• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xanadu: Emerald Edition (ProAM doubles!?) (No tripping!?) - May 4th, 2013 - Baltimore, MD

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

I guess i'll address some points here:

1. ProAm is NOT the draw of this tournament. It's a bonus experiment. I really shouldn't say all my intent upfront, but the idea was to compare it to the regular doubles turnout. Just like going to the doctor for a runny nose or calling the IT desk for a slow computer, problems have to be troubleshot. If something isn't working, it's important to understand why. If I can find out what people are looking for from doubles, and make it intriguing again, I will do so. The more important piece of this tournament is the high focus of SINGLES and SINGLES POOLS. It's also about focusing on a bracket that has all good matches. I agree with you Cyrain that it isn't fun to see you and Chillin dominate the region and have no one even come close to beating the two of you, even while stoned. And since you two are good friends and teammates, it's hard to hype up matches that there isn't intensity to. You guys play each other well, but not with the old MD/VA intensity.

2. No one is required to enter ProAm. In fact, if you don't enter, it saves me grief from my wife, so I won't look bad upon it.

3. This community is in a swapping phase. We are entering the next generation of players. I'm sure smash 4 will bring that generation into full force. Brawl is seeing it, Melee is seeing it. People do eventually move on. We all can't afford to play smash bros. forever. I certainly can't continue the playing aspect much longer due to tendinitis (motrin is a big help to extend it though!) So there is an awkward gap between top and bottom. Two to three years ago, we only had top players entering events and very little bottom players, which has kind of pushed us in this direction, so some people drop off the map and now we have a larger bottom end. Which honestly is better off. I think the community will balance out soon.

4. This event will be a blast. I can promise you that. We've been talking it up with the locals, talking it up on AiB, and talking it up here obviously. It will be run incredibly efficiently and the only streamed matches for Melee and Brawl will be BRACKET matches. Pools won't be streamed. Pools will be incredibly fun and will go well and give you plenty of time for friendlies early. Keep in mind Project:M will also be an event here (of which pools WILL be streamed) so there are two events to excel at for the melee crowd. Make sure you come out. Someone will also have a random chance at winning an EMERALD controller. So make sure you come out.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
PLEASE NOTE, THE DRAWING FOR THE EMERALD CONTROLLER WlLL BE AFTER PROJECT:M BRACKET COMPLETES.

The project M winner will have the honor of doing the drawing for the winner of the controller. You'll have till about 4pm to get your venue paid and/or buy additional tickets for the entry.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Is anyone else noteworthy from outside of our region planning to come to this?

-Edit- LMFAO. I cracked up at the link you posted. I missed it the first time. Totally bout to go watch that movie.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
CTL, step you game up, or have someone buy you a raffle ticket an pay them back, additional tickets past the venue fee are $1

Cyrain, as far as I know, this is going to be instate only.

Oh yeah, and Anchorman is the ****. All time favorite movies for sure. I laughed for days, can't wait for the sequel.

Bloodynite

Smash Ace

Wait so your making that ganon can lose completely after using a ganoncide just because of port advantage? That sucks

also why isn't delfino a singles cp anymore...?

Vist

Smash Champion
Anyone know if M2K is coming out to this? He came out to the last ~3 MD events so I've been assuming he'd come out to this too.

Also, everyone should come to this ****, regardless of the doubles event. HYPERphoenix was only a singles event and it was hype as ****. It hyper'd the **** out of my phoenix

Lobos

Smash Master
If I finish helping my friend move, I might just stop by. Do I have to pay a venue fee if I come late / don't play any games?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Ok, in response to this region sucking, I have a few thoughts.

So this doesn't apply to Xanadu as much because I know they are a store and need maximum attendance so that they don't go out of business, but we really need to get away from this 3 games per tournament crap. I'll describe two scenarios:

1. Melee, Brawl, and PM and/or 64 at a single tournament. Non-stop tournament matches in a jam-packed schedule with some overlap in events. Lots of players playing every Smash game.

2. A slightly smaller crowd but with everyone playing the same game. Singles with pools, doubles, and draft crews. Maybe even something like low tiers or CSP.

Now, which one sounds more appealing to the average player? I'm gonna have to go with option 2. I've said it before and I've said it again. Loading up our tournaments with as many games as possible is watering down the experience for everyone. Too many resources are being shared, the tournaments are hectic and hard to keep up with, and there simply isn't enough time to do everything comfortably. Side events such as draft crews are GREAT for improving a community because it gives everyone a chance to shine. It's completely stress free, doesn't require an entry fee, and it gives the top players a chance to cheer for the up and comers.

I really think we need to rethink the way we organize our tournament scene. Sypher has all the right ideas and it's just a little unfortunate that he doesn't have an actual venue (though there's really not much wrong with his basement). Another problem is that a lot of us are getting old as **** and just do other things on the weekends now. The best thing to do about this is grow the scene. A scene that fails to draw in new players is unsustainable since eventually us old people will get more and more inactive as life obligations just take over. This all ties back into tournament organization. We need to create a tournament scene that promotes camaraderie as opposed to squeezing as many events into a single day. That's what will drive the young players to improve.

So, with all of that said, I understand that this Xanadu doesn't really fall into either of my broad categorizations. It's a good experiment that may help to strike a balance between number of events and quality of events, but I still think reducing the number of games at a tournament is the way to go.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Bloody- you reminded of a good point. Delfino is now added back into the legal stages. However, Halberd is still gone. And yes, As ganon, you know the risks of your move. Ganon certainly never should win. If the game proclaims a winner, then that person is the games winner, end of story.

Nintendude, I love your scenario, but those work best when people actually show up. Until then, you're relegated to house bi-weeklies like syphers, which are fine for one game. If we could actually get a consistent player base attending events, I can convince Ben at Xanadu to split the events up. But I have to be completely sold on it or he won't be.

BTW, it's not just MD/VA that smash is dying off. I'm kind of shocked people don't want to train for EVO. I saw Kirbstir post in MD/VA Melee the other day about practicing for EVO. Who here is practicing for EVO anyways? Anyone?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Regarding teams, I would love to do a Teams only tournament. Hell to me it would be my preferred format. Keep in mind that Nintendo uses 2v2 in Pokemon as it's preferred format (even though thats one person controlling both, it still drastically changes the game). It increases the pace of which the game proceeds and promotes more aggressive tactics. But then you lose people for singles etc.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
To be honest, I will not bring carpools (and trust me, 95% of the NJ/NY/PA carpools that go to MD/VA, are cuz I arrange them and I make them go), if we do not have between 4 to 6 events at these, cuz it won't be worth it from a profit-standpoint much.
I need between 4 to 6 events for these trips to be worth it (teams/singles and another game teams/singles for example can be 4 events). I probably won't be here cuz of NY tourney same date, but that's just for future reference.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I really wish you were less concerned about making profits at these things, Jason. Profits are to be made at nationals, not locals. A scene that cares about the money too much is not a scene that will survive. Now I haven't really been in this region for very long, but I can say with confidence that MD/VA has always cared way too much about the money. Splitting has always been a big problem, people flake on tournaments because they believe the entry fee is too low, and lastly there's too many cash events and not enough fun events like crews.

I wouldn't really say that MD/VA smash is dying off. It's far cry to the smash haven that this region used to be but it's just really stagnant right now. There's a lot of young blood but we aren't giving them enough incentive to come to events.

Bones0

Smash Legend
As far as MMs go...Who the **** should I MM?
I was saying you could just do teams MMs instead of entering a 3-team bracket. As far as asking to play, I have asked top players to play, including you, and I have had people just decline to (even when they were just sitting and watching others or in a huge rotation). I don't want to act like I feel entitled to friendlies anyway. I'm not trying to guilt top players into playing worse players or anything. I just think it's unhealthy for the region for the top players to be so apathetic towards others. I also think it's funny that you brought up Milkman because you basically proved the point that supporting lower level players like him has positive payoff down the line. He is good enough to give top players at least practice, if not a run for their money (he beat Nintendude recently). He definitely would not be as good if the top players hadn't taken a liking to him for whatever reason (seems like it was mostly he just happened to live in an accessible area). We both started out at my Graphix tournaments going pretty much even, and not trying to john, but the support he's received is at least partly why he's solidly a level above me (not trying to take anything away from him obviously).

things have always been like this in mdva, and it's still a perfectly fine way to get better in-region as long as you're dedicated enough. the bigger issue is that other regions are both more dedicated and more interested in the success of the players around them. now that mdva and nyc aren't the only places with decent smash scenes, we've fallen behind.

if you aren't asking for feedback you're probably not going to get it as a lot of people are unsure of how wanting people are of criticism. i will say, though, that in general people around here suck at giving post-match advice, but as long as you can ask specific enough questions and not stuff like "what am i doing wrong" i think basically everybody in this region will be able/willing to talk to you about it.

the only reason i'm not going to yell at you about hosting is because you've hosted in the past, you're lucky. regardless:

2012-12-29 | HYPERphoenix
2013-01-05 | Xanadu
2013-01-12 | Apex 2013
2013-01-19 | East Coast Elites 1
2013-01-26 | Sa2vation
2013-02-02 | Boosted Tournament #36
2013-02-16 | East Coast Elites 2
2013-02-23 | Xanadu
2013-03-02 | Boosted Tournament #37
2013-03-09 | EEVOlution
2013-03-16 | Xanadu
2013-03-23 | East Coast Elites 3
2013-04-06 | Boosted Tournament #38
2013-04-20 | East Coast Elites 4
upcoming:
2013-04-27 | Boosted Tournament #39
2013-05-04 | Xanadu <-- [this thread]

there have only been three weekends since hyperphoenix that have been tourneyless
I guess this is mainly a problem with my location then, since ECE is like further than NY/NJ for me to drive to.

VGVideoGalaxy

Smash Rookie
I really wish you were less concerned about making profits at these things, Jason. Profits are to be made at nationals, not locals. A scene that cares about the money too much is not a scene that will survive. Now I haven't really been in this region for very long, but I can say with confidence that MD/VA has always cared way too much about the money. Splitting has always been a big problem, people flake on tournaments because they believe the entry fee is too low, and lastly there's too many cash events and not enough fun events like crews.

I wouldn't really say that MD/VA smash is dying off. It's far cry to the smash haven that this region used to be but it's just really stagnant right now. There's a lot of young blood but we aren't giving them enough incentive to come to events.
Pretty much, as a new player, I have to say, I don't care about makiing a profit. I care about meeting new people and having fun playing Smash Bros.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Bones...Obviously me playing with Milkman will help him get better. I'm not ******** and I'm not denying that my influence on lower level smashers is important. What I was saying is that I helped him get started, but he watched videos and continued to get better on his own. He and I hardly ever play now and in truth we never played that much back then either. He came to me and asked for help and I helped him. When you asked me to play with you did I turn you down? This region used to be so ****ing boring that I came to almost every tournament totally hammered, so there's a chance I would have ignored you in the past. Nowadays I certainly would not. My main point is that it's on YOU guys to come ask us for matches or advice. I'm not just gonna find you and be like yo..Let's go practice. I have my own practice to worry about.

Bones0

Smash Legend
When you asked me to play with you did I turn you down?
Yeah, at Xanadu. >_> You and Chillin were just sitting and watching M2K vs. Nintendude I think, and you both said you didn't feel like playing.

Like I said though, I don't want you to feel like you have to play with anyone that asks, but it seems a bit weird to only want to play Chillin and other good players and then wonder why people want to do a Pro-Am doubles tourney. The whole point of the tourney is to get top players to invest themselves in a lower skilled player, to WANT them to improve and beat other players near their level. If you guys don't want to participate, then I honestly feel like there isn't much point in a Pro-Am tourney. It isn't supposed to seem like a chore, and if that's how it feels to the top players, their partner will obviously get that sense that they are just an annoying anchor wasting your time.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Am I the only one that thinks that the leveled, unpredictable playing field of proam doubles might be fun? Who cares about making minimum wage playing smash.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Am I the only one that thinks that the leveled, unpredictable playing field of proam doubles might be fun? Who cares about making minimum wage playing smash.
I just think it's fun to team with different people. I like teams, but most people don't want to sit down and discuss actual strategies in friendlies which is what I find to be the best part about it.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Yea I'm not surprised I'd say I didn't feel like playing if I was watching an interesting set. I gotchu next time. As far as only wanting to play Chillin goes, there's really no way to express my thoughts without sounding like a ****, so I'm just gonna be a ****. While I AM willing to practice with and give advice to the lower level players that come asking for it, you need to realize how incredibly boring it can be to play against someone under your skill level. I'm totally willing to do it, but do you really expect me to come seek it out? **** no. Again...If a lower level player wants to get better then they'll take the initiative. That **** isn't my job. I tried hard to get good. I obviously fell off for a while, but yea. And I'll restate that if you guys do ProAm, that's cool and all, but it'd require an awesome singles turnout for me to come to a tourney where teams is being run in that fashion. Soo I prolly won't be there. I'm sorry if my opposition to the matter really bothers you THAT much. Also, I forgot to address your curiosity as to why I took interest in Milkman. Part of it was just the fact that he lived nearby as you pointed out, but he turned out to be an awesome person and he's super tryhard in Melee and I respect that. He still has that fire that I wish I had. He has also improved incredibly quickly mostly on his own and I respect that as well. I think Cory will go really ****ing far if Melee sticks around for a while.

Bloodynite

Smash Ace
Bloody- you reminded of a good point. Delfino is now added back into the legal stages. However, Halberd is still gone. And yes, As ganon, you know the risks of your move. Ganon certainly never should win. If the game proclaims a winner, then that person is the games winner, end of story.
Keeping the ganon main down......

that alone should be enough for me to not go.... oh well guess I will never use it :ganondorf:

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I might come. This is happening right around exams and it may come down to how I'm feeling the day before (I tend to get sick around exams >_>)

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Mew2King- not every MD local needs to make you a profit. In someways, i'm kind of happy you're not coming this week, this will give our local players an actual chance to win for once. Not that I mind having you, or object to your car pool attending. But I try to look at the positive side of everything.

Cyrain- duely noted on your objection. I'm sure the next one will be different.

Bloody- It's not about keeping ganon down. That was an artificial, bad rule created by someone who was sympathetic to a bad character. You should know your character well enough to pull off the double suicide. If you can't, and you lose, that's your own problem. I also gave you your favorite non brinstar CP back, so no johns. You're pretty good without the suicide, you almost beat logic the last time we saw you.

Arcadia- sweet! Don't get sick!

Vist

Smash Champion
The reason no one enters is because $10 a person is too expensive for doubles. There were plenty of doubles teams at the Salvation events, because it was only $5 a person.

I'm not suggesting to put regular doubles back in for this event, though. I think most people (including myself) would rather have singles pools.

@Vist: I might be short on cash when this comes around, so our MM might have to wait. Looking forward to it at some point, though.
Just realized that I missed this. It's all good man, I'm always down for friendlies / seriouslies etc. :)

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Don't think anyone posted about this. What will the pool structure be? One round, two rounds? # players in a pool? Bracket size?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
What're you talking about? You're saying new people don't like going to things knowing they're going to lose?

Honestly, I'd love to show up to more events but with everything being in MD and no job (and school) It's kind of hard to make it to things consistently. I'd totally hit up Xanadu's weeklies every week if I lived up there or had my own ride and the funds.

Anyway, VA kids are still interested in showing up so that's maybe like 3 people? I dunno.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, VA kids are still interested in showing up so that's maybe like 3 people? I dunno.

I was going to bring a group of 7 or so like there was at the last Xanadu. Ironically, we were the majority of the players. Even better, we're all pretty exclusively PM.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be the only one coming from my crew. MAYBE SS4Ricky will show up.

SSSAM, Flex, 2Changs, Bob, and East Coast Eddie probably aren't going to make it to this one, but I know they're dying to go to one.

I was thinking about getting a venue for a PM/Melee tourney. Already have the streaming equipment. Could be interesting

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Things are looking worse and worse for me. Doctor's appointment that I can't really put off, has been put off by my doctor. The 4th looks like the only date that's available unfortunately. /emo

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Lobos- sorry i missed your post bro. It'd be good to see you. Come on out and we'll see what we can do.

Undrdog- that sucks bro

Everyone else- come on out, gonna be fun.

Mahone

Smash Champion
OH WAIT, i just saw there is PROAM at this tourney

LOL, NEVER COMING TO THIS NVM I MIGHT JUST COME AND LAUGH AT U GUYZZZ

roflofoflafjioekfjaoijfepaoijoeiafj

THIS IS A BIG OL W.O.T.

U KNOW WHAT THAT STANDS FOR

WASTE
OF
TIME

ggs scrubs, have fun with ur baby bottles and proam... back in my day we used to have $50 entry and no one complained... and we had Milk Matches and drank peoples pubes when we lost cuz we were men ROFL....

SURE THE PUBES WERE GROSS, BUT IT MADE ME HARD

YOU HEAR ME??????? IT MADE ME SOOOO HARD

AND THEN I WOULD EXPLODE ON EVERYONE

CTL17

Smash Lord
Hah Mahone.

Actually, I think after this tourney, you'll have enough matches to be PRed. Because that's totally the most important thing to you. Yepyep

Top Bottom