• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xenoblade Chronicles/Shulk FAQ [NO SPOILERS]

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I have a couple of questions (I am a little in the know for Xenoblade thanks to Chugga tho):

Shulk's Final Smash is a Chain Attack right?

Doesn't the Monado only work on Mechons?

Are the 5 arts of the Monado present in Xenoblade as well? and what do they do in the actual game?

How come Shulk's only party members that make appearances are Riki and Dunban? Are they the fan favorites?

And why is Gaur Plains a significant area?

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple of questions (I am a little in the know for Xenoblade thanks to Chugga tho):

Are the 5 arts of the Monado present in Xenoblade as well? and what do they do in the actual game?

How come Shulk's only party members that make appearances are Riki and Dunban? Are they the fan favorites?

I heard Shield, Buster, Smash, Jump, Dash. Buster and Shield are in the game, Jump and Dash could count as Monado Speed.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

1. Yes.

2. Yes, although in Smash Bros these kind of things are understandably put aside. He wouldn't be a very effective fighter if he couldn't hit anyone. Actually it can hit non mechons.....like monsters in the wilderness, but I can't think of why exactly. Can someone else clarify this? (It might be something like it can't hurt sentient life)

3. Monado Buster, Shield And Speed appear in Xenoblade. I believe Monado Jump and Smash are new to Smash Bros.

Monado Buster is an attack, it doubles damage if used against a mechon. It has a medium range.
Monado Shield blocks one talent art* from an enemy.
Monado Speed significantly increases the targets evasion rate.

*A talent art is like a special attack or ability.

4. Well I'm not sure how Japan sees them but I do believe Riki and Dunban are very popular. I think they're all quite popular to a degree though. I don't think Reyn is as popular in Japan as he is in the west. Plus some of Shulks other party members could be assist trophies.

5. Gaur Plains is the first really really huge area in the game and at least from my playing of the game it was the first time I realised the huge scope of the game. That area and it's music has become quite iconic among Xenoblade fans too. Also, considering how long Xenoblade Chronicles is Gaur Plains is a location most players will have seen since it's an early map.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I heard Shield, Buster, Smash, Jump, Dash. Buster and Shield are in the game, Jump and Dash could count as Monado Speed.
1. Yes.
2. Yes, although in Smash Bros these kind of things are understandably put aside. He wouldn't be a very effective fighter if he couldn't hit anyone. Actually it can hit non mechons.....like monsters in the wilderness, but I can't think of why exactly. Can someone else clarify this?
3. Monado Buster, Shield And Speed appear in Xenoblade. I believe Monado Jump and Smash are new to Smash Bros.

Monado Buster is an attack, it doubles damage if used against a mechon.

4. Well I'm not sure how Japan sees them but I do believe Riki and Dunban are very popular. I think they're all quite popular to a degree though. I don't think Reyn is as popular in Japan as he is in the west. Plus some of Shulks other party members could be assist trophies.
5. Gaur Plains is the first really really huge area in the game and at least from my playing of the game it was the first time I realised the huge scope of the game. That area and it's music has become quite iconic among Xenoblade fans too. Also, considering how long Xenoblade Chronicles is Gaur Plains is a location most players will have seen since it's an early map.
Thank you both that cleared a lot of things up! :) After Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play I might get Xenoblade and use Shulk in Smash more than I initially thought!

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Thank you both that cleared a lot of things up! :) After Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play I might get Xenoblade and use Shulk in Smash more than I initially thought!
If you're watching Chuggaaconroy's playthrough, think of the events that just transpired. After those events, the Monado became able to hurt humanoid lifeforms. This is likely the version of the Monado used in Smash.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
If you're watching Chuggaaconroy's playthrough, think of the events that just transpired. After those events, the Monado became able to hurt humanoid lifeforms. This is likely the version of the Monado used in Smash.
Ah ok, that makes more sense now. Anyway I just got Xenoblade like 10 min ago so maybe these things will make more sense now xD

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Which is kinda weird because it physically isn't. Kinda wish it was, Monado II looks way cooler in my opinion.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
2. Yes, although in Smash Bros these kind of things are understandably put aside. He wouldn't be a very effective fighter if he couldn't hit anyone. Actually it can hit non mechons.....like monsters in the wilderness, but I can't think of why exactly. Can someone else clarify this? (It might be something like it can't hurt sentient life)
I may be wrong, but I believe that it just can't hurt Homs (basically humans in Xenoblade), but like others are saying, they may have just pulled the Monado II (after it can hurt Homs)'s power and based it off of that. Or just ignored the idea entirely. I should stop rambling...

