• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wry Mustache Man: Dominating Strategies Discussion

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Do you have to be in a certain position or distance from Robin? I tried it in Training Mode a few times and just got hit.
Yeah, it has to be a certain position for sure. I've also eaten the explosive moves such as Din's Fire and PK Flash by chomping right on the edge of it's hitbox. Pacman's grounded hydrant seems to act pretty similar to those, as well.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Probably be better to shield than risk getting hit if it's that specific then. Not like you'll get anything out of eating it.

I've only ever managed to eat Pac's hydrant once whenever I tried going for it lol

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I've been maining Wario since the 3DS days, and even today I have been trying to consistently play him at a high level, and have placed well with him in tournaments.

Even so, is it just me, or is Nair almost useless now? I generally only really use it defensively, as the hitbox is the length of an inchworm's ****. Am I just using it wrong?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Even so, is it just me, or is Nair almost useless now? I generally only really use it defensively, as the hitbox is the length of an inchworm's ****. Am I just using it wrong?
There's a small hitbox at the end of the animation near Wario's belly. If you hit them with it, they'll go into the air and you can easily follow up with just about any other aerial attack (unless their percent is really high). At low percentages you can even land a waft if timed right.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
NAir is a pretty good OoS that leads to potential follow ups for great damage. Also the sourspot frames of the move is good for catching rolls, Abadango does that a lot.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I still find that there are better OoS options, and it's combo potential is very limited as it only works around the 20-40% range.

What matchups with the mid to high tiers do you think Wario has a favorable matchup in? Just want to see everywario's opinions.

I know that there is a matchup thread, but because there is an overall lack of Wario mains, not much discussion happens and it ends up taking forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel like with the recent nerfs we can definitely handle Sonic. I don't wanna say downright beat, but yeah.

Also what better OoS options does Wario have?

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
A half charged Waft or fully charged Quick Waft seem like the only other viable options.

It's kind of hilarious that the frame 3 super armor on the latter is quick enough to stuff most jab combos if you drop shield and use the moment the second hit of a three hit combo connects.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Can anyone draw for me a close enough representation on how big and wide his fully charged waft hitbox looks like?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So are there any real uses for Wario's up B customs? I've seen lots of talks over his other customs but not his up B ones.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So are there any real uses for Wario's up B customs? I've seen lots of talks over his other customs but not his up B ones.
I guess you could use Corkscrew Leap if you want to go really deep with your edgeguards or a safety measure in case you lose your bike. Widescrew is weird. I keep going back and forth with it.

I think default is the best by far though. :x

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't feel like the extra range on leap warrants the loss of the hitbox on the standard Corkscrew that makes it surprisingly safe.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is it possible to combo a bike hit into wheelie slam at reasonably high percents with regular bike? There's been occassions where I saw it and I did it yesterday but I'm not sure if it's a true combo per se.

I imagine if it is then it's pretty precise and strict to get but I'm wondering if we could make it an option that we could use in a match to close a stock. I DEFINITELY want wheelie kills to become a thing. :p

I'll show an example but I'm typing this in a hurry rn. I know Abadango did it in a video.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
I would love to see that. Right now the only wheelie slams I ever land are offstage ones if the opponent recovers very predictably. :laugh:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I would love to see that. Right now the only wheelie slams I ever land are offstage ones if the opponent recovers very predictably. :laugh:
Yeah I made a quick vid of it
https://youtu.be/mNOdX6vtasU

Its actually pretty easy to get (just make sure you can slam the wheelie down before dropping off the ledge, so the position of the initial hit is important) but it's escapable. Not sure if it's a practical and safe set up or not, but hey, it works on Sheik at 70% and kills her on the spot at that range for what it's worth.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's a true combo at specific percents on specific characters with specific DI (and not the kind that is intuitive). Basically not gonna happen in a real match. The wheelie slam doesn't hit on the way down, either, so you can't hit someone on a platform with it, unfortunately.

That said, post-wheelie slam, you're not terribly punishable. In fact, if you hit with the front of the Bike (as in, the hit is well-spaced), the pushback is significant enough where you can't get shieldgrabbed before you're able to do a Bike turnaround or another Wheelie to create more hitboxes. :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you're in a wheelie state, the only characters that can shieldgrab you are Bowser, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ike, Lucario, Lucina, Marth, Mewtwo, Palutena, Peach, Pit, Robin, Rosalina, and Wii Fit Trainer.

However, if you run into a shield at full speed with the Bike, hesitate for a few frames after the hitlag, then start a wheelie (as compared to getting those hitboxes as close as possible), you'll end up behind the opponent before they can shieldgrab you, and if they try to shieldgrab immediately, they'll just get hit by the wheelie.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
D-Air has one-frame gaps between hits, so you're taking a 50/50 chance with it, but it's still a solid option.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I guess not, though there's a decent bit of endlag so they can try to edgeguard you on a miss immediately afterward.

I would tell you to try to hit them before they get so close to the ledge or to use it for ledgeguarding instead (which Wario is exceptionally good at).

