• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wow would you look at that, an MU chart.

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

sheNanagans

Smash Apprentice
My super quick List of the top of my head.

Pika Loses to: Peach, Mario, Toon Link, G&W, Kirby, IC's
Pika Slightly loses to: Wario, Luigi, Link, Puff, Marth.
Pika slightly beats: Diddy, Falcon, Shiek, Samus, Ivysaur, Ness, DDD, Roy, Snake, Rob
Pika Wins against: Bowser, DK, Zelda, Ganon, Charizard,
All others are even

I'm unfamiliar with: Yoshi (I feel like this is even), Wolf (I feel like this is even), Mewtwo (I feel like this is slight edge pika), Samus, ZSS (I feel like ZSS wins as I play both characters, but have never played this MU), Pit (I feel like Pika wins this), Olimar (Probably Olimar favored), Sonic (Probably even), and Meta Knight (I feel like MK wins this MU).

Please debate me :p

Last edited:

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
I think if I were to differ shenanagans is the peach and DK stances. I feel like peach isnt that bad, especially in pm where we can zoom around her and bair her. With dk though I think its more even as his huge hitboxes can stuff a lot of what he we have, as well as his grapples are pretty devastating on us. I think against Pit as well that it's hard, since he has an obnoxiously strong chain grab on us. I agree with a lot else of what you say however.

Extreme Disadvantage |-3|
:lucas:
It's a little hard |-2|
:pit::toonlink:
Barely a Challenge |-1|
:mewtwopm::falco::dk2::popo::link2::luigi2::metaknight::olimar::peach::samus2::mario2::rob:
Straight Fire |0|
:bowser2::falcon::charizard::diddy::fox::ike::ivysaur::kirby2::lucario::marth::gw::ness2::pikachu2::sheik::sonic::squirtle::wario::yoshi2::zerosuitsamus::roypm:
What are you doing kid |1|
:ganondorf::snake::wolf:
I'm sorry |2|
:dedede::zelda:
ROFL |3|
:jigglypuff:

I believe pika is a character where if you want mostly neutral or slightly hard matchups you're good.

Lucas straight up is ****ing terrifying to fight against. Disjoints, dair into upsmash, incredible neutral, hard to edgeguard, hard hard combos, traditional moves don't work on him, he is simply a very difficult matchup to fight.

Pit is -2 to me just because of his chain grab. That **** is stupid easy to perform, and he has a grand projectile and good hitboxes to beat pika out. Same with toon link, he is a faster link with good projectiles and a strong grab game on pika, it used to be worse until they nerfed his dthrow.

Dedede simply cant edgeguard pika, and a lot of our moves beat him out. His aerial dominance is weak compared to how quickly pika can traverse the ground, and you can actually trap him with quick attack spam since none of his moves come out quickly enough to stop it reliably. Avoid his grab and you should be fine.

Zelda is slow, dies early, and a very easy to gimp recovery. Seriously stay within range to punish any dins attempts while badgering her with pokes and jolts. If you play this right you should box her in with no options.

Jiggs is dumb I just quick attack under her bairs and upsmash and she dies at 40 or something. I don't see how one could lose this matchup, she can't even edgeguard properly against pika at all.

And the all important Fox as a neutral. Fox is tough, he hits had and kills early. We also hit hard, and we can kill even earlier. Uthrow chaingrabs and dthrow footstools can obliterate him, and upsmash and laser camping can make it hard for pika. Using qac in this matchup is dangerous, as his moves can easily knock us out. We have many reliable kill options on fox however, from uthrow upsmash, to backthrow b reverse jolt.

Last edited:

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Gonna be interesting to see the differences and similarities between our lists. Here's mine:

Disadvantage | -2 | 40:60
:roypm::mario2::peach::falco::lucas:

Slight Disadvantage | -1 | 45:55
:wario::toonlink::lucario::gw::rob::fox::diddy::wolf::mewtwopm::pit:

Even | 0 | 50:50
:falcon::sheik::yoshi2::jigglypuff::sonic::luigi2::dk2::zerosuitsamus::squirtle:

Slight Advantage | ±1 | 55:45
:marth::snake::ness2::charizard::samus2::kirby2:

Advantage | +2 | 60:40
:zelda::ganondorf::dedede::link2::bowser2:

Not played enough to judge:
:olimar::ike::metaknight::popo::ivysaur:

I think Pikachu has a pretty unpolarized matchup spread overall. He doesn't beat many characters easily, but he can also pull through even his worst MUs with some effort.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Good work everyone!
So far it looks like the following MU have to be discussed do to their difference in scores:
:ivysaur::kirby2::link2::roypm:

Not solely based on the scores presented here, but in addition the other side of the coins as well.

