• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wubbadubbadubba, 'zat true? - Rhythm Reporter For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

What do you think the chances are of a Rhythm Heaven game being made for the Switch?

• I feel it's very likely!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Well, I don't think it's an impossibility anyway.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Yeah, that's not happening.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

RHYTHM REPORTER (RHYTHM HEAVEN) FOR SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE
reporterramen1.png

WHO?
Rhythm Reporter is a character from the Rhythm Heaven series (known as Rhythm Paradise in PAL regions), making her debut in Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Wii in 2011. Her Rhythm Game, Ringside has you controlling a Wrestler, who is being interviewed by her. Depending on what she says, you have to press certain buttons to the beat of the song to nod your head, flex, or strike a pose

WHAT IS RHYTHM HEAVEN?
Rhythm Heaven is rhythm game series published by Nintendo, and developed by the same staff who make the Warioware series. Unlike most rhythm games where the buttons that you need to press are shown on screen, Rhythm Heaven instead has you figuring when to press the buttons by the beat and sound cues. It also has this quirky animation style that definitely sets it apart form other Rhythm Games. The series currently has 4 titles under it's belt:​

• Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA in 2006 (Japan Only)​
  • Rhythm Heaven on the DS in 2008 (Known as Rhythm Tengoku Gold in Japan)​
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Wii in 2011​
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix on the 3DS in 2015.​
WHY?
Out of all of Nintendo's ongoing series, Rhythm Heaven seems to be the only one without representation in Smash. The series has been going on since 2006 and has had it's most recent game (Rhythm Heaven Megamix on the 3DS) released in 2015/2016. However, despite doing very well in Japan, the series is a lot more niche in North America. Up to the point that Megamix got a digital only release there, while Japan and Europe also got it physical. If the sales keep going like this, the franchise could be in jeopardy. But don't fret... there is a solution. The inclusion of Marth in Smash proved that a franchise can become more popular if they are represented in Smash. Fire Emblem was on the brink of cancellation, But thanks to Smash, the series lives on to this day as a Highly successful franchise. I Think the same can happen With Rhythm Heaven If a character gets in.

Luckily, like Fire Emblem, Sakurai bias seems to be on Rhythm Heaven's Side. He is known to be a fan of the series. Up to the point where there was very clear evidence that a Rhythm Heaven character was planned for Smash 3DS and Wii U. A series icon for rhythm heaven can be seen in the games files under the characters. It's not known why they were scrapped, but some people believe it to be because of either technical problems with the 3DS, or time constraints. However, assuming that Super Smash Bros Ultimate is rumored to be Sakurai's last Smash game, Maybe he could give Rhythm Heaven a second chance...

When it comes to potential Rhythm Heaven characters for Smash, a lot of candidates are thrown around. There's Karate Joe, Chorus Kids, the Tap Trial Girl, The Wrestler, and even Tibby. However, I think Rhythm Reporter should be looked at as well for a bunch of reasons.

1. She comes from one of the more well known Rhythm Games in the Franchise
Her Rhythm Game, Ringside became famous online after it became the subject of Youtube parodies, replacing the Wrestler with other characters. This has been said to make Ringside (along with the Reporter) a lot more well known among the Rhythm Heaven community. The rhythm game in the game itself, is also very well received, being seen as one of the best rhythm games in the franchise, So much so, that It was brought back for Rhythm Heaven Megamix. The Reporter and Wrestler also got a trophy in Super Smash Bros 4, And Assuming Rhythm Heaven only had four trophies, that's pretty significant. She also more recently got a spirit in Ultimate.
Wrestler & Reporter
Wrestler&ReporterTrophyWiiU.png
Trophy Description:

NTSC:
"Live from the Rhythm Arena! When the reporter asks, "Wubbadubbadubba, 'zat true?" the wrestler will answer on the beat. When the reporter is amazed and says, "Whoa, you go, big guy!" the wrestler will flex and pose. Finally, when the other reporters request the wrestler to "pose for the fans!" he will do just that. Wubbadubbadubba, that's cool!"

PAL:
"Live from the Rhythm Arena, we bring you a true wrestling phenomenon! Swoon as he displays his outstanding physique! Marvel at his enlightening responses whenever he hears "Wubbadubbadubba, 'zat true?" And when he poses for the fans, we won't blame you if you faint. Whoa, you go, big guy!

