• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox Xtravaganza - Microsoft Rep General

Which Microsoft Character Do You Want In?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 92 70.2%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Minecraft Steve

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Cuphead

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • Rash (Battletoads)

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Joanna Dark

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Conker

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • Marcus Fenix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ori

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nintendo & Microsoft have been getting pretty friendly in the past year. It all started when the two joined forces to bring cross-play to games like Minecraft, Fortnite & Rocket League last year.

Recently things have been getting even more interesting as a rumor has popped up that Xbox Game Pass will be coming to the Switch. Alongside that rumor, came another rumor that several Xbox exclusives will be making their way to the Switch as well; these games included Cuphead, Ori & The Blind Forest, Rare Replay & Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Of course, this had lead to a ton of speculation that a Microsoft character will get into Smash. This seems to have exploded today as Cuphead was officially announced to be coming to Switch. Since there’s a similar thread talking about all of Square Enix’s possible characters, why not one for Microsoft?

Now let’s talk about the candidates:

8EF23916-DCF6-4651-8209-3CC7507F7EDF.jpeg

The fan favorite. Banjo Kazooie was one of the N64’s most beloved games, with Banjo himself being a Nintendo mascot during that era. But alas, Banjo left Nintendo & became a member of Team Xbox.

The series has sadly been dormant since 2008, but fans still adore the series. Banjo was once thought to be impossible, but hopes everywhere were answered when Xbox President Phil Spencer said he’d like to see Banjo in Smash Bros.

Ever since then, Banjo has been one of the most requested characters for Smash; with Ridley & K Rool out of the way, Banjo is most likely THE most requested. Banjo probably had a huge presence on the Smash Ballot & Nintendo is most likely aware of that. Banjo DLC would bring in the big bucks. Banjo is even a popular pick amongst Japanese gamers.

I also feel like Sakurai personally would want the Bear & bird in Smash. The duo was originally planned to be included to be in Melee, but were ultimately cut due to licensing reasons. I have to imagine Sakurai’s had these two in the back of his head for years. Banjo may be one of the elements that would truly make this the ultimate Smash game in Sakurai’s eyes.

But why would Microsoft want a dormant franchise to get into Smash? Well for one, Spencer knows it’s what fans want. But I also feel Microsoft has plans for the series.

There’s been a slow push for the series similar to what Battletoads received before getting a new title. Banjo was prominent in the marketing of Xbox One Backwards Compatibility, Xbox Game Pass & Rare Replay. Banjo also had a couple Easter eggs in Sea of Thieves, as well as some seemingly random merchandise recently.

Banjo getting into Smash could be great promotion for a new title in the series, much like Battletoads’s Rash in Killer Instinct.

6D60D266-9AF6-4C8B-9A51-7897E6A0004D.jpeg

Master Chief is the Xbox’s equivalent to Mario. Not only is the character super iconic, but his series is highly significant in the history of gaming. Halo helped to popularize the shooter genre & online gaming among the masses; if it wasn’t for Halo, the current landscape of online gaming & even consoles could’ve been drastically different. Master Chief is arguably the biggest character in gaming that’s not in Smash yet.

While he was once thought to be an impossible pick for Smash Bros, the recent friendship between Microsoft & Nintendo turns that thought process on its head. If Halo does make its way to the Switch, then Master Chief getting into Smash would just be obvious.

The Halo series may have hit a slump during this gen, but Microsoft is looking to bring it back in big ways. Master Chief Collection is making its way to PC, with the possibility of it coming to Switch. The next game in the series, Halo: Infinite, is looking to be Halo’s Breath of the Wild as it’s seemingly aiming to return to the series’s roots while adding a fresh spin.

The Halo series, & Xbox in general, has always struggled to gain any traction in Japan. One of Microsoft’s goals behind partnering with Nintendo may be to finally achieve some success in the East. Master Chief in Smash could be a great way to get Japanese gamers interested in Halo; which could ultimately lead them to buying copies of MCC or subscribing to Game Pass.