Last edited:

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Not played a good Ivysaur so can't comment on that MU.

Link I feel a lot of people struggle with as players rather than as their characters.

In the neutral, he's still super slow and really has no way to threaten Pika besides throwing bombs and boomerangs and hoping you get hit. Most of his moves have tons of commitment/end lag, which doesn't make for a great neutral against a patient Pikachu.

In terms of the punish game, he's complete combo food for Pikachu. You can pretty much just carry him across the stage and off with nairs, or juggle him forever. Additionally all Pika's throws can set up for some big damage or an edgeguard opportunity on Link, and he can be chaingrabbed a bit as well. Edgeguarding him is also very doable once you get used to his options. Meanwhile, Link's normally great edgeguarding isn't very effective against Pikachu and he doesn't rack up damage too well, either. It's particularly hard for him to keep Pikachu in the air and pressured, or even just punish Pikachu's landings, due to his slow run speed and Pikachu's ability to land quickly with QAC.

Overall, once you have a good anti-projectile game it's easy to close the distance, box Link in and force him to make a big commitment, and then proceed to carry him off stage when he screws up. His lack of mobility and low commitment ground moves just makes for a rough time against a character like Pikachu that can capitalize on a whiffed move so well.

As for Roy, Easily one of our worst imo, though a bit better in 3.6 than it was in 3.5. Roy just holds down and presses A and Pikachu cries. When placed against Pikachu he has all the strengths Marth does against us (good mobility, damage racking/juggling, range advantage), but unlike Marth we can't live forever against him, and his incredible CC game makes it much harder to do anything safely to him. Besides his general mobility, range and CC game, even Roy's Side B can shut down a lot of Pikachu's options in the neutral while being somewhat hard to punish. See more recent sets of Axe vs Sethlon. Axe at least doesn't seem to like the MU as he's been playing other characters against Sethlon more recently.

Idk, Roy's just always seemed awful to me. Could be a player thing but I can't see how it could be an even or good matchup even on paper. The only plus we really have against him is his fallspeed; his recovery isn't actually noticably weaker to Pika edgeguarding than Marth's or anything.

Edit for Kirby:

Can be annoying, but Pikachu actually gets to outrange someone for once, is more mobile, has a projectile, and Usmash kills Kirby ridiculously early. Just try not to fall into Kirby's harder punishes and neutral game gimmicks and it's not difficult imo.

Last edited:

DaTrueCommander

Smash Rookie
I can't pretend to know all of Pika's MU so I'll just talk about the ones I know well.

ROY (-3): I really agree with you Psyant, about the Roy MU. He has all of Marth's spacing tools, but unlike Marth, you can't simply walk in his sword to avoid the tipper, instead you'll be walking directly in his sweet spot! I find it awfully difficult to recover against an opponent who would simply stand on the ledge spamming either neutral B or fsmash. Miss the sweet spot and you're dead. Try to go above or through them and more often then not it will kill you. Roy really forces Pika to have a perfect recovery, plus he has a crazy good neutral game against him. The only bright side is that once you catch him good, he's total combo food, and pretty easy to edgeguard if you have the tech skills for it. Overall, though, I'd say it's one of Pika's worst MUs.

BOWSER (-2): Bowser is a very hard MU for Pika because of his CC. It pretty much renders all of Pika's approaches useless, and moves that would normally start combos like utilt and rising uair won't work most of the time. Bowser being an incredible tank, usmash doesn't kill him easily. You gotta abuse grabs to keep him from taking too much advantage of his CC. Bowser can be tricky to edgeguard, since his up B beats Pika's nair, and he moves so far horizontally.

MR GAME & WATCH (-2): Another MU that is bad for Pika almost entirely because of CC. G&W can simply CC everything Pika throws at him and dtilt, and he has good follow ups on his throws. That same dtilt is also probably the best edgeguarding tool there is against Pika. G&W can cover the ledge easily to prevent Pika from sweet spotting, which makes recovering pretty tricky. Pika does have good combos on G&W, but I've always struggled to sneak in that early usmash or that surprise bair to close off stocks.

LUIGI (-1): This MU is a bit weird. Luigi does have a slight advantage against Pika, mainly because of his hit recovery. He can often break your uair chains with his nair, which can kill at pretty low percentages on small stages. Both characters have a great ground game, which makes for some interesting spacing, but overall I think Luigi's is a bit better. Luigi being Luigi, he's also pretty much the only character even Pika struggles to edgeguard. On the other hand, usmash will kill at crazy low percentages on all stages except the biggest ones, especially if you snipe them with down B.

GANONDORF (-1): Ganon hits like a train and has good range on most of his moves. He has good chain grabs on Pika, and his ftilt is a scary spacing tool. On the other hand, Ganondorf can't edgeguard Pika in his craziest dreams, but Pika has a complete tool set to dispose of him. Learning to snipe people with neutral B is very useful.

FALCON (+1): Falcon has a great punish game and hits like a truck if you get knee'd, but if you live past a certain threshold, you'll live forever. He has one of the worst recoveries. Simply taking advantage of that makes the MU much easier.

LINK (+1): I think this MU is pretty even overall, with both characters having good combos on each other. Pika can simply go through Link's boomerang or arrows with a nair, which makes it difficult for Link to maintain his space. Most of Pika's tilts come out faster than Link's and dthrow into usmash can kill at certain percentages. Because Pika's spark follows the stage, it's really dangerous for Link to use his tether, especially on walled stages.

ZELDA (+2): Zelda is a charm to play against. Pika can simply overwhelm her with a flurry of little hits and juggle her for days at low percentages. Usmash kills at very low percentages, and Pika's speed and mobility make it very hard for Zelda to use her projectile at all. Plus, nair beats her side B, so it's not even that threatening. Her recovery is also very easy to predict, which makes edgeguarding pretty easy. If you can force her to recover on the stage from far away enough, she'll have enough landing lag on her up B for you to do pretty much anything you want.

Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucario, Marth, Ike, DK, Sonic, Kirby and Dedede are all pretty even MUs in my opinion. The others, I don't know them well enough to give a good estimate.

Tarul

Smash Cadet
I play a bit of Pikachu against my friend's Ike and G&W, so I can talk about those matchups.

Ike(-1): Playing against Ike feels like an in-between Marth/Roy. His sword is huge and nasty, and pretty much outranges all of our options. Pikachu gets combo'd to the next moon and back by nair trains. Fair kills obnoxiously Pikachu obnoxiously early, and it can be used to edgeguard fairly effectively. However, unlike Roy, Ike has an abysmal crouch cancel, so we can pretty much aerial without worry in that regard (though Ike nair/fair spacing makes being aerial-happy fairly difficult). Overall, I feel that the things that you do against Marth are pretty much the same against Ike (he's slower, but he gets a bigger reward when he does hit you). You combo him very easily, dash-dancing baits out a lot of slower options, and Ikes that spam QD in neutral get shut down by thunderjolt (weird as it sounds). Pikachu also has options to deal with Ike's crazy recovery - thunderjolt can stop side-b, YOLO aerials can hit Ike while he's QD'ing, and f-smash can hit Ike out of aether with proper spacing. However, I still feel that Ike gets rewarded a lot more than Pikachu in this matchup, which is why I feel it's slightly in Ike's favor.

Mr. Game & Watch (-1): Crouch cancelling and disjoints make Pikachu pretty sad. Couple that with a hard-to-gimp recovery, and G&W spells trouble. Luckily, Pikachu is fast enough to bait out G&W 's options and punish with cross-up nairs/dairs, and tomahawks. Up-smash kills obnoxiously early, and Pikachu can punish G&W fairly well when he's coming down from up-b (bair if G&W dairs, up-air if he bairs). I feel like this matchup is entirely about patience. Just wait for G&W to do something, and punish accordingly.

Top Bottom