Labernash

Smash Lord
I just ledge crashed a bike and full charge wafted offstage for and edge guard. The bike gave me an extended hitbox so it hit pikachu through his up b.

Pretty interesting how easy it was to input all of that for how effective it was.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some in-depth information on Down-Tilt:

D-Tilt doesn't have fixed knockback, so its frame advantage is affected by Rage and the victim's percents. Higher knockback pushes people away further (duh), but because its knockback is so small until you get to 150+%, it doesn't put people into tumble, which means it cannot be DI'd.

On shield, D-Tilt gives -11 frame advantage, but your hand is not a grabbable hurtbox, so we're working with something like Meta Knight/Pikachu D-Tilt in terms of general safety here, as it takes seven frames to drop a shield normally. You're vulnerable to some Up-Bs out of shield if not well-spaced, though, because your hand is still hittable.

Wario's D-Tilt has two hitboxes: One at the glove that sends opponents at a 46-degree angle and one at the finger that sends opponents at a 67-degree angle. Same power and knockback, but the glove hitbox has priority over the finger one. The following numbers all assume 0% Rage with a fresh D-Tilt with the close hitbox. and they're pretty dependent on weight and fall speed (fall speed can sometimes mean we don't get the couple frames of landing lag to exploit). Generally speaking, the lower those are, the better frame advantage we have.

At +5, D-Tilt -> D-Tilt, D-Tilt -> Dash Attack, and D-Tilt into Half Waft are true combos. The last one has to be right on top of the opponent or a run turnaround D-Tilt.

At +8, D-Tilt -> Jab, D-Tilt -> Dash Grab, and D-Tilt -> D-Smash are true combos. The last one has to be right on top of the opponent or a run turnaround D-Tilt.

Some characters who are hit by D-Tilt can buffer a command before they touch the ground. Because you can only buffer one command at a time, and buffer priority is Special > Shield > Attack > Jump, opponents attempting to Shield, Grab, or Roll will buffer an airdodge, giving you 20 more frames of vulnerability than normal (compared to the two extra from landing lag). Have you ever landed D-Tilt -> F-Smash before? It's likely because of this. Only a handful of characters have this property at any range, but many more have it from a D-Tilt that hits at the tip. Here's a list that shows what characters it works on:

Any range: Jigglypuff, Kirby, Olimar, Peach, Rosalina

Tip only: Bowser Jr. (100+%), Dark Pit, Donkey Kong (very specific distance; not recommended), Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Lucario, Lucina, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Mewtwo, Mii Gunner (small), Mr. Game and Watch, Ness, Pac-Man, Pit, Robin (65+%), Samus, Shulk (non-Jump), Sonic (75+%), Toon Link, Villager, Wario (95+%), Wii Fit Trainer (54+%), Yoshi, Zelda

Doesn't work: Bowser, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox, Ganondorf, Greninja, Ike, King Dedede, Link, Mega Man, Meta Knight, Mii Swordsman (small), Palutena, Pikachu, R.O.B., Sheik, Shulk (Jump), Zero Suit Samus
Yellow numbers denote 50% Rage, Orange numbers signify 100% Rage, and Red numbers represent 150% Rage.

Character | +5 Frame Advantage | +8 Frame Advantage | Can buffer up close? | Can buffer at tip?
Mario | 48%, 44% , 33% , 23% | 88% | No | Yes
Luigi | 29%, 26% , 16% , 8% | 65% | No | Yes
Peach | 20% | 53% | Yes | Yes
Bowser | 60% | 110% | No | No
Yoshi | 39%, 35% , 24% , 15% | 79% | No | Yes
Rosalina and Luma | 9%, 6% , 0% , 0% | 38% | Yes | Yes
Bowser Jr. | 60% | 101% | No | Yes at 100+%
Wario | 59% | 100% | No | Yes at 95+%
Donkey Kong | 37% | 82% | No | No
Diddy Kong | 59%, 53% , 43% , 32% | 93% | No | No
Mr. Game and Watch | 33% | 67% | No | Yes
Little Mac | 35% | 70% | No | Yes
Link | 50% | 94% | No | No
Zelda | 22% | 55% | No | Yes
Sheik | 54%, 51% , 41% , 30% | 88% | No | No
Ganondorf | 65% | 102% | No | No
Toon Link | 36% | 66% | No | Yes
Samus | 32% | 71% | No | Yes
Zero Suit Samus | 55%, 50% , 39% , 30% | 87% | No | No
Pit | 26% | 65% | No | Yes
Palutena | 58% | 92% | No | No
Marth | 29% | 64% | No | Yes
Ike | 59% | 100% | No | No
Robin | 51% | 92% | No | Yes at 65+%
Duck Hunt | 31% | 66% | No | Yes
Kirby | 12% | 41% | Yes | Yes
King Dedede | 26% | 71% | No | No
Meta Knight | 54% | 86% | No | No
Fox | 54% | 86% | No | No
Falco | 55% | 87% | No | No
Pikachu | 54%, 49% , 39% , 29% | 86% | No | No
Charizard | 66% | 104% | No | No
Lucario | 44% | 84% | No | Yes
Jigglypuff | 0%, 0% , 0% , 0% | 22% | Yes | Yes
Greninja | 59% | 93% | No | No
R.O.B. | 56% | 99% | No | No
Ness | 33%, 29% , 19% , 10% | 69% | No | Yes
Captain Falcon | 62%, 57% , 45% , 34% | 98% | No | No
Villager | 35% | 72% | No | Yes
Olimar/Alph | 17% | 49% | Yes | Yes
Wii Fit Trainer | 53% | 91% | No | Yes at 54+%
Shulk (non-Jump) | 47% | 87% | No | Yes
Shulk (Jump) | 61% | 97% | No | No
Dr. Mario | 48% | 88% | No | Yes
Dark Pit | 26% | 65% | No | Yes
Lucina | 29% | 64% | No | Yes
Pac-Man | 25% | 60% | No | Yes
Mega Man | 61% | 94% | No | No
Sonic | 52%, 48% , 37% , 26% | 93% | No | Yes at 75+%
Mewtwo | 24% | 58% | No | Yes
Mii Gunner (small) | 36% | 77% | No | Yes
Mii Swordsman (small) | 48% | 92% | No | No
Mii Brawler (small) | | | |