What would Nintendo gain from this? Well, Master Chief would be Ultimate’s version of Snake & Cloud; a highly iconic character that was once thought to be “impossible”. His inclusion would shock gamers around the world & get them talking about Smash again, a good majority of these people would buy this DLC.

On top of that, Master Chief could be a way to balance the highly speculated inclusion of Dragon Quest’s Erdrick. Dragon Quest is in the reverse situation of Halo; DQ is HUGE in Japan, but has a minuscule presence in the West. Erdrick’s inclusion might not be popular with casual gamers, so why not include a highly popular Western character that’ll make them go crazy?

Master Chief has been seemingly deconfirmed by 343’s Frankie. But the Tweet is a bit iffy, it almost seems jokelike as it has some misspellings in it. Frankie has been known to troll fans in the past & even outright lied about the existence of Halo 2’s remake. However if Frankie was telling the truth, Master Chief could still be a strong candidate for a potential Fighter Pass 2.

05690D13-7FE8-455D-BF14-21D95BA7A6D7.jpeg

Minecraft is one of gaming’s greatest success stories; it was a simple indie game that became a pop culture juggernaut. Minecraft is the second highest selling game of all-time, only behind Tetris. The game has influenced the lives of millions of people. Minecraft has become many kids’ introduction to gaming. Its impact on gaming is rivaled only by the likes of Mario & Pokemon.

Despite being owned by Microsoft, Minecraft has appeared on the Wii U, 3DS & Switch; with there even being a special Creeper themed edition of the New 2DS. Minecraft is also the best selling multi-platform game on the Switch. It’s safe to say that the game has had a strong relationship with Nintendo. The game is even popular in Japan. Sakurai has even stated how he’s lost countless hours in Minecraft’s worlds.

However, when it comes to Smash there’s been a lot of reluctance with Minecraft’s Steve joining the fun.

A lot of this, to me personally, feels like people hating on the game because it’s “cringey” now. Minecraft’s amassed an army of child fans & with that brings a lot of cringey things that children do on the internet. But I don’t think that should ruin one’s entire perception of a game, Smash & Nintendo have a lot of negative stereotypes too. The game itself is still a ton of fun & full of unique experiences, especially if you play with friends.

I actually think Steve could have a pretty unique moveset, especially if Sakurai were to really get creative with representing Minecraft’s building & crafting features. However, I do feel the major hurdle with the character is how he’s animated. Minecraft has very simple & blocky animations; it works fine in-game, but often looks weird in titles such as Telltale’s Minecraft series. It would be very challenging to get Steve to look right in a fast paced, action heavy game like Smash.

It’s pretty clear why Microsoft & Nintendo would go with Steve. Despite not being a popular pick with the hardcore crowd, Minecraft in Smash would be everywhere. The legions of people who still play Minecraft would be potential customers for this DLC & Ultimate in general.

On top of that, over the years Smash has become about celebrating the history of gaming. Minecraft’s become a very big part of that history & it’s sure to be fondly remembered in the future much like many of the legendary franchises already in the series.

Theres’s also the fact that Minecraft content has been highly rumored for Ultimate since last year. Several respected leakers have come out & said that Smash will be getting some form of Minecraft. Though very few have given any concrete information on whether this is in the form of a fighter or something else. But with how often this has been brought up, I do feel that Minecraft will be represented in Smash... even if it’s just a stage.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
93A00466-4FAE-492A-B973-F0343A5AAA01.jpeg

Cuphead is the newest of the four main characters suspected as the Microsoft rep. His game debuted in 2017, only two years ago. However, the game made a big splash as it instantly became a success due to its amazing art style & old school difficulty. Cuphead is a retro gaming character with a snazzy coat of paint on, he’d fit in perfectly alongside the likes of Mega Man & the Belmonts.

Cuphead was just announced to be coming to the Switch which could greatly increase his chances in Smash. Before this, the character was thought to be an impossibilty. Not only was he incredibly recent, he was also an Xbox exclusive character. However, Joker was in the exact same position before he sneaked his way into Smash.

It should be noted that Cuphead isn’t actually a Microsoft character though. Microsoft helped fund the production of the game, but they do not own the IP or developers. It does seem like they played a role in getting the game on Switch though, as Nintendo thanked Microsoft during the Nindie Direct.

