EVER played vs anyone out of state in my entire career, so I'M SUPER glad you got to see it because I can tell you felt hype and inspired. You're mad cool dude, and you can definitely get better...But don't worry, I'll always play for free if you want to haha.

Jesiah: Your marth scares me. Just get out of my head. I want to apologize for pausing during our match -- the TO was trying to get my attention for whatever reason during a tourney match and I wasn't sure what exactly was going on.
Thanks a ton man. Your first two sentences are the kind of compliments that I love hearing from people, as I love Marth and always try to do well with him. :)

About the pause, dude who cares...We're playing freaking Smash. Like, I get it, play by the rules because technically they're there for a reason, it's a legit tournament etc. but in my mind it just sounds ridiculous to take a stock from someone like that lmao. It's really not a problem.

However, I want to apologize because I was so tired at that point in the tournament, I literally don't even remember our match. At least 90% of it. I remember the pause, I remember you pulling a stitch, I remember an airdodge that I punished but other than that no matter how hard I try I can't recall the match.

Was it close? What stages did we play on?

4: JesiahTEG ($126) - Jesse, it was a blast playing you again. Our matches were fun (that 4 stock you got on me on FD reminds me of when I was like 4 months into this game and you used to 4 stock me a lot more regularly, and make me sad). Hope you and the rest of WNY comes out to more of these Ohio/PGH tournies.
Dude, you're seriously amazing now. Your defense with Peach is so, SOOO good. Take that style, and RUN WITH IT. Seriously dude, I feel like you'll get people complaining about your game, but you have this really great ability to make people play your game and that's the sign of a pro player. I knew from playing with you you had it in you, but to see it 1st hand is freaking amazing.

Your dedication is paying off, I think you're at the point where you might start placing really high at big events. I think you should train even harder than you are now to get there quickly, cuz everyone is also improving very fast, and if you just improve at the same rate as them, it may feel like you've been getting better for a while but are not getting anywhere, a ****ty trap to fall into. But great stuff anyways.

MAAAANNNGOOOO- Great to see you again dude. For real though, it's very rare for me nowadays to like, be super inspired by watching players/playing them. I'm always trying to get better but it's been a long time since I saw someone whose skill I respected so much. I mean, everyone gets respect just for playing Smash, but when we played...Man, idk how to explain it. It was ****ing fun LMAO that's the best word, it was fun. Like we were fighting and going at it. And at some points I legitimately was so impressed with your Fox that I was losing focus. That's how you know you're godlike lol but yeah you showed me a sick way of playing the game and I feel like we're actually really similar in terms of style, but you're just better by a good margin. And not like a kind of better that depresses me lol, a kind of better that's like, I've never been happier to get my ass beat. Good stuff good stuff, by far the most fun matches I played.

Abate- Dude, nice 3-0 on me. You're so good now, I remember playing you at Zenith 2012 and when I won someone asked me if I played anyone good yet and I said not really...Not to be an asshole, but I just legitimately had never really heard of you before. Now you're easily the best Luigi in the world and if you keep it up who knows how far you'll go. Ridiculously impressed.

Only thing that sucks is that I really don't remember our match at all due to being tired beyond belief. 1st match on YS 1 stock from you, second match I don't remember where, but you 3 stocked me? Then last match I don't remember score or stage.

It really sucks because I really value great sets with great players, and I can't remember **** lol...Hopefully we'll play again in the tournament but if you see this, refresh my memory on the set?

4%- Great matches dude. Same thing as hanky panky and abate though, I can't remember our second set or PM set...Actually, I kinda can't even remember the first one, but I do remember you went fox/sheik the first time right? And then second match only sheik, which was a great decision. Also, I watched you vs Abate I believe but I don't even remember that lol.

Either way great games and grats on the great placing...We'll play more friendlies next time, I was actually looking for you for our MM but I couldn't find you.

Nicaboy- I was looking for you for our MM but no one seemed to know who you were/looked like. They only said he was soft's teammate, and I didn't know who soft was at the time either. :/ Next time next time

Taki- Great job beating us in teams.

Carroll- GREAT POOLS SETS. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect but first 2 games were freaking crazy. I never underestimate anyone, but at the same time I don't go out of state a whooooole lot, so a lot of times I kind of go into matches with no prior info...And it was really hard.

I think game 3 I had a great lock on your playstyle though, so I'm happy about that, but it took a one stock and me losing to your 2 stock before I managed to feel more comfortable...And honestly that first one stock could have gone either way, so I might not have even had the time to think/strategize to win.

I think next set we play should be great. Nice job.

Soft- Incredibly close money match. Incredibly incredibly close. Thanks for finding me, because at that point I had asked everyone if they knew who 3 of the people I was supposed to MM were, and they didn't and I was going to save you for last just cuz you were the only person I actually knew was like really good, but if you didn't find me it may have taken a while.

At any rate, probably my second favorite match the whole tournament.

