• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

XS Bi-weeklies 1: A new hope JUNE 25TH! Pineville NC

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Thats right! XS biWeeklies at Reapers games consoles starting June 25th!

Times

11am- Doors open

12 pm- Registration

1pm - Brackets go up

Entry fees
Melee/brawl singles 10 dollars american

Melee/brawl doubles 20 dollars american per team

Door fee is 5 dollars.

Pineville, NC

Melee ruleset: pound 5 with a 35 ledge grab limit
Brawl ruleset: Unity ruleset with all infinites banned.

[collapse=Stage list for both games]
Melee

Singles

Starter Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
General melee rules
Items are set to off.
Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

[/collapse]

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Its unfair to a lot of characters, Lucas, DK, mario etc

KoozyK got double marth counter picked at G6 and I was disgusted.

edit; by people who dont even play marth.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well just use unity ruleset with infinites banned lol. the important part is the stages anyway.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
...dont use mlg ruleset.
we used mlg ruleset before, to practice for mlg. there is no more mlg, why would we use mlg ruleset? nationals use unity, so we should use unity as well.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
a.z3al0t is gonna say ur tourney used unity ruleset if u just say the words unity ruleset in the rules, so if u dont want him to do that then just copy over the stages or something 8]

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
So much smash this summer, and it's all in West NC. :cool:

It really has been "the area" for NC smash for a while now.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
figures right when im about to move away smash moves to west nc >.>
I plan on doing something about that once I graduate from UNCC, because I will not settle for moving back to an area with less Smash. I really want to start a series of my own in Cary or Raleigh.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Snap!!!! Snap!!! Snap!!! I love u bro!!! U are the man!!!! I will come to these and support u!! I can't make the first one cuz I will be at a wedding but. But OMG the TO's are ******** for not seeing that. I was telling Alphazealot about it and instead of listening to me he focused on whether i used the correct terms or not. Lame. That gay grab stuff takes no skill and deserves to be gone!! good job sir. We talked about this at pound 5 and u said u wouldn't allow it. U stuck to yer word. Wait till i get back to NC i got yer back bro!! lets go!!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
That's his choice for using the character, just use all Unity rules. Just because you ban it here doesn't mean it's magically gonna be banned if the same said players were to attend regional or national events
NO...Snap is doing the right thing by being an agent for change.

With yer logic kadaj everyone in the end should just go Mk. correct? The reason this is important is because it literally makes singles UNPLAYABLE for certain characters like he said.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Dude what are you saying?

My logic is don't get grabbed, plain and simple.

It's like training for a professional bowling tournament and on practicing with the side rails on, only to go to the real thing and have them not there.

Obv. you are bias to this in the first place because of the character you play

Not like I personally care though, I just feel the rules should be the rules that are used at nationals and bigger tournaments, not altered variations of it.

*CT*

Smash Lord
Rule #1 don't die
Rule #2 don't get grabbed
Rule #3 don't john
Rule #4 let's go to Cook out three times this weekend

stingers

Smash Obsessed
meh, i think as a principle infinites should be legal, but in practice, it doesnt really matter, and we will lose attendance/certain attendants will be less likely to come if they remain on. so why should they? lol does it really affect u in any way craig if infinites are on or not?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I honestly don't care. It's just really sucks to go to a tournament and get grab-released by some Pit main that doesn't even really play Marth. Like, it would be fine if double-blind character picks actually worked, but they don't really since they pretty much know that you're going to go with your main. =/

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
I think there needs to be a lgl in melee
For Puff only, only Jiggs can abuse that because Melee Jiggs jumps = Metaknight jumps

Honestly, if you just shield grab, that ends the ledge game.

@ Snapple ~ These events I can make, I only live about an hour away from pineville, thanks for finding a place so close to me....lol

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Its not fair to people kadaj, its an unfair rule. No person should have to change what character they play to make up for a flaw in the game.

Period

as for lgl in melee, Im doing it for a lot of reasons, and many characters can abuse Lg's Sheik, puff and a few others to my knowledge.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
So people get handouts for spacing and technical errors is what you are saying essentially? And that is "fair"? Let's just ban ic's altogether then right?
They can do the exact same kinda grab release infinite as well if they wanted to instead of chain grabbing. Besides the **** does like 1-2 damage a pummel and 1 everytime after the first 2-3 pummels.

You can also double stick DI to force characters to bring you to the ledge while mashing out voiding the fact and characteristics of a true infinite anyway.

Look at it from both sides with a more logical standpoint than just "it's not fair"

And in hindsight Ness and Lucas are very ****ing hard to grab in the first place, as well as DK, Mario, Luigi, Samus, etc. if you are good with them. They have some of the best anti grabbing defenses in the game

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Kadaj if lucas/ness mess up a spacing error or technical error shouldnt they be punished the way any other character gets punished?

and no, its not the same with IC's because the IC's can do it to everyone

Okay lets say your marth dittoing someone and you make a spacing error and get grabbed whatever that marth player does to you from that point should be similar to what happens to lucas or ness or what ever character.

its not like lucas is top tier in the first place, sorry to take a free win from you but im putting my foot down on this one, equality for all characters, not special treatment to the top 5 in my ruleset.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The Infinite Victim/Banner's Perspective in a nutshell

"Dude, why is this **** legal? I lose control of my character and basically lose a whole stock just because HE GRABBED ME? That's completely broken, and doesn't show skill, it just shows a severe imbalance in the game. Marth already has an advantage on Lucas, so why make the MU horrendous? At least let's make a fight of out it. We already correct imbalances and other uncompetitive things in the game with our rules, so why not infinites? We even have a ledge grab limit, with a unique limit for MK! That's no less artificial than banning infinites. We may play to win, but how is abusing an imbalanced mechanic worthy of victory? We may as well make Hyrule Temple legal. It tips the scales significantly in certain characters' favors, just like infinites!"

The Infinite User/Supporter's Perspective in a nutshell

"Hey, I'm only using all the tools my character has at his disposal to win. This isn't a glitch, it's just the way the game's physics work. Why should my character's actions be limited to accommodate solo mainers of certain characters? It's the player's fault for picking and only sticking to unviable characters. Nobody is forcing them stay that character for that bad MU, so learn someone else for the MU or just accept the disadvantage and don't get ****ing grabbed. In this game, we play to win. The characters who can infinite you are far more defeatable than a MK with no LGL. Even with the ban, the former victims still have other problems (like other bad MUs) that will prevent them from moving up much in terms of tournament viability."

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Both players perspective in a nutshell

"Holy **** why are we playing brawl in a nutshell its ****ing dark in here how did we even get a set up in this nutshell oh god were running out of air"

Top Bottom