• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X button vs. Y button

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
Which do you use to jump? Short hops specifically? Wavedash/shine? JC grabs?
I use Y for all techniques that require jumps.

keeper

Smash Champion
I use Y and and/or tap jump depending on what I'm trying to do. I never use X due to how my thumb is positioned.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Depends on what I'm doing.

Generally, it goes like this...
X for anything where I go from short hop to c-stick or wavedashing, Y for going from short hop to anything with B or ledgehop stuff, up for shine to aerial.

I don't know why, that's just what's most comfortable for me.

Deeptuna

Smash Rookie
I use X for normal jumping and SHFFLing and such, and tap jump for combos out of grabs or tilts.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I also use up for certain things, its to try and wave dash with it lol, but the only time i use up is if I want to jump out of a shine stupid fast or doule laser short hop, otherwise im an X man, even though I know y is better.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I like Y better than X for spacies just for ease of location.

But really it all comes down to personal preference, there are pro players who use every type of button.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i use x

i tap jump SOMETIMES for certain things (shine bair, shine usmash, sometimes for SHDF, always for SHDL)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
X for everything except JC stuff. for JC stuff, I use up.

Pi

Smash Hero
Y for ledge hop regrab stuff
or ledge hop DL with falco

x for other stuff

Y for double shines with fox
usually with falco too, but some times I use X for that as well

also X for shdl with fox, slide across A

want to use Y for sh missile -> waveland with samus but haven't quite learned it yet

also use up for some stuff
thinking of using it for SH OoS

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
Y for 99% of the time

control stick up for a handful of very situational stuff

i find it hard to use X as a jump button since i dont move my finger upwards to press it =\

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I tend to use the X button most of the time, though in certain circumtances when I feel that I have to stall (which I hate doing) I will use both the X and make use of the Y shines, and multiple wavedashes, other than that I will use the X.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what I'm doing.

Generally, it goes like this...
X for anything where I go from short hop to c-stick or wavedashing, Y for going from short hop to anything with B or ledgehop stuff, up for shine to aerial.

I don't know why, that's just what's most comfortable for me.
What's funny is those are all the exact buttons I use in those situations. Seriously exactly the same. Never seen anyone else like that lol ;P

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
I use X, but I'm starting to use Y more now since I'm trying to learn how to shine OOS and do SHDL with Fox.

pikapi02

Smash Rookie
I always used up on the analog stick. I didnt even know that y and x could until after I stopped playing melee

Sockless

Smash Rookie
i jump with up to short hob and every thing, it is a disavange except for useing fox i can shine short hop double lazer every time and it lets me jump out of my shine quicker so i can shine back air easily too. i slide with x

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
I used to use Y, but it was hard for me to SH with it, and it started sticking, so I switched to X.
I've been picking up Falco, and I still use X. I guess my hands are fast?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
up for jcing and full hop uairing sometimes

x for sh uair and only sh uair (y and flicking c stick is too much work)

y for everything else

also i use R for everything exept for wavedash outta shield so basically im pressing every button on the controller @ some point

john!

Smash Hero
The thing about Y is that your thumb goes right over the A button trying to press it... so if you're doing fast stuff, you could hit it accidentally. Besides, my thumb just swings over the X button without effort when I move it, but reaching for Y feels awkward as hell. X ftw.

Another weird thing I do is hold my thumb over the R button when I'm not using Z. This would be fine except I never use R. I prefer to WD OOS, L cancel, shield, do everything with L. R and Y might as well not be on my controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom