• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

xRush101's In Depth Toon Link Video Guide!

xRush101

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here and I actually decided to create an account for the purpose of posting this. Due to the lack of video guides showcasing how to do a lot of Toon Links advanced tech, I decided to put together this 5 part (and hopefully more in the future) video guide. I'd consider myself a pretty technical Toon Link and I wanted to share some of my techniques.

This guide covers everything from Jump Cancel Tossing to Z-Dropping, to Advanced set-ups etc...

I'd encourage everyone to at least skim through each video (even if you already know the tech). Maybe you'll learn something you didn't know previously. I try to go into great detail on how each tech or skill works so those who don't understand can learn.

---------------------------------

Jump Cancel Tossing & Basic Follow-Ups

Bomb Catching/ Re-Catching (Part 1)

Bomb Catching/ Re-Catching (Part 2)

Zair Droping (Z-Drop)

Advanced Combos, Set-Ups & Follow-Ups

---------------------------------

Feel free to ask questions. I'll try to respond to as many as possible.
This is the first time I've done any sort of guide/ series like this so feedback is appreciated!

Planned Future Videos:
* B-Reversing (With Tink)
* Edge Guarding & Off Stage Game
* Using projectiles effectively
* Match-up analysis

Thanks!

-Rush

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Somebody has been doing their research. I'm impressed.

Being the perfectionist that I am however, I do have a few things to note, and I'll use your vids as a reference. I won't say everything that comes to mind, otherwise that would be pointlessly picky.

Jump Cancel Tossing & Basic Follow-Ups
0:53 The only thing with bad lag is the dash throw, so throwing the bomb in any other way/direction won't give you that lag.
1:06 Or there is the option of shielding directly out of a run and instantly throwing the bomb OoS.
1:42 To be precise, Toon has 5 jump-squat frames, and you want to input the throw within this jump-squat period, in other words you'll want to hit jump then instantly throw the bomb.
3:28 Characters who are faster fallers (and at slightly higher percents are also heavier) is what you're after.
4:10 You're not far off. The footstool to Dair will lock the opponent at around 0 to 6%, but this will change depending on how heavy the opponent is, i.e. give or take like 3%, so 5% is probably a decent estimate to keep in mind.
4:25 Incorrect. It is actually impossible to tech the Dair if the opponent is lying on the ground, i.e. because they got footstooled close to the ground. So if you're going for the JC throw to footstool to Dair and you're finding that the opponent is able to tech, then just delay the Dair ever so slightly to ensure that the opponent lands before they get hit.
5:20 No turning around or RAR before the Bair?

Bomb Catching/ Re-Catching (Part 2)
0:52 To be specific, you can cancel the initial frames of the airdodge with a bomb throw (in any direction) (or a z-drop).
1:52 Note that there are other ways to do it, e.g. throw with any button, catch with shield button to airdodge, then instantly cancel the airdodge by throwing the bomb with the c-stick; this method allows you to continue to hold the joystick in the direction of the initial drift which can help with spacing and can make it easier to catch the bomb in some circumstances. Though spamming the grab button is also arguably the easiest way to do the basic Bomb Fake Out.

Zair Droping (Z-Drop)
0:50 Well, there's 8 frames of landing lag, but yeah.
1:12 If you're going to airdodge then hit the attack button, you'll need to have held the shield button. Otherwise you can airdodge and hit the grab button.
8:00 No Short Hop Bomb Drop?
9:40 Two bombs XD.

Advanced Combos, Set-Ups & Follow-Ups
2:20 I mentioned the whole not being able to tech thing earlier, and I've been trying not to repeat myself, but this one was kind of worded rather strongly so I felt the urge to state this again.
13:00 It's not a 'Jab' lock if there's no 'Jab' involved. It's a 'Lock' more generally, and in this case you use an Arrow Lock.

In the future you can feel free to PM me the vids first and I can give you some feed-back on them to give you the option of making some alterations before you make them public. It's something I've done for people in the past; the offer is there.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
incredible series, learned something new I didnt really consider before. The footstool combos are great too. Cant wait for more.

mush21

Smash Rookie
Fantastic guide!!! Thanks for taking the time to make these. Learned a lot!

Top Bottom