• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"X Takes Command" and "ZERO Zeroes In" Smash Speculation Corner

"X Takes Command" and "ZERO Zeroes In"
IMG_9791.JPG

The Mega Man series first started in 1987 with Mega Man (or Rockman in Japanese). This spawned a multimedia franchise about a blue robot who fights evil robots trying to rule the world. The Mega Man series has 11 main titles under its belt along with numerous spin-off titles. One of these spin-offs is the Mega Man X series, which debuted in 1993 with Mega Man X on the SNES. These games took on a more mature and darker theme than what we saw previously in the Mega Man series. It has had numerous spinoffs in the past ranging from MM Battle Network to MM Legends. One of the most notable is MMX Mega Man X proved to be a pivotal entry as it helped spawn two sequel series: Mega Man Zero and Mega Man XZ which continued the story of the two main heroes: X and Zero.

Created by Dr. Light (who had also created the original Mega Man), Mega Man X, or "X" was meant to succeed the original Mega Man. However, X's systems were too advanced for X to handle it at the time so Dr. Light placed X in cryostasis so his circuits could process and mature. It wasn't until Dr. Cain, a scientist many years into the future, unearthed X and broke him out of stasis that X began his journey. Dr. Light continued to guide him via Light Capsules where X could gain new armor. Evil was still afoot though with the introduction of Sigma. He was (or is) a megalomaniac villain who originally fought for the side of good - having been a Maverick Hunter. However, he too succumbed to the Maverick Virus and sought to destroy the world through the virus. In the Mega Man X universe, Mavericks are renegade robots who go mad through a virus and wreak havoc. After he awakened, X began working as a Maverick Hunter alongside his ally Zero.

X Gameplay Attributes

X is a heavy fighter with high running and dashing speeds, making him similar to a "mobile tank". Like the original Mega Man, X is a master of far-range attacks. His X Buster acts as his Side Smash and his Specials are pulled from his Special Weapons. X's Specials differ from Mega Man's however in that he can charge them to make them more powerful. Mega Man could receive an X-Buster upgrade that allows him to charge his Special Weapons in the MMX series X is capable of running and gunning like Mega Man due to his X-Buster being tied to the neutral jab, side tilt, and neutral aerial.

In regards to aesthetics, Mega Man is based on his first appearance in MMX including his animations. All of his animations are pulled straight from his games including how he runs, jumps, and even dashes. Below are examples of some of his animations that can be adapted to Smash:

Name
Description from the MMX series
Walking​
Running animation.​
Dashing​
This one is unique as, unlike in MMX, it's a continuous motion that is similar to Cloud's or Palutena's dash attack.​
xjump.gif
Jump​
Retains the same jump animation.
Height
Weight
Dash
Walk
Jump
Fall Speed
Airspeed
Stat Number
:ultsamus:
113​
2.17​
1.42​
28​
1.9​
1​
Place on the roster
x​
Tied w/ :ultkazuya:
Between
:ultcloud:&:ultbanjokazooie:
Between
:ultmythra:&:ultsonic:
Between
:ultlink:&:ultswordfighter:
Tied w/ :ultpichu:
Tied w/
:ultpalutena:&:ultpiranha:

Zero Gameplay Attributes

Whereas X is a heavy fighter with the power to back it up, Zero is more mobile with quick-hitting attacks. Unlike X, he doesn't have the ability to "run and gun" due to using his Z-Saber for his normals. However, he can use the Z-Buster as his Side Smash. Zero can close distances to deal damage in a way that X cannot. Zero also benefits from having a medium-weight class and a rather high amount of speed. On the flip side, Zero has a hard time with heavy-hitting characters. While X is more technical, Zero is more straightforward since, unlike X, he cannot charge his weapons.

Height
Weight
Dash
Walk
Jump
Fall Speed
Airspeed
Stat Number
:ultsamus:
106​
1.25​
1.24​
30​
1.77​
1.04​
Place on the roster
x​
Tied w/
:ultsnake::ultrob:&:ultbanjokazooie:
Between
:ultmewtwo:&:ultcharizard:
Between
:ultlink:&:ultmetaknight:
Between
:ultsora:&:ultpeach::ultdaisy:
Tied w/
:ultbowser:&:ultbayonetta:
Tied w/ :ultmetaknight:

X Smashes & Specials
Move
Name
Description
Damage
Side Smash
X-Buster

X charges up a projectile from his X-Buster and fires it. This is the same projectile that X gains with the arm cannon upgrade in Mega Man X2. Link’s Forward Smash allows him to follow up with a second sword strike when an additional attack input is pressed after releasing the initial attack.

X has a very similar mechanic where he can fire a secondary shot after firing a fully charged Smash Attack. If this input is not pressed, he just fires the first projectile. This can only be achieved with a fully charged Side Smash.
  • Uncharged: 13%
  • Charged
    • First Projectile: 18.4%
    • Second: 12.%
Up Smash
Wing Spiral
X does a standing uppercut which has high-knockback but low damage. A fully charged version causes a miniature tornado to move upwards and expand; trapping opponents caught in it. X gained this attack from Spiral Pegasus in Mega Man X5.
  • Uncharged: 8.5%
  • Charged
    • Uppercut: 14%
    • Per Hit in Cyclonic Ball: .8% (capable of 10 hits total)
Down Smash
Magma Blade
Functions as a melee attack for X, he creates a sword of magma and swings it forward. When fully charged, the sword releases fireballs that expand and deal additional damage. This attack was given to X by defeating Burn Dinorex in Mega Man X6.
  • Uncharged: 17%
  • Charged
    • Sword Strike: 22%
    • Burning Debris: 8%
Neutral Special
Triad Thunder
X forms three mechanical objects that will first release a wave of electricity which splits off in to three separate directions. Both phases can do damage. The charged-up form will cause X to punch the ground, releasing electrical surges that will travel along the ground and all walls. If performed in the air, X will travel down and slam into the ground for more damage but can also cause X to plummet off the ledge.

X gained Triad Thunder by defeating Volt Catfish from Mega Man X3.
  • Uncharged
    • Per hit (full): 8%
    • Per hit (whiff): 3.5%
  • Charged
    • Close: 15%
    • Far: 6.5%
    • Fall Impact: 22.%
Side Special
Storm Tornado
X fires a blast of wind in the shape of a tube that moves forward the full width of Final Destination. It has amazing reach but it does very little damage. However, the beauty in the attack is that it continuously pushes opponents back. When fully charged up, it creates a large column of wind that extends up to the same height as Palutena’s Up Smash. It will dish out continuous damage before launching the opponent.​

X gained Storm Tornado by defeating Storm Eagle from Mega Man X.​
  • Uncharged
    • Per hit: 1.8%
  • Charged
    • Per hit: 3.2%
    • Launch: 9.8%
Up Special
Rising Fire
X will fire a rising fireball directly upwards. The attack will explode once it makes contact and the splash damage can harm nearby opponents. It serves as a recovery move when even slightly charged where it becomes a fire uppercut. When fully charged, it gets stronger and the distance covered also increases. When combined with his hover boot ability, it makes for a great pair. Upon performing the final uppercut, it releases an upwards-moving fireball before exploding.​

X gained RIsing Fire from Magma Dragoon from Mega Man X4.​
  • Uncharged
    • Initial: 5%
    • Explosion: 12%
    • Splash: 1.2%
  • Charged
    • Initial Punch: 7.3%
    • Pinnacle: 13%
    • Projectile: 5%
    • Explosion: 8.5%
Down Special
Spin Wheel
X releases a spinning wheel with spikes on it, traversing the width of the stage. Once it comes in contact with an opponent or damaging stage element, it will vanish. It will traverse most obstacles with ease in a way that is similar to the item, Hot Head. When fully charged, it releases a projectile that, once it reaches a certain length, will split up and fire eight needles in different directions. It can travel past platforms and even the stage platform in a way similar to Simon's Neutral Special "Axe".​

X gained Spin Wheel from Wheel Gator from Mega Man X2.​
  • Uncharged
    • Per hit: 4.5%
  • Charged
    • Initial: 8%
    • Needles (Close): 6%
    • Needles (Far): 11%
Final Smash
Giga Crush
X dons the Ultimate Armor and performs Nova Strike. He dashes forward and slams into the opponent for high damage. This causes X to fly across the screen to the side blast lines. However, X returns from the top and uses Giga Crush to damage all his opponents. However, the damage depends on two factors: how close the opponent is to X at the time of release and how much damage X has taken before activating the Final Smash. The higher the damage, the more damage it puts out.​

The Ultimate Armor is from Mega Man X4 through X6 while the Giga Crush is from Mega Man X2 and X6 to X7.​
  • Total: 70.3%

Zero Specials

Move
Name
Description
Damage
Side Special
Z-Buster

Zero is capable of charging and unleashing a moderately sized green projectile forward that flies faster than X's but has a smaller hitbox.

Like X, Zero is capable of firing off a secondary energy attack if the attack input is pressed right after the first one.