Cuphead not being an actual Microsoft character could ultimately hurt his chances. Unless Microsoft has plans to purchase Studio MDHR, I don’t really see a reason that they would push for Cuphead to get into Smash over one of their own characters.

I also don’t see much of a reason for Nintendo to choose Cuphead either. Sakurai played the game & praised it, but he’s not the main decider when it comes to the DLC picks. The only reason I could see for Cuphead being added is to cash-in on his recent popularity, I feel the character would generate a lot of favorable conversation & potential sales.

I think Cuphead is the least likely of the “Big 4”. But a lot of crazy choices have made their way into Smash Bros, maybe Cuphead will be the next one.

6CA1C617-765C-46E8-92B1-5CE2712B06B1.jpeg

These six are super unlikely, but I felt they’re notable enough to bring up anyway.

Rash - Battletoads is a NES classic, that’s about to finally make its triumphant return after years of teasing from Microsoft. Out of these six, I feel he’d be the most likely due to Sakurai’s love of NES characters & Microsoft wanting to promote the new game.

Fulgore - Killer Instinct was Nintendo’s exclusive fighting game on the SNES & N64. The series has recently made a comeback in the popular 2013 reboot, one of the Xbox One’s bigger success stories. A sequel is rumored currently. It’d be neat to get a fighter from Nintendo’s pre-Smash era of fighting games, especially one as cool looking as Fulgore.

Joanna Dark - The spiritual successor to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark was one of the N64’s last big exclusives. It’s prequel was a successful Xbox 360 launch title. Rumors of a new game in the series have been whispered throughout the Xbox community for a couple years now. An item from the series was actually in Melee, so Sakurai should have some level of respect for Perfect Dark.

Marcus Fenix - Gears of War is Xbox’s second most popular series. The series was highly influential during the 360’s generation. The series even had a niche fanbase in Japan. However, the series is known for its over the top violence & vulgarity so I think Marcus is the least likely of any major Microsoft character. There also doesn’t seem to be any sign of Gears of War heading to Switch outside of the rumored Game Pass unlike Cuphead, Halo, Ori & the various Rare series.

Conker - Conker had the raunchiest & most shocking game on the N64. While it didn’t light the sales charts on fire, it quickly became a cult classic. However, Nintendo was not a fan of the game & was quick to discard it. I don’t think Nintendo would want Conker in Smash. Honestly, I don’t think Conker, himself, would want to be in either; he’d just want to sit back & laugh at everyone beating each other up.

Ori - Ori is a newer series, but the first game in the series is regarded as one of the Xbox One’s best games. With a sequel coming out & a rumored port of the first game to Switch, Ori does have a shot at getting into Smash as a promotional tool. However, I think this is unlikely; mainly because the series/character (sadly) doesn’t have the same notoriety as his competition. Hopefully a Switch port will gain the series a bunch of new fans.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not judging, but why Marcus for Gears of War? Sure, he's the main protagonist of the first trilogy, but I feel that if anyone from Gears should make it in, it should be General RAAM.

Why? Well, he's not only one of the most popular Gears villains even to this day, he's also fairly unique with his control over Kryll. And sure, he's a swordfighter, but that sword looks more like a knife in RAAM's hands. Besides, he's already got some material to work with as a Smash character if you look into Killer Instinct. Also, we have yet to see a franchise whose only playable character is a villain, and we know Smash could use more villains even though we just got Ridley and K. Rool (and to an extent, Incineroar).

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Marcus is way too violent to get in. His main weapon is a chainsaw gun that decapitates Locust.

Regardless Banjo is the only right answer.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not judging, but why Marcus for Gears of War? Sure, he's the main protagonist of the first trilogy, but I feel that if anyone from Gears should make it in, it should be General RAAM.

