• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox's Answer To Smash Bros

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
I don't like the idea of it being 1v1 or even 2v2. I think 1v1v1v1 or whatever combination you want with 4 players (if you have that many people playing) would be better.

You put Commander Jaxton twice.
I prefer it being a Marvel Vs. Capcom game cause it just seems like a more natural approach for the gameplay. Also I think the characters will translate to a normal fighting game more, rather than "just copy what Smash did."

Oops, well sense that means an extra slot is open for a character, maybe Jack of Blades? He's a villain and adds another character to Fable.

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
Design wise, I think a Microsoft fighting game would work better as a game in the vain of Marvel Vs. Capcom or Mortal Kombat. The game would take a cartoony approach to the fighting, but it can get very brutal with the more serious characters, but still very whimsical and fun.

With Microsoft acquiring Actvision, I wanted to throw my hat in a ring, in potential fighters I would add if I was in charge of a roster.

1. Master Chief (Halo)
2. Marcus Fenix (Gears)
3. Raz (Psychonauts)
4. Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
5. Arbiter (Halo)
6. Conker (Conker)
7. Fable protagonist (Fable)
8. Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
9. Steve (Minecraft)
10. Doomslayer (Doom)
11. Vince (Voodoo Vince)
12. Lucy (Whacked!)
13. Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)
14. Commander Jaxon (Crackdown)
15. Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie)
16. Rash (Battletoads)
17. General Raam (Gears)
18. Ori (Ori)
19. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
20. Orchid (Killer Instinct)
21. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
22. Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
23. Winston (Overwatch)
24. Zerg (Starcraft)
25. Guitar Hero Rep (Guitar Hero)
26. Senua (Hellblade)
27. Dark Queen (Battletoads)
28. Flood (Halo)
29. Mumbo Jumbo (Banjo-Kazooie)
30. Dragonborn (Skyrim)
31. Commander Jaxon (Crackdown)
32. Avatar (Xbox)

My reasoning for the choices:

Master Chief was an obvious choice, and Arbiter is one of Halo's other popular characters.
Gears is Microsoft's second most popular franchise.
Fable because it is one of Microsoft's other premier franchises.
Banjo, Conker, Crash, Raz and Spyro are all platforming icons.
Blinx, Lucy and Vince were all chosen cause I thought having 3 obscure and retro characters featured on the roster would be cool. Vince makes for an interesting fighter cause he is a Voodoo doll, Blinx can control time, and Lucy is here just because the roster needs more female characters and cartoony ones.
The Xbox avatar is important to the Xbox ecosystem, while they have slowly fell into irrelevance, being able to make your own fighter with your likeness is a nice idea carried from Smash.
Rash is here because he was in Killer Instinct, and everyone loves the toads.
Commander Jaxon was picked because how outlandish it would be for Terry Crews to be here and shout catchphrases. What he's best known for.
Gruntilda, General Raam, Zerg, Dark Queen, Flood, were all chosen cause game needed villains.
Mumbo Jumbo to just round out the roster a bit more, also his ability to transform stuff makes him a unique fighter.
Steve is very popular, so of course.
Ori and Senua both come from well received games so it's an obvious choice.
Winston was chosen cause I think the game would need more "big" characters. I originally wanted Tracer, but with Blinx here, I didn't want them to feel too similar.
Fulgore and Orchid were chosen because they are actually from a fighting game, and Killer Instinct is a loved series. Orchid was chosen over Jargo cause the game needed more female characters.
Dragonborn and Doomslayer are both from iconic video game franchises.
Joanna Dark is a spy, and that could make for an interesting moveset.
Guitar Hero, because a character who revolves around music makes for an interesting moveset.

Other characters that could potentially be added as DLC
Skylanders - Because they could swap between 3 characters.
Dr. Neo Cortex - Another villain, and adds another Crash character.
Riptor - I wanted an "animalistic and feral" character and Killer Instinct is cool.