Appears In:
Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) (02/2012)
(Rhythm Heaven Series)

Reporter & Wrestler
Wrestlergirl.png
Spirit Type: Primary, :starman::starman:, Shield
Abilities: No Effect (2 Support Slots)

Opponent: Giant Pikachu (Female Libre alt.)

Rules:
- Assist Trophy Enemies
- Easy to Launch

Conditions:
- You are easy to launch
- Hostile assist trophies will appear
(Yuri Kozukata)

Stage: Boxing Ring (Battlefield form)
Music: Title Theme - Punch-Out!! (Wii)

How to Unlock:
- Battle via World of Light (Mysterious Dimension)
- Battle via Spirit Board
- Purchase from the Vault Shop for 1000G

reporter and wrestler spirit.PNG

2. It really wouldn't be out of her character to use other items and characters from the series
Let's face it, If a Rhythm Heaven character got in, they would have to represent other rhythm games from the series in their move set, kind of like Mr. Game & Watch. Characters like Karate Joe and Chorus men would feel kinda weird if they were carrying around microphones and fishing rods. Not for the Reporter. She can use some items and it really wouldn't feel out of place for her. She can use golf clubs, fishing rods, and even her signature microphone. I also see a lot of famous Rhythm Heaven Characters being represented by her specials like the Chorus Men, Karate Joe, and The aforementioned Wrestler.

WHAT ABOUT THE WRESTLER? THE WRESTLER IS PROBABLY A MORE VIABLE FIGHTER.
I don't know about you, but I can see the Wrestler follow her around in a Rosalina & Luma style. That said, he isn't the main focus of the moveset. He would probably be a part of one of her specials (pose for the fans anyone?). Also he can appear for some of her grabs and take some hits for her as well... I don't know it's just being a grapple character really wouldn't be a good representation of RH. Besides, we already have Incineroar as a grappler type character. I also just think that the Reporter has a better personality.

POTENTIAL MOVESET (WORK IN PROGRESS)
Neutral Special: Ringside The Wrestler appears and one of three different scenarios happen
1. Reporter proclaims "WubbaDubbaDubba 'zat true?" press b again to make the wrestler nod. this does small amount of damage
2. Reporter Proclaims "Woah! You go Big Guy" Press B two more times to make him flex. This attack has two hitboxes
3. The camera crew says "Pose for the fans." Press down B to strike a pose. This attack does insane Knockback, However, it's sorta rare
Move Origin: Ringside (Rhythm Heaven Fever)

Side Special: Glee Club The Chorus Men will appear and the Reporter will say "together now", Press B to open the Chrous Kids' mouths. This attack can break shields
Move Origin: Glee Club (Rhythm Heaven DS)

Up Special: Night Walk If used in the air the reporter will jump off of a Block with a flower, This works as an extra jump. Also, The block has a Meteor Affect, Launching opponents downward. If used on the ground, She will just have a high jump. Like most recoveries, This puts her in a helpless state.
Move Origin: Night Walk (Rhythm Tengoku)

Down Special: Karate Man
Karate Joe will appear and punch one of several things flying by him.
1. Flower pots are the most common and do mediocre damage
2. The Soccer ball will bounce around the field
3. The Cooking Pot and the Lid will separate after Joe punches it, sending it in different directions
4. The rock does some pretty good damage, but it's fairly rare
5. If a Yellow light bulb flies by, that mean Karate Joe will punch a barrel. Inside the barrel is a bomb, which he will then kick. the Bomb's explosion can also hurt the reporter, so be careful.
6. If a Blue Light bulb flies by, that means A bunch of items will fly by, and Karate Joe will Uppercut the,. The uppercut has some insane damage and knock back.
After he punches the item, he Disappears. Also, like Duck Hunt's Down B, Karate Joe can also take a hit for the Reporter
Move Origin: Karate Man (Rhythm Tengoku)
Move Origin: Karate Man (Rhythm Heaven DS)
Move Origin: Karate Man (Rhythm Heaven Fever)

