• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xanadu: Emerald Edition (ProAM doubles!?) (No tripping!?) - May 4th, 2013 - Baltimore, MD

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
PRESENTING:

(I promise the logo will look better next month, graphics folks are away this week!)
Hey Everybody! TheTantalus here and I'm proud to announce that going forward, I'll be the T.O for Xanadu games! And we've already got a very exciting event coming up for the first week of May. This should hopefully be before your finals weekends and if not make sure you study hard before and come on out to enjoy a great day of SMASH BROS. Let's take a moment to explain the name of the event:
Each Xanadu for the upcoming months will have an absolutely FREE controller giveaway! The event will match the color, so this month's giveaway is emerald.
Here is how it works: By paying the Xanadu venue fee, you will get 1 raffle ticket towards winning this controller. Keep in mind- this emerald controller is worth over 100 US dollars, so this deal is incredibly good. Let's add in also that by paying an extra $1 you can purchase additional tickets towards the raffle. So if you pay venue and by 20 raffle tickets, you'll have 21 entries in the pot. So you could have 21 chances to win a controller for a 1/5th of a price...what a deal! Let's get to the details of the event...
Location: Xanadu Games (thread has the address info! If Baltimore doesn't work as the city address, try using Halethorpe or Arbutus. This really isn't within "Baltimore" per se.)
So i'll be your wondering what "Singles ONLY?" means. Well It really couldn't be more clear. There will be no 2v2 at this event. I know that disappoints the 6 of your that enter doubles on a regular basis but for the other 76 of you who don't care for it we've removed it. It is mostly just a time consumer and causes issues. By moving this out of the way, we have more time to devote to singles and less reason for people to spend all day at Xanadu waiting for an opponent if they don't have to. This also lightens the load on everyone's wallet- you can just focus on singles.
Games: We'll be featuring Project:M, Brawl, and Melee (in that order.) Let's get to the schedule...
Schedule:
10:30am Venue Opens
11:00am Project M Signups begin
12:00pm Project M Pools begin
1:00pm Brawl Signups begin
2:00pm Project M Bracket/Brawl Pools begin
3:00pm Melee Signups begin
4:00pm EMERALD controller drawing/Brawl Bracket/Melee Pools begins
6:00pm Melee Bracket begins/Brawl Pro/Am Doubles Bracket
8:00pm Melee Pro/Am Doubles Bracket
If you feel so inclines, you're welcome to start up 2v2 after singles is over if you can find interest. But I will not be there past the end of Melee Singles.
This gives everybody plenty of time to break for lunch/dinner etc. and also have a boat load of time for friendlies. Also, Project:M having pools will also depend on setups, since they are usually scarce. As long as we have 4 setups I think we're OK. What's the cost?
Prices:
$10 Venue fee (First 10 setups are $5 off venue)
$10 Entry fee per tournament
$5 for Pro/Am Doubles
$1 Raffle entry for controller
Rules: These rules apply to Brawl and Melee...specific rules to follow. If you have any questions about the rules, please ask up front rather than waiting till after a match to ask. It could be too late!
General Gameplay:
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- All sets in bracket with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of 3 matches. The finals matches will be a best of 5.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch ports on your counterpick. If you do not do this on your counter pick, you may not do it on game 3.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- Round Robin will be used for all 3 events to determine a final bracket. While bracket sizes will differ based on attendance, but at a minimum half or more than half of the entrants will not advance to the final bracket.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a Counterpick in a set.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal.
Set Procedure:
1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-1 (higher seed starts)
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.
Tie Breaking:
Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.
1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. In Brawl, verify the LGL was not violated. If both players violated said LGL or neither player did, proceed to step 3.
3. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4.
4. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.
Round Robin Tie Breaking:
1. Set wins
2. Head to Head
3. Win/Loss Ratio (in %)
4. Head to Head (this applies to if two ratios are tied)
5. 1 game replay between the tied players in question
Conduct Rules:
- BYOC (already mentioned this)
- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol is banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.
Melee ONLY rules:
- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer
- Starter Stages:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land
- Counterpick stages
Pokemon Stadium
- Doubles stage changes
Pokemon Stadium is a Starter
Kongo Jungle 64 is a CP
Fountain of Dreams is banned
Brawl ONLY rules:
- 3 Stocks
- 8 minute timer
- Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned
- All Wii's are required to have the no tripping code enabled. If you do not have access to this, we will supply it for you. If your wii is not hacked- you must delete all your custom stages so that we can use the Gecko loader from the stage selector.
- 40 LGL for all characters. Only applies in a match that ends in time.
- Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
- Counterpick Stages:
Yoshi's Island
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Doubles ONLY rules:
- Team attack is set to ON
- Stock sharing is permitted
Prize Payouts:
1st: 55%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%
5th/5th: 2.5%
Much bigger prize pool since singles is the main focus. Also, if there is a 16 man bracket, almost half of them will get money!
Pro/Am Payouts:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
Food Nearby:
All within close proximity is Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. There is also a pizza place that delivers that everyone is extremely fond off, as well as Chinese take out. Xanadu should have the chinese and pizza place order list right there at the counter if you want something.
Livestream:
VGBootcamp should be providing the stream unless otherwise noted. They've done all the past Xanadu's, and are a fantastic group!
You can view the stream at www.twitch.tv/VGBootcamp
Hope EVERYONE can make it out! This event will be one to remember. I'm already gathering OoS support for this so be ready! I look forward to seeing YOU there. Remember to check out the following pages:
www.twitch.tv.com/vgbootcamp- your Xanadu stream source and will be streaming Kings of Cali 2!
www.facebook.com/tantscontrollerstore- providing the emerald controller for this event! Check it out!
www.twitter.com/xanadugames- follow them as they are our gracious hosts!
www.twitter.com/thetantalus- ask me if you have any questions
www.twitter.com/thephenomenalee- so phenomenal he moved his date so we could have this one, he'll be running the no tripping at his event in May also! Make sure you check out his next tournament EEVolution 2!
Oh yeah, and everyone make sure to use the new RSVP system within the new smashboards/smash4u forum system, it's really helpful. If you reply at AiB, please do the same. It makes it easier for the bracket.

Bones0

Smash Legend
- If you make doubles free or $1-3 entry, it'll get a really good turnout.

- Why can't you change ports game 3 if you don't game 2? That seems completely arbitrary. We should just use the MBR's port rules.

- What is considered stalling?

- I'd like to see pools for all of the events, or at the very least an amateur bracket for those that get knocked out in the first half. You essentially replace friendly time with more tournament matches so people feel like they get their money's worth, we have more data for ranking systems, and you will just be seeding from the original bracket so it shouldn't take a up a lot of the TOs' time.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I think I'll come to this for Brawl and maybe P:M.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Welp.

Me, Zanna, 2Fast and Smokey are very interested so we'll probably get a plan going so everyone can make it, might even bring a new friend of mine along for P:M

I'm also going to just start using Yars as my tag and name again so ****** can remember who I am not that I'm especially important.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Pending

Why isn't this named something like "Your Lack of Teams is Disturbing," "Xanadu Wars," "Lucas Arts Rememberance," or "General Xanadu?"

It's on national Star Wars day, and we just lost a major contributor to gaming (Lucas Arts). So many posibilities!

That emerald controller is cool though

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
yeah i'm fixing the minute details, sorry about that

Bones- Do ports even have relevance in Melee beyond Spawn points?
Jesseyo- those are all very clever names, I like them. However, that's a bit cliche. I needed something that coincides with the controller colors.

Bones0

Smash Legend
yeah i'm fixing the minute details, sorry about that

Bones- Do ports even have relevance in Melee beyond Spawn points?
Jesseyo- those are all very clever names, I like them. However, that's a bit cliche. I needed something that coincides with the controller colors.
They determine who grabs who if you grab on the same frame, and which way you are pushed when you land directly on top of each other. Spawn points is the big thing though, obviously.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
I should be able to make it to this, and other Hopkins kids will probably come too.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Epic rivalries coming up! ;)

Wrt how port priority affects spawn points, it actually affects those a LOT. Not only does it control where you start at the beginning of and during the match, but depending on which port you are, you can WL at the very beginning of the match BEHIND THE WORD "GO!" (which is kinda unfair). :smash:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Aw :\ They are pretty cliche, haha.

Also, no personal jab intended, naming the tournament something to get your sales up is in poor taste. It's like naming a store after a Starbucks drink. If that's not the intention, I apologize, but it comes off as pushy and pretentious. Much like advertisements in games

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Everybody MM me.

Bones, Wenbo, Vist, Nintendude.

edit: might be short on cash, maybe not.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Aw :\ They are pretty cliche, haha.

Also, no personal jab intended, naming the tournament something to get your sales up is in poor taste. It's like naming a store after a Starbucks drink. If that's not the intention, I apologize, but it comes off as pushy and pretentious. Much like advertisements in games
Uh what? I'm giving away a free controller, not selling...thats a bonus to attending. I don't really have much for sale anyways...

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
So regarding the port switch- you've got to give the other team the option to also port switch at some point. That's why you can't just pull it out of your hat in game 3. It's a fairness thing.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
So guys- BigWenz was slinging the idea around of Pro/Ammy doubles post singles, using the singles placings to determine who your partner is. Would that be more interesting than regular doubles?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
- If you make doubles free or $1-3 entry, it'll get a really good turnout.

- Why can't you change ports game 3 if you don't game 2? That seems completely arbitrary. We should just use the MBR's port rules.

- What is considered stalling?

- I'd like to see pools for all of the events, or at the very least an amateur bracket for those that get knocked out in the first half. You essentially replace friendly time with more tournament matches so people feel like they get their money's worth, we have more data for ranking systems, and you will just be seeding from the original bracket so it shouldn't take a up a lot of the TOs' time.
I don't think I addressed this other than the ports, so here we go

- No on doubles. Sorry. We lowered from 10 to 5 and still got bad turnouts. Why play for 1-3 dollars, this is a tournament, not a smashfest. I'm open to doubles after singles in ammy/pro format if there is interest.
- There will be pools for all the events. I'm a huge supporter of that mentality. However, no amateur bracket. If you don't make the main bracket, better luck next time. The pools is definitely enough to get everyone's money's worth, especially with this being singles only. And you're right, it does save me a ton of time.
- Not using your ruleset, sorry.

Bones0

Smash Legend
So regarding the port switch- you've got to give the other team the option to also port switch at some point. That's why you can't just pull it out of your hat in game 3. It's a fairness thing.
- If striking order cannot be agreed upon, the winner of a single Rock-Paper-Scissors game can either choose who strikes first or who chooses their port first. The loser gets to choose for the other option.

*Neutral Start: If all players cannot agree on port selection, players must use the ports for each stage's neutral starting locations. The loser of the previous game gets to choose his port from the neutral ports first.
lol You read my mind about me wanting to use my ruleset. Do you have any actual qualms with it, or do you just not feel like trying something new? >_>

No Amateur Bracket is fine if we're doing pools. I just think tournaments should try to do one or the other.

Pro-Am is awesome though, so I'd definitely enter that.

Also, the reason your port rule is unfair is because let's say I am using port 3 and I cp FoD. I prefer port 3 for FoD, but then my opponent picks DL for game 3 and I don't want to be spawning on top. I didn't change ports game 2 because I didn't need/want to. That should have no bearing on my ability to change ports game 3 if it's the only game of the set where I want to change ports.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I'd enter Pro-Am, except I wouldn't have a singles placing to determine where I'd be lol.

Man, Bones remember that one Pro-Am where we teamed?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
well you'd be unseeded if you didn't enter.

I'll run it by the folks at xanadu and GIMR and if all looks well we can look to do that afterwards if enough people are interested.

How about the brawl side, any interest for ProAm doubles?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Hey guys, been WAY out of the competitive scene for a LONG time. Been to Xanadu for a little MtG before but didn't realize they also hosted Smash events.

Anyway, thinking about attending if at all possible. Any Baltimore vets from times past gonna attend here? I see Vist, which is awesome. So is BTree, DOSV, EEvisu, UMBC, Frozen, Hat, Tru, or anyone else still alive and kicking?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey guys, been WAY out of the competitive scene for a LONG time. Been to Xanadu for a little MtG before but didn't realize they also hosted Smash events.

Anyway, thinking about attending if at all possible. Any Baltimore vets from times past gonna attend here? I see Vist, which is awesome. So is BTree, DOSV, EEvisu, UMBC, Frozen, Hat, Tru, or anyone else still alive and kicking?
Where exactly are you in Aberdeen? You are probably really close to DJ, who I play with all the time. He is in Abingdon. You should come next time we play.

Top Bottom