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
Yeah if you compare the Monado Shulk uses in smash 4 with the upgraded Monado II from Xenoblade, you can clearly see that Shulk uses the first version.
But since none of the other characters originate from the Bionis, (the deity were the homs live on) technically even the Monado I would we able to hurt the other characters in the Smash universe. Since it just isn't able to hurt Homs or anything born of the Bionis...

Monado I

Monado II

Last edited:

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if you compare the monado Shulk uses in smash 4 with the upgraded monado II from Xenoblade, you can clearly see that Shulk uses the first version.
But since none of the other characters originate from the Bionis, (the deity were the homs live on) technically even the Monado I would we able to hurt the other characters in the Smash universe. Since it just isn't able to hurt Homs or anything born of the Bionis...

Monado I

Monado II
That would make sense I suppose, but it's still a little odd looking at the Monado Shulk is using. In some shots such as this one...:

It definitely looks like he's holding the regular Monado.
However, if we take a look at this shot from his final smash...:

You could also argue that he's holding the Monado II.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
That would make sense I suppose, but it's still a little odd looking at the Monado Shulk is using. In some shots such as this one...:

It definitely looks like he's holding the regular Monado.
However, if we take a look at this shot from his final smash...:

You could also argue that he's holding the Monado II.
That's just how the regular Monado looks when it's activated.

Here's the Monado II when activated.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
That's just how the regular Monado looks when it's activated.

Here's the Monado II when activated.

So you're right. The part of the blade next to the handle always trips me up.
Cheers for clearing that up :)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel like I should come in here and offer my obsessive expertise!

Oy! I can help field any questions anyone has about the game!

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Man looking at all those pictures only makes me wish even more that it was Monado II that he wielded in this.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I may be wrong, but I believe that it just can't hurt Homs (basically humans in Xenoblade), but like others are saying, they may have just pulled the Monado II (after it can hurt Homs)'s power and based it off of that. Or just ignored the idea entirely. I should stop rambling...
I narrow it down to it not harming Bionis humanoids. A few battles in particular come to mind.

I think they're going with the regular Monado because it's the most iconic. They're obviously gonna bypass its limitations so Shulk can actually hurt opponents. (If they followed in-game logic, not only could Shulk hurt very few characters, but Ganondorf could only be hurt by Link and Charizard would be incredibly effective against Lucario :laugh:)

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Another Xenoblade super fan tagging in! I am actually considering saving up for a Wii U a little bit faster now, so that I get Shulk on release date!

The Monado is unable to hurt creatures OF THE BIONIS (with a few exceptions). Marth, Link, Bowser, etc. are obviously not OF THE BIONIS.

I'm really interested to see how his arts are incorporated into his gameplay. There seems to be some sort of mechanism to switch between Monado "forms" that effect all his moves, but Sakurai is very proud of his customizable moves. I would hate to have to choose between having speed/shield/buster for an entire game. It sort of makes sense, because you had to pick and choose which arts you wanted in Xenoblade, but Shulk was the exception to that. He always had access to all of his arts.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Anyone know exactly what happened at the end of the reveal? Is that something particular to Xenoblade?
one of the main Villains Metal face makes ome remarks to Shulk and is the min reason shulk goes on his journey and has a huge haterad for shulk inence the angry look shulk has at the end of the trailer

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Does he count as a Third Party Character (Sonic, Pac-Man, etc..) I'm not too sure.
no he is first party since the company was bought by nintendo before Xenoblade came to the Wii now the other xeno game Xeno gear and Xeno Saga are 3rd party but every xeno game after saga is first party (xenoblade and X)