Final Smash: Rhythm Heaven
If the Final Smash connects with a target, it will Trigger a Cinematic Cut scene: The Reporter whistles, and calls a ton of Rhythm Heaven Characters to stampede the opponent, racking up tons of damage.
Alternate Costumes

reporterramen2alts.png

White - Default
Red - Based on Tap Trial Girl from Rhythm Tengoku
Pink - Based on Tibby from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Black - Based on the Double Date boy's crush from Rhythm Heaven Fever
Blue - Based on Munchy Monk from Rhythm Heaven DS
Green - Based on the Huebirds of Happiness from Rhythm Heaven Fever
Orange - Based on Mona's Game & Wario outfit, which the Reporter, herself wore in Rhythm Heaven Megamix's Wario Where? Mode
Gray - Based on Karate Joe

Stock Icons By Pakky
By Pakky

Potential Music For Her Inclusion

Ringside (Rhythm Heaven Megamix - The song that plays in her Rhythm Game, Ringside.
Remix 4 (Rhythm Heaven Fever) - Probably my favorite remix from the entire series... Ringside being a part if it, only helps.
Glee Club (Rhythm Heaven DS) - Easily one of the most iconic Rhythm Games...
Struck by the Rain (Rhythm Heaven DS) - This songs seems very battle worthy
Love Rap (Rhythm Heaven Fever) - This is a personal favorite of mine.
Tap Trial (Rhythm Heaven Fever) - This song has been with series since the first game, But the remastered version from Fever sounds better
Sumo Bros (Rhythm Heaven Megamix) - This song is way too amazing to pass up...
Left Hand Remix (Rhythm Heaven Megamix) - A medley of a bunch of Rhythm Games, Part 1
Right Hand Remix (Rhythm Heaven Megamix) - A medley of a bunch of Rhythm Games, Part 2
Final Remix (Rhythm Heaven Megamix) - A medley of a bunch of Rhythm Games, Part 3

Victory Theme
Her victory theme is a rendition of the Wii Menu Startup theme of Rhythm Heaven Fever

However like Cloud and Joker, the results theme also changes, this time being based on the theme you hear after you superb a rhythm game in Rhythm Heaven Fever.

SHE SOUNDS INTERESTING? HOW CAN I HELP?
You can help in two ways,
1. Give me some suggestions like a potential move set, or some alternate costumes (This page is far from complete, any help will be appreciated).

2. You can Show your Support for her inclusion
All you have to do is tell me in the thread replies that you support her inclusion. If you do, I will put your name under the Support list

RHYTHM NEWS TEAM (SUPPORTERS)
1. Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
2. Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku (Previous thread owner :))
3. AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
4. scoobymcsnack scoobymcsnack
5. GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
6. Caravan of Noobs Caravan of Noobs
7. Flyboy Flyboy
8. Graf von Tirol Graf von Tirol
9. smashkirby smashkirby
10. nintenplayer nintenplayer
11. Veggi Veggi
12. Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah!
Other Rhythm Heaven Support Threads
Rhythm Heaven (General)
Chorus Men
Karate Joe
Tap Trial Girl

Thank You so much For checking this out. This is a work in progress and I hope to update it regularly

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'll be the first to support.

Always lowkey wanted her or the Wrestler for a long time, but the reporter by herself would be cool.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Yes. I support. I like this character a lot, and she's probably my second choice for a Rhythm Heaven character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wholeheartedly support any RH representation I can get, and honestly out of all the possible characters the Reporter is arguably the most iconic. You go, big gal!

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Any Rhythm Heaven character that isn't from Glee Club is all right with me. Doesn't hurt that this girl's from the best rhythm game in Fever.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. This is my most-wanted Rhythm Heaven rep. She and the wrestler as a duo that references the series as a whole with their moveset. God yes.

I just adore how they look, especially their Smash 4 trophies. It's wild to me that they aren't more over than the Chorus Kids or Karate Joe considering this was the song with a million derivatives on YouTube.

Rhythm Reporter is a great name, though I was fond of Ringside Reporter which I read on here the other day. Better than Interviewer & Wrestler, I suppose.

You go, big guy!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Rhythm Reporter is a great name, though I was fond of Ringside Reporter which I read on here the other day. Better than Interviewer & Wrestler, I suppose.
I considered Ringside Reporter for a name, but I decided against it because adding the word Rhythm would instantly make people who are not really into RH know what she is trying to represent: the Rhythm Heaven series as a whole.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
I preferred the Japanese "Tekitekiteki desu ka?" (if mostly because I was introduced to it, and the Rhythm Heaven series by proxy, from the various meme videos it spawned before the Western release). That said, I support it!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If you don't mind, I'd like to support Rhythm Reporter. Rhythm Girl (or 'Ms. Rhythm' as I like to call her) is still my first choice for a RH character to be playable in Smash, but I wouldn't mind the Reporter either.

BTW... unless I'm wrong, I think you might just be the first person to make a support thread for the Reporter as a playable character all by her lonesome. Until now, I've always come across the concept of her following the Wrestler around as a 'RosaLuma'-type character, or the Wrestler himself fighting all alone.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, didn't know there was a support thread for this character. Count me in, guys! I think Reporter might be able to represent the "immense internet popularity" factor of RH extremely well. Also just any sort of RH rep in Smash will please me greatly, so

Veggi

Smash Champion
Reporter would be great. I think she would be the best choice for the series because it makes the most sense for her to be a summoner. I feel any rhythm heaven character by themselves would be a missed opportunity because they don't have a lot of material to work with. I definitely want a rep because they could bring rhythm based attacks to the game, which is something I don't think exists in any fighting game.

As for moveset, I think her Smash attacks could be interesting because the charged versions could all play songs, uncharged would skip to the point with player inputs and be weaker. But the fully charged smash attacks could have some cool effect or just be really strong. I think it would also be a good idea for her down, side, and neutral special to stay on the field until she puts them away or they take too much damage. Her summoning a character would also change the song to their respective mini-game's and the neutral special would universally be used to play along with the mini-game.

So basically she could use some of her attacks to create a hazard on screen that only acts as a hazard if she's playing along with the character's song.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
And we hit 10 Supporters, thanks guys!
As for moveset, I think her Smash attacks could be interesting because the charged versions could all play songs, uncharged would skip to the point with player inputs and be weaker. But the fully charged smash attacks could have some cool effect or just be really strong. I think it would also be a good idea for her down, side, and neutral special to stay on the field until she puts them away or they take too much damage. Her summoning a character would also change the song to their respective mini-game's and the neutral special would universally be used to play along with the mini-game.

So basically she could use some of her attacks to create a hazard on screen that only acts as a hazard if she's playing along with the character's song.
Hmmm, that's a pretty interesting idea, maybe I'll do what most support threads do and list more than one potential moveset, with one of them being you're intriguing idea...

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey guys, just thought I'd give my thoughts on a leak going known as the "banner leak" Or "Grinch leak", more specifically, it's inclusion of Chorus Kids... While I do want the Rhythm Reporter as a character, I mostly just want Rhythm Heaven representation and with the Chorus Kids, I would be getting that. Anyways if this leak does come true and Chorus Kids are confirmed for the game, will I take down this support thread?

No, I will not. I don't think it's too out of the question to have a second Rhythm Heaven rep, when some other small series like Xenoblade were rumored with a second character for a second rep for a while now. So yes, I'm keeping this thread up through the DLC speculation... So even if the Chorus Kids get in, we can still root for our favorite news girl..

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Hey guys, just thought I'd give my thoughts on a leak going known as the "banner leak" Or "Grinch leak", more specifically, it's inclusion of Chorus Kids... While I do want the Rhythm Reporter as a character, I mostly just want Rhythm Heaven representation and with the Chorus Kids, I would be getting that. Anyways if this leak does come true and Chorus Kids are confirmed for the game, will I take down this support thread?

No, I will not. I don't think it's too out of the question to have a second Rhythm Heaven rep, when some other small series like Xenoblade were rumored with a second character for a second rep for a while now. So yes, I'm keeping this thread up through the DLC speculation... So even if the Chorus Kids get in, we can still root for our favorite news girl..
It's still also possible that Chorus Kids could summon other characters as well. I'm excited for any rhythm heaven character though. I hope they work with the rhythm theme more so than the "3 characters" thing.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's still also possible that Chorus Kids could summon other characters as well. I'm excited for any rhythm heaven character though. I hope they work with the rhythm theme more so than the "3 characters" thing.
I think the likelihood that a Rhythm Heaven rep would summon other Rhythm Heaven characters for their final smash is pretty high. Like an actual Rhythm Choir.