I think the best part for you was on FD when you made a comeback at the last second by resting my up b after forcing me on stage. I was like daaaaaamn lol. So yeah not much else to say but great games and we'll play again I'm sure.

Pyro- You're actually good now. How does it feel LOL

pbnj- my man. loooove seeing you at tournaments, great job in teams and unfortunate for you in singles vs me, but you did come super close and did it with 2 different characters. But yeah, you're the man, always great energy and ridiculous commitment to bus that far. Respect.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

Amazing tournament, really had a blast and accomplished a lot of my goals for myself personally this tournament that had nothing to do with placing, so I'm really happy.

I did however fail as a competitor to really get enough rest and sleep beforehand. The things I did well definitely outweigh this, so I don't wanna beat myself up too much, but I came up short in my last few matches in both games and it's somewhat of a bummer to feel sooo good up until the very end and then not be able to think like at all, and then not remember the matches at the end.

I do however remember losing to a mario in PM and I literally got spot dodge fsmashed to death in at least one of the games. LMAO like, legit I only remember over and over and over going for punishes and mario dodging and dsmashing me. At that point actually though, I was in a great mood and found it incredibly hilarious. There were also some ridiculous mario combos that combined with my fatigue, made me feel like I was watching a PM combo video instead of playing a PM match. So to that mario player, great games and I hope the match wasn't recorded for my sake, but I do for your sake lmao

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Played with a sinus infection and a strep throat on three hours of sleep. That's all I have to say about Melee singles.

Thank you to VaNz for teaming with me. I had fun. :^)

4% APR

Smash Champion
I do however remember losing to a mario in PM and I literally got spot dodge fsmashed to death in at least one of the games. LMAO like, legit I only remember over and over and over going for punishes and mario dodging and dsmashing me. At that point actually though, I was in a great mood and found it incredibly hilarious. There were also some ridiculous mario combos that combined with my fatigue, made me feel like I was watching a PM combo video instead of playing a PM match. So to that mario player, great games and I hope the match wasn't recorded for my sake, but I do for your sake lmao
Good **** Josh ;)

Your combos were sick nasty Jesiah, and your fsmash reads, really impressed

Last edited:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Thanks dude.

And yeah don't get me wrong, Josh/whatever his tag is definitely scraped me legit lol i mentioned the spotdodge dsmash cuz it was funny but other than that i can only remember getting bodied lol

tm

Smash Ace
Thanks dude.

And yeah don't get me wrong, Josh/whatever his tag is definitely scraped me legit lol i mentioned the spotdodge dsmash cuz it was funny but other than that i can only remember getting bodied lol
That must have been 1der :)

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
fooly cooly here.

Mr.Magik - Nice meeting you Antonio! Chilling with you was a blast. Good **** in 64, too, and I'm really looking forward to Shuffle in two weeks! Practice up, man, and maybe we'll both make it to bracket.

thrillho - thanks for bringing the 64 setup, man! Definitely made my experience so much more enjoyable. Now if only we could get the rest of the community to appreciate 64 as much as we do…I'm expecting a rematch in 64 before long. Keep at that jigglypuff, man, it's damn good.

jada - **** you and your unprecedented ability to adapt! GGs in 64 man.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to me for actually showing up

Shoutouts to cool people for being cool

Shoutouts to the cool person for letting me borrow their controller

Shoutouts to Carroll for being that one person that is always heard before he is seen

Shoutouts to Inner Circle Pizza

Shoutouts to double the number of expected entrants

Shoutouts to shoutouts

Shoutouts

...I'm out

Last edited:

Get Low

Smash Ace
17: Get Low - I was the lowest placing Peach. Just let that sink in for a bit. I sure am.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? You should be placing the same, if not better than me.
But I played amazingly at this tournament, and you said that you did too, so that's all that matters.

Thrilllho

Smash Rookie
  1. shoutout to fooly cooly, an absolute beast at 64. you're yoshi is goddamned ridiculous. that shield break in game 5 of grand finals haunts my dreams haha.
  2. shoutout to final waffle, you were hilarious and awesome and i'll bet your 64 game is gonna be sooooo good here soon. i sense natural skill.
  3. shoutout to the guy that fixed my controller and let me set my 64 up at his table, that was all cool as heck, youre a true bro.
  4. shoutouts to all the melee dudes who played 64 and immediately realized how much fun and how hype it was. you should play a little more guys. we need it for our scene. gots to respect the OG
  5. shoutout to snowy ass roads on my 2 hour drive back to sandusky

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Jaiye I felt awful when I realized how hard I ****ed up our order of matches, I guess I wasn't thinking and was just excited to play some PM. Definitely earned the win in the end though.

Any idea if the recorded matches will end up on YouTube?

a nub

Smash Ace
I think I'm gonna be ocd and request my name be fixed to a nub

****** gonna need to remember the name soon :troll:

Also is this gonna be put into the new smashboards ranking thing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom