• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X vs Y to jump

Tophes

Smash Cadet
Hey,

I've been curious to see what people's preferences are when it comes to jumping. I usually use a mix between X and Y depending on the situation that I'm in.

I use Y whenever I do full-hop approaches, claw-method sometimes, and A-attacks.

As for X, I use it whenever I want to use C-stick attacks since to me reaching towards the C-stick is faster from X, as well as OoS aerials.

What do you guys do and why?

NightSky

Smash Journeyman
I use X personally for all my jumps...I don't C-stick aerials tho only smash's but im just weird I guess...XD
But most people seems to use Y

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
There's already been a thread on this.

I use L and A to jump... x,y to attack.
Why? Because I'm awesome, jk.
Why, Because L is my shorthop button, and A because, that's just what I wanted, it was a big button, I want a big button for a jump.

GemN

Smash Cadet
X, for some reason I feel Y is further away from A than X (probably just because I'm more use to X)... when really I think Y would be better to use. Atleast in Melee it would be. Actually isn't it considered the better button to jump with in melee?

Tophes

Smash Cadet
I used Y in Melee as well just because it was easier for me to short hop with Y. I'm just considering X because I use a different character in Brawl. Since Marth requires a lot of horizontal aerial usage, I felt that transitioning from X to C-stick would give me faster control than Y to C-stick.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I've seen 3 thread like this in the past month. Does it really matter what button people use to jump?

I use Y

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Y is superior to X in this game technically unless you have REALLY REALLY short thumbs or something. Since you can put your thumb on Y and A at the same time, this helps you buffer aerials better.

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
I use Y when I need to do a immediate aerial phantasm. X otherwise I use for jumping.

In Melee I always considered Y the wavedash/waveshine button and X the jump button.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Y is superior to X in this game technically unless you have REALLY REALLY short thumbs or something. Since you can put your thumb on Y and A at the same time, this helps you buffer aerials better.
You can press X and A at the same time as long as your thumb isn't so thin that it can go in between the spaces of the buttons.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Having Y set to shield makes it easier to shieldgrab since my thumb is already in that position anyway to push the A button.

Riickable

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the shield tip bro.

Anyway, I USE TAP JUMP!!1 nah I think it's X. The one to the right, if that helps.

When I'm Sheik, I use A.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I use tap jump to shorthop. X to full jump on purpose, jump when I'm not doing an aerial, float with Peach, or glide as MK. My Y is grab. Most of my jumping is done with the stick, and I cstick all aerials except nair when jumping. I find it much easier to shorthop with tap jump, and the cstick makes it easier to aerial in a direction other than neutral or up.

RenzoShadow

Smash Rookie
I use Y over X as it feels closer to my thumb from the A button.

I guess most of the debate between X and Y for jumping could be people preffering either a vertical or horizontal movement of the thumb to jump. Of course there are some of you who change the controls around to meet their preference.:)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can press X and A at the same time as long as your thumb isn't so thin that it can go in between the spaces of the buttons.
Even more reason to use Y: If you set X to specials, this lets you buffer specials from a jump more easily in the same manner.

OMGBRAWLOMG

Smash Rookie
i used nunchuk for about 4 months (from release to end of june) but i started using the gamecube controller cuz around end of grade 8, i realized i needed more buttons to chaingrab with the ice climbers.

lol i use z to jump......my controls r:

Y - shield - it overlaps the A button so i can shield grab really fast (any of my characters)
X - grab - grabing (any of my characters, OMG ICies DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED)
Z - jump - for momentum shifting (preety much for toon link on level 1 XD[the arrow for the first target HAHA])my record is 6.71
L - grab - to charge my c-stick smashes (CHARGED USMASH KILL AFTER CHAINGRAB with ICies!!)
R - shield - this used to b jump just in case i slip my finger from z(im so ********) ,i still jump. but i made it shield cuz i learned how to glide toss with rob!(cuz GT RULE and he's the only one who rox with his GT!)
~all the other buttons r default~

oh just so u know, ive had a bunch of mains since brawl came out (like 15 im not even joking) but ever since i learned glide tossing (not just because of that) im pretty sure ill b maining rob. but not completely sure, i mean my other 14 mains rule!

haha i talk alot----------I USE Z TO JUMP!!!!

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
i use X, i mean usually i have the tip of my thumb on A and Y is just too far at the top
if you know what i mean..so X is just right there....

Tezushi

Smash Rookie
X button for me:

I use the X button all the time when performing any kind of close-combatic arial attack. (Both Brawl & Melee). I don't use the Y button for anything, which this could probably give useful advantages, if I did put time into learning it.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I use Y all of the time except when I dragonic reverse with Yoshi I can only do it with X for some reason. I used to only use tap jump but now I dont use it but I keep it on.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
z and y to jump, r to attack (godly for DaC xD), x and all D-Pad buttons to grab = profit

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I use Y. I would have expected this to be a poll:

What do you use to jump?
  • X
  • Y
  • L
  • R
  • Z
I have no idea why I quoted, but I marked mine anyway.

I use X. Y is the button that I NEVER touch. Don't ask me why, ask my hands, they have a mind of their own... :******:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I can see it now... Razer enteres this thread, sees UTD's poll, and goes:

"I use c to jump"

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
You hip younge kids configurating their. I keep it nice and simple with default. Back on topic x is more confortable for me

Top Bottom