• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They did what they had to do. Everyone knows PS4 will be catering towards the "hardcore" audience. Xbox did what they did by grabbing the casuals. Everyone from someone who wants a media hub to the Call of Duty fans.

I personally do like the TV integration. Question is, will it work with every TV and every service?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Are they still making you pay to play anything online?

I can't see this thing making me care about the Xbox, and I'm expecting another E3 of Kinect.

XBox One is a stupid name too, bugs me more than Wii U does because at least Wii U doesn't make it sound like Nintendo's first console. :/

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm going to assume that there's some truth to the "no used games" rumor, seeing how the Xbox One downloads your on-disk games to your hard drive and then binds them to your XBL account.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Whatever, chances are I will not be getting it, so it's all moot to me. Though I do feel sad how MS took the "One" from HTC's new phone and made it irrelevant lol.

Lebesgue

Smash Rookie
Well, they've just confirmed that to use the TV features you have to have a separate device (I assume a cable box), and they've also said that Xbox can't function without Kinect, so that is three freaking devices for this 'one' system. LOL.

Anyway, I have zero interest. This product is obviously not aimed at me, but at the dudebro crowd who enjoy the annual Madden and COD. I'll stick with Wii U/PS4 for this coming gen.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm guessing the one refers to the score it gets out of ten.

they're just preemptively preparing for how hard this going to flop.

finalark

SNORLAX
Okay, does anyone here actually approve of anything that we've seen so far of this console? Because for me personally, and everyone who I've talked to, it's just one big pile of nope.

Exactly my thought. I was like "Xbox ONE? Wasn't that the first XBox?".
Maybe they're trying to make us forget about the Original Xbox.

Which is strange, because IMO it's an extremely underrated console.

HashSlingingSlasher

Smash Rookie
this is all i heard
"WATCH STAR TREK AND PLAY FORZA WHILE USING SKYPE"
"INNOVATION INNOVATION INNOVATION"
"LOOK AT HOW YOUR CHARACTERS ARMS IN GHOSTS HAS HAIR ON IT NOW "
"WERE COLABORITING WITH EA SPORTS AND NFL TO BRING MORE SPORTS CAUSE THATS WHAT GAMERS WANT MORE ****ING SPORTS

finalark

SNORLAX
Probably the reboot.

Because according to the general public no Star Trek existed before that film, and it fills me with minor nerd rage whenever people refer to Star Trek XI as the first movie.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I used my PS3 tons more, I really liked what MS did with the 360. It was a really good console overall, it was just the exclusives didn't excite me and that there was region lock.
No idea why they made some of these choices for Xbox One. 3rd console curse strikes again?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA

The First Amendment? The hell is that?

Of course wouldn't that be something? You're watching a movie with your girlfriend and start making a move "Ah ah ah.... not until you're married!". Then it throws a glass of ice water at your crotch.

Or the more likely scenario, as soon as she walked into the room the movie will pause and it will tell you have exceeded the maximum amount of people allowed to view the movie:rotfl:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Annnnd....any chance of me getting that is now gone. Once I buy a system and game, if I want to have 2 people or 200 people watch/play it, that's my right because I already bought it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
they call it the xbox one because that's the number of people that will buy it

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
to be fair, what i've heard about the ps4 doesn't make it sound a whole lot better...

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
How would that work at things like EVO, especially if the Xbox One got some exclusive/first party fighters?

finalark

SNORLAX
I guess the Kinect will read heat signatures to tell if too many people are watching a movie or a game or something.

So if you want to play local multiplayer get ready to cover yourself and your bros in mud, Predator style.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Not going to lie, that sounds kind of fun.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How would that work at things like EVO, especially if the Xbox One got some exclusive/first party fighters?
The article got a lot of reactions when it was published last year. First, I don't even know if this is implemented into the actual Kinect, it's just patented. 2nd, even if it is, that doesn't mean it's going to be forced on games.
to be fair, what i've heard about the ps4 doesn't make it sound a whole lot better...
I actually like how the PS4 is turning out. Built in (although it's UStream...) streaming is neat, the RAM and it being easy to develop for is reassuring since I hated how some PS3 ports turned out, I own a Vita so that gives me personally something (but definitely not for a lot of people), and other stuff. I'm curious on the "having a friend take control" of the game from his PS4. Only because I'm wondering if this makes local play effectively work as online play with this workaround.

Just have Sony not screw up the price and I'll consider getting it sooner than later.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, as long as we don't have it cost 599 US Dollars again, we should be fine. And one of my main problems with the whole Kinect thing is well...principle.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually like how the PS4 is turning out. Built in (although it's UStream...) streaming is neat, the RAM and it being easy to develop for is reassuring since I hated how some PS3 ports turned out, I own a Vita so that gives me personally something (but definitely not for a lot of people), and other stuff. I'm curious on the "having a friend take control" of the game from his PS4. Only because I'm wondering if this makes local play effectively work as online play with this workaround.

