• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox 360 Controller button setup

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
My controller arrived today, and it seems terrific for smash. The Joystick is great and the buttons are easy to use. Being a Luigi player I'm finding it easier to get the full height of the cyclone.

Here's my button setup, (N64 on left, controller on right):

A - B red button

B - A green button

R (Grab) - RB closest thin shoulder button on right side

Z (Shield) - RT Farthest large right side shoulder button

Up c button (Jump) - LB thinnest left side shoulder button

L (Taunt) - LT Farthest large shoulder button on left side

The C buttons and start buttons are irrelevant. Any modifications you would recommend?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
i believe you are currenty using an analog trigger for Z (yes/no)?
dont, its not as good for l cancelling, parrying and other stuff

try using the analog stick as a cstick, with proper practise you can djc way faster than any n64 controller will let you

also if your not interested in the c stick, try using X as a c button and see what is moe fluid when performing stuff like short hop double laser

i use xbox s controller but same rules apply

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
I do use the right trigger button for Z (RT), and I have the C-buttons being the lower right analog stick. I have the top c button set for the LB (left side thin trigger) as the top one though for shorthops. It seems a bit awkward using x to jump. Do you mean that I should assign Z to LB instead of the upper c button, and use eihter X or the c-stick for jumping?

walsh

Smash Cadet
Hello,

360 controller user here. There is a disadvantage to using the the trigger buttons on the 360 vs. the bumper buttons for z. I've found that the trigger has a mechanism limitation that doesn't allow you to spam fast enough in those situations where you need to z tech out of a combo.

I personally use LB bound to my Z. That way I am used to using that finger for z whenever I switch back to the console.

Edit: Here is my setup, I think it is the closest setup you can get to resembling an actual N64 as far as using the same fingers for the same buttons.

A = A
X = B
Y = C-Up
B = C-Left
RB = R
LB = Z
Left Analog stick = N64 Analog stick
DPad = N64 Dpad
Ltrig = L

deltroN

Smash Rookie
Hello,

360 controller user here. There is a disadvantage to using the the trigger buttons on the 360 vs. the bumper buttons for z. I've found that the trigger has a mechanism limitation that doesn't allow you to spam fast enough in those situations where you need to z tech out of a combo.

I personally use LB bound to my Z. That way I am used to using that finger for z whenever I switch back to the console.

Edit: Here is my setup, I think it is the closest setup you can get to resembling an actual N64 as far as using the same fingers for the same buttons.

A = A
X = B
Y = C-Up
B = C-Left
RB = R
LB = Z
Left Analog stick = N64 Analog stick
DPad = N64 Dpad
Ltrig = L
Mine is about the same. It works good.

Smeagol

Smash Rookie
Can somebody tell me their analog stick range and deadzone settings for the n-rage plugin?

walsh

Smash Cadet
Hi Smeagol,

I play on 78% for the range (it allows me to flashdance faster) and leave the deadzone on its default setting. Make sure you uncheck "Real N64 Range" when you change the analog stick range.

walsh

Smash Cadet
I use B normally. It allows for relatively quick short hop attacks because I can slide my thumb down to A quickly.

rom2014

Smash Rookie
This is my configuration:

A button for A
X for B
B for C
Y for C
RB for Z
RT for R
LB for L
Right analog for the remaining C's
Left analog for movement

I also have my analog range on 100% and deadzone on about 4%.

Seems to work well for me. :)

Smeagol

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks for the N-rage settings walsh and rom. One more thing, did you guys calibrate your controller before you started using it for smash?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

You can play this game...on the 360?...

CajunBacon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4742-7912-1152
i tried configuring my xbone controller and its not working. plz help