Third party:
A character from the Sonic series - I'd pick Shadow, because with Sonic in Smash Bros, it would be the more realistic choice. And he fits in with all the dark and edgy, albeit whacky cast of characters. Sonic been on Xbox consoles for 20 years, so this isn't a out of nowhere decision.
Sam Fisher - Splinter Cell was also on Xbox consoles for a very long time, and Sam is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time.
Roblox - Roblox is currently exclusive to Xbox consoles. Having Steve and Roblox duke it out in a game together would be awesome. With a bunch of gears and weapons, Roblox in my opinion has more interesting potential as a fighter than Steve.
Enzo - Because Assassin's Creed is successful and cool.
Rayman - To add to the platforming heroes.
A Mortal Kombat character - There are a bunch, but I'd pick Sub-Zero, cause no one uses ice powers.

That was everything, it's a weird list. But, I think it fills a bunch of niches.
There were other characters I thought of adding:

First party:
Tartarus (Halo)
A character from Brute Force
A Jet Force Gemini character (probably the dog, cause the game needs four legged characters.)
A Kung Fu Chaos character
A character from Fallout
A character from the Outer Worlds
A Dance Central character

Third party:
Stubbs (Stubbs the Zombie)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Alien (Alien Hominind)
A character from Skullgirls (Peacock would be my choice)
Cuphead (Cuphead)
A character from Dead or Alive
Abe (Oddworld)
Laura Croft (Tomb Raider)
Commanded Shepard (Mass Effect)
Crazy Dave (Plants Vs. Zombies)
Tiny Tina (Borderlands)
Sunset Overdrive Protagonist (Microsoft no longer owns the game.)

Some of the characters I chose was because they were relevant to the Xbox brand at a point of time.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I wouldn't feel it'd be natural at all for it to be more like Marvel vs Capcom. You wouldn't even be able to use items.

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
Ideas I had:

The game's plot takes the theory that Smash Bros is all inside of a kid's head. The characters are action figures (similarly to Smash Bros trophies) who were passed down from the kid's dad, who played Xbox when it launched it 2001. Campaign wise, the villains organized a plan to defeat all of the heroes in the Xbox Metaverse, so they began making the ultimate weapon, but this plan backfires. The villain's name is "Hivemind" because they are composed of multiple characters. It shows in their design, as they contain elements to show what characters they absorbed and what abilities they obtained from them. There won't be any dialogue, instead the characters will interact using body language instead like Subspace Emissary.

When a match starts, characters will have their own intro animations. Some include Master Chief falling from a drop pod, Doomslayer exiting a portal, Spyro flying in, Crash coming in through a warp portal, Conker being dropped by a skeleton hand and Vince coming to life.

Characters will have intro dialogues similarly to Mortal Kombat or Injustice. Some mute characters like Avatars, Crash, etc, will respond using body language.

Wanted to throw ideas for stages:
The Metaverse (Xbox) - Basically the game's battlefield or final destination. You'll see multiple portals, rips and backgrounds featuring screenshots and videos from all of the franchises featured in the game.
The Original (Xbox) - Based on the Original Xbox's boot up and dashboard.
The Arena (Xbox) - A boxing ring where all of the NPC characters will watch from the background, cheering the fight on.
The Library (Halo) - Based on the level where Master Chief fights the Flood in Halo 1. The flood will watch from the background, and Gravemind will give his commentary.
Warp Room (Crash Bandicoot) - Based on the hub world from Crash 3. Coco will watch in the background, occasionally changing the level from medieval times, underwater and the future.
The Nether (Minecraft) - What else can I say.
Poo Cabin (Conker) - Based on the Great Mighty Poo fight from Conker's Bad Fur Day. GMP himself will watch and offer his commentary in song.
Turbo Tunnel (Battletoads) - Based off that God forsaken level in Battletoads.
Whacked! (Whacked!) - Based off the game show that the game is named after. The contestants can spectate. A gimmick this stage has is when playing as Lucy, she can ask Van Tastic (the host) about the opponent she is fighting, and Van will give an over dramatic introduction to who they are and tips on how to beat them. This results in banter between them. Think the codex calls from Brawl.
Gruntilda's Lair (Banjo-Kazooie) - Taking place on the roof, similarly to the final battle of B&K. A statute of the mighty Jinjonator is in the background.
Time Factory (Blinx) - Based off the opening from Blinx the Time Sweeper. An ongoing battle would be happening between the Time Sweepers and the game's villains, the Tom-Toms.

Top Bottom