However, Zero is capable of doing a final attack by inputting the attack button after the second one is released. This is a forward slash with the Z-Saber.
  • Uncharged
    • Projectile: 7%
  • Midcharged
    • Projectile #1: 7.5%
    • Projectile #2: 15%
  • Charged
    • Projectile #1: 8%
    • Projectile #2: 15.8%
    • Z-Saber: 13.3%
Up Special
Shoenzan
Zero swings his sword upwards in a motion capable of catching and dragging opponents. The attack will then end by launching them with a powerful explosion. This is a very powerful Smash attack that has great range and priority. Once it latches on, unless shielded or countered, it will carry and launch the opponent. The more it is charged, the bigger the explosion will be. This move is obtained by defeating Blaze Heatnix in Mega Man X6.
  • Uncharged
    • First Hit: 5%
    • Explosion: 12%
  • Charged
    • First Hit: 7%
    • Explosion: 17.6%
Down Special
Twin Dream
Zero unleashes a powerful slash attack angled downwards. On its own, it doesn't have any special properties, it's a simple slash attack with some enhanced damage. However, when moderately or fully charged, it releases an afterimage of Zero. This afterimage performs a delayed additional attack for double the damage making it excellent for mind games. Zero gained Twin Dream from defeating Split Mushroom in Mega Man X4.
  • Uncharged:
    • Starting Frame: 9.2%
    • Ending Frame: 10.8
  • Charged:
    • Starting Frame: 10%
    • Ending Frame: 12%
    • Starting Frame (Twin): 10%
    • Ending Frame (Twin): 12%
Neutral Special
Raijingeki
Zero performs a forward thrust with the Z-Saber while powered up with electricity. This attack has tremendous reach and allows Zero to keep opponents away. Zero can cancel out his grounded jabs and tilts by using Raijingeki. Zero gained Rajingeki by defeating Web Spider in Mega Man X4.
  • Tip: 10%
  • Full: 18%
Side Special
Shippuga/F-Splasher
Zero dashes forward and cuts with his Z-Saber three times. This is both a zoning/movement tool as well as an attack option. Due to the priority of the attack, it can cancel mid-tier projectiles. When performed in the air, he uses F-Splasher, an ice/water-element attack that propels Zero forward. It has more attack damage than Shippuga but is slower and covers less distance.

Zero gained Shippuga after defeating Slash Beast in Mega Man X4 while F-Splasher was gained after defeating Crescent Whale in Mega Man X5.
  • Clean: 14.5%
  • Whiff: 3%
Up Special
E-Blade
Zero will rise up into the air while slashing with his blade. This is another variation of his staple Ryuenji which appeared in Mega Man X4. Due to X's Up Special, I felt that E-Blade was the better alternative. It has a wide reach and deals a lot of hit stun upon contact before launching the opponent.

Zero gained E-Blade by defeating Volt Kraken in Mega Man X5.
  • Start-up: 12%
  • Mid: 10%
  • End: 15%
Down Special
Rakuhouha/Rakkoha
Typically, Zero performs Rakuhouha, and if he hasn't recently used the attack, Rakkoha. Rakuhouha sends blue-colored energy projectiles in every direction. This provides Zero with a great defensive and offensive technique but with weak damage. However, when not used often, Zero will begin to shine which means he can perform Rakkoha. This is an area-wide attack that does extremely high damage at a cost. It makes Zero very vulnerable before and after the attack due to start-up and ending lag animations. This status does have a time limit and will go away if not used for a period of time. Once Zero dies, it is capable of being used. Due to its iffy nature, it's not considered Zero's primary Neutral. Finally, Zero can perform both attacks in the air despite not being able to do both in the Mega Man X games.

Zero gained Rakuhouka and Rakkoha by defeating Cyber Peacock in Mega Man X4 and Infinity Mijinion in Mega Man X6. This makes Rakkoha X6's representative attack.
  • Rakuhouha
    • Explosion: 13%
    • Individual Blasts: 6%
  • Rakkoha:
    • Per Beam: 12.5%
    • Hand Slam: 5%
Final Smash
Zero Final
Zero takes a page out of Mega Man's Final Smash "Mega Legends" by summoning past Zero characters to aid in a combo attack. To initiate the Final Smash, Zero performs Dark Hold which stops all opponents within a general area and is represented by a sphere devoid of color. They then get teleported into a cinematic Final Smash.