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Wow, that is incredibly well written and informative! Thank you!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's just frame advantage. The chart shows the minimum percent (before the hit) to get at least that much frame advantage on hit.

Hitting with the finger gives you very slightly better frame advantage than hitting with your glove (45% vs. ~42%, perhaps), but since the glove hitbox has priority, the opponent should be moving around, and you generally won't have enough time to react to which hitbox you landed, all of my numbers are for the glove hitbox.

It's pretty negligible, and there's no percent where hitting with the finger will give you less frame advantage than hitting with the glove, so all that really means is that if you combo D-Tilt -> D-Tilt, the second hit will always be the finger hitbox, and even though it's a little stale (since you just did two D-Tilts in quick succession), you'll have the same frame advantage as the first hit had.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario's jumpsquat is Frame 5, and F-Air is Frame 5, so I suppose it would combo from D-Tilt at very high percents, but I don't see why you'd want to do that when it combos into Dash Grab and Dash Attack at lower percents.

Jab is kind of terrible regardless, and I wouldn't recommend using it to follow up D-Tilt under any circumstance.

GanonDuck

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ganonduck
Ah, of course. I havnt really incorporated dtilt into my game yet, so far ive mostly used dtilt > grab or dtilt > ftilt, or dtilt > try to read their movement if they are very roll happy when they get hit by anything.

Dtilt > Ftilt works suprisingly well against most people, tho i guess in theory there are better options.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
D-Tilt -> F-Tilt will not combo at any reasonable percent, but if they choose to drop their shield at just the wrong (right?) time, F-Tilt will hit. Otherwise it generally gets powershielded.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Not very useful, but also hilarious at the same time... I've taken a few stocks by eating an explosive item. Like say when you grab Link's bomb, you can throw it in front of you and eat it while moving towards him. Or you can catch Bowser Jr if they're dangerously close their own Mecha Koopa running about.

The self-explosion is surprisingly powerful, has a few invincibility frames (from what I've tested). But honestly, only do it for the sake disrespect! :laugh:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In Brawl, the "eat explosive" animation is completely invincible from Frames 1-19, and it hits on Frame 19. (EDIT: Just tested; this appears to still be the case.)

In Brawl, I used to do it to gimp Toon Links who throw bombs up from the ledge to cover themselves, heh.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Apparently, if you jump off the Bike on the ground after doing a Wheelie, it doesn't have the normal driving hitbox as you jump off or the 3% "rolling" hitbox after you dismount. Pretty negligible situation, as after you Wheelie you should be behind your opponent, but, something I noticed while messing around five minutes ago. If you turn the Bike around after a Wheelie, those hitboxes come back if you dismount afterward.

Also, if you press/hold Up as the front of your Bike overlaps ground (either via the edge of the stage or going through any platform, any jumping momentum you have will be canceled and you'll immediately go into a Wheelie, getting the second Wheelie hitbox as if you did a Wheelie normally. This can be used for platform pressure or to move safely/with trickery around something like the Smashville platform, as the Wheelie positioning

Also-also, being in the air with the Bike gives it a hitbox, no matter the speed. If you ride the Bike on the ground toward the edge at any speed and don't press Forward as you get to the edge, the Bike will slow to a crawl and tilt downward just before it goes over the edge. This seems to be a perfect position to cover the ledge with a disjointed hitbox to catch the ledge snap vulnerability. It only does 1-2% damage so it doesn't send them far, but that might be enough to disrupt and pressure them for a potential follow-up afterward...

Also-also-also, the game seems to do the "is this an aerial Bike?" check on the first frame of the Forward-B animation, so if you run to the edge, press Forward-B, and slide off the stage before the mounting animation is finished, though you still get the aerial hop and everything, you can pull another Bike out during that air time as if your first one were done entirely on the ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom