• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wynton "progducto" Smith To Retire From Commentary After EVO

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Ace commentator Wynton "progducto" Smith has been a mainstay of the SSBM community for several years, but recently he has been thrust even more heavily into the spotlight, commentating at the Smash Invitational @ E3, MLG Anaheim and the upcoming CEO and EVO 2014 events. During MLG Anaheim, many noticed his absence during points of the tournament. It turns out that these absences were health-related.

Prog is retiring...

Progducto recently sat down with OnGamers to talk about Smash Brothers, the community, and where he sees himself fitting into it all, and one thing is clear: prog does not plan to return to casting major tournaments for the foreseeable future. As someone who has played a large role in the revitalization of competitive Smash Brothers, it is tough to see a man of his caliber be forced to take a step back from the community, but progducto has made it clear that he hopes to be a part of the community in whatever capacity he can.

Watch the full interview here.

Prog shared some information Twitter this morning, and offered advice to those who look to follow in his footsteps:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Smashboards wishes all the best to prog during this transitional period. Stay strong! Reach out to progducto on Twitter at @progducto and let him know how much this community cares about him.

The Derrit isn't a huge fan of this news, but there's got to be a silver lining somewhere.... right? Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Oh, no!
But... if it's due to health issues, I understand.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Any idea what the health issues are?

That aside, that's a shame. Prog's a great guy.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ah.. that is a shame. Well, At least he plans on staying active.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I always had respect for you. I appreciated it whenever you gave me props for the little I did. Whatever you do in your life, make sure to smile once in a while.

God speed.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Damn! it's going to be really tough finding a person to fill that void.
let's hope D1 doesn't leave too.

Drover

Smash Cadet
I think what caused this was when Wife asked M2K "10 more years of Smash?" and M2K replied "20." Then Prog was like I'll be balder than I am now in 20 years.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
NOOOOOO!!!
he's my favorite commentator of all time, not just in smash, but out of everything.
we'll miss you bro...:falcomelee:

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
One of the many great voices behind this great scene is departing, but he will always be remembered.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
This is honestly sad. I've always enjoyed Prog's commentary. When he throws in his puns, those analogies, just everything...and he's such a genuine guy, very friendly. I could easily see Prog being a motivational speaker. Sad to see him step away from the mic, but I hope he takes care of himself and I wish him the best for his future endeavors both in and out of the community.

Much love, Prog.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Oh, that's too bad. I just recently got into watching competitive SSB, and he was one of my favorite commentators.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROG :'(

I hope he's able to sort out his health issues and return to the mic in the future. The dude was born to commentate.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Sad news for the smash community. We'll all be looking forward to seeing more of you, however you decide to stay with us, and will hope for the best for your health!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
At least he got to experience the excitement of being part of the Smash Bros. Invitational and the start of a bright future. Will be missed indeed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Smash commentating won't be the same again, Prog set the bar really high, and when he is co-commentating alongside D1 it's like magic happening, what a duo. Going to enjoy his last commentating before his retirement, I'm glad he told us in advance.

Best wishes to him in the future, and I'm glad he's at least going to stick around the community some.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Terrible news i have alot of respect for prog and i hope he recovers from his health issues. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I wasn't aware that Prog was suffering from health problems. Life really is too unfair sometimes. I don't know Prog personally, but he has always represented himself and the community in a very positive way and I respect that.

ShredderN64

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShredderN64
3DS FC
3093-7074-7292
You'll be missed, Prog. I hope everything works out for him. His work through the years will never be forgotten.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
PRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGG!!!!!!!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
jeez one of my favorite commentators is now retiring....this is a brutal loss. I only hope that we gain someone just as good as prog.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Prog, I know we already talked about this on Twitter and FB but I think this is a wonderful decision. Take care of yourself. We'll always be here for you when you feel better. Much love.

strawhats

Smash Master
wow...this is really sobering news on the high that has been a spectacular year for smash. Prog, you continue to be an inspiration to many individuals in this community. If it weren't for guys like you, D1, Scar, Brandon(HMW) and Phil; we wouldn't be where we are today. I pray that God removes whatever illness is troubling you. Be well my brother, and keep smiling.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
One of the best commentators this community ever had. We'll miss you, Prog. You'll always be apart of this great community. Get well soon.

:pow:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose there is enough pity in this thread; I do not have the inherent desire to contribute to that. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for him!

Hong

The Strongest
Nothing is worth sacrificing your health. Just take of yourself, friend.

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you from the bottom of my heart Prog. You have taught us to appreciate and love one another, to make this community into a family. I think we can all agree that we will never ever forget the father of the smash community - Wynton "Progducto" Smith :)

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
hate to hear this news. Best of luck to you prog and hope you get better soon! SPIKE THAT DISEASE! STOMP THAT ILLNESS! AND SMASH AWAY THE PAIN!

Top Bottom