Zero rushes in and performs a slashing attack which is followed by Nightmare Zero (a version of Zero recreated through a virus) landing an overhead cut. That’s then followed by a gang-up attack between Vent and Aile from the Mega Man XZ series who have equipped the Model Z item. The duo performs horizontal slashes on opposite sides. Then, Zero.exe from Mega Man EXE charges in with a surprise slash.. The final scene is both the playable Zero and Zero from Mega Man Zero using a double powered-up rising slash which cuts into the opponent.​
Zero
Zero Nightmare
Vent
Aile
Zero.EXE
Zero (Mega Man Zero)
  • Total: 65%

Additional Content for X and Zero

Entrance Animation
  • Both X and Zero teleport in via blue or red beams.
Taunts
  • Up:
    • X: X taps his comlink and looks to the right or left, depending on his position. He says "X- reporting for duty."
    • Zero: Slashes several times before turning his back and saying "Pathetic."
  • Side:
    • X: X does a Hadoken pose.
    • Zero: Zero stabs the ground with the Z-Saber and then scratches it creating sparks while saying "Burn!".
  • Down:
    • X: Zero powers up his X-Buster before saying "Surrender or else!"
    • Zero: Zero slashes several times before brandishing it.
Idle Poses
  • X: Aims his X-Buster forward.
  • X: Cracks his neck.
  • Zero: Raises his saber up slightly.
  • Zero: Flicks his ponytail.
Victory Animations
  • X
    • X says "Mission Clear!" and punches his arm cannon into the air before teleporting away. This animation is based on the winning animation from the MMX games.
      • If Zero was the opponent, X instead says "Zero... why?"
    • X steps outside a White Capsule and transforms into the armor seen in Mega Man X.
    • X appears along with Zero who says "Good job, X" The Maverick Hunter responds with "That was a tough battle!"
      • If Zero was the opponent, he is replaced with Axl.
  • Zero
    • Zero says "Mission accomplished" before turning his back, giving a thumbs up, and then teleporting. This animation is based on the winning animation in MMX5.
      • If Zero was the opponent, X instead says "X... of all people... why did you turn Maverick?"
    • Zero appears on a red Ride Chaser. He jumps off and slashes in the air before landing.
    • Zero appears along with X who says "Mission complete, Zero!" The Maverick Hunter responds with "Yes, but the enemy is still out there..."
      • If Zero was the opponent, he is replaced with Axl.
Kirby Hat
  • X: Helmet
  • Zero: Helmet and ponytail
Boxing Ring Title
  • X: Maverick Hunter X
  • Zero: DWN-∞
Defeat
Both X and Zero have unique defeat animations which mirror Mega Man with X causing blue and white rings to shoot out while Zero has red and yellow rings.

Victory Theme
X and Zero can both be represented by this theme from Mega Man X, the original game. This is rather fitting as this was the game they both appeared in. That being said, I did include a potential alternative victory theme from Zero from Mega Man X Zero.

0:00 to 0:07

"Theme of ZERO" from Mega Man Zero
That being said, having the Mega Man X version could also work.​
Palutena Guidance
  • X
    • Pit: This guy kind of looks familiar. Isn't it Mega Man?
    • Viridi: Nice try, Pit! This is another version of Mega Man called X!
    • Palutena: That's right. This version of Mega Man is a brand new model created by Dr. Light. He was put into stasis.
    • Zero: That's right. X is a seasoned Maverick Hunter but he wasn't always this way.
    • Pit: Waah! Who are you?
    • Zero: My name is Zero and I am a Maverick Hunter like X.
    • Pit: Maverick hunter?
    • Viridi: I was wondering when you would show up Zero!
    • Zero: I am here on a mission.
    • Palutena: What exactly is this mission?
    • Zero: Surveillance.
    • Pit: Surveillance? Mavericks? I'm SO totally lost here!
    • Palutena: In X and Zero's universe, certain robots became infected by viruses and went berserk so they were called Mavericks.
    • Zero: That's right, though, sadly, some of these Mavericks were originally good but went bad. You can't entirely blame them.
    • Pit: I'm not... a Maverick. Right? Why is he fighting me? Don't tell me I am secretly one.
    • Zero: I am not sure but I suppose it is because of a top-secret mission unknown to even me.
    • Palutena: Will you be joining, Zero?
    • Zero: I was invited but I declined. X needs to get some training so I felt this was the best way for him to get it.
    • Viridi: That's surprising! So many characters are waiting for that coveted invitation!
    • Pit: So, Zero, right? Do you have any tips about fighting our bud over here? I mean like, some friendly tips so I don't get my wings burned by these attacks.
    • Zero: X is capable of using attacks he gains from defeating Mavericks so watch out for those. He has all sorts of weapons he can use.
    • Pit: Got it. High-tech weaponry...
    • Zero: Not only that but he is an experienced combatant with the advanced circuitry on the planet.
    • Pit: Uggghh... maybe you can join me, Mr. Zero.
    • Zero: As much as I would love to fight X in a friendly battle, my mission calls me elsewhere. Good luck.
  • Zero
    • Pit: Hey look, it's Zero!
    • Palutena: It seems Zero finally made it but no X is to be found.
    • Pit: X? Are we looking for pirate treasure now, Lady Palutena? X marks the spot!
    • Palutena: No, Pit. Not that "X". Zero's partner, X.
    • Viridi: X is the newbie turned pro while Zero is the collected, cool guy with a cool sword.
    • Pit: Huh, I just knew him as the Assist Trophy.
    • Palutena: Yes, but Zero does have a backstory. Ah, there is X.
    • Pit: Lady Palutena, if you want me to become a Pirate Angel, just ask...
    • X: X here. What seems to be the trouble?
    • Pit: Ahh?! It's Mega Man but all grown up.
    • X: I am indeed Mega Man but call me X.
    • Pit: X...
    • Viridi: Yes Pit, this is the "X" that Palutena was talking about.
    • Pit: I am so confused.
    • X: I must say it's brave of you to fight a veteran maverick hunter like Zero. I don't think I even stand a chance against such odds.
    • Palutena: X, do you have any comments about this fight?
    • X: Zero has fought in many battles; more than I have actually. His Z-Saber is a very powerful weapon plus he has his Z-Buster which he can fire projectiles. You are up against a powerful foe, Pit.
    • Pit: Wait! How do you know my name and I don't know yours?!
    • X: Consider it part of the job to gather intel. Like me, he can use weapons gained from fighting and defeating Mavericks so I bet he will use some of these. Good luck! I heard there is a universe that has these things called Space Pirates running amok.
    • Pit: And we come full circle with pirates...
Snake Codec
  • X
    • Snake: Hey, it's Mega Man but taller.
    • Colonel: This is X, Snake. He is an updated form of the Mega Man model created by Dr. Light but remained in stasis so his circuitry could mature. He is one of the Maverick Hunters now; warriors tasked with bringing down rogue robots.
    • Snake: Hmmm... interesting.... what kind of Robots?
    • Colonel: These Mavericks usually took a theme like fire or wind but crafted in the form of an animal.
    • Snake: Hmmm...so kind of like Psycho Mantis or Revolver Ocelot.
    • Colonel: ... I suppose so. Imagine if Psycho Mantis was actually a mantis and has psychic themes in his design.
    • Snake: And if I was a Maverick, I would be in the form of a snake and totally solid so foes couldn't go past me.
    • Colonel: You are a Maverick, Snake.... but in a good way.
    • Snake: Or maybe like a snake with rock properties due to "solid rock".
    • Colonel: Snake! Contemplate Mega Man fanfiction when you are not on a mission.
    • Snake: Good point. It's hard to focus anyway when you get all sorts of weaponry thrown at you.
    • Colonel: Yes, he got these all from defeating Mavericks. Like Mega Man, he can use them in battle so keep on your toes, Snake.
    • Snake: Not that he will but if he defeats me, I bet he gets to hide in a cardboard box.
  • Zero
    • Mei Ling: Snake, can you hear me?
    • Snake: I am a little busy at the moment.
    • Mei Ling: Well, try to focus 'cause I have some intel on your opponent. This is for Zero.
    • Snake: I wouldn't call him a zero. I am having a hard time dodging his attacks. His speed and attacks are ruthless.
    • Mei Ling: Not a zero...Zero. His name is Zero. He is a Maverick Hunter which is someone who hunts down robots who went insane. Usually, they take the form of an animal and have a theme around them.
    • Snake: This guy's theme must be "I don't like snakes" cause he is unrelenting. I can't get an attack on him.
    • Mei Ling: Just don't fall into any patterns, Snake. Data shows he can read opponents' attack patterns and devise a way to counter them.
    • Snake: So basically just be as random as possible. Odd strategy but could work.
    • Mei Ling: That Z-Saber and Z-Buster aren't for show either. They are quite powerful in their own right.
    • Snake: Z-Saber? Z-Buster? Who names this stuff? What's next, Z-Golf Club? Z-Sandwich? Z-Punch in the Gut?
    • Mei Ling: Oh, Snake...
X Classic Mode Route: Maverick Hunter
The characters and stages are based on machine-like bosses who took the form of animals. Such examples include Bubble Crab from MMX2 and Cyber Peacock from MMX4. These bosses also had a central theme whether it be electricity, fire, ice, water, explosions, and so on. Every opponent is based on an animal and the stages and/or additional match rules reflect the theme of that fighter.

Every fighter is in Metallic form and every stage is in Omega form to further reference the Mega Man X series. Due to there not being Mega Man X music featured in Ultimate, I decided to add new tracks.
Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
Notes
References
1​
Galleon​
Galleon Battle Arena​
Galleom is a reference to how there is a huge introductory boss before players can fight against the Mavericks.
2​
:ultdk:
Midgar​
Equipped with a Super Scope​
In the Sakurai Presents, Donkey Kong is called Ballistic Kong. "Spark Mandrill" was used for the song due to, well, Donkey Kong. His theme centers around "warfare". This was also an excuse to use this awesome remix.
3​
:ultincineroar:
Castle Siege (Phase 3)​
In the Sakurai Presents, Incineroar is called Blazing Tiger. "Flame Stag" was used as a song as it's an affinity for fire I did consider MMX3's Neon Tiger theme but I couldn't find a suitable character/theme/stage grouping to fit for MMX2's slot other than this one.
4​
:ultsonic:
Prism Tower​
Electric Floor is active​
In the Sakurai Presents, Sonic is called Static Hedgehog. "Volt Catfish" was used due to this match's "lightning" theme but also fits the aforementioned groupings. The track is also a banger.
5​
:ultwolf:
Mario Galaxy​
Equipped with a Warp Star​
In the Sakurai Presents, Wolf is called Star Wolf. This all managed to work itself out nicely; especially the name it was given. "Cyber Peacock" was chosen as the theme song due to, despite not being a space-themed Maverick, the character and its stage and theme are fairly other-worldly.
6​
:ultyoshi:
Pilotwings​
High winds are active​
In the Sakurai Presents, Yoshi is called Cyclone Dragon. This was a difficult match to create and keep in line with the theme of the past matches and the framework of the route. A wind theme was ultimately chosen with jungle and fire theming also considered.
Final​
:ultlucario:
Suzaku Castle​
In the Sakurai Presents, Lucario is called Steel Anubis. This was the first match made but ended up being the last. A more combative theme was chosen but, sadly, I couldn't make the song work well into the overall theme.
1 - Remix made by Stone McKnuckle
Zero Classic Mode Route: Maverick Hunter
I had considered doing something different for Zero but I couldn't rationalize not doing a Maverick theme. This classic mode retains all of the aspects of X's Classic Mode including ties with the fighter, stage, music, and rules.​

Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
Notes
References
1​
Galleom​
Galleom Arena​
Same reasoning for X's classic mode route.
2​
:ultfalco:
Battleship Halberd​
High winds are active​
In the Sakurai Presents, Falco is called Storm Falcon. This was an easy choice and one I wanted to do. This was one of the reasons why I decided to go this way with Zero.
3​
:ultsquirtle:
Delfino Plaza​
In the Sakurai Presents, Squirtle is called Torrent Turtle. While MMX6's Rainy Turtloid was considered as a basis along with a theme, the "Bubble Crab" theme song is a gem too good to pass up. For obvious reasons, "water" is the theme.
4​
:ultinklingboy:
Shadow Moses Island​
Poison floor is active​
In the Sakurai Presents, Inkling is called Sludge Cephalopod. I struggled with this one as the Inkling are both human and animal-like but considering we have had non-animal Mavericks; I was willing to bend the rules. I chose Toxic Seahorse and "sludge" as the theme due to the "ink" factor that the Inklings have.
5​
:ultkingdedede:
The Summit​
Opponent comes equipped with a Freezie​
In the Sakurai Presents, King Dedede is called Chilly Penguin. This all worked out really well as MMX has Chill Penguin which would make sense to include King Dedede for theming.,
6​
:ultbanjokazooie:
Spirit Tracks​
In the Sakurai Presents, Banjo & Kazooie is called Adventure Birdbear. This was a bit of a stretch here but ultimately worked itself out well; especially with "Crescent Slash" as the theme. The stage reflects Grizzly Slash's stage which was a on a train.
Final​
:ultridley:
Find Mii​
Opponent comes equipped with Black Hole.​
In the Sakurai Presents, Ridley is called Savage Ravager. This entire match evokes a feeling of darkness.

X Palette Swap
mm1.png

Blue
Default​
mm2.png

Red

Coloration for "Rising Fire" gained from Magma Dragoon in Mega Man X4.​
mm3.png

Green
Coloration for "Spin Wheel" gained from Wheel Gatorin Mega Man X2.​
mm4.png

Orange
Coloration for "Electric Spark" gained from Spark Mandrill in Mega Man X.​
mm5.png

Purple
Coloration for "Storm Hold" gained from Storm Eagle in Mega Man X.​
mm6.png

Black
Coloration for "Meteor Rain" gained from Rainy Turtloid in Mega Man X6.​
mm7.png

Cyan
Coloration for "Wing Spiral" gained from Spiral Pegasus in Mega Man X5.​
X8.png

Pink
Coloration for "Gravity Well" gained from Gravity Beetle in Mega Man X3.​

Palette Swap

zero1.png

Red
Default​
zero2.png

Blue
Based on his fellow hunter, X.​
zero3.png

Black
Based on the armor upgrade for Zero​
zero4.png

Purple
Based on Zero Nightmare, an insane copy of zero created in Mega Man X6
zero5.png

White
Based on the Colonel, an officer in the Repliforce who where an antagonist in Mega Man X4.​
zero6.png

Navy Blue
Iris is the sister of the Colonel and the love interest of Zero.​
zero7.png

Green
Primarily included to fill in a Green spot, this is based on the Steel Massimo, a character from Mega Man X: Command Mission.​
zero8.png

Scarlet
Based on the version of Zero from the Mega Man Zero series.​
Reveal Trailer

Creating two reveal trailers for both X and Zero was out of the question to save space and time. With that being said, this reveal trailer write-up was written to be able to swap out either X or Zero and yet still flow well together.

Samus is walking in a darkened hallway in the background; suspicious lights flash in the background as if they are stalking her. She looks to the left and then to the right before turning a corner and heading to an open doorway. Entering through the door, she makes her way into a large room when suddenly a bright flash erupts in the room. Shielding her eyes, she looks out and makes out several silhouettes against the light. Buzzing, disorientating sound crescendoes during this part. However, it stops for dramatic effect as the silhouettes all assume a battle pose. Wings shoot out, one of them pumps its arms up, string-like arms flail about, curved blades are drawn, and so on. Samus, trying to muster her strength, prepares for battle. The scene that follows is a battle sequence with these mysterious figures. They all jump into the air to attack Samus albeit still shrouded by the blinding light.

A squat figure throws out a beam of ice, freezing the ground, and barely misses. However, she is then struck by homing rockets and hurled through the air. She lands on the side of the wall and has only moments to look up before getting slammed by a monstrous figure. Said figure then proceeds to summon lightning to strike her. Samus jumps out of the smoking debris only to be caught by a mechanical lasso and hurled across the room. Landing near the doorway, Samus looks up as the blinding light subsides and reveals her assailants. Sting Chameleon, Spark Mandrill, Chill Penguin, Launch Octopus, Boomer Kuwanger, Storm Eagle, Armor Armadillo, and Flame Mammoth. Flame Mammoth and Storm Eagle move forward and launch a combined firestorm attack at Samus who is exhausted from the fight when suddenly...

X/Zero steps in and dispels the attack with one of their own. Stepping in front of Samus who looks up, the taglines "X Takes Command" or "Zero Zeroes In" are shown as they showcase one of the Maverick Hunters standing defiantly against the Mavericks. Samus struggles to her feet and comes to stand next to X/Zero as the Mavericks make their move once more.

During the Gameplay footage, when it showcases either X or Zero's moves, it takes a page from Mega Man's trailer from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS and showcases the Mavericks from which they got their weapons. However, unlike Mega Man's reveal trailer, it takes actual gameplay footage of the Mavericks being defeated in that Mega Man X game.

The ending sequence shows the Mavericks defeated and laying on the ground as the room darkens. From the darkness comes forth a green glow in the shape of a scythe and blue shining eyes, as well as deep laughter.

Conclusion

Either X or Zero would work perfectly in Smash due to plenty of attacks to choose from and a flexible moveset. The X series has an amazing gaming pedigree having spawned two sequels to the series which was something other spin-off games Mega Man never did. In addition, we do have plenty of X content in Smash. This includes Zero as an assist trophy, music, spirits, and more. It would make sense to include X or upgrade Zero to bring further Mega Man X content to further round out the series. That being said, there is also plenty of other series that may be considered by Capcom including Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Okami. That is certainly a strong case and the article is not trying to argue that perhaps the X series is a better pick. It is trying to speculate on the possibility of X or Zero possibly joining Smash and how that might look.

Authors Note: I openly admit I am a Mega Man X fan and eagerly await the day Capcom decides to resurrect this series. How do you feel about the possibility of X and/or Zero possibly making it in for the next game? Did I do the characters and the series justice? What other Capcom characters do you feel make a better fit? Let us know it the comments below!

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Interesting i persume they are Echoes?
Otherwise it would be a bit redundant having both of them in Smash!
Although Zero could Fullfill the Secondary Protagonist Role!
While the X Upgraded Armour could be a costume for Regular Megaman Perhaps!
Please forgive my Plebiness!

Interesting i persume they are Echoes?
Otherwise it would be a bit redundant having both of them in Smash!
Although Zero could Fullfill the Secondary Protagonist Role!
While the X Upgraded Armour could be a costume for Regular Megaman Perhaps!
Please forgive my Plebiness!
1. Never said they were Echoes
2. “Either X or Zero would work perfectly in Smash due to plenty of attacks to choose from and a flexible moveset.” Including both is redundant. Writing for either one wasn’t an option.
3. There was enough color options available for colors to not include over armor variations.

Nice to see someone at least acknowledge that X has vast potential for a Mega Man style moveset which also isn't cloned. Though it gets trickier when you do normals. The moves here are a bit lacking in that department. Grab should absolutely be a tether based on Wire Sponge's weapon though, and including at least one armor look for X would be nice considering how much he's known for armor. Or half and halfing it.

Nice to see someone at least acknowledge that X has vast potential for a Mega Man style moveset which also isn't cloned. Though it gets trickier when you do normals. The moves here are a bit lacking in that department. Grab should absolutely be a tether based on Wire Sponge's weapon though, and including at least one armor look for X would be nice considering how much he's known for armor. Or half and halfing it.
While normally I included all the moves in previous articles that I did years ago, I decided for the reboot of the series to only include specials and, if it calls for it, smash attacks. It’s to save for space and time on my part and our editors part. That being said, I do agree with Wire Sponge’s attack for a grab and tether.

great article!

Zero is one of my top 5 most wanted characters and i feel like X can swap out OG Megaman in Smash one day

While normally I included all the moves in previous articles that I did years ago, I decided for the reboot of the series to only include specials and, if it calls for it, smash attacks. It’s to save for space and time on my part and our editors part. That being said, I do agree with Wire Sponge’s attack for a grab and tether.
Well, for X's case I think it's doubly important since almost every attack is a weapon. Like rising fire could also be an up air or up tilt. Dash attack could be the charged version of Flame Stag's weapon (charged variants also giving him more to pick from despite having fewer games) or maybe it could be a side special. X arguably has so much potential it can be hard to narrow it down. You also have the crystal pillars from 8, could be a handy move to create obstacles as well attack.

Well, for X's case I think it's doubly important since almost every attack is a weapon. Like rising fire could also be an up air or up tilt. Dash attack could be the charged version of Flame Stag's weapon (charged variants also giving him more to pick from despite having fewer games) or maybe it could be a side special. X arguably has so much potential it can be hard to narrow it down. You also have the crystal pillars from 8, could be a handy move to create obstacles as well attack.
I understand and noted it. I made sure to include as much as I could with the time and space that I had. I originally only had specials for both X and Zero. It wasn’t until very late that I tacked on smash attacks. To be fair to the past (and future) entries, I’m still sticking to this format but I appreciate the feedback :)

I understand and noted it. I made sure to include as much as I could with the time and space that I had. I originally only had specials for both X and Zero. It wasn’t until very late that I tacked on smash attacks. To be fair to the past (and future) entries, I’m still sticking to this format but I appreciate the feedback :)
Fair. Most potential additions probably wouldn't need something quite so in depth though I do think normals are often overlooked, but X is a bit of a special case as his moveset could just be so interesting much like his older brother. Should be relatively fine moving forward.

Fair. Most potential additions probably wouldn't need something quite so in depth though I do think normals are often overlooked, but X is a bit of a special case as his moveset could just be so interesting much like his older brother. Should be relatively fine moving forward.
Yup! Also allows people to speculate what kind normals they could have. What do you think?

Yup! Also allows people to speculate what kind normals they could have. What do you think?
Well, right off the bat, Zero's forward smash should obviously be his charged saber slash. While I prefer him to keep his original look, moves from both should be used like you did. Down aerial could be the frozen down stab from 4. A few of his throws could also incorporate the buster as it's far too neglected.

Well, for X, my general pick for his down smash might actually be the crystal towers rising on both sides and sticking around to block a weak attack for a few seconds. I mentioned the dash attack. Though, my idea for X was a bit different in that to diverge him from Mega Man I had his buster be his neutral special, but it could do two charge shots which could combo ala X3 (see what I mean about his potential?). It diversifies him from Mega Man while playing with the idea of buster gimmicks that the X series had. Sadly though, my road block is usually not remembering all his sub weapons. I do remember an idea for a forward smash which had him charge up the ice weapon from 3 into a ice mace and actually do a melee attack with it. Getting bigger with charge.

Last edited:
Btw, will you be doing any more Speculation Corners on characters that you haven't talked about already? I'd love to see your take on Raven Beak and Noah & Mio.

Top Bottom