• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wrath's Sonic?! How can G&W match up against Sonic?

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
wow, nice nouveau. never thought about using platforms like that. also f-tilt is better than d-tilt in this MU i think, because of the coverage and lingering hitbox

also OP, keep in mind: it is the worst one! seriously, it's g&w's #1 worst matchup.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
wow, nice nouveau. never thought about using platforms like that. also f-tilt is better than d-tilt in this MU i think, because of the coverage and lingering hitbox.
Yeah ftilt can stuff some of Sonic's stuff, but it can't be too often or Sonic will get the punish timing easily.
I figured out using platforms like that after losing to a Sonic at Nebs for a solid hour... time well spent, I learned a lot. Too bad it made me too mentally tired to make it out of my pool :/

phantoon

Smash Cadet
I've posted this before put a reverse upsmash can work wonders against Sonic's side B. You gotta time it right, but Sonic will hit the invencibility and get hit. This will only work if G&W back is turned to where the side B is coming, needless to say. Obviously you need to mix it up and not get predictable, but at least you can threaten Sonic with something whenver he comes spin dashing at you.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Considering that G&W doesn't have the speed Sonic has, approaching and getting grab combos will be difficult, so I would recommend spacing Sonic out, using G&W's longer ranged moves, notably f-tilt and maybe d-tilt, but mostly f-tilt since d-tilt is a little laggy. Don't try to force anything, since that will get you punished. When in the air, look out for Sonic's b-air since not only does it kill somewhat early, but it has some good range. Mixing things up, at least for me when I go up against sonic's, is the key here.

Top Bottom