Why? Well, he's not only one of the most popular Gears villains even to this day, he's also fairly unique with his control over Kryll. And sure, he's a swordfighter, but that sword looks more like a knife in RAAM's hands. Besides, he's already got some material to work with as a Smash character if you look into Killer Instinct. Also, we have yet to see a franchise whose only playable character is a villain, and we know Smash could use more villains even though we just got Ridley and K. Rool (and to an extent, Incineroar).
As unlikely as I think the series is, RAAM doesn't exemplify any of the main tropes of the series (third-person cover-based shooter, futuristic war setting, etc.) aside from the gore/violence factor, which would need to be obviously toned down tremendously to fit Smash's E10+ rating anyway. KI was different in that it's a more traditional fighter rather than platform-based, and RAAM perfectly fit the aesthetic there. Marcus fits in with Smash about as well as a chainsaw in a pillow factory.

Though all that would make it all the more endearing if it did somehow happen.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
While I only voted for the characters I want most of all (Banjo-Kazooie and Ori), I'd be down with other choices like Conker, Master Chief, Cuphead... maybe Steve. I'll take Steve with open arms if we get Banjo.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 5 of the 10 choices from Rare IPs? I think that's saying something.
More choices could be added, but I'd say this is a pretty good mix.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Marcus is way too violent to get in. His main weapon is a chainsaw gun that decapitates Locust.

Regardless Banjo is the only right answer.
I mean we do have Bayonetta whose games are M rated and you can decapitate and mutilate angels in that game series. After Bayonetta I honestly think most violent M rated characters are okay to be accepted.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I mean we do have Bayonetta whose games are M rated and you can decapitate and mutilate angels in that game series. After Bayonetta I honestly think most violent M rated characters are okay to be accepted.
Bayo can be implemented faithfully without decapitating people though.

The lancer is the most iconic gears weapon, and everything in Gears is pretty violent. It'd be way harder to implement him than even an MK character, where the gore is mostly in special moves and fatalities.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
View attachment 199890

Cuphead is the newest of the four main characters suspected as the Microsoft rep. His game debuted in 2017, only two years ago. However, the game made a big splash as it instantly became a success due to its amazing art style & old school difficulty. Cuphead is a retro gaming character with a snazzy coat of paint on, he’d fit in perfectly alongside the likes of Mega Man & the Belmonts.

Cuphead was just announced to be coming to the Switch which could greatly increase his chances in Smash. Before this, the character was thought to be an impossibilty. Not only was he incredibly recent, he was also an Xbox exclusive character. However, Joker was in the exact same position before he sneaked his way into Smash.

It should be noted that Cuphead isn’t actually a Microsoft character though. Microsoft helped fund the production of the game, but they do not own the IP or developers. It does seem like they played a role in getting the game on Switch though, as Nintendo thanked Microsoft during the Nindie Direct.

Cuphead not being an actual Microsoft character could ultimately hurt his chances. Unless Microsoft has plans to purchase Studio MDHR, I don’t really see a reason that they would push for Cuphead to get into Smash over one of their own characters.

I also don’t see much of a reason for Nintendo to choose Cuphead either. Sakurai played the game & praised it, but he’s not the main decider when it comes to the DLC picks. The only reason I could see for Cuphead being added is to cash-in on his recent popularity, I feel the character would generate a lot of favorable conversation & potential sales.

I think Cuphead is the least likely of the “Big 4”. But a lot of crazy choices have made their way into Smash Bros, maybe Cuphead will be the next one.

View attachment 199891

These six are super unlikely, but I felt they’re notable enough to bring up anyway.

Rash - Battletoads is a NES classic, that’s about to finally make its triumphant return after years of teasing from Microsoft. Out of these six, I feel he’d be the most likely due to Sakurai’s love of NES characters & Microsoft wanting to promote the new game.

Fulgore - Killer Instinct was Nintendo’s exclusive fighting game on the SNES & N64. The series has recently made a comeback in the popular 2013 reboot, one of the Xbox One’s bigger success stories. A sequel is rumored currently. It’d be neat to get a fighter from Nintendo’s pre-Smash era of fighting games, especially one as cool looking as Fulgore.

Joanna Dark - The spiritual successor to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark was one of the N64’s last big exclusives. It’s prequel was a successful Xbox 360 launch title. Rumors of a new game in the series have been whispered throughout the Xbox community for a couple years now. An item from the series was actually in Melee, so Sakurai should have some level of respect for Perfect Dark.

Marcus Fenix - Gears of War is Xbox’s second most popular series. The series was highly influential during the 360’s generation. The series even had a niche fanbase in Japan. However, the series is known for its over the top violence & vulgarity so I think Marcus is the least likely of any major Microsoft character. There also doesn’t seem to be any sign of Gears of War heading to Switch outside of the rumored Game Pass unlike Cuphead, Halo, Ori & the various Rare series.

Conker - Conker had the raunchiest & most shocking game on the N64. While it didn’t light the sales charts on fire, it quickly became a cult classic. However, Nintendo was not a fan of the game & was quick to discard it. I don’t think Nintendo would want Conker in Smash. Honestly, I don’t think Conker, himself, would want to be in either; he’d just want to sit back & laugh at everyone beating each other up.

Ori - Ori is a newer series, but the first game in the series is regarded as one of the Xbox One’s best games. With a sequel coming out & a rumored port of the first game to Switch, Ori does have a shot at getting into Smash as a promotional tool. However, I think this is unlikely; mainly because the series/character (sadly) doesn’t have the same notoriety as his competition. Hopefully a Switch port will gain the series a bunch of new fans.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on what you said about Conker, because Nintendo was a fan of the game. If they weren't, they wouldn't have hosted an event back in 2001 where you can buy a beer, get Conker-themed condoms, and play Bad Fur Day. Nintendo just didn't want to show it in Nintendo Power because kids are the target audience of the magazine. Conker would definitely join the roster, because it must pay well. He loves those cash prizes ;)

Conker is also the second face of Rare, and is still used by Microsoft. He's used a lot more frequently and recently than Banjo. I'd say the squirrel has a pretty high chance compared to other Microsoft characters.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Fair enough, I knew about the condoms but I didn’t know they were from Nintendo.

I’m a fan of Conker, so I’d be happy if he somehow weaseled his way into Smash.

It’s sort of crazy that Microsoft hasn’t used him more. Xbox’s audience generally goes for more “mature” games so a game with a lot of adult humor like Conker would probably do well if it was good. Especially now with 4th wall breaking properties like Deadpool & Rick & Morty being big.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Fair enough, I knew about the condoms but I didn’t know they were from Nintendo.

I’m a fan of Conker, so I’d be happy if he somehow weaseled his way into Smash.

It’s sort of crazy that Microsoft hasn’t used him more. Xbox’s audience generally goes for more “mature” games so a game with a lot of adult humor like Conker would probably do well if it was good. Especially now with 4th wall breaking properties like Deadpool & Rick & Morty being big.
I get the feeling the cute talking animal stuff is what probably throws the "mature" audience off. That's kinda why honestly Bad Fur Day was always doomed to fail as far as sales goes, because it obviously can't appeal to kids but it also doesn't exactly appeal to most adults, either.

I think a Mii Gunner outfit of Conker would be pretty sweet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's gonna be Banjo or nothing. Master Chief is disconfirmed and there's no way they go for Steve.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think Conker has any chance in hell making it into Smash.

First of all, Conker has less going for him compared to the 3 characters brought up in the OP. If they were to go with a rare character, I don't see why they'd use the squirrel over the Bear & Bird duo. Honestly, I think even Battletoads have more of a shot for being a retro or nolstalgia pick, and they do actually have a game coming, while Conker as far I know, doesn't.

Secondly, while I realize Sakurai has been open to "mature" titles, I still think Conker's Bad Fur Day might be a bit much even then.

SKX31

Smash Master
Master Chief has been seemingly deconfirmed by 343’s Frankie. But the Tweet is a bit iffy, it almost seems jokelike as it has some misspellings in it. Frankie has been known to troll fans in the past & even outright lied about the existences of Halo 2’s remake. However if Frankie was telling the truth, Master Chief could still be a strong candidate for a potential Fighter Pass 2.

Um, if you don't mind me asking, could you please tell when he lied (and provide a source). That sounds like something that could literally upend and derail the entire "Master Chief's deconfirmed" train of thought that's been going around.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't think Conker has any chance in hell making it into Smash.

First of all, Conker has less going for him compared to the 3 characters brought up in the OP. If they were to go with a rare character, I don't see why they'd use the squirrel over the Bear & Bird duo. Honestly, I think even Battletoads have more of a shot for being a retro or nolstalgia pick, and they do actually have a game coming, while Conker as far I know, doesn't.

Secondly, while I realize Sakurai has been open to "mature" titles, I still think Conker's Bad Fur Day might be a bit much even then.
I can definitely understand your perspective on Conker. While I respectfully disagree, I'll try my best to explain how I see things.

Conker is a character that hasn't had the best support in terms of sales numbers, but is definitely one of the most promoted characters from Rare. After Bad Fur Day, he got Live and Reloaded (2005), Conker's Big Reunion (2014), and Young Conker (2016). While it isn't a lot, I'd still say that gives Conker some things going for him, it's definitely more than Banjo. Plus, like Banjo, Conker is also receiving new merch in the form of Totaku and other figurines. All of this proves that Microsoft/Rare feel that Conker is still profitable, and they enjoy using him in promotions. Just look at any Rare promotion, and you'll find Conker right alongside Banjo. The two are inseparable, and got a Batman/Superman dynamic going for them.

As for Bad Fur Day being too mature, I can see that. But Conker himself isn't. He curses and guzzles booze in very brief parts of the game, so it's not like M-rated nonsense defines his character. What does define his character are the many E-rated weapons at his disposal, and his guns could even be toned down if needed.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I like a lot of the choices, especially Master Chief and Steve. But if I had to pick one then it's gotta be the Chief. He's an iconic juggernaut for gaming and Microsoft's mascot. His inclusion would probably be one of the most shocking announcements in Smash history.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Great post! I like how you've presented all the characters.
If I had to pick just one it'd most definitely be Master Chief. Along with the Smash franchise, Halo has been my main favorite and most played of the two. There are many possibilities for his moveset to pull from all the games while still having him feel like your playing the actual character despite being in a radically different game!
However, I also voted for Banjo&Kazooie and Steve.
While I've never played the BK games there is no doubt in my mind how cool the characters are and how much fun they'd be to play while being a relatively unique addition to the game.
I think Steve on the other hand would have an even more unique moveset comparatively and there is a ton to pull from the game to create this moveset much to some peoples surprise. While I'm not an avid Minecraft player, I do understand its importance in gaming history and just how many people would love to see the character as DLC so I decided to cast my vote towards them.

On a side note, I saw someone talk about Blinx. I played the sequel which was a lot of fun and he'd make for an interesting character but sadly I doubt he has any real chance of getting in :ohwell:

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While I haven't played Banjo Kazooie; I do think they deserve to get in.

My personal pick would be Joanna Dark. However, would also like Fulgore.

I haven't played Blinx 1 or 2 but I really have an interest in trying them. I'm just glad other people remember him.

Honestly, this discussion REALLY makes me want Xbox to do their own crossover game! If anyone is interested; I have a discussion about a Xbox Crossover in the "Lighthouse" section of the Smashboards forums. I made a list of Characters, Items, Stages, and general ideas for what a possible Xbox Smash-like game could have. Check it out!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think Xbox could have a pretty solid roster for their own Smash style game. Especially if you get in secondary characters like Arbiter, Grunty, General RAAM, etc... As well as other Xbox series I didn’t mention like Fable, Crackdown, Alan Wake & Sunset Overdrive.

But I’d still rather see some Xbox characters in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd much rather both Xbox and PlayStation get their crossover fighters, they've got lots of stuff that's iconic but not really Nintendo-ish.