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842

1. yes his FS is Chain Attck a wise choice for him

2. at first yes but later on it can be upgraded to harm humans too

3. jump and smash are not arts but buster, Shield, and Speed are

4 Riki and Dunabn are usually the fan favorite party member so yeah

5. it's the first "real" area in Xenoblade, it the first area that takes people away in the game because of how large it is (although small compared to later on in the game) and it's pretty much the first area you go to when Shulk starts his adventure.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I've read about and theorized about Xenoblade quite a lot, along with having watched Chugga's Let's Play, so I can help with any questions fielded.
1. yes his FS is Chain Attck a wise choice for him

2. at first yes but later on it can be upgraded to harm humans too

3. jump and smash are not arts but buster, Shield, and Speed are

4 Riki and Dunabn are usually the fan favorite party member so yeah

5. it's the first "real" area in Xenoblade, it the first area that takes people away in the game because of how large it is (although small compared to later on in the game) and it's pretty much the first area you go to when Shulk starts his adventure.
about the second question... actually the Monado can't hurt Homs, which are the human-like sentient species living on the Bionis. (there are other sentient species which also can't be hurt by the Monado, but neither of those appear in SSB4 in a damageable capacity.)

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I've read about and theorized about Xenoblade quite a lot, along with having watched Chugga's Let's Play, so I can help with any questions fielded.

about the second question... actually the Monado can't hurt Homs, which are the human-like sentient species living on the Bionis. (there are other sentient species which also can't be hurt by the Monado, but neither of those appear in SSB4 in a damageable capacity.)
as said Upgraded later on I would say more but it'd be spoilers

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Apologies if some of these have already been answered (and for the text wall!), I won't answer the ones that already have been answered well enough.

Monado Jump is not present.
Monado Speed strongly increases the agility of the party member it is used on for a set amount of time. Ideally, that party member will become so fast that they can dodge most attacks.
Monado Shield creates an orb/barrier around all party members and reduces damage from any Talent Art (signature move) to 1. It does not increase defence in any other way; Monado Armour does that. (I'm a little sad to see that this barrier doesn't appear as Shulk's shield in Smash, like Yoshi's egg, but never mind.)
Monado Buster has the 'light' part of the Monado extend greatly, which Shulk then swings overhead (like Ike's forward-Smash) and deals great damage to all enemies directly in front of him. Damage is doubled against Mechon.
Monado Smash is not present.

This is my personal opinion here - but a Chain Attack always contains three party members. I think Dunban and Riki were there because they had to choose someone. Dunban and Riki are quite popular, though. I am confident that any of the other four characters will appear in the Final Smash, be it by randomising the allies or by changing based on an active Monado Art. There are three guest characters that can technically participate in a Chain Attack, but I doubt they will appear in the Final Smash.

Why is Gaur Plains a significant area?
Just a technicality, first off - the area itself is known as the Bionis' Leg. The Gaur Plains are a subsection of that area. Similarly, other caves, hideouts, lakes and fields on the Bionis' Leg will have their own names. That said, the music for the Bionis' Leg is officially known as "Gaur Plains" so they clearly have a liking for it.
Plot-wise, it has very little impact, but Gaur Plains (and the rest of the Bionis' Leg) is probably a significant area for a few reasons. It closely resembles the boxart (making it recognisable). But mostly, I think it's the first area of the game that really gives you the sheer scale of the world you're in. (Forgive me if this sounds like I'm fanboying - but it's probably the best reason I can think of.) When you first reach the area, you're greeted by the Mechonis looming in the far distance across this endless chasm, yet its sword still reaches above you. When you first reach the open field, the rousing music starts up and it feels as if you can run in any direction and just keep going. This area is HUGE, it's bigger than FFXIII's Archylte Steppe which serves the same purpose for that game. Whilst Colony 9 had some exploring to do, this is the first place where it really hits you. Wanna see what's up on the hill? Swim in the lake? Walk along cliff faces? You can go and do it, provided you keep an eye out for enemies. The Bionis' Leg is not only a beautiful area, but it's where the exploration element of Xenoblade really kicks in, so I think many Xenoblade players hold some kind of love for the area.

-------
Anyway, the reason I actually visited this thread today; I got thinking and I realised there might be some questions non-Xenoblade players don't know to ask because they don't know it's actually a thing. I'll bring those up and answer them here:

Video title: "Looks like we don't have a choice!"
I have noticed a lot of people thinking that this is making a remark at the recent Smash Bros. leaks. Whether or not Nintendo intended people to see it that way, this is actually a quote from Xenoblade. If you are playing as Shulk and try to initiate battle with an enemy way out of your league, Shulk will say "Looks like we don't have a choice!", after which your party members will, instead of saying something about preparation or finishing the fight quickly, express their concerns (both for the fight, and for the character that initiates that fight!) These quotes change based on whether the character is initiating the fight or set as an ally. For example, I think Shulk's other 'concerned' quote is something like "Is this really such a good idea?"

Naked Shulk?
Yes, Shulk apparently has some alternate model that has him running around in... shorts? Underwear? Anyway, as you might have guessed, this actually is in Xenoblade and isn't just done for the lulz. In Xenoblade, armour is physically shown on the character. If you want to, you're free to remove everything, leaving Shulk like this. (Removing all armour actually grants huge buffs to one character in particular, assuming he has learned the correct skills.) Additionally, some Light Armour sets are actually body oils, which will also leave your characters in their underwear. Makes for some funny sights at times; at one point I put my best armour on Dunban, some of which was body oil. Resulted in Dunban running around shirtless in a blizzard and not even caring.

"Now it's Shulk Time!"
The closest thing Xenoblade has to memes are often quotes from Shulk's friend, Reyn. Some of Reyn's in-battle quotes are some variation on "Yeah, now it's Reyn Time!"
This has led to great things.
tumblr_m953ifD8Ew1qgvkrlo1_400.jpeg

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Haha, by "spider sense" I assume you mean his visions?
The visions that Shulk sees are a power of his weapon, the Monado. They play a major role in the story as well as in the gameplay, as Shulk will sometimes see a vision during a battle. The vision will play out, showing an attack on one of the members of the party. Shulk then has the ability to use a Monado art to change the future he sees. This allows for some extremely well made story-telling as his visions act as an integral link between different parts of the story.

Here's the cutscene where Shulk first experiences a vision. Don't watch any other cutscenes if you want to avoid spoilers:

In the game, each character has different skills they can use, called "Arts". Shulk, being the wielder of the Monado, has a series of Monado Arts. These include Monado Buster, Shield, Speed and a couple others which weren't included in the trailer. "Monado Jump" has similarities to another art and "Smash" is an addition.

Anyways, these all have varying effects. Monado Buster is a powerful attack which deals extra damage against Mechon, the machine like enemies you encounter throughout the game. Monado Shield and Monado Speed are used to provide their respective bonuses and are used to counter the futures that Shulk sees through the Monado.
For example, if Shulk is about to be hit by a physical attack which he can't dodge in time, using Monado Speed would allow him to avoid it.

Yep, @DraginHikari has that one.
Metal Face acts as an antagonist throughout the game. He plays a major role in the story, but that's delving into spoiler territory.

In terms of Smash, he'll likely be a stage hazard.
Um... Wasn't Shulk's first vision back when Reyn went crazy with the Monado earlier on?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Um... Wasn't Shulk's first vision back when Reyn went crazy with the Monado earlier on?
Technically, yes. But I excluded that since the one from the cutscene when Shulk first wields the Monado is when we're introduced to the mechanic. The "first" vision only really has story relevance, which I didn't feel was important in the context of the question.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Technically, yes. But I excluded that since the one from the cutscene when Shulk first wields the Monado is when we're introduced to the mechanic. The "first" vision only really has story relevance, which I didn't feel was important in the context of the question.
Ah. I see.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Huge Xenoblade nerd here; can answer questions.

RaikoTheSaikou

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaikoTheHedgehog
People seem a bit confused as to why he can hurt things other then Mechon with the Monado,
That's because the Monado can't hurt any life from Bionis, (the world Shulk lives in), Until he gets the Monado II,
But the Monado II isn't in Smash, The regular Monado can hit anything that isn't from Bionis,
It's just made specifically for Mechon, But it can kill other things too,

Just thought i would make that clear since some people thought it was ONLY for Mechon.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
People seem a bit confused as to why he can hurt things other then Mechon with the Monado,
That's because the Monado can't hurt any life from Bionis, (the world Shulk lives in), Until he gets the Monado II,
But the Monado II isn't in Smash, The regular Monado can hit anything that isn't from Bionis,
It's just made specifically for Mechon, But it can kill other things too,

Just thought i would make that clear since some people thought it was ONLY for Mechon.
Actually, the Monado I can hurt anything from Bionis too, as long as it's non-sentient. That being said, unless the Monado I stops working in Shulk mirror matches, I think we can chalk it up to either artistic license or...
Being a new model of the Replica Monados.

RaikoTheSaikou

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaikoTheHedgehog
Actually, the Monado I can hurt anything from Bionis too, as long as it's non-sentient. That being said, unless the Monado I stops working in Shulk mirror matches, I think we can chalk it up to either artistic license or...
Being a new model of the Replica Monados.
True, Or maybe...
Since Zanza is the Monado maybe he can somehow "decide" to hurt other Shulk's online.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sorry if this was asked already but:

Question: Has anyone clarified if Shulk's Arts affect the outcome of Shulk's DownB counter?
The Shulk Trailer may of had his first Counter shown be his Shield Art's counter, while his 2nd Counter could of been his Smash Art. That or it's based off timing of the move's succession like I thought at first.

Sorry if this was asked already but:

Question: Has anyone clarified if Shulk's Arts affect the outcome of Shulk's DownB counter?
The Shulk Trailer may of had his first Counter shown be his Shield Art's counter, while his 2nd Counter could of been his Smash Art. That or it's based off timing of the move's succession like I thought at first.
Yes it does

Buster art is a no-no at low percentages, especially

Smash art, I think, is reliable for all (?) or low-mid to high percentages. It will keep the opponent at a good distance away from you

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yes it does

Buster art is a no-no at low percentages, especially

Smash art, I think, is reliable for all (?) or low-mid to high percentages. It will keep the opponent at a good distance away from you
B-but. . .Buster Art = 20% counter damage?:awesome: I'm adulting, but thanks for answering! At this point I'd be asking trivial questions.

Like what do you mean by Buster Art's Counter being a "no-no" ? I'm guessing the knock-back & hit-stun of the counter isn't worth doing it despite the damage it deals(?)

Last edited:
B-but. . .Buster Art = 20% counter damage?:awesome: I'm adulting, but thanks for answering! At this point I'd be asking trivial questions.

Like what do you mean by Buster Art's Counter being a "no-no" ? I'm guessing the knock-back & hit-stun of the counter isn't worth doing it despite the damage it deals(?)
The knockback really makes it not a good idea and it doesn't help that counter positions Shulk at a certain distance forward which has a chance of positioning him near the opponent's attacks' usual range. Also, the hitsun of vision isn't all that great

See it in action here. Video is marked for you already at 24 sec mark

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The knockback really makes it not a good idea and it doesn't help that counter positions Shulk at a certain distance forward which has a chance of positioning him near the opponent's attacks' usual range. Also, the hitsun of vision isn't all that great
Understandable, thanks for answering, it reassured me.:shades:

New Question: Does the Jump Art affect how high his Footstool jump goes as well?
Assuming it does, then we should just make Jump Art Shulk the #1 best Footstooler.:shades:

Understandable, thanks for answering, it reassured me.:shades:

New Question: Does the Jump Art affect how high his Footstool jump goes as well?
Assuming it does, then we should just make Jump Art Shulk the #1 best Footstooler.:shades:
I'm not too sure. Maybe? :S

Top Bottom