Just have Sony not screw up the price and I'll consider getting it sooner than later.
I don't care for any of this social media **** they're shoving in my face.

I think i'm just going to skip this generation completely. Except for maybe wii u, and i'll just play bayonetta/smash 4/zelda until 2020 when sony/microsoft decide to take another stab at not being awful.

finalark

SNORLAX
Pretty much this. I have never seen video games as a social thing, ever. It might stem from me growing up primarily playing single-player games but I have never been into the whole "SHARE YOUR TROPHIES AND **** WITH YOUR FRIENDS!" thing. Hell, I have a hard time getting on-board with online multiplayer as it is.

I think i'm just going to skip this generation completely. Except for maybe wii u, and i'll just play bayonetta/smash 4/zelda until 2020 when sony/microsoft decide to take another stab at not being awful.
I'm already planning on getting a Wii U. I just don't get why people act like only MS and Sony consoles are worth a damn while Nintendo is just another thing that really doesn't count.

HashSlingingSlasher

Smash Rookie
I hate how they say the kinect was "groundbreaking" when they know good and well it had horibible detection when playing kinect games

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Pretty much this. I have never seen video games as a social thing, ever. It might stem from me growing up primarily playing single-player games but I have never been into the whole "SHARE YOUR TROPHIES AND **** WITH YOUR FRIENDS!" thing. Hell, I have a hard time getting on-board with online multiplayer as it is.
Gonna play devil's advocate here since this is really annoying as well. First of all, does it matter if it isn't obtrusive? You can already post and share your achievements and trophies on current gen. Did you stop turning on your consoles because of that?

2nd, don't get a Wii U then. If Social Networking is your issue, obtrusive or not, then don't get a Wii U. Miiverse is the EXACT same thing. It's optional, you can post pictures, you communicate with others through a social network on your console and other devices like pc, tablets, and smartphones. It was a big thing they promoted last year at E3 (and personally, Miiverse is pretty neat) that it was quite a big focus. If you guys forgot about it, Nintendo really sucks at getting their features across to gamers and casuals.

While I tend to ignore social networking, I'm interested in seeing how "some" of it develops. Miiverse is actually a neat idea from Nintendo, imo. Giving out hints from random players was also a neat feature in Demons Souls.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gonna play devil's advocate here since this is really annoying as well. First of all, does it matter if it isn't obtrusive? You can already post and share your achievements and trophies on current gen. Did you stop turning on your consoles because of that?

2nd, don't get a Wii U then. If Social Networking is your issue, obtrusive or not, then don't get a Wii U. Miiverse is the EXACT same thing. It's optional, you can post pictures, you communicate with others through a social network on your console and other devices like pc, tablets, and smartphones. It was a big thing they promoted last year at E3 (and personally, Miiverse is pretty neat) that it was quite a big focus. If you guys forgot about it, Nintendo really sucks at getting their features across to gamers and casuals.

While I tend to ignore social networking, I'm interested in seeing how "some" of it develops. Miiverse is actually a neat idea from Nintendo, imo. Giving out hints from random players was also a neat feature in Demons Souls.
How is it not obtrusive? there are literally buttons on the controller specifically for social media stuff. And i'm probably going to be clicking them accidentally. all. the. ****ing. time. and inb4 i'm not going to be able to turn off these features either, or i will be able to turn them off and i'll just get a cute little notification every 5 minutes telling me about all of the great options i am missing out on.

I didn't know about any of the social networking options on the wii u, and if i haven't heard about them yet, it's obviously not a big enough deal to influence my decision on whether or not i want to buy one. but i haven't really invested much time researching the wii u yet, which right now it's listed as a maybe, possibly in the distant future when there are games on it i actually care about.

Also, that isn't my only problem with the system, but it was the major theme of your post minus the ease of development, which i have no opinion on.

they call it the xbox one because that's the number of people that will buy it
Also the amount of games for it.

It's actually a very intelligent name when you think about it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like the name the Xbox One initially, since it makes a statement that "all you need is this console [for your digital entertainment]"...

...however, after realizing it required a Kinect, Xbox Two sounds more suitable, because it requires two giant hunk of masses, one of which is practically worthless. Seriously, that thing is worthless, and by the sounds of it, if it breaks, is as messed up as the Xbox 360's at launch, or catches fire, your gaming time is over!

Also, some of that EA Sports games graphics (CGI to be more precise) looks awful. Like, cheesy N64 style awful. I say that in the worst ways, since it was supposed to be realistic (but then again, it is EA, and they fail A LOT!).

Seriously, as lackluster as I felt the PS4 and WiiU reveals were, this one tops the cake, and it isn't even close. Nothing of interest was presented here. No unique periphials (something to replace the Kinect please; no, the Kinect One or whatever doesn't count), no solidly presented idea (just theorcrasting and basic ideas), and most importantly, no real unique "new" games (which are what video game consoles are all about).

Madden, NBA Live (watch it get canned for the 3rd straight time), EA Sports UFC (awful title; besides that, it isn't coming out for over a year), FIFA... "meah." None of that is interesting in the slightest IMO. Battlefield 4 was a nice touch, but that sort of game is better off on the PC (unless they got some cool PC-esk content and PC to Xbox content and capabilities, which should be a real thing).

Literally the only thing that didn't disappoint me (and I wasn't expecting much) was the controller, and it's literally nothing new. That's sad IMO.

Overall, it came off as Microsoft making an announcement about their next console just to get attention. At least Sony made an announcement to make an announcement (albeit a boring one).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The bad news just keeps coming: One does require internet connection to play games

And here's the bombshell:
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?
Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.
Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.
Harrison: Correct.
So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, Harrison said. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The bad news just keeps coming: One does require internet connection to play games

And here's the bombshell:
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?
Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.
Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.
Harrison: Correct.
So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, Harrison said. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.
Man, what next=??? Is EA Origins gonna be required for Xbox One=??? Because I totally see that as a possibility.

And what is the Xbox One's tagline going to be=???
"Xbox One: One Console, a million problems."
"I got 99 problems and Xbox is the only one."
"Xbox One: One generic garbage can without Kinect."
"Xbox One: And you thought the Atari Jaguar was bad!"
"Xbox One: Do what Nintendon't: Require a periphial you hate for everything, make no exclusive games, require a fee to play online, and require the console to have an online connection."

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How is it not obtrusive? there are literally buttons on the controller specifically for social media stuff. And i'm probably going to be clicking them accidentally. all. the. ****ing. time. and inb4 i'm not going to be able to turn off these features either, or i will be able to turn them off and i'll just get a cute little notification every 5 minutes telling me about all of the great options i am missing out on.

I didn't know about any of the social networking options on the wii u, and if i haven't heard about them yet, it's obviously not a big enough deal to influence my decision on whether or not i want to buy one. but i haven't really invested much time researching the wii u yet, which right now it's listed as a maybe, possibly in the distant future when there are games on it i actually care about.

Also, that isn't my only problem with the system, but it was the major theme of your post minus the ease of development, which i have no opinion on.
For me, I think I'll be fine (my hands aren't that big either). I've never accidentally pressed the home button so far or hit start during my fighting games. If the button placement really is an issue for everyone, hopefully they'll do something about it. Have it be a mandatory hold like the power button for Nintendo consoles. For notifications, I have all my notifications off on my consoles since those really did annoy me.

For Miiverse, it was actually one of the big selling points that Nintendo kept and keeps pushing for Wii U. It's arriving on 3DS as well. E3 might've focused on it more than anything else asides from Nintendo Land. There's also TVii which is like what the new Xbox is doing. You can even communicate using other social stuff like twitter and facebook.

Unless some game I'm really looking forward to comes out for PS4 early, I won't be getting one for awhile. I have my Wii U. But out of PS4 and XONE (?), I'll probably settle for PS4. And I hope it has no region lock as well.

Edit: I'm not trying to convince you or anything. I just find it fun to discuss thought process/reasons and whatnot.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ There wasn't that much to kill to begin with, judging by how awful this console looks (conceptually and how it is utilized).

Also, lol at the promised 15 exclusive games in the first year (8 being new IP's). Something tells me there will be a lot of junk games, like Fable 3, Kinect Adventures, and loads of Kinect-based games aimed at no real demographic.

Finally, I'd like to add my favorite reveal was the Halo TV show. Not because I'm interest in it (what has Spielberg made that is good recently?), but because how "lol"-worthy it was in the worst of ways. Why not just announce a new Halo game already with a short and simple "teaser trailer"=???

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
For me, I think I'll be fine (my hands aren't that big either). I've never accidentally pressed the home button so far or hit start during my fighting games. If the button placement really is an issue for everyone, hopefully they'll do something about it. Have it be a mandatory hold like the power button for Nintendo consoles. For notifications, I have all my notifications off on my consoles since those really did annoy me.

For Miiverse, it was actually one of the big selling points that Nintendo kept and keeps pushing for Wii U. It's arriving on 3DS as well. E3 might've focused on it more than anything else asides from Nintendo Land. There's also TVii which is like what the new Xbox is doing. You can even communicate using other social stuff like twitter and facebook.

Unless some game I'm really looking forward to comes out for PS4 early, I won't be getting one for awhile. I have my Wii U. But out of PS4 and XONE (?), I'll probably settle for PS4. And I hope it has no region lock as well.

Edit: I'm not trying to convince you or anything. I just find it fun to discuss thought process/reasons and whatnot.
Maybe I should be saying "social media integration", because something like miiverse doesn't really bother me. It's basically just a communication system with a fancy top coat. Twitter/Facebook/etc things are the things i dislike. I don't understand why they need to be in my game systems.

Also I dislike ps4's controller design in general. Nobody can do controller design right anymore, it seems.

ps4, so far, seems to be at better than xbox one, but not by much. especially if the rumors of them following microsoft's footsteps these these used games like shenanigans end up being true.

Top Bottom