Banjo should still be in Smash, Rare is a Nintendo studio I don't care what anyone says.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd much rather both Xbox and PlayStation get their crossover fighters, they've got lots of stuff that's iconic but not really Nintendo-ish.
Yea, I agree on the rival consoles also having crossover fighters would be ideal (on competition spurs innovation basis) - I think the biggest reason why that didn't stick is timing. To borrow from Yahtzee (from 2013 no less):

It's in the same boat as the Justice League movie; it's trying to fight a battle 3 years too late that you can't possibly win! Because your opponent isn't on the battlefield - they're at home, rubbing brass-o on their trophy they got for winning the battle 3 years ago that you just joined and are infinitely less well equipped to fight!
Of course, those factors didn't help either (You know them probably). So what we got was an initially well-recieved game that turned out to be half-hearted with very little lasting power. The nails in the coffin were probably Superbot's patching being a mixed bag, Sony cutting the lifeline on Superbot post-launch and the competitive scene being more lopsided than Brawl's. The Supers being the only method to KO meant that KOs were over-emphasized and not guaranteed to land in PSASBR. Unless the character had a kill confirm. And several had OP ones at that. That stings the most since Brawl's competitive side, yeeeaah. PSASBR had a decent chance of getting a major foot in the competitive scene, but the half-heartedness from Sony and its mishandling of Superbot killed its long term.

PSASBR's relative failure (compared to Smash) is keeping not only Sony, but also Microsoft, from developing more crossover fighters. In case they fall flat. Corporations are notorious for hating risks after all. Especially when a competitor like Nintendo is King of this particular hill. That's not to say PSASBR's a horrible game - I don't get that impression from what I've seen. Just that the flaws are significant enough to pose a major risk.

So that's the world we're living in. Where Smash is the only game of its kind in town, and any potential Sony / Microsoft characters have to go here. For at least 5-10 years. And I'm honestly okay with this not-optimal scenario.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel the main problem with PSABR was supers being the only way to KO. It was clearly their way of trying to be different from Smash, but it just didn’t work.

To be honest, they should’ve just tried to go compeletely competitive focused. They should’ve tried to make Melee 2.

To be fair, I don’t think the third party characters helped either. Donte is just a huge “EW”. Big Daddy is iconic but really isn’t a “PlayStation AllStar”. I love Raiden but they should’ve had Big Boss in the game. The complete lack of Final Fantasy was also a major miss.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm down for any Microsoft rep to be honest. Master Chief, Banjo, Marcus Fenix, Ori, Cuphead, or Steve. Bring 'em on.
I feel the main problem with PSABR was supers being the only way to KO. It was clearly their way of trying to be different from Smash, but it just didn’t work.

To be honest, they should’ve just tried to go compeletely competitive focused. They should’ve tried to make Melee 2.

To be fair, I don’t think the third party characters helped either. Donte is just a huge “EW”. Big Daddy is iconic but really isn’t a “PlayStation AllStar”. I love Raiden but they should’ve had Big Boss in the game. The complete lack of Final Fantasy was also a major miss.
Not to mention the lack of Spyro, Crash, and Lara Croft. And then they went and canceled one of the characters everyone wanted. ****ing Dart was the ONE character I was waiting for and they canceled him. Still salty about that honestly.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Since we’re on the topic, here’s what I think PS & Xbox crossover rosters should look like.

I almost wanted to include Darth Revan on the Xbox side since Sony has Spidey. But I wanted 32 for each lol

34DE0FC3-EAB0-4B09-8394-5B887259394B.jpeg

F07CB684-5516-4142-8548-20C6502CCF36.jpeg

B704B0D4-9FBF-4F3C-A5B8-9900AAEBAEBC.jpeg

B0E83C87-BFCB-4C62-B17E-06619E45781C.jpeg

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Since we’re on the topic, here’s what I think PS & Xbox crossover rosters should look like.

I almost wanted to include Darth Revan on the Xbox side since Sony has Spidey. But I wanted 32 for each lol

View attachment 200276
View attachment 200277

View attachment 200278
View attachment 200279
Really great selections, but you are aware that that character you picked from GTA isn't CJ, right?

Also, instead of a second Kratos and Spider-Man I'd go with Dart and Nariko.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Damn, I thought it was CJ. I didn’t want to use any in-game screenshots & thought that was just a stylized version. Oops lol

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
For your PSA roster; No Spider-Man as he is not a video game character. Add Chimera (Resistance), Ellen (Folklore), 2B (Nier: Automata), and Oka (Toukiden).