Rhythm Heaven has a huge cast of characters, while some of them could show up in a standard moveset (similar to Duck Hunts down b) I think the best way to represent a lot of them would be for a group of Rhythm Heaven characters to appear in a final smash.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I loved seeing her as a Spirit! I bet she has a great gimmick for the event match. A tag team against someone like Isabelle and Incineroar? Hmmmm.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I loved seeing her as a Spirit! I bet she has a great gimmick for the event match. A tag team against someone like Isabelle and Incineroar? Hmmmm.
Yeah, I can totally see this happening, but if Isabelle isn't the Reporter, I feel as if Princess Daisy might be the Reporter.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So the game's out...
I haven't played it yet, but if any of you did, I have a question for ya

Does the Wrestler & the Reporter spirit have a Spirit Battle?

If so, what's it like?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So the game's out...
I haven't played it yet, but if any of you did, I have a question for ya

Does the Wrestler & the Reporter spirit have a Spirit Battle?

If so, what's it like?
They do! I haven't played it yet but my friend has. It's lucha Pikachu and the Yuri assist trophy and she takes a picture when Pikachu poses. Pretty hilarious

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
They do! I haven't played it yet but my friend has. It's lucha Pikachu and the Yuri assist trophy and she takes a picture when Pikachu poses. Pretty hilarious
Oh my goodness, that sounds amazing!
It definitely sounds better than any of the stuff I thought up of...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
They do! I haven't played it yet but my friend has. It's Pikachu Libre and the Yuri assist trophy and she takes a picture when Pikachu poses. Pretty hilarious
Wow! I get Yuri Kozukata as the Reporter (VERY nice touch by Nintendo, BTW), but they really DIDN'T go the obvious 'Incineroar as the Wrestler' route??? Despite all of his in-game posing? Really???

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wow! I get Yuri Kozukata as the Reporter (VERY nice touch by Nintendo, BTW), but they really DIDN'T go the obvious 'Incineroar as the Wrestler' route??? Despite all of his in-game posing? Really???
Eh, it makes sense when you remember that the RH Wrestler seems to be based on a luchador, while Incineroar takes more inspiration from Japanese and American wrestling. So I see why they chose Pikachu Libre, who's also based on a luchador.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Eh, it makes sense when you remember that the RH Wrestler seems to be based on a luchador, while Incineroar takes more inspiration from Japanese and American wrestling. So I see why they chose Pikachu Libre, who's also based on a luchador.
Wait, so Incineroar isn't based on a Luchador like Pikachu Libre? Huh, guess you learn something new every day...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just changed most of the videos on this page to links, so all of you mobile users can enjoy this thread more, without it crashing...

Sorry it was likely like that, beforehand

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
The lack of Rythn Heaven stuff is just too awkward.
Yeah looking at Smash 4, they had some music put in, trophies and an enemy in Smash Run, with reason to believe they were going to get a character orcsomething kind.

In Ultimate they got like one more song and a high amount of spirits for an otherwise unrepped series. They didn't even get a Mii costume or assist trophy. Almost makes me hopeful they're saving songs and content for a DLC character, maybe as the one Nintendo IP that hasn't had a character and wasn't a victim of the costume/AT massacre, but I should keep expectations reasonable...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey y'all. So I've decided that I'm going to quit the site for now.

As such, I'm looking for a new owner to take care of this thread

Any takers?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I wouldn't mind.

Always wanted to own a thread.
Excellent!

We need to get in contact with one of the Ultimate Newcomer Mods to get everything sorted.

If I'm correct, they're gonna take one of your posts, and move it over as the first post to replace mine. Thus, shifting the ownership over to you.

But for now, thank you! You have my blessing!

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Excellent!

We need to get in contact with one of the Ultimate Newcomer Mods to get everything sorted.

If I'm correct, they're gonna take one of your posts, and move it over as the first post to replace mine. Thus, shifting the ownership over to you.

But for now, thank you! You have my blessing!
Oh, so I should get to making a post then, huh?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Oh, so I should get to making a post then, huh?
They can take pretty much any post iirc. Whether it be a newer one, or an older one...

Once it shifts over, you can edit that post to make it up to date and such...

Anyways, this is very surreal. I feel like Andy at the end of Toy Story 3 giving his toys away.

It's saddening, but I think it's necessary.

Thanks once again.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, with Byleth being a 1st party character added as DLC, what do you all think of Rhythm Heaven's chances now?

Top Bottom