For your Xbox roster; I LOVE that you have Kaim Argonar there as I love Lost Odyssey! Replace the last row with Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Jack of Blades (Fable), Kameo (Kameo), and Raikoh (Otogi). In fact, add Kasumi (Dead or Alive) and Blinx (Blinx: The Time Sweeper) as well.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel if any of the big 3 were to break the “no game characters” rule in their crossover game, it’d be Sony. If I’m correct, Spidey was potentially going to be in the first game.

I also honestly doubt MS would ever put Blinx in. They seem to be ashamed of him. & tbh, they should be since they should’ve tried to make Banjo or Conker their cartoon-y mascot from the start anyway.

Back to the main topic, here’s an article where Sakurai praises Halo 2 along with Half-Life 2. So Sakurai has probably played atleast the first 3 Halo games.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we're being technical, Sony co-owns the Spider-Man IP (not just videogames and movies, but comics and merch as well), so it would be easy for them to get him in.

I still think he shouldn't be in because he's not a videogame character.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If we're being technical, Sony co-owns the Spider-Man IP (not just videogames and movies, but comics and merch as well), so it would be easy for them to get him in.

I still think he shouldn't be in because he's not a videogame character.
To clear things up, Sony owns the license to use Spider-Man in film, and their game, and the rights to all profits generated by such and merchandise directly-related to such, but the character is 100% owned by Disney/Marvel. In other words, Sony gets to make the movies and gets the money from the merch based on the movie iteration of the character, but they don't get anything for any products that are unrelated to the films. This is why Disney/Marvel kept their distance from the movie content until they made the deal with Civil War.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To clear things up, Sony owns the license to use Spider-Man in film, and their game, and the rights to all profits generated by such and merchandise directly-related to such, but the character is 100% owned by Disney/Marvel. In other words, Sony gets to make the movies and gets the money from the merch based on the movie iteration of the character, but they don't get anything for any products that are unrelated to the films. This is why Disney/Marvel kept their distance from the movie content until they made the deal with Civil War.
That's not true, as far as I know. From what I've read, unlike the late Fox, Sony actually owns a part of the Spider-Man IP, along with the movie rights. Which is why the movie rights would have never reverted back to Marvel without the deal that was made. However, I'm struggling to find a source for this, so I could be mistaken.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That's not true, as far as I know. From what I've read, unlike the late Fox, Sony actually owns a part of the Spider-Man IP, along with the movie rights. Which is why the movie rights would have never reverted back to Marvel without the deal that was made. However, I'm struggling to find a source for this, so I could be mistaken.
Fair enough, I'm open to the fact that I am mistaken as well. As far as I was informed, Fox and Sony only had the exclusive license to use the IPs for film and such, but didn't hold any stake in the IP outside of the content they created for it directly.

I know when it came to Fox, the rights would only revert back to Marvel if they didn't produce a film using the IP every X number of years. Thisis why they made a Fantastic Four film in the 90's without releasing it and spit out that F4 remake despite the lack of demand for it. Marvel wanted the film to fail so they could get the rights back so they terminated the comic to avoid providing any advertisement in hopes of making the IP become unprofitable and force Fox to return the film rights.

During that time, Marvel could use the IP all they wanted, but chose not to specifically to spite Fox. This is also why it appeared they were trying to phase out the X-Men during that era, going as far as nearly eliminating the whole mutation thing so there could not be any new characters for Fox to use to drum up hype for their films. Of course, Disney completely purchasing Fox made these efforts completely null.

I imagine it's a similar situation with Sony and Spider-Man, but because Spidey is such a big icon and highly unlikely to be unprofitable for Sony, a partnership was the better strategy.

-----

Anyway, so that I'm not entirely off topic, when it comes to a Microsoft character in Smash, I think Banjo and Steve have the best chance. Of the two, I prefer Steve simply because his game lends to a much more unique playstyle involving, well, mining and crafting.

Top Bottom